johnny
+0|6780
First off just want to say hi, my first post so go easy on the noob! Sorry if this was brought up before but I searched the forums as much as I could and found no mention of this yet.

Sargeant Major of the Corps states in UBAR that you must have 250,000 global score. But 2nd lieutenant requires 200,000 global score? How can 2nd lieutenant be a higher rank with a smaller requirement than a rank below it?

Could it be DICE just neglected to take out the Sargeant Major of the Corps rank in the latest patch?

Also, the updated UBAR reqs say Navy Cross and it's corresponding medals (scimitar etc) state you must have 4500 hrs but some people as you may know, before the patch got those medals way before hitting that time requirement. Is it possible DICE changed those requirments for those medals and then changed them back?

Thanks

-Johnny
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6848|Australia
You must be drunk.... or just silly
Sargent major is shown as a lower rank according to ubar but if you can read you will see that only 1 person can have it? so basically 2nd leiu should proberly be before this one but i guess whoever updated it got lazy and just added it on the end.

http://ubar.bf2s.com/ranks.php have a closer look

as for the medals anythings possible but i have no answer for that.
johnny
+0|6780
Well if I'm drunk then you are stoned.

How can 2nd lieutenant, an officer rank, be lower than sargeant major of the corps, an enlisted rank? That has got to be an error on DICE's part.

http://www.military-quotes.com/ranks/marine-rank-insignia.htm
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

I imagine that this *is* some kind of foul up on EA's part. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but that's the numbers.

I am fairly certain that the ranks will be expanded in the near future. Either around the time of the expansion release or sooner at which point a lot of this will be cleared up.
[7E]ToJo
+0|6849|Indiana
For your info...

All the way upto but not including generals have to salute a SMOC because they outrank the officer. The page you reference just groups the ranks and doesn't show any military order of rank except in those groupings.

http://www.usma.edu/Protocol/images/pre … _notes.pdf
johnny
+0|6780
Well I'm not a military man so I'm not going to say you're wrong, but the link you provided did not state SMOC outrank officers except generals. Not to mention it was a pdf for the Army, the Marines fall under the department of the Navy. Could you provide a better source for what we're talking about? You know, something that's actually relevant to what we're discussing?
[7E]ToJo
+0|6849|Indiana
5. The Director of the Army Staff, Sergeant Major of the Army, and other service equivalents: Within the Army, the DAS and SMA are accorded special status. In the NCR (Non Commisioned Ranks), the DAS and SMA have precedence over all other LTGs (Lieutenant Generals), and outside the NCR, the DAS is ranked with LTGs while the SMA may be positioned after the senior general officer present. Former Service Senior Enlisted Advisors are ranked immediately following the currently serving Service Senior Enlisted Advisors at Army exclusive events ONLY. Former Service Senior Enlisted Advisors should be placed in front of other retired members of the same grade (E-9) at Multi or Joint service events.
I will search for the navy version later but I do not know why you would think the SMOC would be rated under Lt's while the SMOA would be positioned after the senior general officer present. I do not know positively that they are ranked the same but I would definately bet money they are very similar!
johnny
+0|6780
I didn't say they weren't, I just said give us a better source that's relevant to our discussion. But why would you go from a 2nd Lt., an officer, then the next rank you could get would be Sargeant major, an enlisted rank?
[7E]ToJo
+0|6849|Indiana
SMOC will probably be replaced with 5-Star General in my best guess. 5-Star being the top rank that only one holds and rotates each month.
dr4gonman
+0|6809
Alright let me clear this up.  IRL butter bars are less than an E8 in the grand scheme of things.  A major commanding a battalion would more happily sacrifice a squad/platton O1 before he would risk a command NCO.  BF2 now has 3 E9 Ranks which all require differing levels of points/badges according to UBAR.  In all honesty, I would expect a 2nd looey to take less than the Sergeant Major of the Corps since that is (only a Marine could verify this and I'm not one) the highest enlisted rank there is in the Corp and a 2nd Lieutenant is the very first Commissioned rank.  They should actually introduce the 2nd Lieutenant rank around the E6(Gunnery)-E7(Master) area.  Some combination of badges and/or medals/ribbons.  The Captain (O3) point requirement should be a tad more than the Master Gunny and the
2nd Lt. should chime in as optional rank around 30-35K.  What if I don't want to be a commissioned officer.  Shit, E9s command more respect and authority than most O4s (Capt.)  So since I have this class prejudice I should stop playing, or stop playing on ranked servers?  Oh wait, sure, that's what they have in mind.  Since if I'm prefectly happy to plug along earning medals/badges/rank in this game what would possibly entice me to hand them another $50?  An expansion pack with actual "Modern" helicopters (Apache, Commanche even if the Corp doesn't fly those models or the F15 for that matter) in it?  Hell no, I wouldn't buy that.  I want to keep flying this retrofitted cobra with it's weak ass excuse for a chain/gattling gun.

Oh and by the way and don't quote me on this but I don't know that the Marines even has a 4 star General.  Nevermind, the good General Hagee would probably be less than pleased that he isn't a 4 Star General after over 30 years service.

SMOC will eventually be replaced with Commandant of the Marine Corp.  He's the Highest a Marine can get.  But they may not use that for political reasons.

At any rate, this ex-zoomie thinks they still have some tweaking to do with the rank system among other things.

Last edited by dr4gonman (2005-10-05 17:24:41)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I suppose newly instated officers in BF2 will be bumped back into enlisted ranks once they get that 250,000 global score. I rub my hands in glee as I picture lieutenants beating eachother up to trump the (future) current SgtMajMC. Thank god DICE didn't add to the confusion with Warrant Officer ranks...

Also, as far as oddball DICE errors go, I thought the Marine MGySgt thingimabob between the chevrons was supposed to look more like an explosive radish than a perfect sphere.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2005-10-26 03:13:05)

ChiefCrash
Spawns in front of rockets and bullets
+4|6744
As far as Marines go, here's how I was taught by my Drill Instructor:

The SMOC is the representative of all enlisted men and women in the corps.  He reports directly to the CMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps).  And like the CMC, it'd be a cold day in hell before you ever saw them on the front lines...

Respect-wise, the SMOC is over just about anyone without a star.  But he's still gotta salute the greenest of butter bars.

Any officer, including warrant officers, OUTRANK the SMOC.  But they make it a point NOT to piss off the SMOC 'cause he's got the CMC's ear.  E is lower than O, no matter how you slice it....

As for in-game rank structure, don't look at me.  I'm just saying how it is in real life.

[7E]ToJo wrote:

For your info...

All the way upto but not including generals have to salute a SMOC because they outrank the officer. The page you reference just groups the ranks and doesn't show any military order of rank except in those groupings.

You might be thinking of MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIANTS.  Anyone and EVERYONE in a uniform has to salute a MOH winner.  The CMC will salute a private if he sees white stars on a blue field....
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6746|I'm worldwide, beotch

[7E]ToJo wrote:

For your info...

Are you kidding? I have to salute the enlisted now? I did not know that.

Actually, I have a better idea. Next time the MCPON (senior enlisted sailor in the Navy) hops aboard my ship, I'll tell him to walk over to the ship's most junior officer, salute him, and get him a cup of coffee. O > E, always and forever.

Like you, it is obvious that EA had no clue what they were talking about. I'm sure they'll fix it soon.
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6751|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL

Aegis wrote:

Next time the MCPON (senior enlisted sailor in the Navy) hops aboard my ship, I'll tell him to walk over to the ship's most junior officer, salute him, and get him a cup of coffee. O > E, always and forever.
What, you don't like the most junior officer?! I've seen SMoA tear a light colonel a new asshole for that type of crap...may be enlisted, but don't push it...
dobbs
Pawtucket Patriot
+0|6752|Cohog, RI
Ok active military here, the pdf file ToJo attached is a protocol policy. 

5. The Director of the Army Staff, Sergeant Major of the Army, and other service equivalents: Within the Army, the DAS and SMA are accorded special status. In the NCR (Non Commisioned Ranks), the DAS and SMA have precedence over all other LTGs (Lieutenant Generals), and outside the NCR, the DAS is ranked with LTGs while the <b>SMA may be positioned after the senior general officer present.</b> Former Service Senior Enlisted Advisors are ranked immediately following the currently serving Service Senior Enlisted Advisors at Army exclusive events ONLY. Former Service Senior Enlisted Advisors should be placed in front of other retired members of the same grade (E-9) at Multi or Joint service events.

This is just talking about like ceremonies and such, a officer will NEVER salute an enlisted member with the exception of what chief crash said about the medal of honor.

Hey how come there is no medal of honor in the game?  Damn stat padders would get it right away i bet!
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6751|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
I was talking about getting the Ensign a cup o' joe...I'm pretty sure the MCPON wouldn't take it very well...I could be wrong...
ChiefCrash
+4|6744
you sure the MCPON wouldn't drink the coffee himself?  I know my Chief had fricken' carpel tunnel from his coffee mug...
ChiefCrash
+4|6744
You know what i noticed?  it'll let you go from MSTSGT to SGTMAJ.  I'm not sure the USMC does that.  I think once you're in a path (MSTSGT or 1STSGT) you stay in that path.

but if nothing else, all you need to be a SGTMAJ is Basic Armor Badge, Basic Transport Badge, Basic Helicopter Badge, Basic Aviator Badge, Basic Air Defense Badge, and Basic Ground Defense Badge?  all badges that's only requirement is sitting around for a while?  what about all those combat badges you need for 1stSgt?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard