Poll

Who is going to see this?

I'm going to.28%28% - 6
Can't but wish I could.23%23% - 5
Not me.47%47% - 10
Total: 21
Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

I think everyone who can should. I can't see it, but I wish I could. Ask yourself (if you are an American), is the person I'm voting for acknowledging the problem and doing everything in their power to help solve it? Don't vote against your conscience. It may not convict you the next time.

Theater listings.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
That looks awesome...  It sort of reminds me of Maxed Out.   Great post..  +1
topal63
. . .
+533|6721
Do I really need to see - what I already know? No, but I might see it anyway, as it looks like a well made documentary film.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6587|Seattle
looks alright. i won't be surprised if it glosses over or completely leaves out a lot of critical information considering AMC theaters are screening it. judging by the trailer it will be super size me or michael moore style distortion. enough information to resonate with people's fears but not enough for people to actually point any fingers or get anything done. oh well, i'll see it anyway, it may be good.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6456|The Twilight Zone
I'm definitely going to see this! Thanks for posting! +1
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

Marinejuana wrote:

looks alright. i won't be surprised if it glosses over or completely leaves out a lot of critical information considering AMC theaters are screening it. judging by the trailer it will be super size me or michael moore style distortion. enough information to resonate with people's fears but not enough for people to actually point any fingers or get anything done. oh well, i'll see it anyway, it may be good.
I think the film will answer a lot mr. MJ, but I think the main point is that unless we act now, we are screwed. In fact I already think we are screwed, but I don't see any point in making a bleak future more bleak. Universal health care, welfare, social security, illegal immigration, the Iraq war, abortion, gay marriage etc. mean nothing if our country is going broke. It's like deciding what shirt to wear tomorrow, when tomorrow you are getting kicked out of your house because you have not paid your mortgage for 8 months. It gets people thinking critically.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6587|Seattle

Phrozenbot wrote:

Marinejuana wrote:

I think the film will answer a lot mr. MJ, but I think the main point is that unless we act now, we are screwed. In fact I already think we are screwed, but I don't see any point in making a bleak future more bleak. Universal health care, welfare, social security, illegal immigration, the Iraq war, abortion, gay marriage etc. mean nothing if our country is going broke. It's like deciding what shirt to wear tomorrow, when tomorrow you are getting kicked out of your house because you have not paid your mortgage for 8 months. It gets people thinking critically.
i agree.

"enough information to resonate with people's fears but not enough for people to actually point any fingers or get anything done."

for example, if this film doesnt assert that current monetary policy was forced on us, just like mexico and most of the world, by international bankers, then right there u see why this film made it past the big $ media filters. the worlds power brokers, the ones that own our banks, corporations and hollywood, WANT us to believe that our constitution, political system, and politicians, are miserable failures and they want us to cry out for some kind of change.

a film can be very close to the truth and yet accomplish very little for those that would watch it and take action. just look at anything by michael moore. do americans need soviet health care? or do they need FAIR PAY? the mere fact that this film is surviving in the pop documentary segment of the market should be a big red flag.

but like i said, i'll hope for the best and watch it, critically.
Turquoise
O Canada
Marine, by the sound of what you're saying, it sounds like just enjoying your life is a better thing to do than to worry so much about an elite group that would obviously have far too much power for you to affect.

Take the blue pill....

https://ecoharp.com/custom/evil-agent-smith.jpg
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
I hate Economics. I don't understand how the US can be in so much debt yet still be so rich.
Turquoise
O Canada
The main reason behind that is because people still value our assets.  Granted, that may not last much longer.  Foreign investment may take a dive very soon due to our falling currency and how long it takes for us to pay back our debts.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5977|England

looks like a fantastic and exciting film!

full of action, suspense and comedy
faggots
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6561|Hungary
Hell yeah! I allways said "America is a superpower right now...but the Roman Empire also collapsed" so nothing is forever.

America never suffered from from wars like Europe did. We are the old continent and when WW1 and WW2 took place the USA was far far away and it was able to grow, build its country without any problems.
topal63
. . .
+533|6721

Turquoise wrote:

The main reason behind that is because people still value our assets.  Granted, that may not last much longer.  Foreign investment may take a dive very soon due to our falling currency and how long it takes for us to pay back our debts.
I think - yes and no.

While I'll concede owning any type of asset purely for the sake of ownership (i.e. to own real estate and expect an equity-increase return) could be pointless and yield little or no return in a declining market. Owning business assets that produce an income stream will always be attractive - especially if businesses with a cash income-flow can be purchased by overseas investors when the dollar is weak. In fact it's attractive from an overseas perspective - even if it is utterly unattractive from our perspective and just more proof of the economy's weakness.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6552|UK

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I hate Economics. I don't understand how the US can be in so much debt yet still be so rich.
It's because the government borrows it's money from a private bank (the federal reserve).  Considering we are not on the Gold standard the ''money'' we do have, is made literally out of thin air. 

It's a fucking sham tbh
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6473
I've been harping on about a lot of the issues (e.g. lending from China especially) in threads relating to the US 'boycotting' Chinese products because of Olympic controversy.

Nobody seems to want to understand my economical points until it's presented to them in a sensationalist and hyperbolic 'documentary'.

/rolleyes.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada
Why would we want to do that?  China would never endanger our interests, and even if they did, aren't we somehow just as bad as them or perhaps worse?
topal63
. . .
+533|6721

Marinejuana wrote:

... if this film doesnt assert that current monetary policy was forced on us, just like mexico and most of the world, by international bankers, then right there u see why this film made it past the big $ media filters. the worlds power brokers, the ones that own our banks, corporations and hollywood, WANT us to believe that our constitution, political system, and politicians, are miserable failures and they want us to cry out for some kind of change.
A film about how banking institutions enslave people, nations and the world into debt/usury servitude, I believe that is a different film than this one.

This film is about the basics. The how we got here and the current state of it, this horrid fiscal mess were in (in the U.S.A.). It's not a conspiracy theory movie, even if the conspiracy is true. It's about identifiable bad decisions and identifiable bad policies. It's about projecting those bad decisions and policies into the future - and realizing the mess we'll leave to another generation. It's about some real numbers some people actually aren't aware of. It's about shell games (S.S. revenue borrowing in budget deficits). It's about personal savings - why are they at an all time low? What is to blame? Trade deficits, declines in the middle class, the plummeting value of the dollar, the inability to sustain consumerism as a driving economic force, etc.

I think they just wanted to produce an eye-opener for people - about our long term fiscal failures (that mess that's been 30+ years in the making).

Last edited by topal63 (2008-08-16 14:03:41)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6473

Turquoise wrote:

Why would we want to do that?  China would never endanger our interests, and even if they did, aren't we somehow just as bad as them or perhaps worse?
People were seriously suggesting a Chinese boycott in an old D&ST thread, I was just there pointing out the economic implications (all of which were ignored).

And from an economic sense you're much worse than China right now . You may be 'more advanced', but hundreds of billions of dollars of that advancement is courtesy of the Chinese Bank- something along the lines of 4.5% of your total foreign investment. The Middle-East is another huge area as well, not to just make this seem as though the USA is in China's back-pocket exclusively. But a small segment of that video-trailer that mentions this foreign lending is very true and I can only hope that the full documentary presents it as effectively and jaw-droppingly as possible. It really is a huge economical headache that is being pushed under the carpet.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada
Honestly, if things are as bleak as Marine suggests they are, we're pretty fucked.  It really would be better to just enjoy things before it all crashes down.  Live it up even.

Think about it...  if things really are about to collapse, doesn't that just mean that later on we won't be able to appreciate all the decadence we have now?  Why not go all out before this group enslaves us?  At least then, you can say you knew what enjoyment really was at one point.
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

People were seriously suggesting a Chinese boycott in an old D&ST thread, I was just there pointing out the economic implications (all of which were ignored).

And from an economic sense you're much worse than China right now . You may be 'more advanced', but hundreds of billions of dollars of that advancement is courtesy of the Chinese Bank- something along the lines of 4.5% of your total foreign investment. The Middle-East is another huge area as well, not to just make this seem as though the USA is in China's back-pocket exclusively. But a small segment of that video-trailer that mentions this foreign lending is very true and I can only hope that the full documentary presents it as effectively and jaw-droppingly as possible. It really is a huge economical headache that is being pushed under the carpet.
I understand that, but honestly, I'm starting to feel like it's past the point of no return.  Let's ride this wave for all it's worth.
topal63
. . .
+533|6721
The movie is about passing a debt to another generation. There isn't a single reason to stay a failed course or court a collapse, as there are solutions - the fact is no one politically will talk about this issue or seriously address it; it's not a very sexy topic.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-08-16 14:09:24)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6473
From my studies of economics it's very foreseeable and predictable that the wave will come to a rather big crash .

I'm not sure blind consumerism and continual lending from institutions will improve your quality of life any further.

If that's the approach your country takes in sorting this problem, then all I can forewarn is that the eventual crash will make the Great Depression seem like another normal day on Wall Street.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-16 14:10:03)

Turquoise
O Canada

topal63 wrote:

The movie is about passing a debt to another generation. There isn't a single reason to stay a failed course or court a collapse, as there are solutions - the fact is no one politically will talk about this issue or seriously address it; it's not a very sexy topic.
...but because they won't talk about it, we're going to fall.  I think that much is clear.  I guess the only safeguard is...  don't have kids.  They're going to grow up in a really fucked up world.  Oh well....
topal63
. . .
+533|6721

Turquoise wrote:

topal63 wrote:

...but because they won't talk about it, we're going to fall.  I think that much is clear.  I guess the only safeguard is...  don't have kids.  They're going to grow up in a really fucked up world.  Oh well....
You're so pessimistic. Lighten up - the world has always been fucked up. There hasn't been a time in history when there wasn't turmoil, strife and social upheavals.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6552|UK

Turquoise wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Get your cash out of dollars.  I only have as much in the bank as I need to pay the bills.  Foreign appreciating currencies, gold and silver (well, probably less of a good idea now, but still better than dollars).  Essentially, anything that is tied to the dollar, get rid of it.

Martyn

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard