---=[4lexDK]=---
+0|5671|Århus, Denmark
I have a weird problem

My game lags, not all the time, but for a moment, and then it back running normal.  but it happens all the time with a couple of minutes between the lags...

Have

Deluxe edition of bf2, running on

core 2 duo (think E6600)
2gb ram
7900gt - 256 mb 
Sound blaster audigy 2 zx
20gb connection

anybody knows what happens ?

I dont have the problem with bf2142
100% Irishpride
Banned
+81|6129|Dublin
Umm...

First i would try open the console, type pbsleep_500, Press enter then pb_writecfg , that will change the amount of time PB checks your PC from the default every 20 secs to 500.

If that doesnt work check your Graphic card settings, change it from high quality to performace.

Your graphics card is kinda old-ish, update your drivers on the OFFICAL site.

Close/Cancel all other programs whilst playing BF2, including firewalls/antivirus.

If none of them work, Reinstall + Repatch

If that dosnt work, Reformat ftw.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)
What he^^^ said...

Plus, is the lag regular?
i.e. is it like: LAAAAAAG, ok for 2mins, LAAAAAG, ok for 2mins, LAAAAG, etc...

Or, is it more random?

Also, is it short spikes of lag, or total slowdown for a while?

Does the HDD activity light, on your case front-panel, light-up whilst it's lagging?
---=[4lexDK]=---
+0|5671|Århus, Denmark
Drivers is updatede to the graphics card.. and i have no problems with the card in newer games.

Its Laaaaaag for a couple of seconds 2 - 3 then no problem for a minute or 2 then laaaaaagg again 

i think its random

If im driving down the road it lags and then i will be somewhere else not on the road.. its like my computere tries to catch up after the lag and it will be normal for a while and then i lags again my average ping is about 50
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6256|eng
Put all graph. related settings down to low, turn all effects shadows anti aliasing off, play with that for a couple days, then put it back up to medium or high or whatever. Worked for me when I got that problem.
#rekt
100% Irishpride
Banned
+81|6129|Dublin
Yea I had this problem a while ago too, it completely paused for like .8 of a second or so, then resumed very cleary back to ~60FPS... Strange
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

Mint Sauce wrote:

Put all graph. related settings down to low, turn all effects shadows anti aliasing off, play with that for a couple days, then put it back up to medium or high or whatever. Worked for me when I got that problem.
Probably works in the same way this works:

1. Find the folder where BF2 stores it's shader cache (can someone please post location of this - I've not got BF2 installed on this PC).
2. Delete said shader cache.
3. Defrag.
4. Load bf2 and join a server (it will rebuild the shader cache - allow it to do this).
5. As soon as you're into the server, quit and completely exit BF2.
6. Defrag again.
7. Enjoy...

@OP:
Basically, sometimes the shader cache seems to get fragmented (why this should happen makes no real sense to me), my method and Mintys probably both result in the shader cache getting defragged.

If that doesn't help, then try a re-install of bf2 - first uninstall it, then defrag, then re-install, then defrag again, then run for first time...

If that still doesn't help then, it may sound a strange thing to ask, but does your PC make an odd high-pitched screech at times (particularly just as it powers on/off)? If so, you're PSU could be on its way out (and even if the PC doesn't make a screeching sound, it still might be the PSU - check the voltages).

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-09-17 12:05:37)

=|Q-BRT|=
+6|6813|[GER]_BERLIN
it doesnt seem to be only u. since a few days im getting a lot of different problems ( more than the usual bf2 amount )

- i also got these freezes / connection problems (sometimes im getting set back a few steps when walking or a person i shot at suddenly drops dead)
- Bf2 crashes to desktop ( up to 3 times in half an hour )
- right now im trying to fix pb-kick for no package flow of PnkBstrB.exe ( also avast-virusscanner detects problems in PnkBstrK.sys )
  as far as i read about this toppic PnkBstrB.exe problem is somehow connectet to PnkBstrK.sys
- can't update Punkbuster via tool ( http:// [...]/pbgame.htm is missing on the update servers )
- also servers wich are not in my favorits have a ping of 0

heard some rumors it could be because of the nw update coming along, no idea if this is actualy true.

greetz
Q-BRT|=
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6585|Kent, UK
Is it not just BF2 but all online games?
Do you have vista?

IF you answered yes to these questions, send me a PM because I think I know your problem.
Soarer19
+1|5678
yeah Vista accesses the hard drive a lot which could possibly cause lag in game.
---=[4lexDK]=---
+0|5671|Århus, Denmark
I have XP trying your things
=|Q-BRT|=
+6|6813|[GER]_BERLIN
nope, got Xp

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard