unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Babb Master Flash wrote:

That means NO ONE under 18 who's not able allowed to make those judgements by themselves are gonna play that game.
Fixed, though they might do it anyway.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-05-06 10:04:39)

Dookie0119
+43|5771

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

I'm 14 (soon 15) and video games don't make me or my friends violent.
Mavik
+22|5769|Germany
Some of our politicians like to say, that "violence in games leads to violent behaviour, and even if this were only true for a small percentage of teenagers/children they should be forbidden alltogether".

But noone wants to abolish alcohol for the reason that a percentage of the people do not take it well and get violent when drunk.

And: Is it not more probable that a certain percentage has social/emotional problems, are unable to control their aggressions, have violent phantasies - and therefore like to play games with a certain amount of violence?
ReTox
+100|6491|State of RETOXification
They used to say the same thing about heavy metal.

I loved some of the hardest death metal you could hear... never once thought of summoning Beelzebub or sacrificing small children to "insert occult deity here".

As long as there are things in the world people don't understand they'll use that subject as a focus for blame, doubly so when it is taken out of context.
Mavik
+22|5769|Germany
It is easier to sign a law forbidding anything, than to make sure parents look after their children to reach social maturity.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado
Actually it's the exact opposite, vidoe games calm people as they play them. Can't be bothered to find the source but it was on yahoo, some school did the study.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL
quite the opposite i'd say

they allow people to take out their aggression on polygons rather than humans

Hitler never played GTA
Mavik
+22|5769|Germany
There is a rise in stress and aggression levels while one is playing such games - but this is also the case in racing games or any kink of sport matches and they drop out of it rather quickly.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

S.Lythberg wrote:

quite the opposite i'd say

they allow people to take out their aggression on polygons rather than humans

Hitler never played GTA
Didn't have to. He fought in war. That being said, the effects of desensitization to violence varies from personality to personality, with other factors including pre-existing conditions and the surrounding environment. I've always had a bit of temper, and I can probably say that exposure to violent media has desensitized me to it a bit, but I still don't want to randomly rip peoples' guts out and am bothered by ultra-violent news photos/vids, which are many times worse than anything in the media. A part of your brain is always aware that a video game is fake (interestingly, the more realistic it tries to be without 100% emulation, the more your brain rejects it), there is also a part of it that isn't.

Stuff like this book take it a bit far. It is virtually impossible to isolate kids from violent media in a society saturated with it, and even if some people were successful, there would eventually come a hefty round of culture shock. Also, people can't rely on ratings. Having seen The Dark Knight the other day, the skull-stomping Terminator trailer was approved for 'all audiences,' and if I remember right, Batman itself was PG-13, despite its pounding violence and a grotesque exposed-bone Two Face. I counted no less than five squeaking little kids at the 9:30PM showing.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
On another note, does anybody have an idea why they'd spend over two hours building up Two Face's history only to kill him once he becomes Two Face at the end of the show?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-07-28 13:31:22)

topal63
. . .
+533|6711
Young men (boys) that don't play video games are at a higher risk for violence than those that do not. The point being that most boys develop social networks; buddy-up with those they play on-line video games with. The ones that don't play games are often the ones that can't develop social networks or social skills and are at a greater risk for violence (based upon a greater sense of disconnection).
Jrdeacs
+22|5891
Well then what do racing games do if violent games influence people to be violent?

Teach them to speed?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL

Jrdeacs wrote:

Well then what do racing games do if violent games influence people to be violent?

Teach them to speed?
I've played harvest moon

still no urge to milk a cow....
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6358|California
their just kids who been abused when they were little.
Jrdeacs
+22|5891

S.Lythberg wrote:

Jrdeacs wrote:

Teach them to speed?
I've played harvest moon

still no urge to milk a cow....
LAMO
Ratzinger
+43|6384|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Its terrible how television affects people.

I was watching a show about the Holocaust the other night, and when it finished I took a number 12 bus up to Golders Green; I must have slaughtered about 3000 of them before I realised.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Anything which makes susceptible people believe certain behaviour is condoned rather than abhorred is potentially risky.
Team based combat games where you're fighting for a purpose are acceptable IMO, Manhunt probably not.

Do all the 18 year olds drive like lemmings because they're fuckwits or because they think its real life Gran Turismo?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mavik
+22|5769|Germany

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do all the 18 year olds drive like lemmings because they're fuckwits or because they think its real life Gran Turismo?
It is because they have small dicks/no self-consciousness and do not know of any other way to get laid regardless but to play real life Gran Turismo which attracts similar intellectually challenged females.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It is because they have small dicks/no self-consciousness and do not know of any other way to get laid regardless but to play real life Gran Turismo which attracts similar intellectually challenged females.
And would the problem be better or worse if motor racing never existed and there were no car driving computer game?
Mavik
+22|5769|Germany

Dilbert_X wrote:

And would the problem be better or worse if motor racing never existed and there were no car driving computer game?
This cartoon character has a point... damn it...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yay
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5746|Roma
We cannot ignore the fact that some games are violent, thus it might have some influence on the emotions of the people, but games are only the 1% of the problem of the violence in the real world.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Probably, but 1% of a lot of murders still adds up.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5746|Roma
Well compared to other things it is probably small but as i said it still has an influence on a person.
Heck, everything does.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Monkey see monkey do.
If a 30yr old bloke wants to play violent games, its probably not going to make a difference.
Is it a good idea for a ten year old to play GTA?
How about a 17yr old 40 cone a day borderline schizophrenic playing those Samurai games?
Pepsiholic
+4|5819|Winland
I think everyone who thinks games makes ppl violent should see this topic.
Hell no games make ppl violent, and as someone already said it is a higher risk for a child that doesn't play video-games to become violent than a child that does play video-games.
And I blame the parents, they let their 10yr old children play like GTA and stuff, it's not the games fault. I'd say that if ur 14+ u can play any game...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard