Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
Transforming our system into an oligarchy would be redundant.  Flecco's proposal would only make the oligarchy more obvious and direct.  For the most part, the oligarchy that actually exists is via lobbyism.

At this point, all that can be done is to either join a lobbyist group or start your own.  That's how you truly get represented by American government.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5828
You ignore the fact that he's from Aus.

Also, technically what we have atm is demarchy anyway.  True democracy doesn't work.
Turquoise
O Canada

ZombieVampire! wrote:

You ignore the fact that he's from Aus.

Also, technically what we have atm is demarchy anyway.  True democracy doesn't work.
You appoint random people to office?...

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Australia is actually more corporate than America.  It's one of the few things I don't like about Australia.  Lobbies seem to hold even more power over in your country than they do here, since, in America, we're so large that it's difficult to monopolize the entirety of our country's policies.  I would assume controlling the interests of only 21 million people is easier than doing the same for 300 million.
Commie Killer
+192|6388
This sounds like the Old South and the Jim Crow laws. Literacy tests and what not. I mean hell, just because some guy was brought up in some ass backwards cabin doesnt mean he shouldnt be able to vote, you may know more things then him in some fields, but Id be damned if he doesnt know more then you in others.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2008-07-20 09:39:19)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA
That's why we have the electoral college, to make sure that the uneducated masses vote correctly.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5828

Turquoise wrote:

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Australia is actually more corporate than America.  It's one of the few things I don't like about Australia.  Lobbies seem to hold even more power over in your country than they do here, since, in America, we're so large that it's difficult to monopolize the entirety of our country's policies.  I would assume controlling the interests of only 21 million people is easier than doing the same for 300 million.
Only no.  Unions are more influential than lobbies, and they're only really powerful in NSW.  The worst influence we've had recently are probably the Exclusive Brethren with the Libs, and they did that by getting around rules relating to declaring donations (rather than donating the money directly, they distributed it to members who then donated it privately, meaning that each individual donation was below the declaration threshhold).  That nearly caused a lessening of the threshhold, but not quite.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland

Turquoise wrote:

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Australia is actually more corporate than America.
Dont think so tiger!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Democracy affords every single member of the voting public with political power. Do they deserve that power?
Not sure what you mean by deserve, they should have the right to it either way.
Most people don't get what they deserve.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Only no.  Unions are more influential than lobbies, and they're only really powerful in NSW.  The worst influence we've had recently are probably the Exclusive Brethren with the Libs, and they did that by getting around rules relating to declaring donations (rather than donating the money directly, they distributed it to members who then donated it privately, meaning that each individual donation was below the declaration threshhold).  That nearly caused a lessening of the threshhold, but not quite.
Didn't Howard pass something resembling our Patriot Act which also gave telecoms immunity to privacy laws (like our system as well)?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard