bf2gammer
+14|6216

chuyskywalker wrote:

liq -- nah, it's direct hitting bf2s -- hence the problem (it's basically a DDOS)

titch -- i've blocked everything with the x-gadget referer, but simply 'not serving' the request, I still have to *accept* the request and process it to figure out it's garbage. With that many connections, even doing that is troublesome.
don't you need an api key to use it? you could just block the api key?
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6824|Texas

bf2gammer wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

liq -- nah, it's direct hitting bf2s -- hence the problem (it's basically a DDOS)

titch -- i've blocked everything with the x-gadget referer, but simply 'not serving' the request, I still have to *accept* the request and process it to figure out it's garbage. With that many connections, even doing that is troublesome.
don't you need an api key to use it? you could just block the api key?
I suspect the problem is that he'd have to accept the connection to extract the key and block the request.  The scale of the problem is the problem itself. 

Only method I can think of would be for a big router or load balancer type device (lots of CPU, probably ISP side) to do DPI and null route any packet with that string in it...

Just wait till you get your bandwidth bill!
kbno
+0|6131
Is we anywhere near a solution ??? We really miss our beloved leaderboard.
riptide2k
+7|6761|Zurich, Switzerland
Will the API ever return?

What about a 2 step plan:

1. Contact Widget developer and ask him to remove the widget until it has the needed caching function
2. Bring the API back online on a different URL, so the old widgets won't work anymore

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard