S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL
the integrated circuit

or

powered flight, which wasn't perfected and controlled until the 20th century (stfu John Stringfellow)
Vax
+42|5843|Flyover country
good answers, you guys covered most of the best (modern plastics, integrated circuits, transistors, advancement in telephony,  nukes..)

I will just add the invention of modern air conditioning, the ideas of ventilation and cooling have been around for much longer obviously, but thanks Willis Carrier for perfecting one of life's great luxuries
Tripulaci0n
+14|6147
Women
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6832|Cologne, Germany

since all of the really great stuff was invented/ discovered in the 19th century ( electricity, telephone, combustion engine, only to name a few), I'd say the internet is right at the top of the inventions of the 20th century, maybe together with plastics ( just look around you and tell me there is nothing made of plastics ), and computer chips/ microprocessors. All of those changed the way we live drastically.
paul386
+22|6236
I am going to have to say that Quantum Physics was the most significant invention / discovery of the 20th Century. Quantum Physics lead to the invention of the transistor as well as GPS and maybe medical technologies (MRI!).

Yes, Quantum Physics wins.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638
Probably the Ipod.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

The Internet.

Has linked the human race together like nothing else in history. Enables people to read and view which ever content they wish. Allowing them to make their own conclusions as apposed to being feed them by bias media groups. You can make friends with and interact with people all over the planet at the touch of a button. It has brought the uncensored reality of war to peoples eyes so they can see it as what it is and not something that's "happening way over there" anymore. Which has changed war for ever.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6334|tropical regions of london

JahManRed wrote:

The Internet.

Has linked the human race together like nothing else in history. Enables people to read and view which ever content they wish. Allowing them to make their own conclusions as apposed to being feed them by bias media groups. You can make friends with and interact with people all over the planet at the touch of a button. It has brought the uncensored reality of war to peoples eyes so they can see it as what it is and not something that's "happening way over there" anymore. Which has changed war for ever.
Id say more people have TV's than internet.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

God Save the Queen wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

The Internet.

Id say more people have TV's than internet.
Yeah, but who's in charge of the content on the TV and who are they aligned to and whats their addenda?
At least with the Internet you have thousands of sources from which you can draw your own conclusions.

Rupert Murdock's vision for the world is disturbing and if that was all my Kids could get their news from id throw every TV out of the house.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard