sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

By the way, isn't saying EVERYONE that has a different opinion than you on social issues must be ignorant, a generalization?.............just checking
Having a different opinion includes other options than "hey, nuke all Muslims".  We are saying that generalizing is ignorant, not that there are two sides of this coin, there are many in fact, you know.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Your post assumes that all prejudices are wrong. That is generally the case, but not always. Just depends on which group you have prejudices about.

As to the question: It all comes back to ignorance (assuming we're talking about a diversified group and not a defined subset (ie, all Muslims, not Wahhabists, all black people, not the Black Panthers, all white people, not the KKK).

If people have an inferiority complex about another demographic group, it's usually unfounded. Some experience with a larger cross-section of that group should mitigate that.

Lazy logic is another aspect of ignorance that drives prejudice. People making bold, unfounded leaps in logic because it is easy. See that all the time here.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

By the way, isn't saying EVERYONE that has a different opinion than you on social issues must be ignorant, a generalization?.............just checking
Having a different opinion includes other options than "hey, nuke all Muslims".  We are saying that generalizing is ignorant, not that there are two sides of this coin, there are many in fact, you know.
read my entire post Serge and address it, do not cherry pick one sentence out of it and try to base an argument....Argue agaid everything I said or acknowledge it to be true, one or the other. You are accusing people of being a lot more than just generalizing. You have concluded that there is no way they could be smarter than you on any topic.

How many times has anyone that really was serious, posted "Nuke all Muslims"..
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

sergeriver wrote:

After reading a lot of posts full of prejudice, racism and generalizations, I think that not only ignorance drives people to make comments like "Nuke all Muslims" or "Islam is a disease", or "all black people are lazy", or "all Dems are commies", and other Bs.  While ignorance is a main reason for someone to say things like those, there's probably some kind of inferiority complex.  These people arguing these BS all the time, maybe feel they are inferior to others in some way, so they need to show other people how these groups (Muslims, black people or liberals, depending on their prejudice) are inferior or worse than themselves.  They need to point out the failures of other groups to feel they are better in some way, coz of their very own failures, frustrations and miseries.  Because, they can't really think all that, unless they are really ignorant.  So, what is it, ignorance, inferiority complex or both?
I'd say anger also plays a part.  I'm a lot more guarded around certain types of black people now that I've lived on a not-so-good side of town and seen my brother victimized by certain black people.

The more I notice about the black community, the more I realize Chris Rock is very accurate in saying that there's a civil war in the black community between black people and niggers.  It's a shame too, because the good black people are very nice and ambitious.  They're seriously being held back by their less desirable counterparts.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Turquoise wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

After reading a lot of posts full of prejudice, racism and generalizations, I think that not only ignorance drives people to make comments like "Nuke all Muslims" or "Islam is a disease", or "all black people are lazy", or "all Dems are commies", and other Bs.  While ignorance is a main reason for someone to say things like those, there's probably some kind of inferiority complex.  These people arguing these BS all the time, maybe feel they are inferior to others in some way, so they need to show other people how these groups (Muslims, black people or liberals, depending on their prejudice) are inferior or worse than themselves.  They need to point out the failures of other groups to feel they are better in some way, coz of their very own failures, frustrations and miseries.  Because, they can't really think all that, unless they are really ignorant.  So, what is it, ignorance, inferiority complex or both?
I'd say anger also plays a part.  I'm a lot more guarded around certain types of black people now that I've lived on a not-so-good side of town and seen my brother victimized by certain black people.

The more I notice about the black community, the more I realize Chris Rock is very accurate in saying that there's a civil war in the black community between black people and niggers.  It's a shame too, because the good black people are very nice and ambitious.  They're seriously being held back by their less desirable counterparts.
RACIST!!!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

RACIST!!!
He did not generalize.  I kinda agree, not completely though.  See the difference?

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-07-20 07:54:46)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

read my entire post Serge and address it, do not cherry pick one sentence out of it and try to base an argument....Argue agaid everything I said or acknowledge it to be true, one or the other. You are accusing people of being a lot more than just generalizing. You have concluded that there is no way they could be smarter than you on any topic.

I was being graphic with that phrase, but you know a lot of people here do think Islam spreads only hatred.  What part do you want me to address anyway?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

RACIST!!!
He did not generalize.  I kinda agree, not competely though.  See the difference?
Nope, I said this exact thing ( different wording) and even used Chris Rock as a reference for my post.

I am still in bed healing from all of the hurtful things that were said about me.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

RACIST!!!
He did not generalize.  I kinda agree, not competely though.  See the difference?
Nope, I said this exact thing ( different wording) and even used Chris Rock as a reference for my post.

I am still in bed healing from all of the hurtful things that were said about me.
I love Chris Rock.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I was being graphic with that phrase, but you know a lot of people here do think Islam spreads only hatred.  What part do you want me to address anyway?
I want you to address ALL of my post, in the context it was written or none of it, I am sick to death of this bullshit cherry picking that goes on. Taking snipets of a post and arguing against it while ignoring the intent or the context of it.....
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

you guys list all reasons as to why people MUST feel differently from yourselves, and OBVIOUSLY, those that feel differently are ignorant, racist, generalizing, nasty, brain lazy, or assholes......Do you really not see the hypocrisy in your conclusions? You say we are closed minded and shit, yet instead of listening to what is posted or the reasons behind them, and RESPOND to that, you dismiss them as any one of the reasons previously mentioned. I didn't make a list, so I'll leave that part for those who did.  I always read your posts and listen to the reasons you give there, I just happen to disagree with you on the Muslims issue, on the black people not wanting to be succesful, etc.

No way, no how, can you respond to a post based on what it SAYS, instead, you need to interpret it differently in order to form something that resembles an argument. "Islam is a disease" needs no further interpretations.

I give you any one of my posts in the black social issues threads, instead of addressing what is actually said you dismiss me by calling me a racist, and INSIST that what I am actually saying is I hate all black people. Same goes for the Islamic threads. And why do you think your reasons must be taken for valid by other people?  This is a debate section.  Nevertheless, I never called you a racist.  I once said that one of your comments was one of the most racist comments I had read though.

You would do better to stop throwing rocks in your own glass houses.Lol?.

I have no inferiority complex or a superiority complex, I merely have opnions.Merely?  You throw your heavy opinions on these boards like nothing.  You should read what you type.  The first time I read one of your posts I thought you were a prick, then I got to know you better, and I confirmed that, lol, j/k.  I really appreciate you, but we don't agree on these issues, simple as that.

Ok, addressing entire post now.
ReTox
+100|6491|State of RETOXification
I have to believe the prejudice shown on this forum is simply because it is online and in relative anonymity... it's easier to say something against a religious or ethnic group when you're not looking directly at them when saying it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

you guys list all reasons as to why people MUST feel differently from yourselves, and OBVIOUSLY, those that feel differently are ignorant, racist, generalizing, nasty, brain lazy, or assholes......Do you really not see the hypocrisy in your conclusions? You say we are closed minded and shit, yet instead of listening to what is posted or the reasons behind them, and RESPOND to that, you dismiss them as any one of the reasons previously mentioned. I didn't make a list, so I'll leave that part for those who did.  I always read your posts and listen to the reasons you give there, I just happen to disagree with you on the Muslims issue, on the black people not wanting to be succesful, etc.

No way, no how, can you respond to a post based on what it SAYS, instead, you need to interpret it differently in order to form something that resembles an argument. "Islam is a disease" needs no further interpretations.

I give you any one of my posts in the black social issues threads, instead of addressing what is actually said you dismiss me by calling me a racist, and INSIST that what I am actually saying is I hate all black people. Same goes for the Islamic threads. And why do you think your reasons must be taken for valid by other people?  This is a debate section.  Nevertheless, I never called you a racist.  I once said that one of your comments was one of the most racist comments I had read though.

I have no inferiority complex or a superiority complex, I merely have opnions.Merely?  You throw your heavy opinions on these boards like nothing.  You should read what you type.  The first time I read one of your posts I thought you were a prick, then I got to know you better, and I confirmed that, lol, j/k.  I really appreciate you, but we don't agree on these issues, simple as that.

1. fair enough serge, as long you acknowledge that my posts are mostly about Islam, and not Muslims.

2. I didn't say that, and this ONE phrase is hardly reason enough to start athread like this.

3. I don't, I do expect that if my opinions are going to be challenged that they do so based on what is said, and not one of those blanket conclusions that you have listed in this thread.

4. Nope, we do not agree, clearly, and that is fine, but to accuse me or anyone else that does not agree with you as being lazy, racist, ignorant etc.........C'mon now..
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

1. fair enough serge, as long you acknowledge that my posts are mostly about Islam, and not Muslims.

2. I didn't say that, and this ONE phrase is hardly reason enough to start athread like this.

3. I don't, I do expect that if my opinions are going to be challenged that they do so based on what is said, and not one of those blanket conclusions that you have listed in this thread.

4. Nope, we do not agree, clearly, and that is fine, but to accuse me or anyone else that does not agree with you as being lazy, racist, ignorant etc.........C'mon now..
1-Ok.

2-I never said you did.

3-Hardly blanket conclusions, and I wasn't talking specifically of you.

4-When someone calls an entire ethnic, racial or religious group names just because of being part of that said group, then I think it's appropriate to call that person an ignorant.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-07-20 08:29:26)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

lowing wrote:

The problem is that Islam, just like Christianity and Judaism, is not one singular all-encompassing teaching. It is interpreted differently by several sects and hundreds and thousands of Imams. Just as in Christianity you have Opus Dei, Unitarians, Anglicans, Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons and others and just as in Judaism you have hasidics, ashkenazis, humanistics, reconstructionists, masortis, haredis, mizrahis and others. By referring/alluding to Islam as it if it is one wholly unified religion interpreted in one way and one way only you are damaging your arguments by being too general, opening yourself to justified criticism - nitpicking on the backward sects and blowing up and exaggerating these sects in a manner that betrays a general bigotry towards Islam in general rather than just an aversion to the sects worthy of criticism.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

The problem is that Islam, just like Christianity and Judaism, is not one singular all-encompassing teaching. It is interpreted differently by several sects and hundreds and thousands of Imams. Just as in Christianity you have Opus Dei, Unitarians, Anglicans, Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons and others and just as in Judaism you have hasidics, ashkenazis, humanistics, reconstructionists, masortis, haredis, mizrahis and others. By referring/alluding to Islam as it if it is one wholly unified religion interpreted in one way and one way only you are damaging your arguments by being too general, opening yourself to justified criticism - nitpicking on the backward sects and blowing up and exaggerating these sects in a manner that betrays a general bigotry towards Islam in general rather than just an aversion to the sects worthy of criticism.
Cam, is it not understood by now, when speaking of Islam, it is current events and its impact that is spoken of. It is the events in the papers on the news, that is being refered to. do we really have to say, "oh except for the cool sect in Canada". Ca not some shit that is posted just be understood for the sake of a shorter post, if nothing else?
imortal
+240|6657|Austin, TX
Am I prejudiced?  You bet I am.  What car you drive, what clothes you wear, the way you carry yourself, the way you speak.  I use all of these and try to get a picture for the kind of person you are and how to relate to you, or even if I should.

It is also perfectly natural, and I dare any of you to honestly tell me you do not do the same.  But I am making judgements about someone before I actually know them, so that is the very definition of prejucism.

Why do you constantly only think of it in terms of race and religion (which you do not see on my above list)?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

lowing wrote:

Cam, is it not understood by now, when speaking of Islam, it is current events and its impact that is spoken of. It is the events in the papers on the news, that is being refered to. do we really have to say, "oh except for the cool sect in Canada". Ca not some shit that is posted just be understood for the sake of a shorter post, if nothing else?
Maybe if you put this is in your sig:

"When I speak I must remind you that I refer to only a very specific unrepresentative minority within Islam whose interpretation of the Q'uran does not match the interpretation of the vast majority of those who practice Islam. I do not wish to imply that I feel that Islam in the majority of western nations, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Libya, Turkmenistan, Malaysia, Kazakhstan, China, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan and Lebanon is in anyway associated with the cavemanlike antics of Al Qaeda and the archaic institutions of the likes of Saudi Arabia, Iran or Afghanistan."

That should do it. A religion is how it is interpreted. If it wasn't then we could rightly say that Judaism and Christianity - for whom the Old Testament is canon - were bloodthirsty religions, but we would be incorrect because that is not how doctrine is interpreted. It is all very easy for anyone to cherrypick quotes from these dusty old books and state 'this was the word of God, I must follow it' but one cannot take isolated quotes from any of them as passages in these books supersede and contradict earlier tracts.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-20 12:40:43)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

imortal wrote:

Am I prejudiced?  You bet I am.  What car you drive, what clothes you wear, the way you carry yourself, the way you speak.  I use all of these and try to get a picture for the kind of person you are and how to relate to you, or even if I should.

It is also perfectly natural, and I dare any of you to honestly tell me you do not do the same.  But I am making judgements about someone before I actually know them, so that is the very definition of prejucism.

Why do you constantly only think of it in terms of race and religion (which you do not see on my above list)?
Because I don't have a problem with those on your list.  I do have a problem with racism and religious prejudice though.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
So if the US is criticized it's automatically a prejudice = ignornace, inferiority complex or both.

I however don't think "you're an idiot" is a defendable position.

A little too much generalizing on the generalizers me thinks.  Aka there may not always be a logic vacuum.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida

lowing wrote:

you guys list all reasons as to why people MUST feel differently from yourselves, and OBVIOUSLY, those that feel differently are ignorant, racist, generalizing, nasty, brain lazy, or assholes......Do you really not see the hypocrisy in your conclusions? You say we are closed minded and shit, yet instead of listening to what is posted or the reasons behind them, and RESPOND to that, you dismiss them as any one of the reasons previously mentioned.

No way, no how, can you respond to a post based on what it SAYS, instead, you need to interpret it differently in order to form something that resembles an argument.

I give you any one of my posts in the black social issues threads, instead of addressing what is actually said you dismiss me by calling me a racist, and INSIST that what I am actually saying is I hate all black people. Same goes for the Islamic threads.

You would do better to stop throwing rocks in your own glass houses.

I have no inferiority complex or a superiority complex, I merely have opnions.

Why do you respond as if all of us agreed with what serge said?  Who is "us?"  Who the fuck is the group you are addressing?  Anyone who disagrees with you?

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-07-20 22:11:30)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

The issue here is you seem to have it backwards - the implication there is that 9 sects are violent and that Canadian sect is the good one. I would have thought it was the other way around. In addition, you have the notion that a religion is a set-in-stone-edict or entity seperated from its followers. However, the conclusion then would be that religion does not change over time - not right. Islam today is not the same as Islam 150 years ago is not the same as Islam during the days of the Caliphate.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Spearhead wrote:

lowing wrote:

you guys list all reasons as to why people MUST feel differently from yourselves, and OBVIOUSLY, those that feel differently are ignorant, racist, generalizing, nasty, brain lazy, or assholes......Do you really not see the hypocrisy in your conclusions? You say we are closed minded and shit, yet instead of listening to what is posted or the reasons behind them, and RESPOND to that, you dismiss them as any one of the reasons previously mentioned.

No way, no how, can you respond to a post based on what it SAYS, instead, you need to interpret it differently in order to form something that resembles an argument.

I give you any one of my posts in the black social issues threads, instead of addressing what is actually said you dismiss me by calling me a racist, and INSIST that what I am actually saying is I hate all black people. Same goes for the Islamic threads.

You would do better to stop throwing rocks in your own glass houses.

I have no inferiority complex or a superiority complex, I merely have opnions.

Why do you respond as if all of us agreed with what serge said?  Who is "us?"  Who the fuck is the group you are addressing?  Anyone who disagrees with you?
Ohhhhhhh no Spearhead, you are correct, Sergeriver is the ONLY person in this forum that has said shit like his post implies. He is the ONLY one who draws conclusions that people on the right are ignorant, racist, brain lazy, assholes, war mongers, generalizing, etc for because they do not agree with the fantasyland idiology of the left. ...........Yeah, just sergeriver.

So, now that we cleared that up, why not respond to the post you quoted. Watcha think?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The issue here is you seem to have it backwards - the implication there is that 9 sects are violent and that Canadian sect is the good one. I would have thought it was the other way around. In addition, you have the notion that a religion is a set-in-stone-edict or entity seperated from its followers. However, the conclusion then would be that religion does not change over time - not right. Islam today is not the same as Islam 150 years ago is not the same as Islam during the days of the Caliphate.
Islam today is not the same as Islam 150 years ago?

You mean, Islam DIDN'T behead people, or stone them or 150 years ago? ISLAM DIDN'T excute women in the streets 150 years ago?
I have already said and I believe this........If you are not practicing your religion the way it is taught, but instead practice a form of it so it is convienient for you, then you are not practicing the religion that you claim. If CHRISTIANS do not follow the words of CHRIST then they are not CHRISTIAN, If MUSLIMS do not follow the word of Muhammad then they are not following ISLAM.

CHRIST teaches peace, love, tolerance.

Muhammad teaches, intolerance, violence and convertion or death.

So yeah, the crusaders were not following Christian beliefs regardless of what they claim.

The 911 hijackers WERE following the teachings of Muhammad, regardless of what YOU claim.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida

lowing wrote:

Ohhhhhhh no Spearhead, you are correct, Sergeriver is the ONLY person in this forum that has said shit like his post implies. He is the ONLY one who draws conclusions that people on the right are ignorant, racist, brain lazy, assholes, war mongers, generalizing, etc for because they do not agree with the fantasyland idiology of the left. ...........Yeah, just sergeriver.

So, now that we cleared that up, why not respond to the post you quoted. Watcha think?
Are you really that dumb lowing?  You just fit you're accusations in the very post you made them in... jesus christ.

So your logic is that if YOU'RE not racist, then no one is?  Because as far as I know, mostly everyone here in DST has come to the conclusion that you generalize and are racist in certain issues lowing.

I mean, is it any coincidence that EVERY SINGLE TOPIC YOU POST ABOUT RACE turns into a fucking 30 page flame war?  Honestly, the whole "I'm not racist, so therefore everyone who thinks I am is wrong and everything they think is wrong too" argument does't cut it....

I didnt even bother to read what you said, because you automatically assumed that everyone to the left of you agreed with what sergeriver said, which is not true, at all.  I couldnt disagree more with sergeriver on this one... yet he's an easy target, so you try to connect everyone else to him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard