djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6328|Oregon
Music has always sucked.
It has also always been great.

I can name plenty of bands who are still recording who I love. In fact, my two favorite rock groups right now (besides The Beatles) are still playing... Spoon and Radiohead.

Albums I love that have come out in the last 2 years:
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Blue Sky Black Death - Late Night Cinema
Immortal Technique - The Third World
Beck - Modern Guilt
Bjork - Volta
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Ratatat - LP3
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple

And a shitload more... my point is just that music doesn't suck now... you just have to know where to look for it. But seriously... listen to Spoon. Great band.

Last edited by djphetal (2008-08-09 15:36:49)

Marinejuana
local
+415|6578|Seattle
yes, rock is dead.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6328|Oregon

Marinejuana wrote:

yes, rock is dead.
oh man you guys are just so wrong...
Actually scratch that.
"Rock" is so fucking expansive that, if you look at my post above, you'll see it's far from dead.
However... if you meant "rock" in the sense I think you think you meant, then yes, I'd agree that there hasn't been anything worth listening to in... a while.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I love music and i'm sure a lot of you do... but music in the last 8 years or so sucks...
what happened?

90s...
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Rage against the machine
Sound Garden
Radiohead
Counting Crows
Hootie
Gin Blossoms
NIN
Chili peppers
Oasis
and so many more...

the verve
Aerosmith(4 decades)
Stone temple pilots
Open your mind to new music??
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Spark wrote:

I like many of those bands, but most of them have been superseded by Coldplay.
@Metal. (karma)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709

xBlackPantherx wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I love music and i'm sure a lot of you do... but music in the last 8 years or so sucks...
what happened?

90s...
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Rage against the machine
Sound Garden
Radiohead
Counting Crows
Hootie
Gin Blossoms
NIN
Chili peppers
Oasis
and so many more...

the verve
Aerosmith(4 decades)
Stone temple pilots
Open your mind to new music??
It was just off the top of my head after many beers... There are a lot more bands that are awesome...
even a couple from the recent past... 
Travis
The Yeah yeah yeahs
The Killers
Snow Patrol
Buck Cherry
OAR

and some more older bands
The Smiths
The Cure
REM
U2
Pearl Jam
The Trash can Sinatras
Dinosaur Jr
Depeche mode
Van Halen
Mother love Bone
Bad Brains
Dropkick Murphys
Counting Crows
Guns and Roses
Foo Fighters
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Allman Bros

and a bunch more...
Love is the answer
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6658|NT, like Mick Dundee

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California
I mean more genres.
jaymz9350
+54|6570

usmarine wrote:

i g wrote:

i dont see how someone cant like music. its a huge part of my life
because you kids grew up with mp3's glued to your ears.
I didn't grow up with mp3's glued to my ears, I grew up with musicians.  Your personal opinion is respected but not a fact.  I couldn't live with out listening to or playing music.  As a matter of fact I just got back from Columbus playing a show and had a blast, beer and being on stage is one of the best things in life for me (nest to my family).
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

jaymz9350 wrote:

usmarine wrote:

i g wrote:

i dont see how someone cant like music. its a huge part of my life
I didn't grow up with mp3's glued to my ears, I grew up with musicians.  Your personal opinion is respected but not a fact.  I couldn't live with out listening to or playing music.  As a matter of fact I just got back from Columbus playing a show and had a blast, beer and being on stage is one of the best things in life for me (nest to my family).
yes it is not fact.  but people walk around with ipods stuck in their ears all day.  you even see it in the olympics.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado
Sublime
System of a Down
Korn
Deicide
That's just the stuff in the work cd player for me. Rock is alive and well, get Sirius & you'll see more new bands than you can remember.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5924|Somewhere out in Space
Notice how OP is too narrow-minded to look OUTSIDE MAINSTREAM and possibly try a little harder it he really cared so much about good music?  People seem to love to ignore Canada though, even if there is a LOT of talented groups that are hardly known; Arcade Fire, which is so far the only one i noticed in this thread.  And if 70's-80's rock n' roll is what you are looking for...

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2008-08-09 22:45:41)

jaymz9350
+54|6570

usmarine wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

usmarine wrote:

yes it is not fact.  but people walk around with ipods stuck in their ears all day.  you even see it in the olympics.
yeah that annoys me too.  I love music but there are times I don't feel the need to have it, like running errands around town or if I'm out enjoining nature.  Now if I'm in my car or working around the house it's a necessity for me.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

Notice how OP is too narrow-minded to look OUTSIDE MAINSTREAM and possibly try a little harder it he really cared so much about good music?  People seem to love to ignore Canada though, even if there is a LOT of talented groups that are hardly known; Arcade Fire, which is so far the only one i noticed in this thread.  And if 70's-80's rock n' roll is what you are looking for...

I love all kinds of music... even bands that rip off Judas Priest like the video you posted...lol...

I have played guitar since 1978... I love Def Leppard...Ozzy... Dokken...Dream Theater...
Stabbing Westward... Sacred Reich... Metallica... Pantera... Motorhead... Lemme rules...

Country...
George Jones... Waylon Jennings... Johny Cash...

and a local band i used to go see all the time from 87-90
WrathChild America...  the drummer is Shannon Larkin and he plays for Godsmack now...

so save the narrowminded comments... music has been bad the past few years save for a few cool bands...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-08-09 23:14:33)

Love is the answer
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

I love all kinds of music... even bands that rip off Judas Priest like the video you posted...lol...
Yeah, just like how every single rock band in history ripped off of chuck berry and every metal riff belongs to Sabbath. 

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

so save the narrowminded comments... music has been bad the past few years save for a few cool bands...
"i'm not even going to point out the irony here" Randall Graves, Clerks 2

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2008-08-10 00:08:36)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
not sure what your point is... don't care.... lol...
Love is the answer
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
Successful troll is successful.  Everyone in this thread loses.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6479|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
I have to agree and disagree with you. What I have been listening started out in the 90s and are still going strong today.

The 70's and the 80's had alot more horrible music than the did good, they gave us shit like disco, and hair bands.

Edit: @op, yes the last few years the music that has been put out is shit, emo bands all sound the same.

Last edited by SgtHeihn (2008-08-10 01:15:49)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6354|Vancouver
I rarely listen to anything post-1985. Music mostly died along with Keith Moon and John Bonham.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
yes, rock is dead.
Thank God, I've always hated rock.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina
Every decade has its best genres.  In the 50s, it was blues, jazz, and r&b.  In the 60s, it was pop, soul, and rock.  In the 70s, it was rock, r&b, punk, and funk.  In the 80s, it was pop, goth, punk, and rock (but not that awful hair rock shit).  In the 90s, it was grunge, alternative, rap, and techno.

When it comes to this decade, techno is really the best, but there's still a lot of shitty techno too.  The reason why this decade gets ragged on so much is because most radio music blows so much.  Almost all this emo and pop shit pales in comparison to its predecessors.  Also, metal was way better in the 80s and 90s than most current metal.

Occasionally, something good will come out that actually makes it onto the radio, but as several other posters have pointed out, you've got to dig more for the good stuff coming out now, since the American Idol shit dominates the radio (in America at least).

If anything, the music industry sucks a lot more now than the actual quality of music overall, since most radio programmers are lazy and only care about what sells, while the recording studios themselves pander to the lowest common denominator.  They rarely take any risks anymore, and as a result, most of their products are bland shit you'll hear more often at the mall and the dentist office than actually being played in people's cars.  For the most part, a lot of pop and rock now is just boring.  While a lot of the rap that comes out now is repetitive and mind-numbingly bad.  Soulja Boy is probably the worst shit I've ever heard on the radio before, although Gwen Stefani is close.

So yeah, turn off the radio, search the net for music, and check out your local music scene.  You'll probably find way better stuff that way nowadays than letting Clear Channel pick your music for you.
mikkel
+383|6594
Music often seems dead to the people who cling to the same genres and artists for decades.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5757|Belgium

usmarine wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Is that a bad thing? From personal experience, I can say certain music (tastes vary ofcourse) can get you really pumped for a game. You know, I really do understand those swimmers, they have been practicing for years, and at the Olympics (and in any other competition, too) they can finally show off what they're worth. It's their time to shine. You really wouldn't want to mess that up by not being concentrated, and from personal experience I can tell you music really can get you concentrated, ready to perform. I used to listen to the same song, for 2 years, every time before a match, it became a ritual but really had me pumping to play every single time.

my 2c.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

There is still good music.  The 90's produced some amazing bands.  What makes it stand out is that that the "grunge" bands and that era is what is popular, so it was heavily marketed.

Now, it seems, that it is a time for this cheesy , easily pallatable, corperate friendly acts are what sells.   What's "good" in music is merely what the public buys.  That's what really sucks.  That so many people are into the shit thats played on the radio.  It's scary.

There is still some great acts out there, but since it isn't the popular sound, you don't hear it.   Granted it seems like there are fewer NEW bands out there, but that's also because good bands are in garages playing right now, because, AGAIN, it isn't what record compaines can sell alot of.

Why fuck with bands that would only make a few millions, as opposed to some pop princess making hundreds of millions.

Sure there are dragnet labels and agents that pick up a few good acts, and thank god for them, we will catch some good acts.  But for the most part, heavy metal, solid confident Rock is just not that big. 

Wait for another one of those "Return of Rock" trends.  The last one was pretty acceptable (early-Korn, System of a Down, Mudvayne, etc.).

While, imo, the 90's were a high water mark, think of the early 70's another HUGE moment in "rock"  Then we had the eighties, god help us.  Whith exceptions like Metallica, Danzig, etc. is was awful.  This is our new 1980's music.  It's not cheesy hair bands, it's cheesy emo/watered-down-beatles type crap.

Plus, the rap.  Course rap has been shitting all over the definition of music for a long time.  Never been a fan, but there was a time when rap had soemthing to say.  Something to think about in it's words.  Now?  money, women, and the gangster lifestyle.  It's so shallow now it's beyond pathetic.

Anyway,  dig around.  Find bands you like, and check out the band members.  Alot of times, your favorite bands will link you to some of thier friends bands that aren't big, and you'll find some pretty cool shit.  Alot of bands always have thier "scenes" where a big group of bands are all associated through a community of mutual respect and an interest in one another's music.

EDIT: I avoided uisng the word "pop".  Technically. in the 1990s Grunge WAS pop.  pop isn't really a music catagory.  You could say TOOL is pop, right next to Nickelback or White Stripes, and those bands have little, soundwise, in common.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-08-10 11:38:17)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

There is good music and bad music.  That's the way it has always been.  Perhaps the mediums you rely on for music are changing in a direction you do not like.  Maybe you need to travel new avenues and explore new realms of music to unlock new "good music".

I just went to a daylong music festival yesterday full of great music, a lot of it not available or hard to find through traditional musical outlets like TV and radio.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard