Nihil
+15|5776|Malaga, Spain
I'm a pretty crappy pilot, been too busy learning how to do other things in the game, but recently I have been making my first tentative steps in learning to fly with the aid of the A10 and the Frogfoot on Road Rage. They seem like a good way to learn to fly because they are simpler than the vanilla planes as they have no AA missiles or afterburner. So far I'm pretty pleased with my progress and in my first hour I've managed a K/D ratio of over 8:1.

So, I'm wondering, how does flying in AF compare with vanilla? Is vanilla a lot more complicated? I'm pretty poor at dogfighting but I can bomb okay. How easy to use are the vanilla bombers? I'm thinking of the fact that you have more things to worry about, namely fighter jets shooting you down, and trying to line your gunner up for shots. If I jump into a bomber in vanilla and use the same tactics as I have been using in AF am I likely to succeed or just get shot down constantly?

The obvious answer is "just try it and see" but I'm curious to get any opinions/advice y'all might have first.
Volatile
+252|6674|Sextupling in Empire

Bombing in AF is the easiest thing. Climb up to 300m, drop down/bomb, throw flares/climb, repeat.

You need to practice dogfighting, or else you'll just get raped if there are decent opponents on the other side.
Nihil
+15|5776|Malaga, Spain

Volatile wrote:

Bombing in AF is the easiest thing. Climb up to 300m, drop down/bomb, throw flares/climb, repeat.

You need to practice dogfighting, or else you'll just get raped if there are decent opponents on the other side.
Yup, that's what I was afraid of.
san4
The Mas
+311|6658|NYC, a place to live
Bombers can be deathtraps in vanilla. The safest map for the bomber is probably Oman--the enemy jets are F-35B's and there's no mobile AA. But in vanilla it's much safer to do your bombing in a fighter.
cablecopulate
+449|6708|Massachusetts.
Any crappy player can be a decent bomber in AF. I've played with some absolutely horrible players but they can manage decent K/D ratios with those jets. If you use what you've learned in AF and take it to vanilla you will die more than likely. You'll end up going against dog fighters and since that doesn't occur as much in AF you'll be at a disadvantage.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6536|England

Actually, dogfighting in AF can be good practise for vanilla, as you are only using the cannon. So you need to keep track of your opponent and only use guns to take them down: but beware of the dreaded AA!!

The AF jet tactics can work in vanilla, problem is you become predictable, and anyone out looking to engage jets rather than bomb, will pick this up very quickly.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6118|'straya
I find flying in AF is very different.

in vanilla the only way to stay in the air is to be a good defensive pilot as well as a good offensive pilot. in AF u dont have to worry about Fighters so that makes it 10x easier instantly.in my opinion if u wanna learn how to be a good pilot i say jump in the F-35 on wake or Oman. u really have to work hard in the F-35 against J-10's and Mig's. flying J-10's against F-35's is a peice of cake.
Nihil
+15|5776|Malaga, Spain
Thanks for the input, amigos. I'm not much good at dogfighting but I've shot down a couple of people with the cannons. In AF dogfighting is time consuming and can make you carelessly stray into the path of AA, so I generally avoid it. And it goes without saying that I am completely clueless when it comes to missile evasion techniques.

One other question - can a vanilla bomber hold its own in a dogfight against a fighter, or will the fighters always win?
aimless
+166|6095|Texas

Nihil wrote:

Thanks for the input, amigos. I'm not much good at dogfighting but I've shot down a couple of people with the cannons. In AF dogfighting is time consuming and can make you carelessly stray into the path of AA, so I generally avoid it. And it goes without saying that I am completely clueless when it comes to missile evasion techniques.

One other question - can a vanilla bomber hold its own in a dogfight against a fighter, or will the fighters always win?
bombers are slow and get shot down too easy by cannons
HSG
+23|6443|British Columbia, Canada

san4 wrote:

Bombers can be deathtraps in vanilla. The safest map for the bomber is probably Oman--the enemy jets are F-35B's and there's no mobile AA. But in vanilla it's much safer to do your bombing in a fighter.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6536|England

aimless wrote:

Nihil wrote:

bombers are slow and get shot down too easy by cannons
Depends how defensive you are, Su34 & Su30 evade missiles very easily. Taraba pilots/gunners in it usually go something like 30/3, and thats with all the action in 1 area.
Really, it depends on the pilot of the bomber and the fighter. A good player in the fighter plane should take down the bomber 8-9/10 times.
Avoid the F15...its the next step up from an F35 at evading....strangely, that is only when I have low ping...high ping, it acts like a J10 for me!!
iD
Hates most server admins.
+7|6626
f15 can easily evade 80 - 90% of all missiles
Nihil
+15|5776|Malaga, Spain

iD wrote:

f15 can easily evade 80 - 90% of all missiles
Are you referring to the flying upside-down thing? I've seen somebody doing that on Tabara Quarry when I was trying to shoot him down in a Tunguska.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard