TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720

phishman420 wrote:

DSRTurtle wrote:

Maybe Jr could accidently run over JJ at pit practice so JJ can't finish the season?!  lol. 

I doubt I will watch any more races this year.
That's the spirit!

I hate the whole chase thing. As much as I dislike Kyle Busch, I think he deserved the championship after such an amazing run. He has been plagued by bad luck these last couple of months, but he would probably still have the most points. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I cant be arsed to do the math, but no, I really dont think the 18 would have had a point lead at this time.  Sure he ran the field into the ground during the first 20 races or so, but his luck and mechanical crap have killed his season.  Couple that with the surge from the 48 and viola' you have a new points leader (imo).  The fact remains tho, that the 18 was "paid" for those wins via the seeding portion of the chase set up ie: 10 bonus markers for each win.  Lets not forget that the 18 had a nice pad when the chase started and they blew it...rapidly and just as sure as if they planted a box of C4 under his season.

No...I dont think Kyle "deserved" the cup...not at all.
DSRTurtle
+56|6833

TC.Troy wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

DSRTurtle wrote:

Maybe Jr could accidently run over JJ at pit practice so JJ can't finish the season?!  lol. 

I doubt I will watch any more races this year.
That's the spirit!

I hate the whole chase thing. As much as I dislike Kyle Busch, I think he deserved the championship after such an amazing run. He has been plagued by bad luck these last couple of months, but he would probably still have the most points. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I cant be arsed to do the math, but no, I really dont think the 18 would have had a point lead at this time.  Sure he ran the field into the ground during the first 20 races or so, but his luck and mechanical crap have killed his season.  Couple that with the surge from the 48 and viola' you have a new points leader (imo).  The fact remains tho, that the 18 was "paid" for those wins via the seeding portion of the chase set up ie: 10 bonus markers for each win.  Lets not forget that the 18 had a nice pad when the chase started and they blew it...rapidly and just as sure as if they planted a box of C4 under his season.

No...I dont think Kyle "deserved" the cup...not at all.
You are correct TC.  Kyle would not have the points lead under the old system.  However a bad in the chase hurts you much more in the chase than at anyother time in the year.  Unless your not in the chase in which case it's just a normal bad day.   It's the reason that I hate the chase.  As we saw 60 pts is nothing with the luck Kyle had once the chase started.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720
Whoa, damn...

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlin … index.html

The 83 car got pounded it seems, after the race at Martinsville sunday.  The article is pretty vague on the reasons, but the car chief, and the crew chief have been suspended indefinately, kevin Hamlin has also been fined 150k...
Red Bull and Vickers have been docked 150 points.  About all I can gleen from the short read is, it seems to relate to body panels...

At Martinville???
wtf??

Why even screw with the body at a short track?  Hell, you'll be doing well to have half of it still hanging on the car after 500 laps.  I dont know what all was involved in this, and if someone has any additional info, I should very much like to hear it.

I dont get it...
I dont blame NASCAR (yet hehe) but I just dont get it.  I thought Kevin Hamlin had better sense that this.

Edit:  Ok, I found more info...this from Speedtv.com:
During a random post-race inspection conducted Tuesday at the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C., the No. 83 Red Bull Toyota Camry driven by Brian Vickers was found to have its exterior sheetmetal altered so it no longer met NASCAR’s specified minimum thickness. That change meant the team’s sheetmetal was lighter than it should have been, which meant the team could have added weight lower in the chassis for improved handling.

lol  Now THAT sounds like Kevin Hamlin hehehe
Pretty good idea, so long as NASCAR doesnt pull you on a random...
hehe
Nice try Kevin, have a nice winter off dude lol 

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-10-22 12:17:13)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6592|The Land of Scott Walker

TC.Troy wrote:

At Martinville???  wtf??
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6565|Florida
qoute from nascar.com article-

NASCAR officials found that the sheet metal used to construct the side structures of the car (doors and quarter panels) did not meet minimum thickness requirements. According to the Sprint Cup Series rule book, car bodies must be constructed from 24-gauge (.025-inch thick) sheet steel. Acid dipping or chemical milling to reduce the thickness of the sheet metal is specifically prohibited.

Garage sources told the Sporting News Wire Service that using sheet metal that fell below minimum tolerances could reduce the weight of a car by as much as 50-75 pounds. Conceivably, the lost weight could be re-added to the bottom of the car in the form of lead weights to lower the center of gravity -- something that could enhance the car's ability to turn through the corner.

I give kevin hamlin an A for effort, but it sucks he got caught on a random inspection. It just goes to show if your not cheating, your not trying.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720

Strngs012 wrote:

qoute from nascar.com article-

NASCAR officials found that the sheet metal used to construct the side structures of the car (doors and quarter panels) did not meet minimum thickness requirements. According to the Sprint Cup Series rule book, car bodies must be constructed from 24-gauge (.025-inch thick) sheet steel. Acid dipping or chemical milling to reduce the thickness of the sheet metal is specifically prohibited.

Garage sources told the Sporting News Wire Service that using sheet metal that fell below minimum tolerances could reduce the weight of a car by as much as 50-75 pounds. Conceivably, the lost weight could be re-added to the bottom of the car in the form of lead weights to lower the center of gravity -- something that could enhance the car's ability to turn through the corner.

I give kevin hamlin an A for effort, but it sucks he got caught on a random inspection. It just goes to show if your not cheating, your not trying.
Yeah, indeed, thats kinda what I was saying, without saying it hehe
But my question (disbelief actually) still stands.  Martinsville??  Wtf??  I mean, at M'ville, you are doing maybe 70mph in the center of the turn.  Why not use it somewhere like Charlotte? or Atlanta?  Somewhere where the actuall G-forces are sufficient to make something like this worth the risk.  I just dont see it being effective at M'ville...not as effective I should say, as somewhere that it really counts.
I agree with you Strngs...and I know some of the crazy shit Hamlin did while CC for Earnhardt years ago.  Hell, back in the day Kevin Hamlin was one of the most creative, yet consistant crew chiefs in the market.  I too give'em and A for effort, but a big fat F for execution hehe.
As I said, nice one Kevin, have a nice winter off hehe

I also gotta wonder about this...
Was the 84 car using this tactic as well?  Or just the 83?  It would explain a great deal as to why the 83 was blowing the doors off the team car (84)...I mean, Vickers just isnt THAT good...

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-10-23 16:08:20)

Stingray24
49 pages and still no sticky ...
DSRTurtle
+56|6833
I think it took just that much longer for the 84 team to catch up with AJ learning the tracks.  Vickers is a consistent top 20 driver and maybe top 15.  I hope Vickers makes the chase next year and JJ doesn't.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720
Right...
Rain has washed out quals at Atlanta.  I'm sure everyone is aware of this by now, unless you've been sleeping and heard no news.  This, gents, is a new NASCAR record.  10 times this year, mother nature has chosen to take a huge piss on Cup qualifying.
As it stands (and as we are all aware...) when mother nature interferes, we line up by points. 

Here is my question:
IF you were the Powers that Be @ NASCAR, what, if anything would you do to change the situation?

Make them qualify on saturday?
Random draw?
Line up as they did last race "here" (at the track in question, whether it be last spring, or last season)
Line up by points, and make pit selection random.
Do nothing at all, status quo (be John Darby :p )

My opinion is, they should move quals to saturday...they can make an hour, or 2 on saturday.  If it rains on saturday, then random draw.

My reasoning is this:  Look at the last several races.  The 48 has been on pole and given choice of pitstall.  We'll duh...like thats no advantage hehe.  During the normal season, its advantage enough, but as we have seen this year, it can have a major impact on the chase, either real, or percieved. 
This isnt about hating on the 48, its about making a change that would "level the playing field" as NASCAR seems to have such a hardon for lately.

So, what say you gents?

And what about the top 35 rule...it has to be taken into consideration when discussing qualifying...
And that a whole other can-o-worms idnit? 

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-10-25 07:40:51)

TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720

Stingray24 wrote:

49 pages and still no sticky ...
Indeed.  Its why we'll need a group at Tracr imo.
I mean hell, if you take out the "rate the girl above you" thread, this thread has pretty much grown bigger than about any other thread, and its way bigger than any sticky in EE.

I can understand all the views and such on the girly thread...what with all the hormone laden kids trolling the forums (no offense kiddies :p )
phishman420
Banned
+821|5828
I can't wait until tomorrow!
DSRTurtle
+56|6833
Have the cars not in the top 35 qual on Saturday.  Then setup the line up by qual order draw.  The faster qualifer gets the spot of the draw for the first car not in the top 35.  ex if the highest position for a non top 35 car is 6th, the faster qualifier gets the 6th spot.

That way the guys outside have a shot at making the race, heating up the top 35 chase.  And the rest of the field has a chance of getting 1st pit stall.

Last edited by DSRTurtle (2008-10-25 10:16:42)

Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6565|Florida

TC.Troy wrote:

But my question (disbelief actually) still stands.  Martinsville??  Wtf??  I mean, at M'ville, you are doing maybe 70mph in the center of the turn.  Why not use it somewhere like Charlotte? or Atlanta?  Somewhere where the actuall G-forces are sufficient to make something like this worth the risk.  I just dont see it being effective at M'ville...not as effective I should say, as somewhere that it really counts.
Well Martinsville would be a great place to try this out. Think about it, Charlotte and Atlanta are 2 high speed, high banked tracks where the cars use the banking to help turn. Martinsville on the other hand is very flat but yet still very fast considering how tight the turns are.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720

Strngs012 wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

Well Martinsville would be a great place to try this out. Think about it, Charlotte and Atlanta are 2 high speed, high banked tracks where the cars use the banking to help turn. Martinsville on the other hand is very flat but yet still very fast considering how tight the turns are.
Yeah indeed, and it seems thats how the 84 team saw it.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720
damn...
the 48 seems to have his hands full...and Chad has had 2 good chances to adjust it.
will be interesting to see how/if the 48 can rebound here, the 99 is really good...the 17 may be, we'll see...
phishman420
Banned
+821|5828
That was an amazing run by the 48.
Stingray24
Yep, sure was.  Gonna be hard to catch him in points.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720
Great drive by the 48.  Grats to the 99, he did what he had to do, but its too little, too late.
Stingray24
38 on top of Scott Speed's Toyota.
Stingray24
Ah crap, they're moving coverage to ESPN 2 at 6:30pm cst because of the red flag.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5828
I actually get to watch the end of the race this week.
Stingray24
Props Jimmie.  Too bad ABC is the most lame network on tv and switched off of the race.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5828

Stingray24 wrote:

Props Jimmie.  Too bad ABC is the most lame network on tv and switched off of the race.
I didn't start watching until I read your post.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6720
Chalk up another Cup to HMS and the 48.  Props to them, they've done the work this year...they are the best, no doubt.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5828
Not over yet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard