Poll

Does China deserve to have the Olympics?

Yes27%27% - 24
No72%72% - 62
Total: 86
Benzin
+576|5968
READ HERE BEFORE VOTING

OK - at the start of everything, China promised a lot of things would change leading up to the Olympics. Frankly, we haven't seen any of that.

Beijing has hijacked all the water that used to go to the villages to fill up swimming pools and fountains and to make sure that there are no water shortages in Beijing. Meanwhile, their own citizens are without water at all in the villages and the Chinese government is not letting journalists out of Beijing to show the world. They're stopping them with MSS (Ministry of State Security) officers without ID and then when spoken to on the phone with a government official, they tell the other official they're just normal citizens and the journalist doesn't have a clue and must be confused. I saw all this go down on the news last night.

They've destroyed people's homes and only given them a pittance of what the home was actually worth. All to make room for new stadiums and Olympic stuff.

A political prisoner (and from what I have read, he isn't the only one) who should have been released in July is being held until October. They don't want him out in public causing trouble during the games. They've rounded up a lot of people and are doing this with them, too.

So what do you think --- does China deserve to host the 2008 Summer Olympics???
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
The Olympics is not some political tool for changing countries - it's a competition where people run around tracks, jump over a variety of obstacles, throw things and kick/hit various type of balls. Yes, China are as deserving as anyone else to host the Olympics. What is extremely debatable is whether or not China is fit to hold the Olympics from the sporting perspective: the smog is fucking ridiculous, as I can testify from my own visit there last year. I can't imagine how athletes are supposed to perform in those conditions.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-08-01 05:03:10)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
China Politicians Fail.
Olympic Games =/= Political Award for Achievements in the Human Rights field or something
So yes.
Benzin
+576|5968
The Olympics has been political for the past few decades ...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

CapnNismo wrote:

The Olympics has been political for the past few decades ...
They shouldn't be. Should Guantanamo Bay/The Patriot Act/Unauthorised Wiretapping preclude the US from hosting the games? Should the invasion of Iraq preclude London from holding the games?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-08-01 05:26:33)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
If Olympics had to do with political behavior, then the only place that would deserve to host one would be Mars.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

Sure. Just as much as Russia did, or the US, or Germany in '36.

As has been said, it's a sporting event. Athletes from all over the world assemble to compete. To ask anything more from them, is unfair from my point of view.

Political problems are the job of politicians, first and foremost.

As cam said, you could argue wether China is technically capable to host the games ( smog is a problem, I have heard ). Political reasons should not come into play. For example, when Russia was given the '80 Summer Olympics, they weren't really democratic either, were they ?

You could even argue that, considering their large population and influence on the world of sports, giving the game to china was long overdue, and should have happened much earlier.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

I said no.
But I do think its a good thing. It has focused the worlds eye on China and its short comings. China is changing and has changed to fit more with the west. The Olympics should push them further.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
They do.
They are A holes.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
What makes China a special case is that the reason they were awarded the games was because they'd promise to improve on all that Human rights shit etc.. but infact they've done the opposite as the games have got closer and closer.

I hate these types of things. Where the host tries to put on its best suit and smile like nothing is wrong. Like a family photo. Fuck that shit
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Yes as I've always said it's a sporting event and nothing more. Who's going to judge whether they can't host them anyway after they've spent billions preparing? The UN, the Olympic committee? Lol.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6632|USA
No they don't deserve it. But then gain, who gives a shit about the Olympics?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
It would be extremely hypocritical to deny them the games when all and sundry are dropping trou to gorge themselves on Chinese trade.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

The Olympics is not some political tool for changing countries - it's a competition where people run around tracks, jump over a variety of obstacles, throw things and kick/hit various type of balls. Yes, China are as deserving as anyone else to host the Olympics. What is extremely debatable is whether or not China is fit to hold the Olympics from the sporting perspective: the smog is fucking ridiculous, as I can testify from my own visit there last year. I can't imagine how athletes are supposed to perform in those conditions.
Sadly it hasn't been really about sports for a very long time. Research the history of the Olympics over the last century(boycotts etc). At one point it was even used to promote racial supremacy.

I agree that it shouldn't be political though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I still refuse to believe that the Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world. It's the politicians who say that. I reckon, in terms of your average person, the FIFA world cup beats the Olympics anyday. I can assure you that Europe/South America/Africa/Parts of Asia get much, much, much more stirred up with the world cup than they do the olympics. Tbh, I've yet to meet ANYONE, and I'm being fucking serious here, that even gives a single shit about the Olympics. Seriously, nobody fucking cares about the games except politicians and the media (gives them something to do)
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6416|Chicago, IL
The Olympics is a sporting event (despite what so many have tried to make of it) and should be treated as such.  Since china is participating in the athletics, they have every right to host the event.
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

CapnNismo wrote:

READ HERE BEFORE VOTING
Oops...
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6293|New Haven, CT
I voted less based on the Chinese government's actions, and more based on the fact that the conditions are not conducive to quality athletic performances.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6077|Birmingham, UK
No.

Nor does the UK, or any other country, since we all make crimes and cover it up. Plus, in 2012, we're making a Stadium... WITH NO ROOF!!1!!one!
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6528|Hungary
No.

Why?

1. Tibet
2. Communism sucks
3. Everything is made in china so it should be enough that they work for the world

Every country should have a cahnce to organize it tbh.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
No, for the reasons given in the OP.

However, it's not exactly fair for the atheletes for politicians tell them that they can't live their dream just a week out. So it should go ahead... somehow.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
The#1Spot
+105|6509|byah

sergeriver wrote:

If Olympics had to do with political behavior, then the only place that would deserve to host one would be Mars.
We have to be a little more realistic. The moon seems like the better choice.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5934|London, England

Ryan wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

READ HERE BEFORE VOTING
Oops...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

I think the IOC should threaten to ban the Chinese from their own Olympics unless China improves what its doing for the Olympics (Censorship of the Internet for one).  I'm pretty sure something as embarrassing at that would convince them to change their minds.
`MetaL*
Just an ordinary guy, Looking for lulz.
+45|5724

Mutantsteak wrote:

Ryan wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

READ HERE BEFORE VOTING
Oops...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard