[CF]Snowytheman
+2|6634|California
Tips for flying after the 1.2 patch...

The guide to chopper piloting/gunning in the Wiki section worked great before the 1.2 patch, however I believe that following those rules of flying/gunning are a quick way to die now...

The new patch has made flying the choppers much more realistic. In real wartime situations helos are very powerful but extremely vunerable machines, especially when air superiority has not been established. If you have ever played Helo simulations you know that the instruction manual pounds NOE (Nap of the Earth) flying into your head. NOE flying requires you to fly as low and as fast as possible using all available terrain features to your advantage. Terrain features such as hills/mountains and buildings allow you to hover behind, assess threats, pop up long enough to get a shot off and then dropping back down before anyone can lock on. You only pop up to take out known targets, popping up otherwise is usually a quick way to die. As a pilot you MUST ALWAYS know where you are on the map at all times and what escape routes are available.

Before the patch taking on AA, be fixed or mobile, was pretty easy. Fly straight at them with all guns/missles blazing and 'poof' they were toast. After the patch this is a good way to find yourself back at the spawn point with 2 white trails still burning your retinas. Most of the fixed AA positions are behind some type of fortification, so if you are low enough they cannot get a lock on you. This allows for pretty free reign on most maps. If your gunner knows the map well you can easily stop behind a building/hill, pop up, watch as he launches a TV and then settle back down before the AA gunner knows what hit him. Also, CHECK YOUR MAP! If the icon for an AA emplacement is missing it is a pretty sure bet that it is manned, know this and avoid that area or take it out. The wild cards are the maps with mobile AA as these can be located almost anywhere. Flying low and fast around these weapons will not save you if they have positioned themselves on a hillside, but it will still make you harder to hit.  Hopefully you have a good rapor with the jet pilots on your team and can get them to take these bastards out for you.

If you find yourself in a dogfight with another helo, after the obligatory long distance TV launch, close the gap ASAP. This will hopefully discourage the experienced AA gunner from shooting at you for fear of taking out his own chopper instead of you. If the AA persists in firing there are 2 courses of action you can take: continue dogfighting while dumping flares and side slipping (old style pre patch) or dump flares and dive with/into them leaving the other pilot high and dry with his own AA coming to get him (this has worked several times for me in the past couple days).

I would suggest staying away from the aerial acrobatics these days. Barrel rolls and loops may look cool but they do nothing against AA other than making you look like an expensive firework when you blow up.

I am not the best or most experienced pilot in BF2, but I have almost 100 hrs (93) under my belt and I fly with a mouse and keyboard. I expect to have my Vet badge by next weekend...Hey don't get on my case I am 34 with a wife and a job I can't play this game 24/7.

Let the suggestions/criticisms/flames BEGIN!

Last edited by [CF]Snowytheman (2006-02-19 17:16:36)

Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6666|Canada Eh?
I always fly painfully low.

That is all
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6639
Yeah, thats good advice. I never let people fly for me after the patch because they never get it. They still fly right into everything with no knowledge of their surroundings or threats. I love to gun too but I never run into people as good as me at flying. I don't mean to sound cocky but I am damn good and I know exactly how the thing handles. Although you sound like someone I'd let fly for me as you at least sound smart.
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6731|Finland
I fly chopper always alone or then I just don't fly it. AAs can't still lock-on if there's no one on pilot seat so switching to gunner seat safe chopper most of the time (even it can randomaly hit now even if there's no pilot). Nothing is really changed in public when flying alone. Only problem now is planes but if there's some good pilot in your team it really don't matter either
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6693
I dont agree about the closing the distance part helping avert AA attacks. In my experience, the AA crews will fire at you come hell or high water, and then bitch about how AA shouldnt by hitting their teammates when they were locked on an enemy. Half the time being shot at by enemy AA is a blessing, because it will miss you and hurt or kill your opponent. And the rest of the time... well, its only 15 seconds til respawn.

My advice would be to run when youre in sight of an active AA. Your fight with the helicopter will probably take long enough for that sucker to shoot at you 2 or 3 times, unless someone gets a good tv missile shot off, and even if you win then the AA doesnt even have to worry about hitting his teammate anymore, and youre still in range. So get the hell out of there, and hope to god noone puts a guided missile up your tailpipe.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6639
Actually yeah, I think in that AA sense I would disagree now that I think about it. When I get locked on I run, find out where it is, come back, kill it, and then go back to killing the other chopper. Or at least lure him to a spot where I'm free from his AA buddy.
[RSN]FSK.nor
+16|6661
But in helo sims there is noby shooting at you with eryx...
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6692|England, UK
An excellent guide mate. I got my vet 2 weeks ago at last. NOE is nearly all I do in blackhawks. I actually follow the roads sometimes at about 3 to 5 feet high and turning the corners at that height aswell. I bet the crew sometimes think they're in in a jeep. Keyboard and mouse is definitely the best control option for heli's. I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force joystick which is excellent for jets but if I use my joystick for heli's, I'm forever correcting left and right and hence less stable flight. Since patch 1.2, knowning where the fixed AA sites are and being able to TV/canon them quickly is a must. A good pilot can fly straight at the AA site at full speed, use the flares to avoid 1 if not both of the AA missiles giving the gunner time to TV or canon the mofo.

Last edited by General_CoLin_Tassi (2006-03-03 06:39:00)

General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6692|England, UK
Also regarding attack helicopter dogfighting. Its to your advantage to be higher than your opponent so when you first engage the enemy start rising at full throttle. Being higher gives your gunner a better shot with TV and canon, its harder for the other gunner to get you and gives you the edge if the other guy trys to out turn you or do a runner. Not disagreeing with snowytheman, just another tactic.
Like snowytheman's quote "after the obligatory long distance TV launch"
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6689|Germany
I think the key in owning with the chopper in 1.2 is the tv-missile.

I saw a documentary about missile copters on discovery channel,there was a commander who said that on one mission during the Gulfwar they engaged enemy tanks with their Apaches at distances of about 6500m,the max-range for a Hellfire missile is 8 kilometers.

Sure,BF2 isn't real life and not realistic,but using this idea of how they work in real life and translating it into the game should really improve helo combat skills.
dukel33to
Begorrah!
+2|6687|Birmingham, UK
Some good tips there m8, nice one!
Torin
+52|6684
I think NOE flight is all fine and well, and works on most maps... but, the problem with using an attack heli effectively with NOE is generally you have no real information on where targets are. Sure, you can rely on UAV And spots, but that isn't very effective if you're trying to cover the whole map.

What makes NOE work well in real life is their radar. They can identify targets miles and miles away, and know exactly where to shoot, so when they pop up from behind a hill, they can fire off that hellfire on a tank. However, in BF2, the closest thing a heli has to radar is the UAV, and like I mentioned before, that is not a suitable replacement for working the whole map. Attack helis worked effectively in 1.12 because AA was ineffective, and allowed helis to fly around at will, which is more or less what they need to be able to do. The pilot and gunner are constantly scanning for visual confirmations of targets, which is something you cannot do flying NOE.

So, while the idea is good, it does not work very well without some sort of radar to identify targets with.
Octavarium
+1|6703

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

I think the key in owning with the chopper in 1.2 is the tv-missile.

I saw a documentary about missile copters on discovery channel,there was a commander who said that on one mission during the Gulfwar they engaged enemy tanks with their Apaches at distances of about 6500m,the max-range for a Hellfire missile is 8 kilometers.

Sure,BF2 isn't real life and not realistic,but using this idea of how they work in real life and translating it into the game should really improve helo combat skills.
Yeah in real life, in combat situations the strength of modern AA means that heli pilots will fly just like this thread says - low and fast and only pop up to shoot a confirmed target.

Did anyone notice that the Eurocopter in Euroforce has AA missiles?! (might be a mistake...can't remember where I read that)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard