mtm87tx
+0|6618
I do not have a fortune and as much as i would like the best stuff im more of a "best bang for the buck" guy.
I need a video card, CPU, mother board and ram for ~1000.00. what is my best options guys?

I like the evga line of cards? are these good? like the 6800 i forget which one its the best 6800 though. is the 7800 really worth the money? what other brand cards do you guys run? i have a 24" moniter so the graphics are just not that great

CPU/mother board - i know nothing but i am assuming the dual core AMD's are the best right now? what speed is good that wont be considered a fossil by the time its shipped to my house

Ram - once again i know nothing... i guess 2gb would be good for now?

i have a case and a hard drive also a 450 or 500 watt powersupply and im on a cable connection. it just lags some and the graphics and smoothness could be alot better.  Im a car guy not a computer guy so i figured i would ask the people who play the game i do.

I currently have and dont laugh...
3.0 P4 on a PSP400 board with 512mb ram DDR
Radeon 9700pro 128mb DDR
so anything will be better then this dinosaur im playing on

Last edited by mtm87tx (2006-03-07 11:16:39)

Ziggy_79x
+4|6655
Here are a few things for you to check out. In my opinion these are very good price/performance.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103539

Or, if you want to go dual core: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103562

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813123258

Or, if you want SLI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813136157

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820145575

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814130256

This is just to give you some idea of what the good buys are. I would definately go with a socket 939 AMD processor over Intel. Dual core isn't that much of a factor right now unless you multitask a lot, but they will be soon. Nforce 4 chipset for your motherboard. Nvidia video 7800gt or if you wanna go buck wild 7800gtx, but that would make you go over your budget I think. Just read a lot of reviews on certain brands and see what you like and what people that have it say about it.

Last edited by Ziggy_79x (2006-03-07 11:53:48)

vjs
+19|6741
Well what you have is actually a fairly decent system, I'll propose two options to you an upgrade and a long term.

I really think your not liking your system b/c of two major factors, Memory and Grahpics card. I'm thinking that's an AGP system since you have the 9700 which I don't think came in PCI-E.

Short term:

Consider the following,

2G of of the fastest memory... might I suggest Giel 2-2-2-5. You could use this in a future upgrade. (~$250 New on E-bay) This you can use in your next system.

Don't break the bank on a video card since it's AGP, go for a used x850pro, x800 (<$180) or a 6800GS, 7800GS (quite a bit more not sure if it's worth it $/performance).  Whatever card you buy you won't be able to use it in your next system since a new board should have PCI-E.

Third is a harddrive, Get a pair of raptors or better yet a single 15K SCSI with a controller card. (This you will keep for many systems to come. (Again you can use this in your next system) (<300 could be in the ~200 if you buy on e-bay). Keep your exisitng drive for storage and downloading.

The above is already >600 dollars and needed in either case.

Long term: Can't really do it for 1000 bucks and get anything better than what you already have with the upgrades I suggested).

But suggestions for the new system:

Memory same as above gonna cost yah $250.
Harddrives: 2 x raptor but really consider 15K SCSI (E-bay will change your mind on this don't need anything more than 36G 15K SCSI) Use a second Sata drive for your storage and downloading, SCSI for O/S, App's and Games. ($200-300)

The above two are esentially needed for a good system which leaves you with 500 bucks.

Video card eat's up at least $200 (won't get much better than a x850pro, x800, 6800GS on your budget)
Processor the same if not more $250.
Nothing left for a motherboard.

Suggestions anyways:

Motherboard the Nvidia4 Pro is your best bet, go 939 only with 2 16x lines.
For processors get a opteron 165 or 170 and overclock. (best bang for the buck, other wise the above suggestions are great, processors can easily be upgraded)
Don't buy a new AGP board you already have one.
Don't get the intel or socket 754 (not worth the money vs the 939).
Memory 2G nothing more nothing less, must be dual channel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now considering that your going to need to get:
The memory which is common to both choices.
The harddrives which are common to both choices.
Buy those first and see how much you have left...

Personally I'd get the above two and a x800XT, x850pro, 6800GS for <$180 wait another year.
Pull the memory and drive out and sell the computer as is with the <$200 dollar card.

You wouldn't knock your current system if you were to simply get 2G and a SCSI drive.
Add <$200 bucks for a x850pro and you'll be very very pleased.

My current specs:

Socket A barton 3200 (2.4G)
15K SCSI 72G u320<-- yup more than I needed
Adaptec 29160
160G ATA drive
DVD burner
USB Zip
x850pro (500/500) but could o/c it to (575/635) if I really needed it
On board Sound
2G Giel 2-2-2-5 dual channel

Over 80 frames per second with (500/500) high settings on everything except (Low shadows, Low effects, 100% distance, 6x).
I'm also one of the first to load and rarely if ever do I have lag.
Sound on Medium, software.

I have turned everything to high and overclocked the card it plays very well but I don't like the look of the game with high shadows.  High effects are great but it lags when there are alot of people.
RECONDO67
+60|6606|miami FL
I Recomend Buy  And Play Another Game This Game Has More Bug's Than Bug'd Life The Movie
Every New Patch Has A New Bug
Havazn
+39|6664|van.ca

RECONDO67 wrote:

I Recomend Buy  And Play Another Game This Game Has More Bug's Than Bug'd Life The Movie
He never said he played BF2.
mtm87tx
+0|6618

Havazn wrote:

RECONDO67 wrote:

He never said he played BF2.
i play BF2 every day thats why im asking you guys what components you like
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6626|Chandler, AZ
well...everyone already beat me here...

dont buy a new system right now, its the worst time to with the new AM2 socket and the Intel Conroes coming out soon, as well as the launch of DX10, which no cards support as of yet(because MS doesnt have a developer kit ready yet)....

but if you have to upgrade no...heres what I would reccomend...

AMD 4200 x2
Zalman 120mm HSF
Asus A8N-SLI32
EVGA 7800GT
2GB Corsair XMS PRO PC3500

1,000 is alot to spend on that kind of an upgrade...
Defiance
+438|6641

I dont have much to say past:

Vid Card: nVidia all the way, atleast a 6800 GT/GS.

RAM: 2 gigs. Your BF2 life depends on it.
mtm87tx
+0|6618
whats the difference in a 7800GT CO SE, 7800GT CO, and a 7800GT and which do i buy.
420JOKES
+-1|6611
if ur looking for bang get athlon if u got cash get p4 ex with athlon u can OC and it cools better p4 gets hot real fast 200$ for water cooler but better speeds
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
get a good asus mobo (non-sli since u dont have cash)
amd 3800+ dual core
7800gt (cheapest one since its not much difference)
2gb of ocz ram
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6666|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
omg ninja you dont have a shock paddle kill , what currency of $1000, ill recommend the
AMD Athlon X2+3800 Dual-Core socket 939
Leadtek 7800gt (best bang for your buck 7800gt)
2gb of Corsair value or OCZ Value
Motherboard i'd say DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D Cheap and good
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

omg ninja you dont have a shock paddle kill , what currency of $1000, ill recommend the
AMD Athlon X2+3800 Dual-Core socket 939
Leadtek 7800gt (best bang for your buck 7800gt)
2gb of Corsair value or OCZ Value
Motherboard i'd say DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D Cheap and good
i like my knife better, thats why im a ninja lol
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6666|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
hehe, but its fun giving people the shock of their life
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

hehe, but its fun giving people the shock of their life
knife is more embarrasing when u stab them when they try to noob toob u lol
mtm87tx
+0|6618
can someone help me find a AMD dual core 3800 on newegg.com and a good mobo to go with it?
vjs
+19|6741
As I said before I think that's a mistake.

Since you need at least the memory, buy that first and install it in your system.
You didn't comment which harddrive you have were you going to upgrade it?

Harddrives are cheap seriously.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SEAGATE-ST37345 … dZViewItem

230 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-36GB-SCSI-1 … dZViewItem

100 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adaptec-29160-Ultra … dZViewItem

Controller card currently going for 25 bucks

I personally think at that point you would consider a card for your current system

Last edited by vjs (2006-03-08 11:13:58)

JonnyNuemonic
+22|6682|Dublin, Republic of Ireland
I was gona build my own aswell.....untill i realised I was way to lazy so I went out and bougth myself and Alienware system...and man oh man...what a system....u should look thm up if your willing to part with your bank account abit
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6645|Planet Seibertron ;)

mtm87tx wrote:

can someone help me find a AMD dual core 3800 on newegg.com and a good mobo to go with it?
I recommend against going this route right now, as your system is quite capable of running the game.  If you plan on upgrading, I suggest evaluating how long you plan on keeping the system around.

It's probably best to add in 2GB of RAM as part of a short term life-extension for your computer.  This'll set you back about US$150 at the least.  Your computer has enough computing power to bring out the most of your video card.  Upgrading the entire core system would be costly and would likely not work out well in the long run.

AMD's M2 socket will feature DDR2, of which we're looking at a market that is quickly shifting away from DDR.  The memory will be the best option to go for as it will keep the system capable for a little while longer (and getting back that $150 from saving will not take long either).

Given from your current specs, there are some things that you'll likely end up purchasing... where the extra money you save from a small RAM upgrade will help pay off.

1) Power Supply -- today's PCI Express video cards may end up needing additional power.  And some of the current motherboards require 20+4pin power connectors.  If you wish to get something like a GeForce 7800GT, you're going to need a new power supply for those heavy requirements.

2) Motherboard -- As obvious, you'll need a motherboard capable of handling your CPU, RAM, video card(s), and other things.  In about 3 months from now, motherboards will feature DDR2 memory slots, which brings us to...

3) RAM -- DDR is being phased out... and in a bad way for those still on S939 like myself.  Save yourself half the trouble and plan ahead.  Complement your new motherboard with new RAM that is both faster(???) and cheaper than old DDR.

4) CPU -- Current Intel processors and chipsets make use of DDR2.  AMD is migrating to use it.  The final piece of the puzzle is timing.  Right now AMD processors is the King for the 3D gaming.  Intel's Conroe processors dethrones the King but the caveat is that nobody can purchase one at this point.  Do you plan on upgrading now or 6 months later?  How much would you have saved by then?  Timing is key.

Right now, a decent solution may be a GeForce 7800GT (about US$275), an nForce4 motherboard (~ US$100), 500W-600W power supply (under US$100), and 2GB RAM (~ US$150).  That leaves about US$375 for an AMD processor.  Start contemplating.  Because it's a hard decision to make right now.
taxi2you
+22|6614|Missouri
Remember when doing a new build that Windows Vista will be out soon that is intedended to only run 64-bit systems.  Within the next few years everything will be going to 128 bit or at least dual 64, so don't blow too much right now.  Just keep the old one ticking with upgrades for a year or so.  Rumor is that Vista will not even support non 64-bit systems.  Right now it doesn't in the beta models, but the final release is still unknown.  AMD has promised to have 8400+ processors or 64x2 (128 bit) by 2008.
vjs
+19|6741
Looks like a second on keeping the system and simply upgrading the ram.

Yes ddr will be phased out it's been around for a while, remember sdram that dissappeared from the performance market pretty quick.

DDR2 is the future and the only reason why I'm not suggestion wait another 3 months etc. is from what I've seen from benchmarks DDR2 isn't that much faster. Even mirrored ddr2 isn't that much better.

You could get a 939-pin board in a few months with ddr2 support, should be enough bandwidth for the forseeable future.

Considering your thinking about upgrading your 3G-P4 your going through computers faster than underwear.

2G of Fast DDR OCZ, GEil, certain patriot, I can't recommend it strongly enough.

---------------------------------------

Also harddrives Sixshot can you comment, I think your the only opinion on this board regarding tech that's worth something. Can you back up my support for a 15K scsi as an O/S, app, game, drive.

Do some serious searching about 15K drives they are amazing, cant wait for 22K drives to come out.

A 15K drive will last you at least 5 years if not more.
mtm87tx
+0|6618
with new technology coming out i will most likely not be able to afford it just likey the newest video cards. i do not want to dump my savings into my computer and i typically upgrade every year or two. i am not serious enough that i need the latest and greatest but instead a above average system that will let me enjoy BF2 to its full extent.

i could spend 4k on a computer if i wanted i just dont care to do so, im budgeting my self because im buying a new car.

with this said.... what are my best options or should i still wait? heres my Biggest dilema... i dont want to spend money on a AGP card and if i go to PCI-E i have to buy everything. do i wait or purchase now?
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
since Vista is coming out soon maybe you could wait around that time for the conroe which already beat what amd has and maybe a new nvidia card or ati card
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6645|Planet Seibertron ;)

mtm87tx wrote:

with new technology coming out i will most likely not be able to afford it just likey the newest video cards. i do not want to dump my savings into my computer and i typically upgrade every year or two. i am not serious enough that i need the latest and greatest but instead a above average system that will let me enjoy BF2 to its full extent.

i could spend 4k on a computer if i wanted i just dont care to do so, im budgeting my self because im buying a new car.

with this said.... what are my best options or should i still wait? heres my Biggest dilema... i dont want to spend money on a AGP card and if i go to PCI-E i have to buy everything. do i wait or purchase now?
Simply wait it out.  As I mentioned, it's best to go with a decent RAM upgrade to extend the life of that computer of yours.  512MB is considered bare minimum for the most basic tasks in XP.  Gaming will need more than just 512MB just to house all those data and BF2 just simply does better with more than 1GB.  The most common performance booster is RAM, especially when you have a system like yours.  Your setup will set an example of just how much more responsive your system will 'feel' when you have 2GB installed compared to 512MB.

I won't question as to how much you are capable of spending.  I know we all have a limit when it comes to upgrading our systems.  It's just that right now we're stuck in the middle where we can either upgrade now or wait it out since the better stuff are coming soon.  I know that 3GHz for a P4 is good enough for many things.  And I know it's not the best out there.  But it does run and run it can.  The reason I recommend against going through the massive upgrade now is because I factor in what is coming out soon.  Thinking ahead and planning ahead is something I usually do when it comes to building a system in my head or on paper.  The last thing we need is to end up feeling screwed over because we jumped the gun.  I know I am half screwed because AMD is moving to DDR2 and that I just recently overhauled my system from AthlonXP to Athlon64 X2 AGP to Athlon64 X2 PCI Express... to a new pair of 1GB RAM.  The problem?  I did all that within a 3 month period, something that I should NOT have done in first place!  But I had the dough and I wanted the transition to be a little easier.

Trust in the few of us who have good insights as to what's best.  The choice will ultimately be yours in the end.  But I am posting right now to say what my recommendations are.  These are your options at this time.  And I won't question your decision if you decided otherwise.

vjs wrote:

Also harddrives Sixshot can you comment, I think your the only opinion on this board regarding tech that's worth something. Can you back up my support for a 15K scsi as an O/S, app, game, drive.

Do some serious searching about 15K drives they are amazing, cant wait for 22K drives to come out.

A 15K drive will last you at least 5 years if not more.
I'm flattered.

Well, as I have used SCSI in the past before, I have to admit that it is indeed an extremely solid interface and specifications compared to IDE.  SCSI drives are indeed built to last since most applications for SCSI is to be put through hell and back again.  15k SCSI is cutting-edge stuff, and I haven't looked into how much they cost now.  It'll definitely outperform SATA on a variety of applications.  But the biggest problem with SCSI is configuration.  One has to learn the terminologies as well as what is required to get a SCSI-based system going.  SATA has a simpler setup and is much more appealing to the DIY world with a much better learning curve over SCSI.

Going with SCSI is good if you can put everything on it... and that includes HDs and optical drives.  It'll shave off 2 or more interrupts and will free up CPU resources.  But the majority of today's optical drives are IDE/ATAPI and that's not likely to change (bad enough we don't have more SATA optical drives).  It'll be a good thing to have a SCSI drive boot Windows up... and perhaps other games as well.  But I personally do not see this to be practical.  A more cost effective solution would likely involve RAID setup that can both hold more data, have possible fault-tolerance, and be cheaper overall than getting a SCSI setup going.  SCSI has long sat in the realm of servers and high-end workstations that hardly anyone will give it any thought as an option for the gamer's market.  And with the move to a more serial-styled interface, SCSI is evolving or adapting to compete with the likes of SATA, which has been gnawing at the SCSI market for a while now.

I'll agree that SCSI is built to last.  The kind of conditions that SCSI has to endure makes it a nice option to consider if you want to keep your hardware for a long time.  But today's hard drives with sizes from 80GB all the way to 500GB, I find it hard to recommend it as an option as anyone can add in a second drive for mirroring (RAID-1) for loads less than a 15k SCSI drive of comparable sizes.  The problem I have is that it's a sound idea but it's really extreme to go for SCSI at this time.  With SATA being cheaper overall and comparable relatively in performance, it's SCSI's biggest competition of which the consortium ended up adapting SCSI into a serial interface (thus Serial Attached SCSI or SAS).  Even if one has the cash to spend for a SCSI setup, I ponder if it's necessary as it 1) increases power consumption (power needed for the SCSI adapter), 2) uses a parallel bus, 3) has a complicated setup (terminations and voltage differentials), and 4) requires possible adaption (80pin SCSI to regular 68pin or even to 50pin).  That's my take on it... I wish I could back you up on SCSI on OS and gaming... but I just do not find it practical enough to make it that much better.

Last edited by sixshot (2006-03-08 23:28:56)

mtm87tx
+0|6618
will the new RAM transfer to one of these mobo thats are coming out? or will it be outdate? is the RAM changing or just the new intel 64 bit or 128bit? im confused but i understand i should wait so i think i will just go get 2gb of ram and see how that works.

Last edited by mtm87tx (2006-03-09 07:54:57)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard