lolomfgkthxbai
+0|6779
Without going into the problems with the patch itself (patching failed ... sigh), I have to say the new ranks and awards are too easy to get. Before the patch I was chugging along merrily towards corporal and planning my next unlock. Because I knew that with the rate I'm playing, my third unlock would have been sometime in January, I felt like I should choose wisely. After the patch, I played for five minutes and got 3 unlocks and a far east service ribbon. Needless to say, it felt like I was cheating.

Yes, I know there are new ranks that still have insane score requirements, but if I don't get new toys with them, then what's the point? I'm guessing EA will see a drop in the number of players and hours used on BF2, there just isn't anything motivating most people to spend time on it anymore.

The other reason this patch is fubar, is the useless 'EA News' popup that you can't disable, and which prevents you from using 3rd-party apps to choose your server. I mean seriously, what were they thinking? The built-in server browser in BF2 has to be the sorriest piece of software known to man, and to force people to use that is inhumane.

/me crosses fingers in hopes of a hotfix.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6783|The Hague, Holland

lolomfgkthxbai wrote:

Without going into the problems with the patch itself (patching failed ... sigh), I have to say the new ranks and awards are too easy to get. Before the patch I was chugging along merrily towards corporal and planning my next unlock. Because I knew that with the rate I'm playing, my third unlock would have been sometime in January, I felt like I should choose wisely. After the patch, I played for five minutes and got 3 unlocks and a far east service ribbon. Needless to say, it felt like I was cheating.

Yes, I know there are new ranks that still have insane score requirements, but if I don't get new toys with them, then what's the point? I'm guessing EA will see a drop in the number of players and hours used on BF2, there just isn't anything motivating most people to spend time on it anymore.

The other reason this patch is fubar, is the useless 'EA News' popup that you can't disable, and which prevents you from using 3rd-party apps to choose your server. I mean seriously, what were they thinking? The built-in server browser in BF2 has to be the sorriest piece of software known to man, and to force people to use that is inhumane.

Allright! Lets hope EA/Dice hears ya
LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6808

Maverick wrote:

All they did was take the longevity of this game away. Before u had something to work for for quite a few years. Now they took that away and handed everybody everything. Within a year or two u will get most, if not all, of the medals. I think the game will be old and outdated sooner than later. There isn't anything to work towards. From 50,000 to 200,000 u don't get a single rank? I think they should of stretched it all out between there. Those that worked hard got screwed for it. I was only a corporal at 20,000 points. Now i am a First Sergeant? Got 4 ranks in one nite

It was nice with a new map added, i must say. I like that map quite abit, was fun in BF1942 also

As for the helo's, the old patch was never stat padding. It took teamwork to keep it up and everyone alive. If u didn't have teamwork that thing wasn't effective and dropped out of the sky easy. Most n00bs just didn't know how to take it out of the sky. They just took the buggies and drove off with them as i was gunning at it The other was to C4 the flag and u got easy 5-6 kills. If not, the buggies had a easy time shooting it out of the sky. It made for nice flag defends too.

Atleast the pilot and the gunners should get to turn the flag. The rest should be made to get out. Noone is there to wrench the helo to even it out. Unless they don't care and wrench anyway. It is up to them.

I just have to change up my pub play now. This is a minor adjustment. I found out quick how fast u die now, i thought it was bad before. Way more dyin if u don't watch urself.

My 2 cents
100% agree.
death_kills_u
+0|6779
Anyone else notice that the zoom on your compass randomly is set back to default?  That is annoying to me as I always change it to furthest out setting.

Yeah, ranks, badges and medals are waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy to get.  I just recently got Lance Corporal the other day and with my first kill yesterday, got Corporal... wtf.  Yeah, it's nice having another weapon unlock, but takes some of the motivation out.  Plus seeing 20 gunnery sargeants in 1 server just doesn't seem right.

By the way, I do have a qeustion.  When BHFQ says you have a weapon unlock and you choose "Unlock Later," how do you unlock later?  I can't figure out... yes, I'm a n00b (well, maybe 64.123858% n00bish - I'm getting there).
Takedazor
+10|6779|Vila Real, Portugal
I agree about the longevity of the game being changed and it sucks to see noobs with high ranks i can no longer tell who is a good player, yes EA and DICE did it again!

As for the hellicopter tweaks i have to say that i like them there where too many stats whores like NASTIE_BUTLER around only using choppers as a flag taker, apart of that being unrealistic it ofered an unpararel advantage you could take a flag in like 3sec in mid-air so unless a tank,apc or at least 3anti-tank soldiers fired at same time at it, it would always get away.

Maybe ppl now will start to use hellis more for transport and actually killing people then for points harvesting.

One thing LeGrandAssidomaen buggies didn't worked for blackhawks as they would repair fast and a medium gunner would kill you before you could say "I hit one".

As for the new map i didn't played bf1942 more than 1h so i can't say how it was but the new map looks a bit lacking of a lot of stuff, i'm not saying it's a bad map it's fun if i go in a plane or chopper and rape 1 or 2 flags, but starting on a 64player map with only 2choppers and 1+1plane in carrier omg, i hate those bf2 boats, couldn't they just make some little bigger boats with a cannon up front?

Apart from that stuff i can say that we are better of after the patch than before it so positive 0.5points for EA and DICE.

https://bf2s.com/player/43466662/sig.png
https://bf2s.com/player/43466662/sig5.png
https://bf2s.com/player/43466662/sig3.png
https://bf2s.com/player/43466662/awards.jpg
Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6820
First off I think most the changes were good. I like that there are more ranks, but yes they definately should have spread them out more. Considering how many promotions you get up to 8,000, the gaps from 20,000 to 50,000 and then 50,000 to 200,000 are huge.

I think the "Making people jump out of helicopters to take bases" thing is lame. I understand that Blackhawks were getting lots of points, and were hard to shoot down, but it took a well organized team of several soldiers to keep that blackhawk in the air. This game is supposed to be about team work right?? This feature seems to kill that. Here is what I see happen now, the blackhawk gets loaded up with passengers, and then the 1st checkpoint you come to they all jump out, and guess what, They don't get back in. Its too much trouble for them to wait for you to pick them up (A very very vulnerable position to be in for everyone), so everyone just jumps in buggies or tanks and heads to the nearest checkpoint themselves. Which is probably faster than waiting for everyone to get back on the black hawk, fly to the check point, then jump out again.

And making it so the copilot of an attack chopper has to jump out to capture a CP is just stupid.

I think instead they should have just stuck with gimping the blackhawk a bit, make the repairs on it take longer, make the machine guns do slightly less damage, and make it so the soldiers in a blackhawk take longer than soldiers on the ground to capture a CP. (I know they did some of this already)

Its too bad operating like an organized team is considered "point whoring", wait isnt getting lots of points the whole "point" of this game?

Sigh....I'm never gonna get my crew ribbon now.

I agree with the post above me on wake island, it is way way too small, and not being in some sort of aircraft means you will die a lot. No where to run, no where to hide.  And yes they do need better boats, those RIB's are a joke, they should call them RIPs. Need something faster, more armored, and with better guns.

Last edited by Dizazter (2005-10-06 08:01:35)

A=10
+-2|6787|U.K DURHAM
bf2 has us all stat whores whats with all the talk about points .thats where this game goes wrong its a team game guys.all i ever hear is how can i get my badge i need my ribbons we all do it from time to time but some go over the top far to much.
LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6808

A=10 wrote:

bf2 has us all stat whores whats with all the talk about points .thats where this game goes wrong its a team game guys.all i ever hear is how can i get my badge i need my ribbons we all do it from time to time but some go over the top far to much.
But getting awards is part of the game...that's the way it is. And the fact that it is a team game is not really picked up by everyone. Hell, how many times do I see 1-man locked squads or 3/4 of your team even being lone wolfs all the time? That is by far more annoying than "addiction" to awards, I think.
Maverick
+0|6779

Dizazter wrote:

I think instead they should have just stuck with gimping the blackhawk a bit, make the repairs on it take longer, make the machine guns do slightly less damage, and make it so the soldiers in a blackhawk take longer than soldiers on the ground to capture a CP. (I know they did some of this already)
I think the best way to fix this instead of messing up a perfectly good thing here is this. Take the piece of crap MEC chopper and make it something. This is the whole problem with choppers. It is all one sided and people hated the choppers cause of it. There is nothing to even it out. If u weren't US u weren't squat. Well make it even out by givin both sides a great helo to fly with. Now both sides can work great teamwork. It is a shame they had to ruin the teamwork by takin something away that people liked. Instead of fixing something people like and makin the game more lame. U take something that people hate and fix that to keep the game even more fun instead of takin the fun away and limiting ur team play.

Last edited by Maverick (2005-10-06 10:43:27)

pogled
+0|6778|Europe
It looks like the comunity is split on the issue of the new rank system. High ranking players despise it – the lower ranks rejoice. Sure, the new ranking  system is a slap in the face of those who worked hard for their promotions and unlocks. The point is: the “worked hard”  - playing games is NOT about working it is about having fun! Yes, achievements should be rewarded. An the harder you had to fight for it the more rewarding it is – that’s what medals are for.
The systems of ranks, bages and other types of incentive should keep the players going when times are hard and there is danger that the get bored for to long and set the game aside.
I have to admit that EA has overdone it a bit with bringing down the requirements for lower ranks. Jesus, say 6000 pts for Sgt would have been just fine, the stretch  between LCpl and Cpl defintely was to long IMHO.
Somebody before has brought up the issue that “EA wanted to implement the ranks in way that makes you feel like you actually had an armed forces career  going on” (not verbatim). This game is a (somehow tactical) FPS - no army simualtion. You get awarded points for shooting people – if a NCO woul shoot 10000+ people he wouldn’t get a promotion – more likely an invation to a warcrimes tribunal or a (final) bullet to the head at the hands of his enemies. I’m an Sgt (in real life) myself and I never have shot anybody (and I hope I never will have to).

Last edited by pogled (2005-10-06 13:50:55)

pogled
+0|6778|Europe
But let’s get back to the facts: Yeah, EA has lowered the requirements a little to much. It would haver been a lot better if you could get a higher rank every time your points increase by 100% (of the original value). All that with introducing  cap of say 10000 pts max or some equivalent of 50-75hrs (this is a LOT of time in  real life). And for those of you who always keep complaining about all those noobs, part-time players and such: What happens if they switch their attetion to an other game (i.e.: quit playing BF2 because they are stuck between 10000 and 20000 pts and with their inferior skills and time resources have no chance of getting their next rank)? Right: There would be nothing for you to shoot at!
Don’t complain! Do as a good Sgt would do: Invite them to your Squad, give proper orders in time, try to support them (even if it means to put your own life in danger), try to keep it balaced as far as classes are concerned and LEAD them – that’s what Leaders are for.

Sometimes it is hard to do so with people running around like mad, just out for the fragg. If there is need for a AT-soldier and there is none on your squad – the next one who dies should go AT. If the grunts don’t feel up to the task then the leader has to take on this job – even if he is the best sniper on the team. You can change back (by picking up the desired kits) when the situation is under control again. With rank comes responsibility. I don’t know how often I have died (as a Squadleader) trying to order a tactical retreat or reviving a commrade who just had fallen victim to an enemy air attack. (EA should fix the respawn/call-for-help system though, so that if you want to respawn to change your gear or whatever the medic knows it too). To set things straight: I’m posting here not to flame on you all high ranking player. There are a lot of you out there who show real galantry in battle and excellent teamplay – the real reward for playing long hours is that your skills improve and a good time making use of them. Noone cane take that from you, not even EA.

Over and Out!

Last edited by pogled (2005-10-06 13:47:12)

MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6809|USA, IL
I was working my butt off... had 55k and 4 unlocks... and with the update BOOM, 3 more ranks and all the unlocks... go me, im not complaining.... allowing to slightly modify names .... a step in the right direction..... the favorite servers list , SCORE, the points for blowing up things, SCORE, the passenger in the attack chopper not getting points for the CP  ,,,, BUST.

Those are my thoughts.

oh yea, GET THE .50's OFF THE CHOPPERS aND PUT ALL CHAINGUNS!!!!

Last edited by MurrayP (2005-10-06 14:51:57)

MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6809|USA, IL

McCullough wrote:

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

Hey everyone notice how the commander cant be punished for TK's from arty? well the commander also doesnt get a Kill score from arty either! so no more being a class to meet kills in a round for badges
and no more super ubar k/d ratios for commanders
and no more super ubar kill streaks for commanders
Yes this is great but how are we suposed to get points as a commander now
ROFL, the commander NEVER got a kill score... pay attention.
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6778
I apologize for the length of this, but I did make it relevent.

Im going to be speaking as a casual player - yes, I am in a clan, yes, I feel that I'm pretty good in the game, but I might average 5 hours or so a week on the game, sometimes more, sometimes less.  Let me put it this way - I have had the game since the day it came out (June?  July?), and I have played a total of 71+ hours (including a period of about a month where I couldnt load patch 1.02).

My point is that I dont play the game nearly as much as some players, and I dont invest so much time in improving my own skill other than occasional clan practice and hopping onto a ranked server for a little bit.  A casual player's take on this patch is something that I don't see much of right now.

Now, with that said, my take on a few things about the new patch:

1.  Ranks

Personally, my feeling on ranks is that frankly, I dont give a sh*t.  I never judge players until I see them actually play, which means I dont assume that just because someone has 3 bars next to their name that they can fly a helo.  Granted, there are some people with those bars that have earned them and shown some skill, but there are others that just spend extraordinary amounts of time playing or point farm, using anything from the medic kit to the f*cking grenade launcher.  Being a player that barely ever commands, the only reason I ever really cared about my own rank was for the unlocks.  I know how bad that sounds, but personally, a title does nothing for you.  The unlocks are what can actually help you get better (at least stat wise).

2.  The reduced rank/badge requirements.

This is a blessing to me, for a few reasons.  First of all, when I first started this game and earned my first badge (basic armor), I found this site and looked at the requirements.  From then on, I didnt even care about anything other than basic badges, because to me (remember, the casual player), the requirements for these were so incredibly outrageous that I couldnt have achieved them even if I played for hours on end.  For crying out loud, it took me almost a day's worth of trying before I finally got my explosives badge, and even then it required a small bit of less-than-sportsmanlike Kamikazi-ing.  I couldn't imagine how anyone could ever get the expert on that damn thing (if you can, all the more to ya).

Now as for the global points, another blessing.  As I said earlier, the only real perks that increased rank offered me at least was the prospect of new unlocks.  I was so excited when I got my first unlock.  Then, I realized that I needed not just two, not even 5, but 9 times what I had to get only a SECOND unlock - than after that, I would need even more time.  To me, I lost some serious interest because again, as a casual player, I like just trying out the new weapons and getting some selection.  I only finally got to becoming even close to my second unlock (7000 GP's - close for me) before the patch came out, and when it did, I found myself able to not only get the weapon I wanted (DAO-12, in the interest of completeness, I already had the L85), but a few others that I thought were cool and that I wanted to try (G3 and M95).  I suddenly had (and still have) a renewed interest in the game - I have new toys to mess around with, and I could really care less if everyone else has them too.  No matter whether I am the only person or if every other player on Earth has these weapons, I still have something new to mess with.  Now, even though everyone has weapons, I have enough to keep me sustained while achieving my next rank and unlock (it will be the G36c).  It is enough to keep me interested, and I know that I will be able to get more weapons without having to spend ages playing the game at my rate.  It just keeps it fun in my opinion.

As for all of you that complain because you invested time into the game, dont despair.  In the grand scheme of things, you are still better players than most because of your inherent skill and experience gained.  Just because ten other people now have the same weapon you spent hours getting your corporal rank for doesn't mean they are any better at it than you are.  As cheesy as this sounds, you are the ones that are going to be above the calamity - the chaos that is going to ensue from a bunch of n00bs messing around with the M95 they just got.  You are still the one they are going to admire when they have their 4 unlocks and 5 kills, and you have your hard earned unlock and are picking someone off every few seconds with it.

Remember - it doesn't matter what gun you have in your hands - in the end, you still need to learn how to use it.  Those of you that invested more time into the game, you are ahead of everyone else.  Your skill with your G36 exceeds that of the n00b's that got the game yesterday.  So, go out there, kick that n00b's arse, and show him who can REALLY do some damage with that unlock.

*82nd* DrDestruction.
Col-Khadafi
+0|6797|Your Mom's House

lolomfgkthxbai wrote:

God wtf i hear ya. I cant use ASE to join servers, they dont show up on the ingame server browser, I cant open the console outside of a server, and since copy/paste doesnt work, I have to manually enter Ips each time i wanna play. what the fuck

Last edited by Col-Khadafi (2005-10-06 21:13:31)

NM156
The H4xor Mod
+161|6847|North Texas
Fonehat
+0|6829
All this talk about BH being overpowered. They were only overpowered in Mashtur city where there was not enough AA to shoot them down. Blackhawks weren't overpowered in any other maps because planes, stingers or APC'S got them. I think the patch should have slightly edited Mashtur to give it some decent AA (like stingers in USEFULL places), not stingers in the corners of the map. This would have adressed the problem with BH without making them useless in all other maps. I think only one person in each vehicle being able to capture is a bad move on EA's part.

I also dont like the new ranking system. 90% of the ppl on a server are all some type of sargent and it is impossible to tell the noobs apart from the good people. Also EVERYONE has unlocks and it makes them commonplace and not someting you have to choose carefully.

Another thing that pissed me off about the patch is they still hadnt fixed the red name bug. They spent all this time making radical changes and they hadnt even fixed things that matter, like bugs.

Apart from that the patch is good and I like Wake, I hope they remake more 1942 maps.
RG_Crippin
+0|6796
ANOTHER QUALITY F#$$K BY EA

FORK YOU EA!!!!!!!!
Fahrenheit
+0|6779
someone posted about the longevity of the game being reduced, do you honestly think u will want to play this game for years to come?...ok about a year and a half but new games will come out and only the die hards will carry on playing..i like the fact that you get awards and ranks as it made the game more interesting...lets face it when we got bored of BF1942 we downloaded DCX, or pirates etc. Playing music in the nam version was a fun thing for a while! the ability to get higher ranks with as little as 8000 points is a tad silly, but then having to get 500000 points to become top rank was rather outrageous same with some of the badges and ribbons etc...maybe they should introduce a proficiency aspect to the game i.e. the more you use certain guns, vehicles the better you are causing damage with said items...you could even set a limit that has to be reached with the unlocks before you can use them, so ok you get the unlock but you need certain badges or time spent as a spec opps or sniper before you can use them or whatever......sounds daft i know but i just remember playing a game called wings on the old amiga 600 that had that aspect...the longer yo played and scored the better you became at un-jamming ur machine gun or you could stay conscious when diving in ur plane where as a new player would black out for a few seconds....in BF2 for example and engy with his vet badge could be able to repair stuff quicker than an engy with a basic badge......still a lot of bugs and bothers about the game though......
thinner44
+1|6810
This is probably a little off topic but, since I've had the patch, I haven't yet been able to complete a game without, choppiness/lag or it just crapping out to the main screen. Yet another TK today because of firing into an enemy base ... no blues around, long laaaaaaaaaaag (problem with your connection), finally got back to the actual playing screen and I was punished for a TK.... The lag was for about 20 seconds.

I've not done anything to my pc, it's the same as before the patch.... 2.3ghz 64bit amd, 1gb ram, 6600GT 125mb nvidia card, 110gb free on HD. No spyware/adware, virus, trojans... nothing in the way of CPU usage except for this game.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Andert883
+0|6780|Minnesota
ok has anyone noticed that when you are the commandor. that the atry some times bouces off the ground? it was really fucked up when i wanted to see me blowing some people up. i was on the map strike at karkade, and i drop atty at the hill going up to the top left point. and there is the walls in that general area by the flag. and i saw the white line of atty coming down and then it shot right the fuck back up at me look on this on my screen and it acted as if it got "deflected" and didn't even blow up when it the ground. i was like wtf is going on here. from what i noticed, it only happens when you hit like a top of a wall or some odd object on the ground. like i said i noticed like once or twice when i was commandor for a round. i was dropping atty all the time, so out of 10 15 atty strikes i saw it happen. has anyone noticed this? if try it once and see if you can get it to act up. let me know what u guys find out. thanks!
Andert883
+0|6780|Minnesota

thinner44 wrote:

I've not done anything to my pc, it's the same as before the patch.... 2.3ghz 64bit amd, 1gb ram, 6600GT 125mb nvidia card, 110gb free on HD. No spyware/adware, virus, trojans... nothing in the way of CPU usage except for this game.

How fast is your connection to the internet?
PermaG
+1|6846
People bitch and moan before and people bitch and moan after. One more event to prove you cant please everyone.
thinner44
+1|6810

Andert883 wrote:

thinner44 wrote:

How fast is your connection to the internet?
Sorry, I forgot to add that bit ... 2mb cable.

I think I'm going to try and work out if there's specific times whe the problem occurs, or if it's specific servers, having said that, I was on a UK server with a ping of 23 and it was laggy as hell.

Cheers for the interest
Defensor Ursa
+1|6779

A=10 wrote:

I agree, but with the helo/tank/jet hogs, teamwork is a moot point. I simply slip away into the shadows and shoot people, F the medals/badges/ribbons!!

I'm at 49% accuracy with a sniper rifle, 1800+ kills....

From the Treasure of the Sierra Madre; "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!...."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard