topal63
. . .
+533|6719

Sud wrote:

. . .
Now, I'm about to touch on the true source of the problem, which is that Anti-Tanks are severely underplayed. People will simply not switch to this class, no matter how many times they die to a tank.  . . .

. . . What does Anti-Tank get? Well if they land the 3 or so rounds, they may get a kill. . . .
Too true

Also being spawn rapped is not an issue as the rotter-guy thinks? It is simple you don't spawn at the rape-hot-spot - SIMPLE! You spawn at another FLAG, unless it's the last, and work your way back to the hot spot with that AT-kit. A rocket doesn't have to be near a tank, it's not friggen C4 spec. ops stuff. . .

BUT!
People don't do it. Like you said where's the reward? Getting killed is not an in-game (BF2) reward - points are.
The risk/reward ratio is not appealing to people.

Also even if it wasn't underplayed(?) - you could fire a couple rounds and hit a tank (it might not be at 50% damage, due to a crate or another engineer) and some other guy takes it to greater than 50% damage with one-hit, and another AT-kit takes it out. So what do you get, no kill assist (1 point), and no kill (2 points). No reward at all other than knowing you helped - that idea does not fly for any players - period.

Another reason the kit is even MORE underplayed now (since patch 1.2) - is that the RISK has gone up - while the REWARD has remained stationary. With all these super accurate snipers and super accurate machine gun kits being used - forget about taking the tank out - crap you need to defend yourself against these guys. And forget about the DAO (as good as it is); the not close-quarter battles; medium range fire-fights get you killed fast (PKM-kit spots AT-kit - AT-guy go bye-bye).

The kit doesn't have grenades (why? no reason every other kit does, in some form). DICE underpowered this kit by design. It's a deliberate underpowering by design. Also the machin-gun unlocks are no match for the G3, G36 or PKM.

So what is an AT-kit, a in-game bad choice, if your intersted in staying alive and getting points, which lead to new ranks and new unlocks.

For the AT-kit to be used more often DICE would have to make the in-game risk reward ratio more favorable than it is.
FromTheAshes
+53|6705
To make it more realilistic how about when you die ONCE in the game the game shuts down and you have to buy a new one?

STFU about realism fucktard.
bitterlip
+1|6681|Zurich, Switzerland

RDMC wrote:

1 shot 1 kill is absolutly bull.. the american Abram tank can actually take 3/4 hits and still be able to get away.
And the transport should actually be stronger.. the american Humvee is like indestructable.. shoot a missle at is and it keepss on drivin..
WTF?? Do you know how many Humvees the US lost in Iraq?
You know what an IED is? look at this page: http://icasualties.org/oif/
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6631|New Hampshire, USA
the only way a tank will be seriously hurt by a missle is if its armor piercing.  Regular rockets won't do that much damage.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
blacksheepcannibal
+24|6752
I think that the game should be a balance of realism and gameplay. If everything was totally realistic, the US army would dominate every map. If everything was pure gameplay, *everything* would be identical and too much arcade-style over simulation-style.

That being said, I agree that armor seems to be a little too powerful, especially on maps with no air support. Karkand, really. As anti-tank, it is *extremely* rare that i ever even get a kill on a tank, let alone hurt it enough before it kills me to matter. Anybody in armor is *very* parinoid about C4 and AT rockets.

I think they should balance it by upping the power on the Eryx and SMAW by about 30%, while reducing the total blast radius. I dont think that would overpower the AT, and it wouldnt handicap Armor, but currently, it seems 60% of my deaths are from armor in karkand, even as AT (all i play on karkand anymore. ever. )
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6739

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

In desert Storm, the M1 Abrams had 2 confirmed losses vs about 3000 Iraqi tanks. An M1A2 Abrams IRL can take a shitload of abuse, and even when it is crippled, the operator of that vehicle has a pretty good chance of survival.
We lost 2 because we had longer range. Edit: oh and depleted uranium shells

Last edited by Sigarms357 (2006-03-07 15:41:04)

herrr_smity
+156|6628|space command ur anus

Sigarms357 wrote:

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

In desert Storm, the M1 Abrams had 2 confirmed losses vs about 3000 Iraqi tanks. An M1A2 Abrams IRL can take a shitload of abuse, and even when it is crippled, the operator of that vehicle has a pretty good chance of survival.
depleted uranium its the most stupid round in the world. it hits something and you better not get close to the area after. it becomes radioactive and fucks you up.
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6739

herrr_smity wrote:

Sigarms357 wrote:

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

depleted uranium its the most stupid round in the world. it hits something and you better not get close to the area after. it becomes radioactive and fucks you up.
Actually it is a great round.  Melts the hell out of enemy armor.  And since it is depleted, it doesnt have the effect and radioactivity of uranium.  However, critics still have yet to figure out gulf war syndrome, so.....
Zar_Niko
+1|6643
Hehe,

guys guys...

If you are a bit of skilled 2 AT missiles will kill the tank or in WORST case leaving him with 3 red bars (this is when most drivers get out BEEP BEEP).
But do you know why tanks are so strong and almost never die?
I see a tank..it comes near...it shoots, shoots and kills my team...and they all spawn...as medic, as assault, as princess and as taxi driver...but noone has the idea of spawning as AT.

Well i understand them...if there are no tanks or apc...the AT class can be very sucky (you need close range).
And if you kill the tank (what needs some time) you get 1 kill = 2 points. If you take support, you maybe get spawnkilled 2 times but after the tank vanished by something you can start your nooby booby PKM-killingspree.

So, now imagine that ou get 3, 4 or 5 points for a tank and your team gets killed at your flag...what would happen? ;-)
It would give a rocketparty and the tankdriver will see more white stripes in the air than on the US flag!

This is the fact that shows that a tank is nothing if some people are willing to play for the team instead of making high scores. (The ranking system has his disadvantages!)

I don't care the points anymore, i don't care my K/D ratio...i will never become the best and badges say nothing. I've seen some privates playing like hell, i've high level players suck...me and my friend often play AT-Squad and on Karkand and Mashtuur we almost win everytime, because 2 AT with skill will smoke up everything on wheels or tracks (with patch 1.2 helicopters as well!)

Stop discussing, take anti-tank shoot the tank until it explodes and go close combat and DAO them!

Zar Niko
BudRell
+2|6838|Home
Have ANY of you ever even seen a real anti-tank weapon ?? I guess not.
You guys don't have any idea what it is to fire an portable anti-tank weapon (well, a few of you could have seen..).

I have fired a real weapon called "APILAS" that penetrates 700mm of steel.
That is THE ONLY HAND HELD weapon that will STOP a modern tank if you are able to fire the rocket from behind or side. NEVER FROM FRONT.
It will NOT destroy the tank unless you are very lucky and hit the ammo inside the tank.
When you shoot with APILAS, there is only ONE shot...usually for rest of your life because the tank sees you immediately when you press the trigger and destroys your position.
You CAN NOT MOVE after you have fired that weapon. The pressure of sound is so massive. It takes some time to overcome that shock.

It looks like this : http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/kalustoesit … 046_en.dsp

Even IF you stop a tank it will usually continue firing...and at this point you will die if not earlier.
If the whole crew dies for some reason, most of the new tanks have an automatic procedure to empty all it's ammo by itself...so it's still dangerous.

So if someone is able to destroy a tank in real life you can bet that the "tank" was REALLY crap (slow shitbowl) or the crew was having homosexual party inside it...
Even getting near a modern tank is so tricky that without hard training you can not do it.

Guidable missiles are a different story...

P.S. The BEST anti-tank soldiers were (WW2)/are from what country ?? Correct ! They are NOT from USA or middle-east...
Those best of the best tank destroyers were able to shoot 7 times in one minute (that IS the world record !) during WW2 with a stationary anti-tank weapon. The tanks were about 10 times slower then...and no automatics/balanced barrels.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard