Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker
Chevy > Ford
Karbin
+42|6293
The reason they won't offer it for sale in N.A. isn't crash test or because it's diesel.
They won't offer it because of the per unit profit.
Small cars run at a lower price per unit.
Lower price, less money to the corp. in profit.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

Karbin wrote:

The reason they won't offer it for sale in N.A. isn't crash test or because it's diesel.
except the chevy volt is electric and most people will rarely have to get fuel.  so whats your argument again?
The#1Spot
+105|6538|byah

usmarine wrote:

Karbin wrote:

except the chevy volt is electric and most people will rarely have to get fuel.  so whats your argument again?
The Volt is a waste of money as the car will not pay for its self for around 8-12years.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Karbin wrote:

The Volt is a waste of money as the car will not pay for its self for around 8-12years.
and most cars do pay for themselves?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

The#1Spot wrote:

its about getting off the foreign oil bro.  and i dont keep cars for more than 6 years.
The#1Spot
+105|6538|byah

usmarine wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

its about getting off the foreign oil bro.  and i dont keep cars for more than 6 years.
The point is that you will save more money in the long run buying a cheaper gas powered car with over 30mpg than the Volt
Stingray24
This new math is weird.  Infinite is now less than 65 ...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

The point is that you will save more money in the long run buying a cheaper gas powered car with over 30mpg than the Volt
how?  my commute to work is 8 miles round trip.  and weekend errands and such would rarely go over 40 miles roundtrip.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Did no one check the cost of diesel compared to unleaded in the US? It's the most expensive fuel. That's the business model Ford didn't think would work.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Stingray24
The battery only takes 6-7 hours to recharge.  That means even with my 80 mile daily commute I could drive to work, charge it at work by plugging it into any garden variety wall socket and drive back home without using ANY gas.  Furthermore, I can drive all around town to my hearts content without using ANY gas.  That beats the pants off 65mpg ... which the Ford will most certainly NOT get in city driving.

Check it out:
http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/?evar1=

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-09-22 17:42:47)

OxenBreeder
+46|5764|KTRI

topal63 wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/article/105735/The-65-mpg-Ford-the-U.S.-Can't-Have
If ever there was a car made for the times, this would seem to be it: a sporty subcompact that seats five, offers a navigation system, and gets a whopping 65 miles to the gallon. Oh yes, and the car is made by Ford Motor, known widely for lumbering gas hogs.

Ford's 2009 Fiesta ECOnetic goes on sale in November. But here's the catch: Despite the car's potential to transform Ford's image and help it compete with Toyota Motor and Honda Motor in its home market, the company will sell the little fuel sipper only in Europe. "We know it's an awesome vehicle," says Ford America President Mark Fields. "But there are business reasons why we can't sell it in the U.S." The main one: The Fiesta ECOnetic runs on diesel.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/fi/18/21/00.gif
The ECOnetic will go on sale in November...
... in Europe!!!
Is it me, or is this one of the many examples as to why the big 3 in America are losing billions?

I guess the big 3 and the airlines are the next to have their hands out wanting bailouts from the gov't. I guess we're looking at a total of say a cool trillion dollars by the time this is all said and done?

Seems to me that we bailed out the banks back in the 80's, and 2 decades later here we are again. And I assume we're still paying for that one.

Hmmmm!!!!

FOCK
Karbin
+42|6293

usmarine wrote:

Karbin wrote:

The question isn't about fuel types.
It is about Detroit's believe that they don't make enough money, per unit, on small cars
in the North American market.

Larger cars bring in more money.
Small cars is a market that is "Overloaded with types and makers".

Do you really think that any of the Detroit Three want to go head to head with anyone in the
small car market?
OxenBreeder
+46|5764|KTRI
Do you really think that any of the Detroit Three want to go head to head with anyone in the
small car market?
They don't really have any choice, do they? They've already scaled back production of their cash cow's (suv's), and they lost billions, building them over the past xx years.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5700|College Park, MD
1) The plant is in Britain so it'd cost a lot to build it there then send it to the US unless they open up a new plant here

2) Americans still think diesel = thick black clouds and toxic fumes, even though I think with new tech it's actually cleaner than gasoline, not to mention way more fucking efficient

3) Higher MPG or not, people still see diesel being more expensive than gas and won't want it. Get Congress to remove the fucking tax on diesel so we can have it cheaper, like it used to be.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Sgt.Gene
+215|6762

usmarine wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine wrote:

how?  my commute to work is 8 miles round trip.  and weekend errands and such would rarely go over 40 miles roundtrip.
My commute to school is 19 miles round trip. Thats a little over 1 gallon of gas per trip for me.

Buying a car such as the chevy volt is a quick relief for gas prices, but it will burn a BIG hole in your pocket upfront, and in 5 years when the battery in the car goes bad.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya

usmarine wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

And that doesn't apply to the Chevy Volt? Or any other similar cars?

Why would it be irrelevant in 2 years?
the volt is electric.
Its not like it was the first electric car. they have been around for years. GM had the EV1 in the 1990's it got crushed and that was the end of electric cars for a while. and yet if they had continued making them and other companies etc had explored cars powered by alternate method other than fuel.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
Ugly car
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
bob9f6
+11|5987|A sea above the map of Tassie

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

1) The plant is in Britain so it'd cost a lot to build it there then send it to the US unless they open up a new plant here

2) Americans still think diesel = thick black clouds and toxic fumes, even though I think with new tech it's actually cleaner than gasoline, not to mention way more fucking efficient

3) Higher MPG or not, people still see diesel being more expensive than gas and won't want it. Get Congress to remove the fucking tax on diesel so we can have it cheaper, like it used to be.
I would agree. The concept of diesel cars in sedan's in the US is probably an uphill battle. The perception being no power, smokey, I want my V8 etc. Ford will most likely wait until someone esle gets diesel passenger vehicles in the mainstream/spotlight then introduce their 'better' product. Where as the small diesel passenger car market in Europe has been around over a decade.
motherdear
+25|6650|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
there is one very easy reason why they do not sell it in the us. the problem is the diesel, many gas tanks don't carry it and it's of far inferior quality to european diesel, everytime they produce a car that's for both markets they have to decrease the power of the engine with 30% of what it could be because it can not run on the us diesel with the normal engine so they decrease it even though it would be able to go faster in europe.

that's one of the reasons why the us still thinks that diesel is inefficient (even though it's not).

idk if this made any sense whatsoever but hopefully it did. but it's very anoying that it is like this.

they would not be able to achieve this mileage with the poor american diesel.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Karbin wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Karbin wrote:

The question isn't about fuel types.
It is about Detroit's believe that they don't make enough money, per unit, on small cars
in the North American market.

Larger cars bring in more money.
Small cars is a market that is "Overloaded with types and makers".

small car market?
The explanation provided by Ford deals with fuel types and the reticence of the American public to drive diesel-powered vehicles. So unless you've got something disproving that...

The Big Three know that small cars are the money maker for the time being. Trucks have stopped being the number one seller for the first time ever. They (and foreign makers) are redirecting resources from truck assembly to medium/small car assembly. The facts of where the companies are going seem to disprove your contention.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6221|Brisneyland
I think there are some misconceptions about the Chevy Volt. The car will be primarily electric, and will run 40 miles without charging. After the battery gets low, it will start up a petrol engine to charge up the battery. See quote.

wiki wrote:

The vehicle is designed to run purely on electricity from on-board batteries for up to 40 miles (64 km), or about half the range of GM's first electric car, the EV1 — a large enough distance to cover the daily commutes of 75% of Americans[7], which averages around 33 miles (53 km).[8] With the use of a small internal combustion engine driving a generator to resupply the batteries, the vehicle's range is potentially increased to 360 miles (579 km) on the highway (and which can be extended for very long trips by conventional refueling).
There should be no problems with it running decent distances every day.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6436|Germany
I don't get it how some of you can say "lol, doesn't matter, we'll get another car a year later that might be even better, and also it's ugly, lulz". Don't you realize that you're just defending the greed of gain of a huge company? Why don't you say "hey that's an alternative to our current cars, perhaps someone will buy it, it might help to save the evironment a little bit, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY BOTH OF THOSE CARS?"

Last edited by mr.hrundi (2008-09-23 04:12:41)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Poseidon wrote:

Case in point: The Prius Pious.
Fixed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Diesel is cheaper to produce and not as polluting.
Litre for litre, Diesel produces more CO2 and more particulates.
40 miles then re-plug or use emergency engine to re-plug - just plain sucks, to me.
What sucks is carrying around a petrol engine you may never need.
I'd rather replace it with batteries and have a 100 mile range.
Volt > all. Volt actually looks GOOD.
Volt looks like your typical American pseudo-macho car bought buy 18 year olds to disguise their lack of facial hair. It doesn't really look all that practical.
Macho and gay are very close IMO.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard