WormGuts
+17|6791|Dayton, Ohio

InviSniper wrote:

NemeSiS-Factor wrote:

The city of Dalian, China is no where near the coast.  How could it be real?
Perhaps the "shore" is a large lake.
A large lake?  How'd they get the aircraft carrier in the lake?  Airlift it in?
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6707
Yep, well done. Oliver Cromwell and Marie Antoinette. Nice one with the cake quote!
I did that one because it was linked with the French Revolution. Okay, a harder one: Who was nicknamed "Friend of the People", caught a painful skin disease in the sewers when he hid there, and was murdered by a peasant woman? (During the Fench Revolution)

Also, what was the other nickname of William the Conqueror?
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6786|Singapore

Sorry to knock a few skulls otgether, but as far as I'M concerned, US losnig the battle will affect the whole world blah blah I don't think it'll be much different under 'Axis' ruling.
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6707
Under Axis ruling eh? I believe that the Americans did push the war around for the Allies, but any old big country in America's place may have able to do that. Heh, I don't know too much about WWII, do I?
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6719|Indianapolis, IN
Okay, so I am a 17 year old American who learned about US History about 4 years ago and still remember it.  Thats including Wake.  If I remember correctly we dedicated nearly a whole semester on WWI and WWII  I havent had World History but I still know a fair share of the World History. 

Is not every battle important though.  One battle, as said earlier, can change the course of entire wars.  Take for example Pickett's charge in the Battle of Gettysburg.  That one charge most likely was a deciding factor in the outcome of the American Civil War.   Was not the Battle at Waterloo quite important to French history or the Germans advace to Moscow.  One battle can change the outcome of wars.  But we can not know whether that battle will indeed have any effect on the outcome, at the moment, we must look back through history and decide the major battles. 

Americans are very ignorant and arrogant.  I am not planning to major on anything history related but I still want to have knowledge about the history of my country.  Actually, I am planning to major in either Agricultural engineering or biological engineering. 

If Americans could get off the band wagon of absolutly fair education, and actually challenge students to learn ; we might have an effective economy in the future rather than living off welfare and importing our 'needed' items. 

The one thing that affects how people view history and life is religion.  I think that having faith in a relgion promotes different outlooks on life and how hard someone will work for their morals.  (flamming begins...)

Theirs my two cents worth at 2am.
Ziggy_79x
+4|6682

WormGuts wrote:

InviSniper wrote:

NemeSiS-Factor wrote:

The city of Dalian, China is no where near the coast.  How could it be real?
Perhaps the "shore" is a large lake.
A large lake?  How'd they get the aircraft carrier in the lake?  Airlift it in?
ZINGGGGG!
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6699|Little Rock, Arkansas
William the Conqueror was better known as William of Normandy, therby making him a frog. Most Brits like to overlook that fact. And the only person I can come up with to be the friend of the people is Marat, who was the publisher of the revolutionary paper. If its him, I didn't know about the whole sewer thing, or who killed him. I just thought he was finally caught and asassinated.
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6707
Heh, I was thinking of his other nickname. Try and guess it. Yeah, we know he's a frog.

Marat was right, yes.
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6719|Indianapolis, IN
So, if you want me to read up on Australian history, so that I have a better understanding of it, do you have any book title suggestions?

Or will any general history book on Australia do?
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6707
I'd say look on the internet.
robertwjr
+0|6627|U.S.A.

The_Mob_Returns wrote:

If Americans could get off the band wagon of absolutly fair education, and actually challenge students to learn ; we might have an effective economy in the future rather than living off welfare and importing our 'needed' items.
I don't think education that will do anything to fix these problems since most welfare and importing our "needed" items in this country is caused by Corporate America and thier greed not wanting to pay fair wages for the amount of money they make, closing industry down in this country and giving it to countries like China and Mexico and putting even more people out of work by exporting our jobs overseas. I just hope Mexico enjoys the last 4 jobs I had! and also the next time you need tech support, you just might be talking with someone from another country, instead of that job being here in the U.S.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6699|Little Rock, Arkansas
Some folks have referred to him as William the Bloody, or William the Barbarian, but I guess I don't know which name specifically to which you are referring.

And The_Mob_Returns, I would imagine that for the best Australian hisory book, you'd have to ask an aussie. I had a good one, but its at home, and I'm at the office. If I can remember when I get home I'll post its name. When you finish it, I'd suggest a good treatise on WW1, one that includes the political bs that led to the conflict, and goes at least 5 years beyond the end of the war.

After that, find a good work on the generals of WW2, especially Eisenhower, Patton, Rommel, Montgomery, and the other 4 and 5 stars. Marshall was kind of an unperson, a politico, not much of a soldier, but has some interesting bio stuff nontheless. I read a book once that told the story of the war through the generals eyes, kind of like a reverse Steven Ambrose. It was pretty good.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6786|Singapore

Hasnt third world cheap labour always existed?..
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6702|Central Valley,California
O Rly?
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6707
Nope, all wrong. It is, my little fwiend, William the BASTARD! Indeed, he was literally a bastard.
robertwjr
+0|6627|U.S.A.

polarbearz wrote:

Hasnt third world cheap labour always existed?..
Yes, but since our government has come up with all these so called "Trade Agreements" (which are all one sided) the last 10-15 years Corporate Greed and cheap labor has flourished 100 fold in this country. In other words our Government and Coporate America is selling us out over the all mighty buck! Therefore, less jobs here=welfare, less people making decent wages=welfare. Thanks to these agreements countries like China and Mexico are starting to become rich beyond what America will be in a few years. And for Americans, it looks like we will be getting the operations to get slant eyes or we will be speaking Spanish as our first language!

Last edited by robertwjr (2006-03-04 00:13:21)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6834
I think its sad if anyone from the USA, Japan, The Philippines, Austraila or Great Britian wouldn't know were Wake Isle is  ...    Booth or Peale, did you notice the bridges ?

Everyone calm down its a Sad day when Horseman is the voice of reason.
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6629|Derby, England

Ok Guys thos of U who want to see Pics of it Here it is

https://www.travel-images.com/wake1.jpg

https://webpages.charter.net/ajdoc/pictures/Wake.jpg

https://1stmob.com/op114.jpg

Read what it ses on the doore by the way its original name is

Project Wake Island here is full Pics and yeas it  is real militery place

Overview
U.S. Minor Islands (Pacific Ocean, Wake Island)

Historic Registrations
National Register: 85002726 (9/16/1985)

Wake Island Flag

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/um-wake.gif

And Rest Of The Full Info of The place

Introduction Wake Island
Background: The US annexed Wake Island in 1899 for a cable station. An important air and naval base was constructed in 1940-41. In December 1941, the island was captured by the Japanese and held until the end of World War II. In subsequent years, Wake was developed as a stopover and refueling site for military and commercial aircraft transiting the Pacific. Since 1974, the island's airstrip has been used by the US military and some commercial cargo planes, as well as for emergency landings. There are over 700 landings a year on the island. 
Geography Wake Island
Location: Oceania, atoll in the North Pacific Ocean, about two-thirds of the way from Hawaii to the Northern Mariana Islands 
Geographic coordinates: 19 17 N, 166 36 E 
Map references: Oceania 
Area: total: 6.5 sq km
land: 6.5 sq km
water: 0 sq km 
Area - comparative: about 11 times the size of The Mall in Washington, DC 
Land boundaries: 0 km 
Coastline: 19.3 km 
Maritime claims: territorial sea: 12 nm
exclusive economic zone: 200 nm 
Climate: tropical 
Terrain: atoll of three coral islands built up on an underwater volcano; central lagoon is former crater, islands are part of the rim 
Elevation extremes: lowest point: Pacific Ocean 0 m
highest point: unnamed location 6 m 
Natural resources: none 
Land use: arable land: 0%
permanent crops: 0%
other: 100% (2001) 
Irrigated land: 0 sq km (1998 est.) 
Natural hazards: occasional typhoons 
Environment - current issues: NA 
Geography - note: strategic location in the North Pacific Ocean; emergency landing location for transpacific flights 
People Wake Island
Population: no indigenous inhabitants
note: US military personnel have left the island, but contractor personnel remain; as of October 2001, 200 contractor personnel were present (July 2005 est.) 
Government Wake Island
Country name: conventional long form: none
conventional short form: Wake Island 
Dependency status: unincorporated territory of the US; administered from Washington, DC, by the Department of the Interior; activities on the island are conducted by the US Air Force 
Legal system: the laws of the US, where applicable, apply 
Flag description: the flag of the US is used 
Economy Wake Island
Economy - overview: Economic activity is limited to providing services to contractors located on the island. All food and manufactured goods must be imported. 
Electricity - production: NA 
Communications Wake Island
Telephone system: general assessment: satellite communications; 1 DSN circuit off the Overseas Telephone System (OTS)
domestic: NA
international: NA 
Radio broadcast stations: AM 0, FM NA, shortwave NA
note: Armed Forces Radio/Television Service (AFRTS) radio service provided by satellite (1998) 
Television broadcast stations: 0 (1997) 
Transportation Wake Island
Ports and harbors: none; two offshore anchorages for large ships 
Airports: 1 (2004 est.) 
Airports - with paved runways: total: 1
2,438 to 3,047 m: 1 (2004 est.) 
Transportation - note: formerly an important commercial aviation base, now used by US military, some commercial cargo planes, and for emergency landings 
Military Wake Island
Military - note: defense is the responsibility of the US; launch support facility is part of the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site (RTS) administered by US Army Space and Missile Defense Command (SMDC) 
Transnational Issues Wake Island
Disputes - international: claimed by Marshall Islands 

Peace Boris
LT_W.J.Kamikaza
Eat C4 SUCKAH!
+0|6783|Netherlands
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
I'm looking up Karkand!

Last edited by Fuzzball_the_Shooter (2006-03-04 00:32:48)

Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
Username II
+3|6630
Knowledge of Wake Island is not dependent on United States history. It is a question of geographical knowledge. I know of many unimportant sandbars and islands in our world. If you come across a person who did not know...don't ridicule them.

I looked up "Karkand" too but unfortunately not in this world. lol I wouldn't be surprised if it was based off of real photographs, though.
Talsyn
+1|6672|Adelaide

Fuzzball_the_Shooter wrote:

O Rly?
Ya rly.
ArkAng37
+1|6842|San Antonio, TX
yall just found that out? wow....

Last edited by ArkAng37 (2006-03-04 01:58:13)

BF2Craglyeye
+72|6670|Australia

robertwjr wrote:

Just my 2 cents... First of all, if american lives were lost to help keep Australia free from ANY foe, then its important...If its not that important to any other country that has benefited from our kids and fathers being killed for their freedom, then fuck-em! I am sick and tired of having the U.S.A. send their kids and fathers to die for these ungreatful fucks...It may be that Wake was not important to you, but then again if Wake didn't happen, you ungreatful asses in other countries (example: Australia) might be speaking Japanese right now and have operations on your faces to get slant eyes.

Now let the flaming begin, I don't give a damn! You ungreatful asses don't like it, then go the fuck back to your country.
What about the Australian lives lost in the pursit of American Government agendas. The US has never done anything for anyone that didnt involve its own self intrests.

Last edited by BF2Craglyeye (2006-03-04 02:35:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard