JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
Updated OP! : Last Update 2nd November 2008

Even if you aren't into drum and bass please just have a listen. I will honestly listen to any constructive criticism

My first attempt at drum and bass

This was my first attempt at making a drum and bass song using Logic Pro. I have been doing my course for 9 days, and had 3 lectures. This is the first proper song I have made too, and it hasn't been mastered or anything, and some bits do need tweaking. I'm aware of this, so constructive criticism is welcome. It took about 7 hours to make, so enjoy (or try to ;])

ShadowsStrike wrote:

Direct Download link for those that wanted it - http://files.filefront.com/01+Track+1wm … einfo.html
Sadly, all the sounds are taken direct from Logic, but my knowledge of it is basic at best so please bare with me

Synthesis Drum And Bass
These songs were to test what I had learnt after a lecture about synthesis and how to make a sound on Logic's in built synths. In both songs, the lead, bass and the effects (noise/wind) are all made by me. The drums have been messed around with sounds wise, but not too much. They are pretty simple, as they are literally just applying the knowledge I have on synthesis.

Last edited by ShadowsStrike (2008-11-11 14:49:25)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Sounds pretty good on my system, I have a feeling the lower end of the bassline may sound a bit rubbish on cheapy subs though, it's very low freq and has a habbit of distorting on shite subs at high volume.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
Thank fuck for that a comment. Cheers man, yeh I really wasn't sure on the bass, the one I'm working on at the moment is a bit higher freq for the bass.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5953|Places 'n such
Had it playing through shitty built in speakers and it still sounded alright
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5780|Catherine Black
That's pretty good for a first attempt.

Agreed, I would go higher freq for the bass. Sounded good on my sub, though. Next time try a faster paced song.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
Sweet, thats good to know. Any crits.?

Schmoopy - Yeh I want to try different speeds of D'n'B. Anyone know what the standard BPM of a drum and bass song is? I had this set at 174.

Last edited by ShadowsStrike (2008-10-14 13:43:15)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Nothing wrong with going deep, more rumble the better just expect people to whinge from time to time because their sub can't handle it

I'm reltively sure I still have a ~3GB stash of sound samples on this rig somewhere (I may well ave deleted it) I'll have a look for it an upload it somewhere if I find it, give you some more stuff to play with
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Nothing wrong with going deep, more rumble the better just expect people to whinge from time to time because their sub can't handle it

I'm reltively sure I still have a ~3GB stash of sound samples on this rig somewhere (I may well ave deleted it) I'll have a look for it an upload it somewhere if I find it, give you some more stuff to play with
That would be so sweet man If you do, I would love you forever xD
seb--morin
Im high
+152|6632|Montréal, Québec
yeah sound good
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Hehe, well I can't find a lot of it at the moment I'll PM you links to one of the FX collections I did have, it's for video work really but it has a bunch of drum and cymbal hits in it. I did have a huge set on here somewhere, which I got for free from some random website, I'll see if I can find the site.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
I love you TEP. I honestly do.

EDIT - cheers seb

Last edited by ShadowsStrike (2008-10-14 13:54:44)

Phaytal
+20|6146|Engarlandd
Fucking hell, for a first try thats brilliant, id pay for more stuff like that.. I'm really getting into 'dark' Drum n Bass, stuff like Black Sun Empire etc (Eve Soundtrack for one of their trailers ;P)
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England

Phaytal wrote:

Fucking hell, for a first try thats brilliant, id pay for more stuff like that.. I'm really getting into 'dark' Drum n Bass, stuff like Black Sun Empire etc (Eve Soundtrack for one of their trailers ;P)
I thank you.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
I played it through a premium-level PC audio sound system, tailored because I also create electronic music .

EQ it properly and add more after-production polish. The bass and overall sound is very muddy and flat, lacks any form of effect.

The tune itself in terms of rhythm, structure and composition seems pretty solid for a first attempt. You've got the formulaic approach to drum'n'bass pretty spot on - i.e. the repeated lead-ups and dub drops. Obviously the default samples and sound materials you work with in Logic are terrible- but if you put that through some VST's and used some different drum / synth patches, it would actually sound pretty decent.

Also, as a small nitpick... it starts to get fairly monotonous and repetitive about halfway through. Either mix it up more or learn to be more 'punctual' in your creativity . It's something you'll iron out and work over in time though so keep at it, very promising!

Phaytal wrote:

Darkstep / Techstep is pretty good. Check out Dieselboy, Spor, Evol Intent et al.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-10-14 13:59:06)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England

Uzique wrote:

I played it through a premium-level PC audio sound system, tailored because I also create electronic music .

EQ it properly and add more after-production polish. The bass and overall sound is very muddy and flat, lacks any form of effect.

The tune itself in terms of rhythm, structure and composition seems pretty solid for a first attempt. You've got the formulaic approach to drum'n'bass pretty spot on - i.e. the repeated lead-ups and dub drops. Obviously the default samples and sound materials you work with in Logic are terrible- but if you put that through some VST's and used some different drum / synth patches, it would actually sound pretty decent.

Also, as a small nitpick... it starts to get fairly monotonous and repetitive about halfway through. Either mix it up more or learn to be more 'punctual' in your creativity . It's something you'll iron out and work over in time though so keep at it, very promising!

Cheers for your crit. It's all been absorbed, and as soon as I learn how to do half of those things, I will try them out. How long have you been making music for?

Listening to it, it is quite repetitive isn't it..? I shall have to try and stop that. I think I'm worrying about structure too much. I'm gonna have to listen to more D'n'B to get to know how much to repeat what.

Thanks, honestly
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
The structure is pretty much spot-on, very to the mark and has a good sense of impetus; it moves along very nicely. My nitpick is that the song could probably be cut down by about a third, as after the first few bass drops it starts to lose its sub-shaking appeal and just becomes a bit same-samey and bland. By no means do I present this as a harsh criticism, the actual drumloops and synth-lines themselves are very good.

I've been twiddling around with knobs, synths, drum machines and software for a long time now. Nothing serious - a playful hobby. Much more interested in laptop DJ'ing and playing electronica live nowadays with some fellow enthusiasts that enjoy the same music and experience. Creating music via VST's and software is extremely tedious and laborious- I'd highly recommend spending out on a MIDI controller of some sort, even if it's only a modest MIDI-USB keyboard. It will speed up your production and composition a lot, and what's more, most software nowadays can emulate and sound just as good as the actual hardware and kit itself.

EQ'ing and adding post-production effects and balancing to a track is just as hard and technical as the actual creating- and can have an even greater consequence on the overall quality and decency of your tracks. My best advice is to just experiment, get lost in the software for a few hours and play it by ear. Try to keep the effects and post-production to a modest minimum though; so that it enhances the music and sound you're aiming for, rather than to detract and distort!

Good luck, have fun... post more when you're done .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
robcr9
+111|5973
It's really shit. Learn to use PC plz, before you go on the internet
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

robcr9 wrote:

lol there's always one.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England

Uzique wrote:

The structure is pretty much spot-on, very to the mark and has a good sense of impetus; it moves along very nicely. My nitpick is that the song could probably be cut down by about a third, as after the first few bass drops it starts to lose its sub-shaking appeal and just becomes a bit same-samey and bland. By no means do I present this as a harsh criticism, the actual drumloops and synth-lines themselves are very good.

I've been twiddling around with knobs, synths, drum machines and software for a long time now. Nothing serious - a playful hobby. Much more interested in laptop DJ'ing and playing electronica live nowadays with some fellow enthusiasts that enjoy the same music and experience. Creating music via VST's and software is extremely tedious and laborious- I'd highly recommend spending out on a MIDI controller of some sort, even if it's only a modest MIDI-USB keyboard. It will speed up your production and composition a lot, and what's more, most software nowadays can emulate and sound just as good as the actual hardware and kit itself.

EQ'ing and adding post-production effects and balancing to a track is just as hard and technical as the actual creating- and can have an even greater consequence on the overall quality and decency of your tracks. My best advice is to just experiment, get lost in the software for a few hours and play it by ear. Try to keep the effects and post-production to a modest minimum though; so that it enhances the music and sound you're aiming for, rather than to detract and distort!

Good luck, have fun... post more when you're done .
Cheers Uzique, really.

I do wanna get lost in the software, but at the moment I can onl use the stuff at college. Macs are pricey in themselves let alone Logic with it. Mastering proplery is something I want to get good at, I want to be a full time Music Producer when I'm done.  I will post more too

Rob your lucky I <3 you really.
robcr9
+111|5973

robcr9 wrote:

lol there's always one.
For the people who don't know, me and shadow are gay ...together
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

robcr9 wrote:

robcr9 wrote:

lol there's always one.
For the people who don't know, me and shadow are gay ...together
Fair enough
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
Speak for yourself. I'm bi

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm not really either. Disregard that Straight ftw

Back on topic ya rob?

Last edited by ShadowsStrike (2008-10-14 14:18:48)

robcr9
+111|5973
Kk, i havn't listened to it. But by your MSN name, i hear your a pro in the making
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
Lololo. Yes. Quite In 2 years time I will be!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Good first attempt indeed. Kind of reminded me of "Nu Steppa" by Salmonella Dub.

I'm not really one for D&B so take this critisism as the ignorant blather it is but what it could use is something in the background to go with the main melody. For want of a more technical term a "system of boops" would work well. Something like what's in the background of Concord Dawn's "Morning Light".

Also, MORE BASS. I'm hearing the Dee but I need more of the Bee!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard