Yes53%53% - 56
No15%15% - 16
Somewhat26%26% - 28
I believe in another theory (If so specify)3%3% - 4
Total: 104
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6654|west liberty IA
the flying spaghetti monster...j.k. i cant just be convince on something that is more bigger then us
oldgoat
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive
+5|6515
hey you know how atoms have like stuff floating around like electrons and stuff?  how they orbit...could it be that were on a bigger electron and the sun is the nucleus and stuff and that theres people or aliens or whatever way bigger than us?
HollisHurlbut
+51|5995

oldgoat wrote:

hey you know how atoms have like stuff floating around like electrons and stuff?  how they orbit...could it be that were on a bigger electron and the sun is the nucleus and stuff and that theres people or aliens or whatever way bigger than us?
No.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire
I wouldn't say I "believe" the big bang theory as it's a matter of science and not faith, what I would say is that I accept the big bang theory as the best theory on offer and will adjust my views accordingly when better evidence comes to light.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS

HollisHurlbut wrote:

oldgoat wrote:

No.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
topthrill05
+125|6575|Rochester NY USA

Spark wrote:

HollisHurlbut wrote:

oldgoat wrote:

No.
No.

But I will say I have found it fascinating as well how similar those two process are.

Although I look at it like this. Look at humans and computers, we (A manifestation of energy) created something that works almost exactly how our own brain works. The biggest question at this point is how to interpret our brains "Binary code".

In the same way an atom (A manifestation of energy) has smashed into enough shit to create planets, stars ext.

Idk I might have went insane anyway.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
Uh? Does not compute...

One interesting question that no one has really tackled is 'what IS energy?'
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6491|N. Ireland
On the one hand, the idea makes sense and I do believe that, even if it is just to a certain extent, a bang did occur. There is evidence out there that of course would hint that a bang did occur (read articles on television static I think?) but I'm not sure I believe in the whole "one bang created this universe." What ATG said is what I'd say too ... what was there before, you can't create something out of nothing ... or can you?

On the other hand, I do believe in God. But that too has evidence for and against. What's not to say that God created the big bang which created everything? It's a tough question and, despite my "faith", I honestly don't know if I do or not.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

kylef wrote:

On the one hand, the idea makes sense and I do believe that, even if it is just to a certain extent, a bang did occur. There is evidence out there that of course would hint that a bang did occur (read articles on television static I think?) but I'm not sure I believe in the whole "one bang created this universe." What ATG said is what I'd say too ... what was there before, you can't create something out of nothing ... or can you?

On the other hand, I do believe in God. But that too has evidence for and against. What's not to say that God created the big bang which created everything? It's a tough question and, despite my "faith", I honestly don't know if I do or not.
Where is the empirical 'evidence' (seeing as the term evidence when used in the sciences, or the arts or law always has physical form) for the existence of God? Did I miss this huge breakthrough? This piece of fact that proves that a giant guy with a white beard in the sky created the world because he was bored one day, then gave us a list of things we couldn't do; and now sits there 24 hours a day watching every single one of us to make sure we don't break the rules? And please, don't tell me that the story of Moses and his friends tripping their tits off on mushrooms one day on a mountain top is 'evidence' for the Ten Commandments or anything like that (psilocybin mushrooms were used a lot in the old Jewish communities for spiritual purposes, there's something that there IS actually 'evidence' of).

It's all too easy for people to fill in the blank spaces of unknown with the supernatural- in fact that's why God and religion were so intermingled with science before the 20th century and the 'scientific revolution' in ways of thought. Don't do it Kyle, it's a sign of human laziness. "What happened to cause the Big Bang? We don't have a clue, so I reckon it was God". I'd rather openly admit that we can't answer that questions with our current research and technological means... hell, I'd rather even admit that we as humans don't have the intellectual or mental capacity to grasp such huuuge concepts- period. But bringing the supernatural and this catch-all answer of 'God did it' or 'It was Gods will' is just a throwback in thinking to the Middle Ages.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-09 08:18:46)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HollisHurlbut
+51|5995

Spark wrote:

Uh? Does not compute...

One interesting question that no one has really tackled is 'what IS energy?'
The capacity to do work.  Usually measured in joules, but sometimes in ergs or calories.  Measured in electronvolts by those of us who really know our shit and like to show off the fact.

Duh.
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

oug wrote:

"Belief" has no place in science.
Isn't a hypothesis a belief?
ReTox
+100|6497|State of RETOXification

jsnipy wrote:

oug wrote:

"Belief" has no place in science.
Isn't a hypothesis a belief?
A hypothesis is supposed be speculation free and shouldn't be categorized as a belief in the popular sense of the word.  A belief tends to be based on something we can't see or prove.  Whereas a hypothesis is based on evidence and science.  Or as much as is possible.  The idea is to make a determinate and reasonable deduction based on the given evidence.

I'll give an example.  Faraday had a hypothesis of electromagnetism based on a shitload of time observing effects.  He used fillings and discovered that magnets give off a field.  His hypothesis eventually became law.

That isn't to say that one can't hypothesize about something or anything... but that would be better described as pondering.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard