vassili_zaitsev
+1|6624
Hi guys, I'm new to these forums, it seems like a good place for mature, constructive discussions on all things BF2.

Now, this post is gonna be pretty long, so you are forewarned...

OK, I've been sniping a lot recently and am slowly getting better with my technique, but one thing that I don't understand is why most of you fellow snipers insist on relocating after a few kills. I rarely relocate unless I'm spotted or if the enemy has been pushed back so far that the combat line is out of sight.

I'm now sometimes able to go whole rounds without dieing just by sniping in the one spot, and I'm getting at least 12 kills + numerous assists most rounds, so it's not like I'm in some secluded spot in the middle of nowhere either.

A sniper is best concealed in a prone, stationary state. Any movement will often give away your position.
Running around the fringes of battlefields looking for a new nest is often dangerous, especially if the enemy already has a rough idea of your location. A lot of my deaths when playing sniper is often getting shot while MOVING to my sniper nest. Usually once I'm settled in a location I get very few deaths.

With the UAV/satellite constantly scanning the battlefield, no sniper is every totally concealed. Plus there are commanders that just love spotting out the lone sniper and will keep tracking you no matter how far you relocate.

The way I prefer to play sniper is to find a 'killer' sniper nest where I can snipe the whole round without dieing while still being near enough to the action to get a decent amount of kills/assists.

Generally, such spots need most of the following attributes:
- Has good cover/concealment
- Has good line of sight towards a few flags/chokepoints/hotspots
- Is near obvious/popular sniper spots (what?!?! I hear you say? I'll explain later...)
- Has an escape route for emergencies
- Preferably protected from artillery, not always possible though...

Such spots are hard to come by, especially those with cover from artillery, but they do exist (especially on Kubra Dam, awesome sniping map). If not, sometimes you will just have to take the risk and hope the enemy commander doesn't arty you. Just create a local server and explore around. Be creative, you'll never know what cool spots you'll end up finding.

Now, you're probably wondering why I'm advising you to to snipe near obvious places. To divert the enemies attentions that's why! Any competent commander would be spotting you out sooner or later, and the enemies you killed will often want revenge, often spawning as a sniper themselves. 9 times out of 10, they will respawn at the flag closest to where they just died, run around a bit to where they think is safe (hehe) , go prone and look at your general direction, towards the obvious sniper spots. In order to properly scan with their scope they have to stay still, right? This is often their downfall, and your best chance to take them out and cause further frustration to an already frustrated soul.

If you are a good shot (as most serious snipers should be) you should be able to pull off headshots on prone/stationary targets easily, especially within 200m. The trick is to not let them look too long before taking them out. If you allow a sniper 10 seconds to slowly scan the obvious spots around you sooner or later he's gonna realise you're not actually there. So in order to minimise the risk of this happening you have to eliminate him pretty much as soon as they stop to scan the area.

I guess in conclusion there are many ways to snipe in BF2, there is certainly no 'proper' or 'correct' way IMO, I just never got into the habit of constant relocation because it just seems dangerous and risky running around in the open when you can stay put and get a few kills instead, provided your current location is good enough for the job.

Discuss.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6669
If you are taking fire, move.
They will not stop till your dead.
ShakaZuluKhan
+0|6715|Chicago

vassili_zaitsev wrote:

but one thing that I don't understand is why most of you fellow snipers insist on relocating after a few kills.
Because if you, as a sniper, kill me, I'm gonna be pretty pissed, and I'm going to work my way back to where you are, and make you wish you'd moved . You always, always move after a few kills. The smart ones will realize where you are and how much of a threat you pose and then proceed to hunt you down. That and the belief that they can flank around you and make you an easy kill. And if you haven't moved by then chances are, you are. Especially if it was another sniper that you killed. Theres no honor among thieves or snipers Best way to stay alive as a sniper? Know the map. Take a couple of kills from a spot, and move on to another one.

Last edited by ShakaZuluKhan (2006-03-06 20:13:56)

MPOutbrkr
+0|6834
Even better....move so you can kill the responce team........

You know you are getting to be a pain....and effective when the enemy commander wastes an arty strike on you and your spotter.
SmokyTreats
+0|6624
Ya if I am killed by the same sniper more then twice, I make it my personal mission to hunt him down
jimbo21
+11|6649
i am also a sit tight kind of sniper myself. i used to give myself away because there would always be someone i didn't see hanging around, but if i had stayed put he would have crossed paths with me and i would be the one seeing him first not the other way around. so now unless the spot i am in sucks or i get killed out of it, i sit "still"
  so why move when the getting is good, just shoot for the one shot kills and the enemy usally gets tired of dying and not having a chance and finds a new area to play his game in. it took me about 800 deaths to find out how to stay alive a better part of the game and that is to sit tight and shoot straight. now my kill #'s are over my death #'s (with the sniper rifle anyway).
Wicked89
+1|6687
Blah I only move when I've killed over 5 people by then you know that they're pissed and are looking for your ass.
jimbo21
+11|6649

ShakaZuluKhan wrote:

vassili_zaitsev wrote:

but one thing that I don't understand is why most of you fellow snipers insist on relocating after a few kills.
Because if you, as a sniper, kill me, I'm gonna be pretty pissed, and I'm going to work my way back to where you are, and make you wish you'd moved . You always, always move after a few kills. The smart ones will realize where you are and how much of a threat you pose and then proceed to hunt you down. That and the belief that they can flank around you and make you an easy kill. And if you haven't moved by then chances are, you are. Especially if it was another sniper that you killed. Theres no honor among thieves or snipers Best way to stay alive as a sniper? Know the map. Take a couple of kills from a spot, and move on to another one.
you do have to watch out for these guys though--
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6768|AUS, Canberra
i go to someplace and i dont relocate till im dead, it works as my k/d with sniper rifle is over 3.  most of the time you can work around being spotted. the only time i might move is if i kill someone a few times while they are trying to get me and ill move and ambush them on the way back to get me.

but you would be surprised how many people you kill and know where you are dont come back for you.
Ogopogo15
Mobile AA Whore
+1|6736|San Diego
Nope....I only relocate..when you see the dirt fly by you...and only when the flags are changing hands.
coldfyre99
+-2|6625
Basically it all depends on how smart the team is that you are playing against, if you have people that just wander out into the open wondering where the "thunder" is coming from, hell man, go nuts.  But on the other hand, if you find some people that get an ass full of you really fast, time to haul it to another spot.
playingwithtards
+0|6776
oh man do i love it when im sniping and im out in the middle of no where sniping like crazy and i get an arty on my head.  it is such a compliment on a 64 person server when the commander notices im killing so effectively that he hits me instead of the largest squads of people.

i personally like to snipe in low areas in fields and then when i know ive been spotted after my kill, dropping claymores and leaving. its like a present when i see random kills pop up on my screen later.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6644|Peoria
I always drop arty on snipers when i'm commander. If there is no real need for it, why not use it to squash them.
TigrisJK
+3|6723
I have a few threads on sniping.... look them up if you like. The biggest threat, I find, that you face if you don't relocate, are people who hunt you specifically. Though that can be nice, depending on your spot... I've acheived 22 kill streaks from people hunting me and failing miserably by sitting in one position.

However, the problem is, any good commander will drop arty on you if you're causing enough damage to his team. And relocation can save you from having to deal with a coordinated assault on your position. One sniper won't be able to take out five guys at a time if they're really working together on it.
bearded_khazak
+0|6624
Yeah, I tend to get happy when i'm killing people and defending a flag. I get so happy I don't move and they come and actually get revenge on me.

Eventually I'll learn to relocate - I'm still technically a "noob." How I hate that word...
Rathji
+1|6680
There are some spots that snipers sit to kill a large range of people. I find my best rounds are when I position myself so the people who gravitate to these positions are often not concerned at all with fire coming from my direction. Typical 10+ kills per death if you can find one of these spots that works with the current flag configuration. This won't always happen, but when it does I would not consider moving for anything untill one of them gets a clue and puts enough bullets in me to kill me.

For example, one map today on Ghost town. I was on a building and the instant I got up there I was nailed with a m95, I got under cover from the shooter and proceeded to kill 17 people without getting hit again.

The number 1 thing to remember when playing against a random bunch of players is THEY ARE LEMMINGS. They will keep doing whatever it is they normally do, assuming they are getting shot from a typical place or running down the same corridor into your sniper fire or claymore. Not all of them though, but enough that you should assume this will be the case unless they prove otherwise.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6624

Rathji wrote:

There are some spots that snipers sit to kill a large range of people. I find my best rounds are when I position myself so the people who gravitate to these positions are often not concerned at all with fire coming from my direction.
Yup, damn right. Only thing is when they are facing directly away from you, it makes it a little harder to hit the head, especially if they have a fat ass.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6749|Toronto, ON
A moving target is a living target.
Alpha as fuck.
Torin
+52|6689
Relocating serves a couple good purposes..

1) Protects you from counter-snipers. Any good sniper is going to kill you in 1 shot anyways, especially if you are prone and not moving. Once he figures out your location, you are as good as dead. You move frequently to avoid this from happening. The longer you stay in 1 spot, the more likely this situation is to occur.

2) The action rarely stays in 1 place. Sure, you can stay in 1 hiding place, prone, all round long, but most likely you are going to be removed from the action at multiple points during the round. Moving guarantees that you can stay in the action and keep being effective. It's the difference between 12 kills in a row, and 30.
=|A mere Shadow|=
The Anarchist
+121|6623|Britain and Damn proud of it!
The best place i have found for sniping is the abandoned boat on Wake Island 2007 not many people realize you can actually get on it with a boat, so no-one looks for a sniper there ^_^ only problem is when you run out of ammo.... the only times i was killed there was by a team member with a knife <--- wtf?  and some guy who shot a anti-tank missile after i had killed him 5 times in a row xD naw i only move if there is a group of pissed off Americans coming towards me in a friggin APC....
.-=5TON3R=-.
+0|6720
ive started getting into sniping a lot lately & a trick i like to do is stay put till you think they might be coming for your ass,then before you move on to find a new snipe spot leave a clayemore or 2 behind where you think thier gonna be coming at you from lol obviously if your up on a rooftop they just try & snipe you back but if your up on a hill somewhere its pretty funny once you move on & have the "you killed whoever with claymore"message pop up from someone thats pissed at ya from sniping them & decided to hunt you down only to get killed again by the present you left behind.
lamah
+-1|6667
ask yourself a couple of questions:

how confident are you to stay there without getting killed?

are the rest of your team advancing?  maybe you should join them and cover them?

personally, i like to be in a location where there is a lot of traffic (of course, your deaths will probably increase too), and that definitely requires lot of relocating.
Tushers
Noctwisaskfirtush
+224|6682|Some where huntin in Wisconsin
One of the best sniping maps (I think) is kabra Dam, it has some Unique spots and then your same old bland spots.  I am more of a conventional sniper, i only move if i am being shot at or the battlefield has change.  Ithink on of the best places to snipe is the top of the dam. if your USMC go to the top and if you look to your sides you see plywood with bars holding it up.  jump onto the ledge (very tricky DON'T Fall) and go to the other side of the play wood and you can see the MEC air stripe. you need your view distance at full 100%.  These shots can be tricky they are a ways away.  i think when i found that spot i went 24-0 and then someone drop clays behide me and left (didn't notice) went to go get ammo and boom i died.  i got a sh*t load of kill assits (snipers usaly hate them)  Ifyou are going to use this tactic here are some tips
-If you want kills wait till they're waiting or standing still
-Don't be in a squad (usally your squad Will get mad at you and yell at you for not being a team Player I no)
- if your in a sqaud have your Friend or whom ever be a sniper
-if your sniping with  a team use the VOIP or what ever its nice to have teamwork
-Take turns taking the first shot lets say i shoot first and hit him, then my buddy finishes him  Good tactic if your not greedy
-use the means of priority, Don't shoot for and enginner in the middle of nowhere if hes with a medic take out the medicthen he can't revive his little friend
-heres my priority list
     -Medic
     -Sniper
     -support
     -Spec-Ops
     -Assult
     -AT
     -Engineer

I hope you gained somthing from this if not no biggy,  see you on the battlefield
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6741|St. Paul, MN
If your sniping post gets you more than ten kills without attracting any sort of response from enemies, chances are you have a pretty safe spot and should stay there. tops of buildings, while great vantage points, usually offer poor concealment so move after a short while. choose bushes, rubble, and other dark objects that you can blend in with. try to avoid objects that stand out from their surroundings, like dark bushes in the middle of a white desert.
my all time favorite sniping post is the apc wreak at the entrance to Karkand. it has this metal plate that sticks up so you can just barely be seen, and it blends perfectly with ghile. commanders even have trouble seeing me sometimes.
LivelyToaster
+60|6717|Sacto, CA
Sniper is by far my favorite kit and there are some reasons why relocating is important

1) if you a) shoot a sniper who's looking at you (definantly time to move) or b) if you keep killing people in the same spot over and over again, it's probably time to relocate. It won't take long for people to get pissed off and start hunting you down.

2) if there's no one around to shoot, it's time to relocate. Your wasting time "waiting" for the target. Get up and look for one instead. You'll be much more usefull

3) if your health suddenly goes from full down to two glowing red bars, it's time to relocate.

4) when arty shells are blowing up around you, it means you've pissed off their commander and now it's really time to move

Also some more advice for the newer (not that im the best or anything) snipers, don't sit in obivious spots like  the cranes. I know that everyone likes the cranes because you can see really far, but everyone knows that the crane is everyones favorite spot to hide. The first thing i check when i get sniped, is the noob places like the cranes and the very tip tops of buildings.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard