Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6461

Poseidon wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Religious fanatics and bigots in America are causing problems for stem-cell research, yes indeed... but that's your problem. 21st century America-- do people bother reading the original post?
Yes. The huge majority of the disputers on stem-cell research are right-wing republican Christians.
Unfortunately, yeah.

What I never understood was how right wing christians were such supporters of war and "killin dem mooslems", but when it came to abortions/stem cell research, they're completely against it.

I don't think "pro-life" is a very appropriate term for right wing Christians who are also warhawks.
You should watch the George Carlin skit about pro-lifers and abortionists, it touches upon the same sentiment and hypocrisy .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Yes. The huge majority of the disputers on stem-cell research are right-wing republican Christians.
Unfortunately, yeah.

What I never understood was how right wing christians were such supporters of war and "killin dem mooslems", but when it came to abortions/stem cell research, they're completely against it.

I don't think "pro-life" is a very appropriate term for right wing Christians who are also warhawks.
You should watch the George Carlin skit about pro-lifers and abortionists, it touches upon the same sentiment and hypocrisy .
why the fuck did you remind of George Carlin

fucking hell

D:

I think I've seen one of them, not sure. Was a while ago.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6539|UK

God bless you

weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6155|California
Religion in itself has little to do with lack of scientific progression, instead it is the leaders who refuse to accept what they don't understand and would rather accept the ideas that they were taught since birth.  Hell, even scientists act in the same manner.  Einstein refused to believe in Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle based solely on the purpose that he had been taught that everything in the universe was predictable, but with the introduction with the Uncertainty Principle, that belief was essentially proven to be incorrect.  So don't start blaming religion itself, blame human nature that inhibits us the ability to accept a different truth than that which we are used to.

Also, humanity has had many set backs that were not caused by religion.  Anyone ever heard of the Library of Alexandria?  Yeah, apparently it contained works of mathematics and sciences which for reason unknown it was destroyed with several thousand works.  Who knows what modern "scientific" discoveries could have existed in said library.  It's always a possibility.

And just for the record I am neither advocating theism or atheism, I'm just making a point about setbacks made by human nature.
BVC
+325|6686
Many people said "no" to those guys.  They got killed.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6333|California
My views don't have anything to do with the fact I'm American. Just in my mind, I have a shorter perception of what qualifies as 'ancient'. There's no real definitive line, but I would consider 800 years to be ancient. I guess when any general way of life of a certain era is no longer a way of life, then its now history, and 'ancient'. For example, the middle ages way of life, the renaissance way of life, would be considered ancient by me. Not an old ancient, but it did happen an ancient time ago; relatively anyways. I wouldn't necessarily say that anything history, as defined by a textbook, would be ancient though.

I guess I'm techinically wrong tho

1.    of or in time long past, esp. before the end of the Western Roman Empire a.d. 476: ancient history.
2.    dating from a remote period; of great age: ancient rocks; ancient trees.
3.    very old; aged: an ancient folk tale.
4.    being old in wisdom and experience; venerable.
5.    old-fashioned or antique.
–noun
6.    a person who lived in ancient times.
7.    one of the classical writers of antiquity.
8.    a very old or aged person, esp. if venerable or patriarchal.
9.    ancients,
a.    the civilized peoples, nations, or cultures of antiquity, as the Greeks, Romans, Hebrews, and Egyptians (usually prec. by the).
b.    the writers, artists, and philosophers of ancient times, esp. those of Greece and Rome.

Poseidon wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Religious fanatics and bigots in America are causing problems for stem-cell research, yes indeed... but that's your problem. 21st century America-- do people bother reading the original post?
Unfortunately, yeah.

Thanks for the hypocrisy right-wing christian republicans...I thought we might run out sometime soon...
Smithereener
+138|6306|California
Humans fight over the most insignificant things, from religion and ideology to whoever stole the last cookie out of the cookie jar. Would some wars have been avoided had religion never existed or never took root in the foundations of society? Undoubtedly yes (the Crusades comes to mind). But would other wars over other issues have taken their place? I'd like to say no, but I highly doubt it happening. As lame as it sounds, South Park pretty much nailed my vision of a religion-less world right on the head. Religion in itself isn't anything to hate or belittle, it helps people get through tough times, cope with the stresses of daily life, and sometimes with the uncertainty of death. People just have different ways of handling different things. Organized religion, hell, organized anything, is the root cause IMO; Flocking under a banner of an ideology, country, way of life, or belief has been the cause of most wars hasn't it?

I won't say that religion hasn't impeded the progression of scientific knowledge in many ways (and like Poseidon pointed out, continues to do so), Galileo was right all along but it took the Catholic Church over 100 years (I believe) to finally concede that he was right. Yet, I can't exactly say that religion hasn't helped it along in some ways. Take exploration for example. Yes, a lot of it happened to look for shorter routes to spices, precious metals, and other worldy goods, but another catalyst for the surge of exploration during the Age of Discovery was to find new people to convert to one's own religion. You can't deny that in doing so, we've made some accidental discoveries with religion as an impetus that expanded our knowledge of the world around us. (Yes, it's only one example, but I can't be arsed right now to think of more. I'm pretty sure there's more I hope so)

Ultimately, I believe in at least one thing about humanity: We always take a step forward towards progress, only to fall on our face and piss our pants.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6435|The Land of Scott Walker
Yet another "religion cause all our problems" thread.  zzzzzzzzzzzz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6395|North Carolina

Pubic wrote:

pretty much...
David.P
Banned
+649|6264

Turquoise wrote:

Pubic wrote:

pretty much...
What if many many more said no? Fuck! It's times like this I wish had a time machine! I would love to humiliate muhammed at the height of his power. Or any religious figure at the height of their power! Do you guys know how good it feels to Completely and Utterly destroy someone's ego at it's height? When everyone around them is praising them? Fuck yeah it feels good man.
Defiance
+438|6661

So if religion didn't exist, the world would be perfect.

Bullshit. We're naturally pack animals and have coexisted with each other long before the bible or any commandments came around.

If we didn't have religion to scapegoat to, we'd find something else. "Hey guys, just imagine if rock music and GTA never got made, the world would be perfect..."

Edit: @David's post above mine.

So, you know that tons of people would have to say no yet you think with a time machine, you and your single being could change a thing or humiliate someone with that many followers. You'd get stabbed, many times.

And try not being so antisocial.

Last edited by Defiance (2008-08-17 21:48:01)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6663|Colorado
Yes in a perfect world there would be no religion & people would use thier minds instead of feelings. Aristotle is the true father of what the american mindset should be.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6395|North Carolina

David.P wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Pubic wrote:

pretty much...
What if many many more said no? Fuck! It's times like this I wish had a time machine! I would love to humiliate muhammed at the height of his power. Or any religious figure at the height of their power! Do you guys know how good it feels to Completely and Utterly destroy someone's ego at it's height? When everyone around them is praising them? Fuck yeah it feels good man.
I think you would enjoy working for TMZ.com.  They make a career out of humiliating celebrities.

As much as religion annoys me, I have to agree with the posters who have been pointing out that, even if religion didn't exist, we'd find new reasons to discriminate against each other and kill each other.  Resources tend to be the main reason we kill each other anyway.  Religion just provides a convenient moral justification for it.

And there is plenty of worship involved outside of religion.  Some people worship celebrities; others worship money.  The problem isn't specifically religion so much as it is that a large portion of humanity is sheep-like and needs something to worship or lead them in some way.  They'd rather not have to think things through on their own.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6675|United States of America
The place you seek is called Rapture, David.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6705|US
Your logic is flawed.  You present an "either-or" proposition that is false.  The world does not choose either religion or logic.  Proposing that rejecting all belief systems and overthrowing every government would somehow make the world a perfect and logical place is absurd.  The rejection of religion does not automatically bring logic.  Nor does the rejection of authority.

I believe Jesus died for my mistakes and I will have everlasting life in heaven because of his sacrifice.  Can I prove my belief in God?  No, that's why it's called "faith."  That I have faith does not mean I reject logic and science.  Yes, the leaders of the Roman-Catholic church did hinder science in the dark ages and middle ages.  Notice that most of their doctrine which resulted in shunning science was not founded in the Bible but in the teachings of those in power.  In fact, the Catholic church made rules that were in conflict with the teachings of Jesus...hence the Protestant Reformation and Catholic Counter-reformation.

David.P wrote:

Uh, yeah...so you like to put down others to make yourself feel good...real mature.

Note on the OP: People did say "no" to Jesus...that's why they killed him.  People also said "no" to every other major religion, which is why there are many religions.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6333|California

RAIMIUS wrote:

I believe Jesus died for my mistakes and I will have everlasting life in heaven because of his sacrifice.  Can I prove my belief in God?  No, that's why it's called "faith."  That I have faith does not mean I reject logic and science.  Yes, the leaders of the Roman-Catholic church did hinder science in the dark ages and middle ages.  Notice that most of their doctrine which resulted in shunning science was not founded in the Bible but in the teachings of those in power.  In fact, the Catholic church made rules that were in conflict with the teachings of Jesus...hence the Protestant Reformation and Catholic Counter-reformation.
You're 'faith' is incredibly flawed, not taught truely, and is very hypocritical. As I've said many many many times. Actually study the bible and your religion and forget every single thing you have been...dare I say it..."taught".

You will get that heaven and hell are not tangible entities. They are theoretical, figurative places meant to be seen as a state of mental being while you are dying knowing that you contributed significantly to the human society simply by following the moral teachings of Jesus and following his "father's" (figurative person used to set an example) doing's and examples he claimed to have set. I don't have any doubt Jesus existed and inspired many to follow high moral principles, but his magical qualities and the notion that evolved after he died that heaven, hell, and god are all literal I disbelieve and find it ignorant. Religion, in itself is an incredible thing, its simply the teachings and corruption that have gotten me off it.

EDIT: By "your faith" I mean your religion in general, not your belief personally.

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2008-08-17 22:58:45)

Smithereener
+138|6306|California

xBlackPantherx wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

You're 'faith' is incredibly flawed, not taught truely, and is very hypocritical. As I've said many many many times. Actually study the bible and your religion and forget every single thing you have been...dare I say it..."taught".

You will get that heaven and hell are not tangible entities. They are theoretical, figurative places meant to be seen as a state of mental being while you are dying knowing that you contributed significantly to the human society simply by following the moral teachings of Jesus and following his "father's" (figurative person used to set an example) doing's and examples he claimed to have set. I don't have any doubt Jesus existed and inspired many to follow high moral principles, but his magical qualities and the notion that evolved after he died that heaven, hell, and god are all literal I disbelieve and find it ignorant. Religion, in itself is an incredible thing, its simply the teachings and corruption that have gotten me off it.

EDIT: By "your faith" I mean your religion in general, not your belief personally.
In the end, isn't one's interpretation of a religion what faith is? Even if it's taught or self-realised, if someone has enough conviction to believe in something, regardless of whether its abstract or tangible, that's their faith and their reality. Simply stating that heaven and hell are meant to be one thing may correspond to your own beliefs, but to someone else heaven and hell probably mean something else. Doesn't mean they're right or wrong though.

I'm an atheist myself, but one of the things that drove me even further away from religion and church was that there were quite a few people who flat out said my own beliefs were wrong, that this particular religion/church was the road to salvation, and so on without giving a thought to what I believed in. I don't mind when someone believes something is true, even when I don't think it is; but it annoys me when people try to debunk other's set of beliefs by saying they're wrong, illogical, etc.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6333|California

Smithereener wrote:

In the end, isn't one's interpretation of a religion what faith is? Even if it's taught or self-realised, if someone has enough conviction to believe in something, regardless of whether its abstract or tangible, that's their faith and their reality. Simply stating that heaven and hell are meant to be one thing may correspond to your own beliefs, but to someone else heaven and hell probably mean something else. Doesn't mean they're right or wrong though.

I'm an atheist myself, but one of the things that drove me even further away from religion and church was that there were quite a few people who flat out said my own beliefs were wrong, that this particular religion/church was the road to salvation, and so on without giving a thought to what I believed in. I don't mind when someone believes something is true, even when I don't think it is; but it annoys me when people try to debunk other's set of beliefs by saying they're wrong, illogical, etc.
Well said. I try my hardest to not judge others by their beliefs, and I don't. I also try not to put my views on others and I don't think I do. Not usually anyways. That is another thing that turned me off and pushed me away in the insane narrow-mindedness of many many many religious people; even to people within their religion. I definitely respect others beliefs but I hate it when people say Atheism isn't a belief or faith. Furthermore, when they say that it's based of of lies, no supported facts or statements, etc, etc.
Defiance
+438|6661

TrollmeaT wrote:

Yes in a perfect world there would be no religion & people would use thier minds instead of feelings. Aristotle is the true father of what the american mindset should be.
Sure, a perfect world means no religion, but removing religion does not mean the world will be perfect.

I don't get what you're trying to say by the Aristotle comment. What the American mindset should be? Sure, Americans should have that mindset then so should everyone else. You know, in the world. For a perfect world. World.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6333|California
Well said. But there is no such thing as a perfect world. Read the first part of the book "I don't believe in atheists" and you'll see why. The only thing scarier than a "Christian Supremacist" is an "Atheistic Utopian". They "...justify mass killing millions to billions via 'science and logic' in order to eradicate the 'inadequate' and the 'barbaric' for a 'logically and scientifically perfect utopia..."
Defiance
+438|6661

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Well said. But there is no such thing as a perfect world. Read the first part of the book "I don't believe in atheists" and you'll see why. The only thing scarier than a "Christian Supremacist" is an "Atheistic Utopian". They "...justify mass killing millions to billions via 'science and logic' in order to eradicate the 'inadequate' and the 'barbaric' for a 'logically and scientifically perfect utopia..."
Oh, if only there was a perfect world, but I understand perfectly it's a ridiculous ideal. As bad as religious extremists can be, atheist radicals are as bad as any. In that sense, atheism is as bad as any religion. The challenge is simple respecting other peoples beliefs and living with your own.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6352|Vancouver

Defiance wrote:

As bad as religious extremists can be, atheist radicals are as bad as any. In that sense, atheism is as bad as any religion.
I'm interested. How is atheism "bad as any religion"?
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6333|California

Drakef wrote:

Defiance wrote:

As bad as religious extremists can be, atheist radicals are as bad as any. In that sense, atheism is as bad as any religion.
Read my post.

Here:

me wrote:

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6352|Vancouver

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Drakef wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Read my post.

Here:

me wrote:

I must be missing it. What does a "logically and scientifically perfect utopia" have to do with atheism? How does atheism "justify mass killing millions to billions via 'science and logic'"? Are you really quoting from I Don't Believe in Atheists? You could do better.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6333|California

Drakef wrote:

I must be missing it. What does a "logically and scientifically perfect utopia" have to do with atheism? How does atheism "justify mass killing millions to billions via 'science and logic'"? Are you really quoting from I Don't Believe in Atheists? You could do better.
You are missing it. What part of the term "Atheistic Utopian" do you not understand?? The people that are defined by this term are a step beyond the ordinary atheist. They seek a perfect utopia where everyone is perfect and will eliminate millions upon millions who are 'inadequate' or 'barbaric', as defined by their views, through the means of 'science and logic'; science being mainly WMD's. I'll be straight with you. I plain don't get your last statement. I was quoting it, roughly anyways, just from what I remember accurately enough; if that's what you're asking??

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2008-08-18 02:23:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard