Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
I had a friend that told me one of his clan mates uses a PS2 controller to fly around in jets, and I thought the idea sounded pretty good. I rock at the Ace Combat games, and if I can get used to using the controler for BF2, I might actually make a decent pilot, but does anyone else use this or have any tips/comments about it?

Thanks,
Kit
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Hmm that sounds like a good idea! Although I never played many flying games on the PS or PS2, I've always wanted to give a joystick a shot at BF2. Guess this will be the closest thing without me having to spend any money (already have a USB adapter).
Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6148|Wisconsin
I tried flying with an n64 controller and I failed. Hard.
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
MTB how much was your adapter and what store did you get it from?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Kitfoxfire wrote:

MTB how much was your adapter and what store did you get it from?
It was about $5-$10 and I got it from Fry's. I guess the price has gone up, since this is the only one I can find from them. You can probably find some at other places, too. I use it a lot for emulators, but not for any PC games.

Also, I just got done testing out the PS2 controller to fly and I don't like it. I could probably lower my sensitivity, but I also fly mouse and keyboard un-inverted. However BF2 automatically inverts the joystick, and I haven't found an option to un-invert it, so I flew like crap. I guess I could probably take some time to get used to it, but right now I'm sticking with M+KB.
Nihil
+15|5775|Malaga, Spain
I have tried it briefly, it was hard and I crashed a lot. I reckon it could be very good with a lot of perseverence though.
HSG
+23|6443|British Columbia, Canada

LuigiMcOwnage wrote:

I tried flying with an n64 controller and I failed. Hard.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HSG
+23|6443|British Columbia, Canada
I tryed with ps3 controller...It was okay.
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
Yeah i found a dualshock controler at target today for $20 bucks, and its not for a ps2 but actually made for the PC. Has all the same buttons but does not need an adapter...Gona try it out tomorrow. And yeah it will probably take some practice to get used to but I hope it will help me out. I will keep you all informed on how it goes.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5934|London, England

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product … t_id=29384

I have that, flys jets pretty well
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
Well first try is a bit slopy with it.  Hey Mutantsteak, what is the setup you use on your controller?
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5837|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I used to use one I wrote my settings for the PS2 pad in the joystick vs mouse and keyboard posts, I think it works really well because of the short travel on the analog sticks, and you have all the buttons you need and they're easy to reach. I am using an Xbox 360 pad now with Pinnacle game profiler to map the L and R triggers and it seems to work a lot better than the PS2 pad- I use exactly the same button setup, but on the 360 pad the analog sticks are a lot more stable- it's easier to straighten out accurately, I found the PS2 sticks a bit loose, plus the 360 pad has got better quality buttons and a more solid feel- either way they are both good controls for jets, and choppers (if you are just piloting) I couldn't imagine a full on joystick being better, I got some very good scores using the PS2 pad but since I have got used to the 360 one they have got even better and my cannon accuracy is 100% perfect now, so if you don't mind paying £25 for the Xbox pad I'd recommend it over the PS2 one- it will last years and years and if you spend most of the day gaming it's a much more comfortable pad to use as well
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
Maybe I will have to go out and buy a Xbox controller and an adapter sometime, im just using a dualshock controller that was built to be plugged into a usb port and after a few hours im starting to get the hang of it.
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5953|Perth, Australia
Well i tried it before using a logitech controller and i sucked badly. Although i mainly put that down to the fact that i rarely play consoles and so i'm not very accustomed to using the nobly joysticks.

I'll stick to failing ever so slightly less on mouse and keyboard.
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
Well im starting to get decent at using it, still have a few buttons to rearange to get everything just right, but its coming along nicely. And yeah it did take some time to get used to the joysticks, but once you are its really easy to use. Right now im just trying to figure out the best place to put my bottons for flyby view, rear view, and cockpit view.
H3RB4L ABU53
Try the D-pad or the analog stick clicks (if it works) if not then you can map them using a joystick program (if you don't want to take your hand off the sticks to change view)
H3RB4L ABU53
You could have left stick click for fly by, right for rear view, and one of the D-pad buttons for cockpit views, I use the D-pad for all views- up= cockpits, down= chase, left= rear view, and right= fly-by I never had any probs with those
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
My only problem with with that is if i want to switch views while turning, i use the left stick for pitch/roll controll and i would have to remove my thumb from there to check different views. but putting them to click might work...i would have to move my flares and after burners...which are right now set to left and right click.
H3RB4L ABU53
Did you try my settings on the joystick vs mouse and keyboard post? Or doesn't that work for you? I know everyone's different but I find it really hard to roll left/right with the left stick, and yea if you wanted to map the view buttons to anything other than D-pad you would have to move flares and afterburners which could be awkward
Kitfoxfire
+1|5718
Yeah i tried it, and i know i did not really give it time to get used to it, but i grabed the instructions for Ace Combat 5 and used those settings since I ROCKED at that game. I may try yours but i will need to take some time to get used to them... but hey if it works it will be worth it.
H3RB4L ABU53
I think if you use mine you may find it easier if you get used to it, especially in the F-35 vs J-10 I find it quite easy to do the pull up/roll/flare/strato thing with the right stick doing the barrel roll because you have more fine control over the pull up/pull down without accidentally spinning while doing it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard