God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6335|tropical regions of london

I agree with Mr. Pink
chittydog
less busy
+586|6827|Kubra, Damn it!

I agree with Joe.

If you weren't supposed to tip, the wait staff would get paid more than $3/h and the food prices would all go up 20% or so.
God Save the Queen
Banned
foods pretty cheap at mcdonalds
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
What are you, some cheap-ass European?

He does bring up a good point that there is an odd "tip only these people" part, though. Personally, I can only recall tipping waiters/waitresses and my barber in recent times.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA
if the waiter does their job and i get my food hot, then they get 20% only because it's easier for me to calculate.  if wait staff screws up my order or food is crappy, they get the standard US fare of 15%.

do any of you tip the maitre'D?  i have heard this is customary but i have never done it.

also, do you leave tips for the maid at hotels?  i leave a buck or two each night and come back to find it untouched.  Same with overseas (well at least in Israel).

Obviously i tip the bellman a buck or two per bag.
chittydog
less busy

True, but they don't need a waitstaff since you order and pick up your own food at the counter. They also work on a lower profit margin since their volume is so much higher. Life is a series of stupid little rules. This is just one of them.

Last edited by chittydog (2008-10-03 21:17:40)

chittydog
less busy

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

if the waiter does their job and i get my food hot, then they get 20% only because it's easier for me to calculate.  if wait staff screws up my order or food is crappy, they get the standard US fare of 15%.

do any of you tip the maitre'D?  i have heard this is customary but i have never done it.

also, do you leave tips for the maid at hotels?  i leave a buck or two each night and come back to find it untouched.  Same with overseas (well at least in Israel).

Obviously i tip the bellman a buck or two per bag.
The "tip" for tipping the maid at hotels is to place it on the pillow. That let's them know it's for them and not just random cash left out. Leave it below the pillow in Jamaica or other Caribbean islands where tipping is not allowed (you'll get much, much better service if you tip them in advance).
God Save the Queen
Banned
I was pissed off when my barber raised his price a dollar out of the blue.  instead of a 3 dollar tip he gets a 2 dollar tip
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA

God Save the Queen wrote:

I was pissed off when my barber raised his price a dollar out of the blue.  instead of a 3 dollar tip he gets a 2 dollar tip
why not cut your own hair?  i've been doing my own high and tight since 1987.  take me about 10 mins tops.  clippers cost 20 bucks.
13rin
+977|6471

foods pretty cheap at mcdonalds
They serve food at Mcdonalds?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
The#1Spot
+105|6531|byah
7.5% sales tax is the tip
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

So you take your tip out on the waiter if the food is bad, even though its the chefs fault?
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

The#1Spot wrote:

7.5% sales tax is the tip
That is the tip for the government, not the waitress.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6455|Tyne & Wear, England
Am I the only person who tips Taxi drivers??

I mean why the fuck do I do that?
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6777|Perth, Western Australia

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Am I the only person who tips Taxi drivers??

I mean why the fuck do I do that?
I tip taxi drivers, but I live a ways out of the main entertainment district in Perth (like a 35 minute drive at 1am), so I know they're going to be using otherwise clockable time to get back to somewhere where people want taxis.

Last edited by SharkyMcshark (2008-10-04 04:33:27)

rdx-fx
+955|6583
You tip for the service of the food.

What you get at McDonalds is hardly service, and "food" only through lack of  a better term.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
I don't tip anyone full stop.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
I don't see the point in tipping someone. I mean, it's not like they're not on a wage already. It's not like you're not already paying the business and thus paying them. So why pay more. Out of courtesy? Fuck you, I'm not going to be morally shaken down by some fucking waiter or something standing there waiting to be tipped. You want a tip, go ask your manager for your pay fucking cheque.

I couldn't be bothered watching the video so I don't know what he said in that.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-10-04 03:46:13)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6484|Connecticut
I tip usually pretty well, so long as the service reflects it. However, I absolutely refuse to tip the morons in the jar at the counter of fast places. Dunkin Donuts and Subway in my town have tip jars....wtf? You just made a fucking sandwich, a lousy one at that so get over yourself. Oh, here is some tip money for pouring my coffee that took 2.3 seconds. Perhaps I would tip you more if there wasn't a pile of sugar large enough to give me diabetes at the bottom of my shitty styrafoam cup when I asked for "one sugar, no cream".

***Edit*** And whats with the creepy guy in the bathroom? Ok I am all set, I will somehow manage to go without a spritz of your bathroom blend of Nautica cologne and find my own way to dry my hands if you were not here. kthx

Last edited by deeznutz1245 (2008-10-04 03:50:05)

Malloy must go
chittydog
less busy

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I don't see the point in tipping someone. I mean, it's not like they're not on a wage already.
In the US, waiters only make about half of minimum wage because it's expected that you'll tip. If everyone stopped tipping, their pay would go up and food prices would do the same. With the tipping system, you end up paying a little less (since they don't report all their tips to the IRS) AND you get to control their pay based on the quality of their work.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York

I agree with Mr. Pink
I always remember that scene when I think of tipping people at restaurants.

I tip EXTRA when they deserve it. When they're extra friendly, extra helpful, and they're generally good at their job. I'll tip lower if they don't. Simple as that.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Yes I always tip. If it's crappy service, low or even no tip if they really fucked up. If it's good service, standard fare. Great service, higher tip.

Also, don't tip based on the fucking food. Your waiter isn't the fucking chef. If you complain to the waiter and he does nothing about it then tip a bit less, but don't be a stupid fucking spoiled crybaby and tip less simply because they cooked your steak medium well instead of medium.

Note that this applies to restaurants. I tend to put loose change in the tip jar at Starbucks etc simply cause I work the same kind of job and I know it's nice to get some extra money on the side. But we make at least minimum wage; waiters and waitresses usually make less. Before someone comes with the whole "GET A BETTAR JOB LAWL" speech, you try getting a good job when you have very little work experience and you're young. Fucking Best Buy wouldn't hire me for a position even though I'm certain I out-qualify most of the sad excuses for salespeople there.

Also, europeans please don't post >_> we know it's not the custom to tip in Europe, and that often it's calculated into the bill.

@Spaulding, I think tipping the maitre'd is only customary at really fancy restaurants. Again, the whole "if you can afford a 70 fucking steak you can afford a bit of generosity" thing comes into play. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a maitre'd makes min. wage, even though they basically stand there, write down names, and seat you.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2008-10-04 14:27:18)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

I wonder if Mr. Pink has a car note.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Also, europeans please don't post >_> we know it's not the custom to tip in Europe, and that often it's calculated into the bill.
What are you talking about?
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Bertster7 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What are you talking about?
I've heard the same thing before, but in the context of England only.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard