Poll

If a god exists is it most likely good or evil?

Evil22%22% - 13
Good23%23% - 14
Neutral54%54% - 32
Total: 59
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6354|Vancouver

imortal wrote:

I was offering possibilities; something I see precious other people here doing.  Also, because it is an old argument does not invalidate it.  And yes, it can be difficult to judge the possibilities of a 'message from god' from ordinary happenings; it does make it rather convient for hindsight, does it not?

The greeks used to refer to people who heard 'voices' as being touched by the gods.  Now, we just throw them in a nut house or out on the street.

"Sometimes, if you do things right, nobody will know you did them at all."  God, in Futurama

I am simply trying to debate here.  There has to be some wiggle room between "There is a God, and nothing you tell me will prove otherwise," and "There is NO God, and nothing you tell me will prove otherwise."
I did not say that because it was an old argument that it was invalid. I expressed my sentiments that it is a cop-out. As with many religious arguments, the conclusion (a god exists) has already been reached, and arguments for that proposition are created subsequently. Hardly logical.

Yes, we do throw those who talk to a god into a nut house. For good reason- Lack of sanity. If I talked to Zeus, or the Easter Bunny, or my dead ancestors, it would be no different.

You also misunderstand my argument. As an atheist, I lack belief in supernatural beings. Logically, I consider the possibility of supernatural beings, particularly gods, to be low (albeit not zero), and therefore I lack belief. I am completely open to change, but I have yet to hear a compelling argument. To an atheist such as I, the idea of a god seems archaic and without any place in reality- Even childish. It is no different than the existence of the Tooth Fairy. How would you react if a forty year old man attempted to convince you that money would be under your pillow if you left money there the previous night? Imagine this man is one of many, billions who rule the planet, attempting to rule governments and teach children according to this doctrine. In essence, it becomes a grand comedy. Against this silliness, I would not be prepared to so easily give myself to religion without sufficient evidence. No, I do not adhere to "There is NO gods, and nothing you will tell me will prove otherwise". I only lack belief in the subject.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado

imortal wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

Fallacious?!! No sir if anything is illogical, deceptive or misleading it's your belief in some supernatual being that you have no proof of other than a few words your pastor or bible tell you to recite to non-believers.
I have a challenge for you.  Go back in this, as well as any and all previous God threads, and find a statement, by me and in context, that I say flat out that "there is a God."  I dare you.

Try not to make assumptions about me, please.  I have tried to provide points of argument, clarification, or debate points.  I do not recall ever stating my personal beliefs.  If I have, I stated them as only my beliefs, and have never tried to pass them off as bold fact.

And yes, stating there is no God because he did not personally speak to you is pretty much the very definition of egotism.

Ever see Bruse Almighty?  Funny movie.  Remember the part where he was driving and praying to God to show him a sign?  Remember the truck full of road signs that pulled out in front of him?

You may have been listening carefully, but who is to say if you were listening or watching the right things, or if you even recognized if or when it happened?  Who knows, maybe you were praying to the wrong god after all.  All of those are just as likely as your "There is no God" statement.
Well, I'm very sorry I assumed you believed in God as you defended as if you were one of them. Again no ego involved, I expected him to talk to everyone, he talked to no one other than some squishy feelings. Yeah was a good flick. The sequal sucked.
How is it fallacious to state something doesn't exist, & you have no way to prove it?

Edit: I think it was your name that made me assume, so you don't believe, that's great.

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2008-08-07 22:00:26)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
If God existed he'd be neutral because of the free will thing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard