xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California

Bell wrote:

There are plenty people who consider themself christians but dont go to church.
Just because someone goes to church 5 times a week doesn't mean shit. All that means is that they've severely bought into the church's bullshit. You don't have to be at a bank to save money. You don't have to be at a restaurant to eat. You don't have to go to the beach to swim. You don't have to go to Church to be "religious" or pray. In fact, I see it as the complete opposite. Wasting time in a church is pointless. If you want to follow the virtues of religion, as you should be, go out into the world and help kids, families in need yourself, children without families, the unfortunately homeless, but most certainly not spreading and suppressing your religion upon others.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Bell wrote:

There are plenty people who consider themself christians but dont go to church.
Just because someone goes to church 5 times a week doesn't mean shit. All that means is that they've severely bought into the church's bullshit. You don't have to be at a bank to save money. You don't have to be at a restaurant to eat. You don't have to go to the beach to swim. You don't have to go to Church to be "religious" or pray. In fact, I see it as the complete opposite. Wasting time in a church is pointless. If you want to follow the virtues of religion, as you should be, go out into the world and help kids, families in need yourself, children without families, the unfortunately homeless, but most certainly not spreading and suppressing your religion upon others.
I think your confusing my point.  Jord aserted that people where being less and less taken in by it and gave the droping attendance of churches as an example (something echoed by Hitchens).  And I said it didnt mean much. 

And where did I say I was part of the religion?

Last edited by Bell (2008-08-18 15:01:56)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

I don't understand. How do you think every religious person automatically became a mindless machine of all faith and no reason when they join a religion (in this case, Christianity)?
Because most religions ask you to accept certain things as absolute truth without any physical evidence whatsoever - just the potentially corrupted and mistranslated words of ancient texts. Such a thing could arguably be considered the epitome of mindless faith and no reason. Imagine religion were in a court of law defending itself...it would get life without chance of parole.

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Couldnt be further from the truth. Rather than sacrificing intellect and reason, my reason supplements and undergirds the reason Im a Christian.  In fact, i could say that Postmodernism and Evolution has been drilled into the heads of school kids and they have been Brainwashed as a result. Creationism gets no say in schools, and whenever it or religion is brought up, the teachers automatically say, "Oh, thats Faith, not Science, so it's stupid to think about that, young man."
Science invites questioning and asks for proof, the politics of what gets taught in classes might be more complicated but it does not detract from the teachings of evolution (I don't see what postmodernism has to do with religion though to be honest) and learning about evolution could not be considered brainwashing because science always leaves the door open for new evidence. The same cannot be said for religion or intelligent design/creationism. I have yet to hear any convincing scientific evidence in support of creationism and as such I can understand the opinion that it has no place in a science class...if you'd like to give me some evidence to suggest that it should be taught as a scientific subject I am all ears.

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

It seems logical to me that Christianity could stand up to tests of logicalness and reason (in the veracity of the Bible, the resurrection, yada yada yada....theres plenty of books out there. In fact, right now im reading a book called "Faith and Reason" right now. Very informative and logical.
None of the major faith based elements of the bible have EVER stood up to scientific scrutiny, if they had we would all be praying diligently in church every Sunday. FAIL

Religion should stay in religion class with all the other fairy tales I'm afraid.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

I don't understand. How do you think every religious person automatically became a mindless machine of all faith and no reason when they join a religion (in this case, Christianity)?

Couldnt be further from the truth. Rather than sacrificing intellect and reason, my reason supplements and undergirds the reason Im a Christian.  In fact, i could say that Postmodernism and Evolution has been drilled into the heads of school kids and they have been Brainwashed as a result. Creationism gets no say in schools, and whenever it or religion is brought up, the teachers automatically say, "Oh, thats Faith, not Science, so it's stupid to think about that, young man."

It seems logical to me that Christianity could stand up to tests of logicalness and reason (in the veracity of the Bible, the resurrection, yada yada yada....theres plenty of books out there. In fact, right now im reading a book called "Faith and Reason" right now. Very informative and logical.

But back to the topic...you didnt answer my quote about Hitler, Stalin, and China. Lack of religion cant make a country "superior."

And you started the labels, btw .
1) No one ever said that. Again, stop fucking twisting and manipulating.
2) Evolution is essentially fact and has been proven time and time again. You may be too young to realize this but, in the real world, unsupported beliefs and thoughts are the kind of crap that gets you no where in life and could even get you fired from your job. It is very stupid to believe in something that makes no sense, is blind faith, is 100% unsupported, etc. Now there is a difference in that and not understanding Evolution; but to say it's flat out wrong and you're right is moronic and ignorant.
3) Of-fucking-course Christianity makes sense in the context of the Bible? Are you that...inelegantly inadequate?
4) We never said that in particular. Actually, you said that. We're disputing the fact you said that all these countries and their human rights are all a result of being atheistic, and it's not. Religion, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with political super-powers.
5) Please don't be so immature as to play the blame game. Maybe it's tolerable at your age, but not here.     

Bell wrote:

And where did I say I was part of the religion?
It may have come off wrong, I was meaning to agree with you. More or less build upon what you said. Hahahaha.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California

Braddock wrote:

None of the major faith based elements of the bible have EVER stood up to scientific scrutiny, if they had we would all be praying diligently in church every Sunday. FAIL

Religion should stay in religion class with all the other fairy tales I'm afraid.
Do you know what I love? How every single religious follower, mainly Christians, will try to point out any tiny little flaw in science even if their claim makes absolutely no sense yet, when asked about something to to with their religion they can not explain, they simply either attack science, atheism or say "It's god's plan". It's fucking bullshit.

Let me ask you something BOA, what makes you think your religion is above ANY OTHER religion or belief including atheism. What make's yours sooo fucking great?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Do you know what I love? How every single religious follower, mainly Christians, will try to point out any tiny little flaw in science even if their claim makes absolutely no sense yet, when asked about something to to with their religion they can not explain, they simply either attack science, atheism or say "It's god's plan". It's fucking bullshit.

Let me ask you something BOA, what makes you think your religion is above ANY OTHER religion or belief including atheism. What make's yours sooo fucking great?
It's hilarious, BigOrangeArmy seems to suggest in his previous posts that certain religious beliefs can stand up to scientific scrutiny (or at least to reasonable and logical scrutiny) when they just plain cannot.

I'll lay down the gauntlet for you BigOrangeArmy. I'd like you to explain to me how it can be proved in scientific terms that..

A. God exists.

B. Jesus was the son of God and was resurrected.

C. Intelligent design exists.

...because if we can get a bit of credible proof for these I might actually be onboard for the whole religion thing.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California

Braddock wrote:

I'll lay down the gauntlet for you BigOrangeArmy. I'd like you to explain to me how it can be proved in scientific terms that..

A. God exists.

...because if we can get a bit of credible proof for these I might actually be onboard for the whole religion thing.
I can tell you how he'll answer.

A. Because the Bible says so

B. God resurected him, the bible says so.

C. Because it's how it happened in the Bible
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

For a second there I thought that was his answer and I litterally face palmed
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Braddock wrote:

A. God exists.

I can tell you how he'll answer.

A. Because the Bible says so

B. God resurected him, the bible says so.

C. Because it's how it happened in the Bible
I'd be very surprised if he answers at all to be honest. I've found that many of the religious debaters on here (particularly those that advocate or lean towards creationism) often cut and run when it comes down to debating religion on logical and reasonable grounds rather than getting in the trenches and defending the beliefs that they supposedly hold so valuable.
BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|5988|Dallas

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

2) Evolution is essentially fact and has been proven time and time again. You may be too young to realize this but, in the real world, unsupported beliefs and thoughts are the kind of crap that gets you no where in life and could even get you fired from your job. It is very stupid to believe in something that makes no sense, is blind faith, is 100% unsupported, etc. Now there is a difference in that and not understanding Evolution; but to say it's flat out wrong and you're right is moronic and ignorant.
3) Of-fucking-course Christianity makes sense in the context of the Bible? Are you that...inelegantly inadequate?
4) We never said that in particular. Actually, you said that. We're disputing the fact you said that all these countries and their human rights are all a result of being atheistic, and it's not. Religion, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with political super-powers.
5) Please don't be so immature as to play the blame game. Maybe it's tolerable at your age, but not here.
1). Thats odd, apparently Jord thinks so. Apparently my science teacher thinks so. Dont give me that, you know people bash Christianity for being reasonless.
2). Tell me, where did you hear that Evolution is fact? Wanna know some things that Evolution hasn't provided? Has evolution provided an answer to where all the matter came from? Whats the chemical equation for personality? Where are all the thousands of missing links that nobody likes to talk about? Why do we have a desire to worship something---everybody worships something, be it money, sex, or their family. Have you seen how complex DNA is? Billions upon billions of tiny parts, billions and billions of them that govern your body with ruthless efficiency. Its a work of art. It seems more logical to believe someone made it than for it to magically come together in the cataclysmic span of time evolution says. Show me where it is proven that Creationism is wrong. And its not that Christianity isnt logical, people are lazy and don't actually read Christian arguments---not from some megaStar like Rick Warren, who is not an example of biblical Christianity.
3). So you're saying that because I believe in a reliable and true Bible that that automatically screws my attempts at making logical decisions about if Christianity or Atheism is correct? I could say the same thing about you
4). What about the Muslims in Iran and Afghanistan? Religion plays a huge role in affairs. Its called Sharia, and its what is getting American Soldiers killed. They say that if the Muslim kills the Infidel, they will go straight to paradise. Religion has tons to do with those countries, superpowers or not.
5.)Please, dont pull the "little kid" card on me. It just shows how arrogant and closeminded you are, not to consider other opinions without dismissing them immediatelly.

Obviously this topic is filled with biased people who jump to bash Christianity whenever they smell it. If you want to see if Christianity is reliable and has truth in it, read a Christian book that explains it. Try "Faith and Reason" by Ronald Nash, "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell, and "Darwins Black Box" by Michael Behe. Its too big a subject to write about on a forums, so try that. Do you really think one person can present an entire argument about an entire religion in one thread? Its more complicated then that. At least consider the evidence in those books, even though you hate Christianity. That would fair, amirite?

Apparently Im totally brainwashed, so I guess im beyond help. If Christianity isnt true, then theres no meaningful meaning to life, so i might as well pick up my gun, shoot my family, and do myself in. Thanks...

/thread.

Last edited by BigOrangeArmy (2008-08-18 15:54:15)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6354|Vancouver

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

1). Thats odd, apparently Jord thinks so. Apparently my science teacher thinks so. Dont give me that, you know people bash Christianity for being reasonless.
2). Tell me, where did you hear that Evolution is fact? Wanna know some things that Evolution hasn't provided? Has evolution provided an answer to where all the matter came from? Whats the chemical equation for personality? Where are all the thousands of missing links that nobody likes to talk about? Why do we have a desire to worship something---everybody worships something, be it money, sex, or their family. Have you seen how complex DNA is? Billions upon billions of tiny parts, billions and billions of them that govern your body with ruthless efficiency. Its a work of art. It seems more logical to believe someone made it than for it to magically come together in the cataclysmic span of time evolution says. Show me where it is proven that Creationism is wrong. And its not that Christianity isnt logical, people are lazy and don't actually read Christian arguments---not from some megaStar like Rick Warren, who is not an example of biblical Christianity.
3). So you're saying that because I believe in a reliable and true Bible that that automatically screws my attempts at making logical decisions about if Christianity or Atheism is correct? I could say the same thing about you
4). What about the Muslims in Iran and Afghanistan? Religion plays a huge role in affairs. Its called Sharia, and its what is getting American Soldiers killed. They say that if the Muslim kills the Infidel, they will go straight to paradise. Religion has tons to do with those countries, superpowers or not.
5.)Please, dont pull the "little kid" card on me. It just shows how arrogant and closeminded you are, not to consider other opinions without dismissing them immediatelly.

Obviously this topic is filled with biased people who jump to bash Christianity whenever they smell it. Apparently Im totally brainwashed, so I guess im beyond help.

/thread.
Obviously, you don't understand neither what evolution nor a scientific theory is. To save me from intensive writing, Wikipedia is your friend! To make it clear, however, a scientific theory is a logical explanation of scientific observations that relies on facts. It is true, until new information is discovered, whereupon the former theory is either discarded or reworked.

Neither do you seem to understand that ignorance is not a proponent for the argument for the existence of god. If we do not know, it does not mean that religion is correct; it only means that we do not know.

Christianity is certainly not logical. You can attempt to pretend that people are "lazy and don't actually read Christian arguments", but you are only lying to yourself.

Lastly, despite all attempts to use language in a method to attack your detractors, such as calling them "biased" when you are as easily biased, only makes you the fool.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California

xBlackPantherx wrote:

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Obviously this topic is filled with biased people who jump to bash Christianity whenever they smell it. Apparently Im totally brainwashed, so I guess im beyond help.

/thread.
1) Wow, try reading what I say. I never said people don't think that, I just said no one actually said it and you more or less brought it up and assumed it.

2) Again, READ. I said essentially fact. It's technically still a theory but it has gotten to the point of being highly Indesputable as if it were fact. There is no definitive time/place where matter came from. If you actually knew wtf you were talking about you would know time goes infinitely in both directions. You can't put an equation on something that varies with every single person born. We're human you dumbass, not some mathematical equation. There are a couple general missing links that we can't find because the processes of the Earth and the rarity of the conditions needed for form a fossil have yet to have been acquired for these previous species and may never be. Again, know what the fk you are talking about. Our need to worship something relates all the way back to ancient Egypt belief and Greek/Roman mythology, to fill what we don't know with any kind of explanation. Again, know what the fk you are talking about. Wow, yes, of course I know how complex DNA is you dumbass. 75% of the world does, or at least has some clue. What you don't get is that every single cell in your body has the EXACT same DNA. The only difference is that certain parts of that DNA is used and others aren't depending on the procedure it needs to carry out. In fact, science has almost entirely cracked the human genome and has already with many many domesticated animals. How could you not believe that out of tens of millions of billions of an infinite number of stars and planets and over tens of billions of trillions of years that something like this couldn't happen. It has to be something that some guy thought up in his mind and the followers didn't follow right. Creationism IS wrong as PROVEN by evolution and the same effing DNA you talked about. Again, know what the fk you are talking about. Christianity IS illogical. Even the Bible is incredibly contradicting within itself.

3) Ummm, what?? The Bible is NOT true and is NOT reliable. I do believe it's true up to the fact that Jesus existed, that's about it.

4)n You pretty much supported everyone against you by saying that because of religion, thousands upon thousands have died in this war alone. Thanks buddy. You saved me some effort.

5) Well, to be fair you are acting and speaking like a little kid. I am insanely open minded and respect any belief you have, I'm just showing you mine. Don't even fucking say I'm dismissing it immediately. Have we not been here for hours shutting down every thing you say? Again, know what the fk you are talking about.

The people in this topic are all unbiased. We're throwing fact after fact at you and you dispute it with the "It's God's Plan" crap. You are brainwashed. And AGAIN, stop being so fucking contradicting, hypocritical, and immature. Please.
Listen to this guy:

Obviously, you don't understand neither what evolution nor a scientific theory is. To save me from intensive writing, Wikipedia is your friend! To make it clear, however, a scientific theory is a logical explanation of scientific observations that relies on facts. It is true, until new information is discovered, whereupon the former theory is either discarded or reworked.

Neither do you seem to understand that ignorance is not a proponent for the argument for the existence of god. If we do not know, it does not mean that religion is correct; it only means that we do not know.

Christianity is certainly not logical. You can attempt to pretend that people are "lazy and don't actually read Christian arguments", but you are only lying to yourself.

Lastly, despite all attempts to use language in a method to attack your detractors, such as calling them "biased" when you are as easily biased, only makes you the fool.
I'm probably going to be done responding here because you are obviously too hypocritical, immature, ignorant, close-minded, narrow minded, tunneled vision, biased, unsupported, hostile to be dealt with in a sensible manner. I do realize I pretty much just put up 4 words that all mean you're ignorant, but that's a point I can't stress enough. I respect your beliefs and if you want to waste your life looking like a dumbass as you have here, then be my guest.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

/thread.
/thread my arse. This post is filled with more rubbish than your previous posts...

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Thats odd, apparently Jord thinks so. Apparently my science teacher thinks so. Dont give me that, you know people bash Christianity for being reasonless.
Care to provide some reasonable answers to the questions I posed to you earlier in the thread?

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Tell me, where did you hear that Evolution is fact? Wanna know some things that Evolution hasn't provided? Has evolution provided an answer to where all the matter came from?
Evolution doesn't deal with where the matter came from in the first place, I think you are confusing it with big bang theory. Evolution has been observed in many species around the world, there is a mountain of observational evidence supporting it and as I have said before it is a branch of science and science leaves the door open for any fresh evidence that might come to light...unfortunately for creationism it has never been able to come up with any credible evidence to warrant it being revised.

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Why do we have a desire to worship something---everybody worships something, be it money, sex, or their family.
Utter nonsense. I enjoy sex and like having money but I don't worship them, I don't worship anything, your point is based entirely on your own opinion. Humans have a tendency to make sense of things even if they are completely random and some less enlightened and less critical thinkers are happy to put things down to an unseen Godlike figure, it doesn't mean they're right.

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Have you seen how complex DNA is? Billions upon billions of tiny parts, billions and billions of them that govern your body with ruthless efficiency. Its a work of art. It seems more logical to believe someone made it than for it to magically come together in the cataclysmic span of time evolution says.
Absolutely laughable. Are you actually claiming that it is more logical to believe that someone created everything? Well then can I ask who created the creator and what actual proof is there to back up any part of this claim?

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Show me where it is proven that Creationism is wrong. And its not that Christianity isnt logical, people are lazy and don't actually read Christian arguments---not from some megaStar like Rick Warren, who is not an example of biblical Christianity.
Dinosaurs. Explain.

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

So you're saying that because I believe in a reliable and true Bible that that automatically screws my attempts at making logical decisions about if Christianity or Atheism is correct? I could say the same thing about you hmm
Reliable and true according to who? What logical and reasonable evidence can you put forward to back up your claim that the bible is reliable and true?

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

What about the Muslims in Iran and Afghanistan? Religion plays a huge role in affairs. Its called Sharia, and its what is getting American Soldiers killed. They say that if the Muslim kills the Infidel, they will go straight to paradise. Religion has tons to do with those countries, superpowers or not.
Making assumptions about the Qu'ran now? There are many interpretations regarding the violent segments of the Qu'ran and regardless of this fact many people are killing Americans simply because they are viewed as invaders, it is purely territorial for many insurgents. It would be like claiming all members of the IRA carried out missions in the name of Catholicism. Your argument is also self destructive on this point, the Sharia states, if anything, are proof of the negative effect religion has on the running of countries.

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

It just shows how arrogant and closeminded you are, not to consider other opinions without dismissing them immediatelly.
I have never dismissed anyone's argument without listening to it...I have just never heard any credible evidence to back up creationism. I have also never been offered any evidence of the existence of God that would stand up to scientific scrutiny.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California
/thread Apparently

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2008-08-18 19:25:04)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard