Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6685|Broadlands, VA
I'd like to upgrade from my current SATA drive to a Raptor.  However, I really do not want to go throught he faffery of reloading the O/S & apps.  Does anyone know of a way to reliable do a bit for bit copy of drives.  The O/S is windows BTW.  It will also likely be a change in drive size.
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6761

Try to find a copy of Norton Ghost...it works pretty well. I don't need to suggest any illegal ways...*ahem*...bittorent...*ahem*...

But I would recommend you just get do a clean installation of Windows XP...things work so much better
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
Buy 2 hard drives and go Raid 0. You will have to do a complete new install but the difference in terms of performance and loading etc definitely makes it worth while. Well fast.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
Two Hitachi deskstars either 160GB or 250GB giving a Raid 0 array of 320GB or 500GB respectively. I have 2 160GB deskstars.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
Regarding backing up BF2. Uninstall and back up the EA games folder. Replace after reinstall. Back up anything else important aswell. Worth doing for increase in performance.

Last edited by General_CoLin_Tassi (2006-03-01 10:32:31)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6702|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
150gb raptor FtW....!!!1!!!11!
InnerMonkey
+62|6725
Ghost and Drive Image both cost money.  A freeware alternative is XXCOPY.  It's more cryptic, but will do what you want.  A lot of drives also come with utilities that'll do what you're asking. 

I don't know if you're doing all of this simply for the space, or if you're doing it for performance.  If it's just for space in a single-drive system, I'd suggest leaving the old drive in and adding a 2nd disc to hold all your 'crap'.  Since you're running a SATA drive anyway, I will assume disk performance is decent as is (not an ancient 5400rpm slower drive).  Unless you go fancy, you'll not get much better access time. 

RAID 0 will give you faster performance (data is sliced up and shared between each drive).  It's not really RAID per se, as there is no actual redundancy involved, but it is fast.  The Raptor drives are fast too, but expensive and some say noisey.  A 150gb Raptor will set you back close to 300 U.S. bucks (can get a 500gb 'regular' drive for a little more).  It's uber fast for an IDE drive, but the price, and possibly the noise may not be worth it too you.  I've also read of folks having problems with these drives and some IDE chipsets.  You might want to read up if you go the Raptor route, as you may end up having to jump through some hoops.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
Agree with above. Yep, Raid 0 doesn't having redundancy but for a home gaming rig, speed is the key.
I bet you could get 2 160mb Hitachi Deskstars for just under $300! Will be alot faster than one raptor.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

150gb raptor FtW....!!!1!!!11!
best drive in the world, im gonna get it after it releases here in taiwan
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6761
Did you know that two of the new Western Digital 160gb 10,000RPM 16mb cache Sata raptors on Raid O go so fast you can actualy travel back in time
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6682|Planet Seibertron ;)
Only if your computer was going at 88GHz with a flux capacitor hooked up.
Cyberwolf
Banned
+14|6698

General_CoLin_Tassi wrote:

Two Hitachi deskstars either 160GB or 250GB giving a Raid 0 array of 320GB or 500GB respectively. I have 2 160GB deskstars.
*Cough*Bottleneck*Cough* Anyone with ANY sense knows Raptor beats the shit out of that particular model. I don't see what your post has to do with helping the user...Just to point that out.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6702|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
15k scsi FtW
Y0URDAD
I'ma Eat Yo Children!
+17|6651|Annapolis, MD

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon wrote:

Did you know that two of the new Western Digital 160gb 10,000RPM 16mb cache Sata raptors on Raid O go so fast you can actualy travel back in time
I have only done this once before...
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6685|Broadlands, VA
Performance - I am thinking about upgrading to a Raptor since I saw my friend's at work.  Jeeze it's fast.  I think my MOBO might even support RIAD 0.  That would rock.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK

Cyberwolf wrote:

General_CoLin_Tassi wrote:

*Cough*Bottleneck*Cough* Anyone with ANY sense knows Raptor beats the shit out of that particular model. I don't see what your post has to do with helping the user...Just to point that out.
The guy is thinking about upgrading his HD. 2 hitachi's on raid 0 is better than one raptor, unless your getting two raptor's of course. Just pointing out the benifits of raid 0 as he is doing a HD upgrade. So what's your problem dude, plus hitachi deskstars, if you know your stuff, are one of the best hard drives around. Obviously not as fast as a raptor, but 2 deskstars on raid 0 is more cost effective and faster. Read some independent reveiws to find out. k. And I have got sence, in fact, I had the sence to spend £3000 on a bad boy PC last March which I built myself. Bet it beats the pants off your system, chump. And read all my posts in order and you might understand what I'm saying re backing up etc.

Last edited by General_CoLin_Tassi (2006-03-03 05:55:21)

General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Performance - I am thinking about upgrading to a Raptor since I saw my friend's at work.  Jeeze it's fast.  I think my MOBO might even support RIAD 0.  That would rock.
Don't forget you need 2 drives for Raid. Two raptors would be super super fast, but expensive. Go for it if you can, else look at getting 2 of the same drives from another manufacturer. My loading time between maps is 1min 7secs with all graphical options set to ultra high and 4 sample AA. Hell yeah!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

15k scsi FtW
i would rather have a fx-60
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6682|Planet Seibertron ;)
I'd rather have this
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6735|Australia

sixshot wrote:

I'd rather have this
screw that
http://www.asetek.com/main/page.asp?sideid=559
ftw
Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6730

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

sixshot wrote:

I'd rather have this
screw that
http://www.asetek.com/main/page.asp?sideid=559
ftw
How much would that cost though
InnerMonkey
+62|6725
Probably more than a CPU upgrade
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722

InnerMonkey wrote:

Probably more than a CPU upgrade
u mean hardrive upgrade...

i would rather have... the ownership of amd!
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6685|Broadlands, VA
GAAAAA!!!!!

First, I want to thank all of you for your ideas.  And one got me to thinking - which is usually disasterous.  I checked my motherboard (ABit AW8-MAX) and yes indeedie!  It supports RAID!  So then I remembered that I purchased a second hard drive a while back for another reason.  Checked the model against what I already had in the box and BINGO!  A perfect match (SeaGate Barracuda 7200 300GB).

In went the drive (and did a little clean up while the box was open).  Fired up the PC, told the BIOS to go into RAID awareness, loaded Windows, logged in and the happy "Hey!  You Gots New Hardware!" message came up.

So, in went the ABit Utility & Driver disk and off went Windows searching for the perfect driver - found it!  The Silicon Image Soft SATA RAID driver - W00T!!!  Restarted the PC.  Browsed the CD, found the Intel Matrix RAID Controller software, double-clicked "Install" and           

I have the one, THE ONE, sub group out of the Intel 82801 chipset that doesn't support RAID - the 82801GB.

GAAAAA!!!!

Last edited by Kaosdad008 (2006-03-04 15:30:25)

General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
Oh well, you had better "raid" your piggy bank. No pun intended!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard