RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6452|California
So my brother got a new computer and is trying to set up SLI. The computer only recognizes one of the gfx cards and we can't get SLI working. We've connected the SLI bridge connector thing and both of the cards are plugged into the mobo but still no SLI.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5N-D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131232
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819115036
Graphics Card: EVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814130325
Power Supply: Corsair 620 watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … sair%2b620
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with latest graphics drivers.

Anyone have any ideas?
aimless
+166|6133|Texas
Both cards have power? Updated chipset drivers?
bf2gammer
+14|6228
im not sure the process of this on vista but.. try.

right click on desktop. go to Nvidia Control Panel. Make sure it is advanced settings. On the left there should be a tab "link" that says "Set SLI Configuration", click it. Then hit enable.

I have no idea about vista so it may not work.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

You might have to enable SLI in the BIOS, better check.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6852|Waikato, Aotearoa
Vista might not recognise SLI thru 2 video cards. I had that problem when I was using Vista last year. No SLI so I went back to XP. As far as Im aware Vista will only recognise SLI thru the 1 PCIe slot (ie 7900GX2, 9800GX2). Yet another case of short-sightedness from the Geniuses at Microsoft.
CrazeD
+368|6681|Maine
Sometimes there are jumpers or BIOS settings to enable SLI.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

The is a setting in the nvidia CP to enable SLI

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

Vista might not recognise SLI thru 2 video cards. I had that problem when I was using Vista last year. No SLI so I went back to XP. As far as Im aware Vista will only recognise SLI thru the 1 PCIe slot (ie 7900GX2, 9800GX2). Yet another case of short-sightedness from the Geniuses at Microsoft.
That's a lot of BS. I run my 8800GTs perfectly fine in SLI under Vista
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6461|The Twilight Zone

max wrote:

The is a setting in the nvidia CP to enable SLI

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

That's a lot of BS. I run my 8800GTs perfectly fine in SLI under Vista
No but there is an issue. I remember when Vista came out I wanted to go SLI so i Goggled a bit and there was issue. I think its fixed now, for most users at least but I think it was cos of the hard lockups. I'll Goggle and try to find what I meant.

Edit: Have you installed SP1 for Vista?

Last edited by .Sup (2008-07-28 02:17:54)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6699|Devon, England
Make sure the jumpers on the motherboard (near the PCI-E slots) are changed to SLI mode.

That was my problem.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

FFLink13 wrote:

Make sure the jumpers on the motherboard (near the PCI-E slots) are changed to SLI mode.

That was my problem.
may be a jumper, it may be a chip you have to flip over and lock in
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6452|California
ok thanks for the responses guys. Vista is updated with all the current updates, both graphics cards work fine by themselves (we tried each graphics card seperately and they both were fine.) There is no jumper i need to switch for SLI as there is not one for SLI on the motherboard nor does it talk about it in the manual. Also both graphics cards have power from the PSU.

To paraphrase from the motherboard the manual on how to set up SLI:

1. Plug in first card
2. Plug in second card
3. Connect both cards with SLI bridge
4. Boot up windows
5. Enable SLI with nvidia control panel.

I think the main problem is that windows doesn't recognize when both cards are plugged in, as only one shows up in device manager.  There is no bios option for SLI either.
FFLink
There is.
I think this worked for me:

Inserting the newest card into the MoBo on it's own.
Runnign Windows, let it recognise it, then re-install latest drivers.
Turn off PC, place old card in it's place, and put the newest one in the second PCI-E slot.
Cross your fingers
Run Windows

Good luck
Benzin
+576|6006
Could one of the vid ports be bad at all?

If nothing else, call the mobo manufacturer.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6452|California
Ok we only put one graphics card on the bottom and now nothing shows up on the monitor. I'm guessing the port on the bottom is bad, or is only the top one supposed to be used with one card?
FFLink
There is.

RandomSchl wrote:

Ok we only put one graphics card on the bottom and now nothing shows up on the monitor. I'm guessing the port on the bottom is bad, or is only the top one supposed to be used with one card?
I'd say the latter... Let me see if it does that on my Motherboard.
Benzin
+576|6006
Correct me if I am wrong, but which port you use shouldn't matter at all. If this is the case, then just DOA/RMA it back to Newegg.

Newegg is great about returning stuff, that's one of the reasons I did my business with them back in the States with ONLY them. So that way just in case I ever got a brick, I wouldn't have to bitch about the return process.
FFLink
There is.

CapnNismo wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but which port you use shouldn't matter at all. If this is the case, then just DOA/RMA it back to Newegg.

Newegg is great about returning stuff, that's one of the reasons I did my business with them back in the States with ONLY them. So that way just in case I ever got a brick, I wouldn't have to bitch about the return process.
Yeah, mine works using the second port
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6452|California
hmmm well thanks for checking, I guess we'll have to send it back and get another one...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard