Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6701|England
Just upgraded my monitor from 22" (1680x1050) to 28" (1920x1200) and noticed Bf2 was getting laggy at some points e.g dropping to 60FPS from 100 which makes the game look laggy. Didn't have this before so opened GPU-Z while playing Bf2 to see what temps and stuff I was getting. Temps stayed at 50°C because GPU usage was only 40-50% so I assume this low GPU usage is responsible for the FPS drops. My 4870 should handle Bf2 at 1920x1200 piece of piss which it does most of the time apart from the random drops.
Same thing happens in C&C3 Tiberium wars, GPU usage won't go above 50% even when the game is dropping to 20 FPS. COD4 the highest it went to was 84%.
So my question is, is there any solution to this?

I know when the games reach there FPS cap they won't require more power from the card hence why its never at 100% all the time but why would the FPS drop if there still all that power spare? CPU usage is around 30-50% in most games so not due to CPU bottleneck.
System specs in sig.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

I'd suggest re-installing or updating your video card drivers if you've just changed your monitor.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6701|England

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I'd suggest re-installing or updating your video card drivers if you've just changed your monitor.
Updated to 8.9 afterwards
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6740|Uhh... erm...

Freezer wrote:

If you're getting 30-50% CPU usage on a Q6600, it could very well be a CPU bottleneck. Remember that it's a quad-core, and most games only use one core.

It shouldn't be a problem, as any C2D should handle most games of today without a hitch. You might wanna double-check the PCI-E link width.
Defiance
+438|6680

Tetrino wrote:

Freezer wrote:

If you're getting 30-50% CPU usage on a Q6600, it could very well be a CPU bottleneck. Remember that it's a quad-core, and most games only use one core.

It shouldn't be a problem, as any C2D should handle most games of today without a hitch. You might wanna double-check the PCI-E link width.
I've got to be missing something, what's with most of your posts being written as Freezer quotes?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland

Defiance wrote:

Tetrino wrote:

Freezer wrote:

I've got to be missing something, what's with most of your posts being written as Freezer quotes?
As far as I know:
Freezer was banned. He is using Tetrino's account now.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5974|London, England

kylef wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Tetrino wrote:

As far as I know:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
jamiet757
+138|6632

Drykill wrote:

Just upgraded my monitor from 22" (1680x1050) to 28" (1920x1200) and noticed Bf2 was getting laggy at some points e.g dropping to 60FPS from 100 which makes the game look laggy. Didn't have this before so opened GPU-Z while playing Bf2 to see what temps and stuff I was getting. Temps stayed at 50°C because GPU usage was only 40-50% so I assume this low GPU usage is responsible for the FPS drops. My 4870 should handle Bf2 at 1920x1200 piece of piss which it does most of the time apart from the random drops.
Same thing happens in C&C3 Tiberium wars, GPU usage won't go above 50% even when the game is dropping to 20 FPS. COD4 the highest it went to was 84%.
So my question is, is there any solution to this?

I know when the games reach there FPS cap they won't require more power from the card hence why its never at 100% all the time but why would the FPS drop if there still all that power spare? CPU usage is around 30-50% in most games so not due to CPU bottleneck.
System specs in sig.
If your GPU was working at 100% of it's capacity, you would be getting major lag. That would mean that something is using all the resources your card can give, and most likely the app wants more. You should never have anything working at 100% or else you are doing some serious computing.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

kylef wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Tetrino wrote:

As far as I know:
Well now Tetrino's banned too...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Spark wrote:

Well now Tetrino's banned too...
Probably because freezer was using it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6365|England - Kent
Could you're GPU be staying partly ideal for folding@home?
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6701|England

xRBLx wrote:

Could you're GPU be staying partly ideal for folding@home?
I've stopped folding now. Dreading the leccy bill

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard