prototype
+52|6328
Which is the best way to go and why, using a cable connection.

Last edited by prototype (2008-09-22 17:01:12)

jsnipy
+3,276|6540|...

dynamic, if you get banned form anything its a pain to get a new one. if you need awareness of your home there is always ddns.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6471|The Twilight Zone
I use static but I'd listen to J. lol
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6383|California
dynamic
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6456|King Of The Islands

Dynamic so the government can't send the government man.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
cospengle
+140|6504|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Paranoid feaks

Well, I'm no expert, but I think you need static for some things to work (like if you have a web server at home, or you want to use one of those fandangled programs that let you access your home computer from the internet when you're out). If you don't do any of that stuff then I suppose it doesn't matter.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6456|King Of The Islands

Oh yeah, good ISP helps.

Exetel for example, will forward C&D notices straight on. Internode are like "meh", Mark as Junk.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6369|uk

cospengle wrote:

Paranoid feaks

Well, I'm no expert, but I think you need static for some things to work (like if you have a web server at home, or you want to use one of those fandangled programs that let you access your home computer from the internet when you're out). If you don't do any of that stuff then I suppose it doesn't matter.
There is also a service called DDNS (Dynamic DNS), which will map a domain name to an IP that constantly changes.

How it works is that you install some software on a PC (some routers can even do it), and when the IP changes, the PC/router updates the IP address for the domain.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5734|Vancouver, BC, Canada

Titch2349 wrote:

cospengle wrote:

Paranoid feaks

There is also a service called DDNS (Dynamic DNS), which will map a domain name to an IP that constantly changes.

How it works is that you install some software on a PC (some routers can even do it), and when the IP changes, the PC/router updates the IP address for the domain.
Yeah, but there's problems to DDNS too,

For one, Bf2 servers are tracked by IP, so soon as it changes, your server rank and stats die on Game-Tracker.(And Favs)

For two, many end ISP's(client) tend to cache Ip's in a hosts type file, so when your IP changes, it goes around the internet instantly, BUT, many ISP's still have your old Ip cached so half the people that used to go to your site can;t get onto it anymore for 2 days.

Along with other problems.

But yeah, if you run any form of public server, shell out the extra $5/month for a static IP,
Otherwise, you'll benefit more from a Dynamic IP
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6602|England
Home use = dynamic
Server use = static

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard