CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6515|USA
https://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_oly_experts__1/ept_sports_oly_experts-471791826-1218418035.jpg?ym0lS1_C1kb1PNbC

If you watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday night, chances are you said something like, "no way that's possible" at least once. It turns out you were right.

London's Telegraph newspaper reports that some of the fireworks which appeared over Beijing during the television broadcast of the Olympic Opening Ceremony were actually computer generated. But -- hold on -- it's not necessarily as bad  as you think.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

The Opening Ceremony is, at its core, just one big performance. And isn't it accepted that some things might not be legit at a performance?  The final torch bearer wasn't actually running around the top of the stadium, does the fact that everyone could figure that out make it any less? It might have been unnecessarily deceptive, but the firework-faking isn't that big of a deal. But, if I found out that the lighted-drum thing wasn't on the up and up, then we'll have problems, China.
anyone else feel cheated? wait, why would i? it isn't like anyone else is enhancing their performance... the fireworks are just trying to fit it!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin … =oly,99745
CrazeD
+368|6670|Maine
Who gives a shit whether fireworks are real or not?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

It would be dangerous to the helicopters?

That's why the cameras are given a zoom feature.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6217|Phoenix, AZ
Its a bit messed up, China has what, 1.3 Billion residents? They couldnt sacrifice a crew of 4 for the world's TV screens?
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6515|USA

CrazeD wrote:

i'll bet you're the type that goes for that TV channel with a fireplace and ambient wood burning sounds.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6389|Southern California

GodFather wrote:

Its a bit messed up, China has what, 1.3 Billion residents? They couldnt sacrifice a crew of 4 for the world's TV screens?
Word, that's what we invented china for in the first place...
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6654|west liberty IA

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ol … _C1kb1PNbC

If you watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday night, chances are you said something like, "no way that's possible" at least once. It turns out you were right.

London's Telegraph newspaper reports that some of the fireworks which appeared over Beijing during the television broadcast of the Olympic Opening Ceremony were actually computer generated. But -- hold on -- it's not necessarily as bad  as you think.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

The Opening Ceremony is, at its core, just one big performance. And isn't it accepted that some things might not be legit at a performance?  The final torch bearer wasn't actually running around the top of the stadium, does the fact that everyone could figure that out make it any less? It might have been unnecessarily deceptive, but the firework-faking isn't that big of a deal. But, if I found out that the lighted-drum thing wasn't on the up and up, then we'll have problems, China.
anyone else feel cheated? wait, why would i? it isn't like anyone else is enhancing their performance... the fireworks are just trying to fit it!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin … =oly,99745
I think london is just jealous because they have to top that in 4 yrs oh well they got time to double the budget.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6111|SC | USA |
One hell of a fucking shoop is all I can say.
CrazeD
+368|6670|Maine

CrazeD wrote:

Apparently a lot of people...
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6838|Missoula, MT
The Olympics are this year?  Huh... 
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6226|NSW, Australia

i didnt even know?
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock
Heh, I noticed it at the time, it was when the firework "footsteps" were approaching the stadium.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
What's the problem?

No pollution from an image but there are for real fireworks ... we couldn't tell the difference meaning it has come to the point now where the mind can't distinguish reality from virtual reality and that is an incredible time to be living in.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6717|Scotland

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

One hell of a fucking shoop is all I can say.
A W S M F O X R O X
Banned
+55|5768|A W S M F O X
It was A+++++++++++++ no matter the shoop.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6388

It was actually only the footprint fireworks.  The rest were real.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
So the emoticon fireworks were real? Because those were so win
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6777|Great Brown North
lol at the "mist"
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6515|USA

kylef wrote:

What's the problem?

No pollution from an image but there are for real fireworks ... we couldn't tell the difference meaning it has come to the point now where the mind can't distinguish reality from virtual reality and that is an incredible time to be living in.

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

i'll bet you're the type that goes for that TV channel with a fireplace and ambient wood burning sounds.
---

A W S M F O X R O X wrote:

Baroid Bonds is a great baseball player, amirite?
Floyd Landis is a great bicyclist, amirite?
Shawne Merriman is a great football player, amirite?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

What about that little Chinese girl who sang in the opening ceremony? Anyone else think that her mouth and the words were just a bit out of sync?
Turns out you'd be right there too, the girl was lip-syncing. The girl who was doing the actual singing was deemed "not cute enough" because of slightly crooked teeth so she sang from backstage.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
i g
Banned
+876|5861|GA

CrazeD wrote:

i do k
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6574|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

i g wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

i do k
Ryan
+1,230|6840|Alberta, Canada

It's pretty lame that China has to fake everything to make them look like they have held the best Olympics ever.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6515|USA
this just in, along with the new technologies in swim-wear, the Chinese have constructed a deeper pool than in past Olympics reducing surface turbulence and thus making faster, record-breaking ratings times.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6435

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

kylef wrote:

What's the problem?

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

---

A W S M F O X R O X wrote:

Baroid Bonds is a great baseball player, amirite?
Floyd Landis is a great bicyclist, amirite?
Shawne Merriman is a great football player, amirite?
Floyd Landis, meh, just like the rest of the dopers, win some, lose some.
Shawn Merriman, was only good when he juiced.  It's also easy to be considered a good linebacker for a couple years.  Do it for a career and I'll be impressed. 

Barry Bonds, best player of our decade before and after the juice.  Steroids just made him hit the ball farther.  He still has the best eye of anyone in our era.  Everyone in baseball juiced and he just sat there and said, "Fuck it, I can do it better than them."  Barry is one of the greatest players ever, no matter what you say...  Sports are entertainment, and we all got what we asked for.

On topic, who cares about the fireworks.  People are so ready to find any mistake China makes.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2008-08-13 10:50:20)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard