GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
Well, as we all know the BF2 patch was released and everybody seems to be having a blast with it... except me. It downloaded fine from the mirror, then I tried to install it and got the following error:

"An error (5006 : 0x8000ffff) has occured while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: My Company Name."

Now this has happened with all the downloads I have tried from all the mirrors I could find. How do I fix it?
Faith +1
+1|6834|Arizona
Question:
How do you resolve errors that occur while patching /Battlefield 2/?

Answer:
Errors during the patching process are typically due to a damaged or
corrupted installation of the game. Manually removing the game from
your system, reinstalling, and re-patching should resolve any errors.

You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry
keys associated with it. Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they
appear to prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.

To delete the save files:

1. Open *My Documents*.
2. Right-click on the /Battlefield 2/ folder and choose *Delete*.

To delete the game files (in the default location):

1. Open *My Computer*.
2. Open the *C* drive.
3. Open the *Program Files* folder.
4. Open the *EA GAMES* folder.
5. Right-click on the /Battlefield 2/ folder and choose *Delete*.
6. Close all open windows.
7. Right-click on the *Recycle Bin* and choose *Empty Recycle Bin*.

To edit the registry and remove /Battlefield 2/:

1. Click on the *Start* button.
2. Click on *Run*.
3. Type *regedit* in the text field.
4. Click *File* and then choose *Export*.
5. Name the file *Backup* and make sure the Export Range is set to *All*.
6. Click *Save*; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
7. Click the *plus sign* next to *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE*.
8. Click the *plus sign* next to *Software*.
9. Click the *plus sign* next to *DICE*.
10. Right-click on the /Battlefield 2/ folder and choose *Delete*.
11. Click the *plus sign* next to *Electronic Arts*.
12. Right-click and choose *Delete* on any /Battlefield 2/ folders.
13. Click the *plus sign* next to *Microsoft*.
14. Click the *plus sign* next to *Windows*.
15. Click the *plus sign* next to *CurrentVersion*.
16. Click the *plus sign* next to *Uninstall*.
17. Right-click and choose *Delete* on the key named
*{04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B}*.
18. Close the Registry Editor.

/Battlefield 2/ should now be completely uninstalled. If anything
appears to be working incorrectly after editing the registry, simply
double-click on the Backup file on your desktop to restore the old registry.

You may now reinstall the game, and reapply the patch. It is
recommended that you install the game to the default directory to reduce
the chance of conflicting file locations.

From a google search, I guess this is from EA?
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
Won't that delete my player profile?
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6867|San Francisco

Reinstall is typically the solution for these types of issues. Just save your player profile somewhere else, no point in having to setup your keys and game settings all over again.
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
No, I mean my rank and medals and stuff.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6867|San Francisco

No, all of your stats are saved on EA's stats server, it has nothing to do with files on your machine. If you spare your 'My Documents\Battlefield 2' then you wont even have to bother retrieving your account. If you want to delete all of that as well, then simply reinstall and at the login page go to manage accounts and retrieve (or something very close... you should be able to figure it out.)
L.E.Alpha.tUeTe
+0|6806
Hi !

Go to  http://www.battlefield2.de   (german site)

Download  "Battlefield2 Patch 1.03 (NO INSTALLER VERSION)". Extract it, put the files into your Battlefield2 folder and run the patch.exe

Should work !!!   Stupid Windows Installer suxx

L.E.Alpha.tUeTe
BudRell
+2|6857|Home
Thehe...peeps very often accuse Windows installer (or some other parts of windows or other software...) when something goes wrong.
Usually the truth is that the only one who suxx is the ignorant user...
L.E.Alpha.tUeTe
+0|6806
Sure ...

So tell me why the stupid windows installer need 1.6GB on your system drive C: instead of using the space available on the drive i installed my Battlefield 2 ?

And why does the EA Support tell me i have to install Battlefield2 in the folder they want me to install it in to make the patch work instead of accepting my chosen install folder ?

once again:  STUPID WINDOWS INSTALLER with STUPID HARD-CODED REQUIREMENTS to run !!!!!!!!
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
I did that regedit thing, and the patch install did it again. And I can't find the no-installer DL on the German site.
Faith +1
+1|6834|Arizona
when you reinstalled did you apply the 1.3 patch only or did you apply the 1.2 patch also?

If you did straight 1.3 it should work, however you may think about doing 1.2 then 1.3.

Also ensure you give your self plenty of room on the C drive because of a seemingly odd issue with the MSI to need 1.6 gig free space.

Or if you have this installed on your D partition (anything other than your C partition) try installing it all only on your C drive.

It worked for me so its hard for me to help.
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
I am defragmenting. Maybe that will do something. I sure as hell had alot of fragmented files.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6867|San Francisco

BudRell wrote:

Thehe...peeps very often accuse Windows installer (or some other parts of windows or other software...) when something goes wrong.
Usually the truth is that the only one who suxx is the ignorant user...
Exactly what L.E.Alpha.tUeTe said...

My C: drive is for my os and nothing else, why the fuck should the bf2 1.03 patch installer need 1.6gigs of space there when I dont even have bf2 installed on that drive. I had to manually copy program files and shit off of my C: drive to get enough space to actually install the patch, and then copy all of those files back to their original folders so those programs would work again. This is not something that I should have to do to install a freaking patch for a game.
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
Nope. Defrag did nothing. I am going to go out and kill some innocent people now. Bye.
Faith +1
+1|6834|Arizona

GoodfellaSnoop wrote:

Nope. Defrag did nothing. I am going to go out and kill some innocent people now. Bye.
lol,

I dont know why defragmenting your HDD would do anything?  That helps file access/ reading.

Well how about you post your specs (OS with SP) where the BF2 game is installed, where you have reinstalled it to, what you have done and what not.

Because I have suggested a few things but not sure what you have or havent done?!
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
Specs?

2048 mb RAM
74 gig Raptor c drive (BF2 is saved there, and only half of it is full)
160 gig d drive (nothing is on there)
7800GTX
AMD FX55 San Diego

Those kind of specs?
L.E.Alpha.tUeTe
+0|6806
Hi !

Thx voodoochild, already thought i am the only one having a system drive for my OS only  ;-))

@GoodfellaSnoop:  The NO INSTALLER VERSION is linked on www.battlefield2.de.  Scroll down through the news to the topic "Patch 1.03 RELEASE"

And there you find:

"Für alle Leute bei denen das Patchen fehl schlägt hier der Patch ohne Installer:
Battlefield2 Patch 1.03 (NO INSTALLER VERSION)
Dank an www.thecenter.at und [tc]Lange."

Click the "Battlefield2 Patch 1.03 (NO INSTALLER VERSION)" and you'll get it !!

Advantage:  You dont need the free space on drive c:

Disadvantage:  Had some problems after installing the patch. Cos starting Battlefield2 ended with a RETURN TO DESKTOP without any error message.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6867|"Frisco"

L.E.Alpha.tUeTe wrote:

Disadvantage:  Had some problems after installing the patch. Cos starting Battlefield2 ended with a RETURN TO DESKTOP without any error message.
No no, that's a normal feature of BF2, everybody gets it.
L.E.Alpha.tUeTe
+0|6806
Sorry ?  What do you mean ?
Faith +1
+1|6834|Arizona

L.E.Alpha.tUeTe wrote:

Sorry ?  What do you mean ?
He is joking.. HA HA! - I think we all get the... I dont want you to play BF2 and study for your certifiaction / test / spend time with your family EA Subliminal message.

@GoodfellaSnoop - Yah but how big is your Root drive (Usually your C but I cant assume), does it have more than 1.6 gig free space?  Is your operating system Windows XP?  If so do you have all the latest patches (e.g. SP2 ect ect ect)

But if you want try the "no istaller" version of the patch and see if that works?

Let us know!
GoodfellaSnoop
+1|6807|DeLand, FL
Computer unresponsive when I tried to DL the no installer patch. Yes I have 1.6 gigs of free space. Yes I am running XP.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard