Poll

More interactive environment?

yes94%94% - 47
no6%6% - 3
Total: 50
H0ly(rap
+10|6721|Nebraska
I know it would take a LOT more work and a lot out of the gameplay but wouldent it be cool if there was a bigger interactive environment in these games?  Like buildings that come down if enough shells go into it, or something of the sort?
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6702
Sort of like Soldner: Secret Wars, where they attempted to do that, but they completely cocked it up. Laggy, boring, glitchy and a waste of £30!
EvilJebus
+11|6625
Yeah, because that would be an easy thing to implement
SlickWRX
+6|6744
I'd like to see more if the objects destroyable, however you you gotta realize how badly the game would suck if you made everything destroyable.  Imaging a map with jets or choppers.  They would have the buildings turned into rubble in no time flat.  Then you'd have to capture a flag on a big pile of rubble or on flat land if you have the rubble disappear.  Now if they used damage models and allowed the dynamics of a building to change based on the damage it has taken that would be cool.  Just as long as the building only would reach a certain level of destroyed.  Think more like swiss cheese and less like a pile of rocks.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6752|Upper Franconia
This would cause all the servers to explode. Also, I'm sure this would be buggy like hell. And it would look very strange if an engineer with his wrench waves somewhere in the air and 10 meters away a new house pops up.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

While it sounds nice from the perspective of a non-technical gamer, it would be impossible to achieve with this engine, while still maintaining its notoriously tenuous barrier against lag, crashes, and other performance issues. Malleable terrain is regrettably out of the question...do you really want to rebuild lightmaps in real-time when stray bombs smack into the dirt?

What CAN be done easily, however, is filling new buildings with individual static mesh walls here and there with "weakened-looking" textures. These could be blown apart just like the wooden fences.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-13 06:02:35)

jakethepyro
+7|6633
cows
xbrandomx
+9|6650
It would be cool if we could actually open doors and go inside buildings... maybe have little firefights inside... climb stairs inside a building to get to the top and surprise the sniper?  I think that'd be a cool interactive environment.
MrE`158
+103|6623
If you want firefights inside buildings, play Special Forces and head for the Warlord map.  If you want to climb stairs and slaughter camping snipers, try the TV tower on Sharqi.  I went up there recently as an Anti-Tank, tore apart three snipers with my DAO-12 and then blew up their chopper with an AT round as it came back in for repairs.  Fun, fun, fun!
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.

MrE`158 wrote:

If you want firefights inside buildings, play Special Forces and head for the Warlord map.  If you want to climb stairs and slaughter camping snipers, try the TV tower on Sharqi.  I went up there recently as an Anti-Tank, tore apart three snipers with my DAO-12 and then blew up their chopper with an AT round as it came back in for repairs.  Fun, fun, fun!
You actually mean you made it past the 26 claymores?
MrE`158
+103|6623
Well, if you're part of a squad, and you've got a medic, it's not that hard.  Myself with the shotgun and another guy as Assault went up first, getting blown up by a few claymores on the way, but we killed the enemy and got put back together by our medic who was following behind.  Teamwork for the win!
xbrandomx
+9|6650

MrE`158 wrote:

Warlord is what I'm talking about... sorta...

think bunkers... underground networks kinda like "day of defeat" with the sewer system.  And you'd have flags to cap in the bunkers.  The bunkers lead to specific points on the map that you can cap flags... like a main control base that you have to cap. 

This can also help out with the problem that there teams sometimes get caught and pinned in a posistion... instead of quitting or not spawning until the game restarts you can hit the bunker and try to make it down there.  Eh?

or instead of bunkers they can make it part of a subway system- and you have to cap both entrances and exits of the subway within the city...

and with the tower: not just front door, balcony, roof...

more like : front door, room, room, back stairs, balcony, room, room, roof, ladder onto antenna

basically all they're doing is using the same repeated buildings over and over again for those urban maps... I KNOW they can make it far more of a technical battle.

Last edited by xbrandomx (2006-04-08 19:02:10)

viserov
+9|6674|Atlanta
The current interactive environment is graphically glitchy as it is (riding an elevator = earthquake like movements), I'd rather them fix that before they move on to anything complex.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6577|Arlen, Texas
I like the idea of vehicles not getting completely destroyed, have to be removed to keep the road clear.
Probably too much leeway for glitching (and too much of a strain on servers). Accidently crashed a halflife server with those tripmines once, looked cool, tho.
0mikr0n
Airborne Clan
+19|6696
Making buildings fall down would not be easy to implement. It requires a complete restructure of the BF2 coding for props and prefabs, as well as actually making things destructable. I'm sure someone would exploit it, though, by blowing a piece of rubble down on top of them and camping inside of it while they shoot out... because DICE is too stupid to make buildings kill you when you glitch your way into them.

And yes, all the buildings in this game aren't modeled in. Indeed, all they did to make maps like Karkand was to make the flat ground, then randomly pepper it with buildings. If you notice, there is a duplicate hotel on Sharqi just across the street from that pool near the shore.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard