Korny09
+8|6275|Ohio
Hey, I have a few random questions that may have been addressed, but I don't want to spend hours searching...
Anyhow, here they are:

1.  What is the lowest speed a jet (say an F18) can stay airborne without losing altitude?
2.  What is the best way to successfully bomb enemy tanks, is there a timing issue?
3.  Do you have to hold down the w button to keep them airborne?
4.  Are joysticks generally easier to use then a mouse?  Or is it dependant on the specific aviator?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6396|The Gem Saloon
#2. go into a single player game and play OCS. practice bombing there and you will have it in no time.

#4. it is dependent on the player. some people are just better with mouse and keyboard.
unless im in a prop driven plane, i like mouse and keyboard, so thats what i use in BF2.

Last edited by Parker (2008-03-18 10:27:12)

JuRiXD
+1|6252|Belgium
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

1) Dont know, test it out. After a bit of flying, you should get a feel of when you will be diving. Slowing down over airfields for longer for more armour repair is a good way of practising (but you become a big target).
2) Dive bombing, anything from 45-90 degrees. All the jets vary though with regards to bomb placement.
3) Yes.
4) Depends on the user. Tried both, couldnt use a joystick so I use M+K. Generally, joystick users are much better pilots due to ease in which they can pull off advanced maneauvers.

JuRiXD wrote:

Did you read this: http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/aviator-tactics  ?
QFT. Read that, when you have a day free
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
1.  Dunno, it's just a feeling
2.  Dunno, it's just a feeling
3.  Yes
4.  Wouldn't say easier, but joysticks are definately better.
hacefrio
+4|6246
1. Dont slow down!
2. Dive bomb or drop down a little after first bomb is released.
3+4. Get a joy, good ones come with a throttle control thus eliminating your "w" issue.
Killya
+4|6293
advice from a jet whore....   

no idea on stall speeds, I do all that by feel, usually to cruise over UAV trailer very slowly for maximum wrench repair.  Its usually not a good idea to slow down for any reason actually other than that.  Speed=life in most cases unless you are in the f35 and utilize the hover stall to out turn other jets at slower speeds.  Most people don't know you can level out between 800 and 850 in the f35, hit ABs and juice up to mach 3.5 and outrun missles, the hard part is getting back in bounds at those speeds. 

To bomb you have to dive bomb basically, come at around 45 degrees and don't pull up before you drop bombs or they will spread out.  that is unless you are bombing ground troops and would like a good spread to get multiple kills .  Its a timing issue that does take practise.   Soften target up with guns on the way in helps too in a lot of cases.  One bomb might do the trick if you get good MGs on it for a second.  Keep targeting on AA and switch to AG at last moment so the tank won't hear the alert beeps and take evasive action until it's too late.  after awhile you can even learn to bank and sling bombs sideways at targets that are trying to hide next to/under cover. 

All top pilots I know all use a joystick.  the joystick gives you steady thrust and it allows programming of all the buttons to give you the most options at your fingertips.  I even macro program one of the buttons to spot enemy which helps my team and myself if the jet banks out of view...its still flashing on my HUD.  I couln't even begin to know how to do more advanced arial manevers without a joystick such as an inverted split S or a yo-yo underflip.  The f35 is the most stable and reliable fighter jet for bombing and best one to learn on imho.  Gulf of Oman is pretty flat and easy to bomb on...the biggest worry you have is the crane or trees, but the terrain is pretty open.  No pesky mobile AA on that level either.
User007Gamer
???
+21|5984|Dubai, UAE
Done espescially for Korny09 and all you other budding aviators:

1. The lowest possible speed without dropping out of the sky in an F-18 is about 290. I wouldn't reccommend you do this in battle (You would make a perfect targt for a well placed SRAW or Eryx) but its good for showing off on the BF2C Wake Airshow map. You need to fly with a very high angle of attack, about 40 degrees. Don't try this with every aircraft though, the stall speed varies according to the plane. Also, the MiG-29 is very unresponsive at low speeds so set yourself up on a good approach first.

2. Bombers have completely different bombing characteristics to fighters. Fighters are better at random bomb placement which is good for wiping out large pockets of infantry. If your a fighter you shouldnt be bombing too often. Your priority as fighter is protecting the bomber, your attack helos; and wiping out the enemy bomber, fighter, and attack helos. Those should come second to none. Bombers are very accurate at bomb placement as well as the bombs being a lot more powerful. With a bomber, you can finish off a tank with a single bomb that hits the ground half a meter away from it. In general you can count on it being destroyed even if you are not the one who destroys it. If you severely damage a tank, your infantry will be able to destroy it with a few grenades or GL (grenade launcher). On the whole, becoming good at bombing takes practice.

3. Not necessarily, you can get away with just tapping W but you will fly very slowly which is no use to anyone on your team.

4. Personally, I think joystick is better because you can be more precise in your inputs althugh other pilots may disagree. Joystick also removes the need to press W but only if you have a throttle control on your stick. However, Joystick can take a while to get used to. I play a lot of flight sims (Flight Simulator X, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, etc.) so I am perfectly at home using a stick.

Tips:

- Keep aware of your surroundings, your altitude and your airspeed.
- If you're really into flying you can look up some combat manouvers on the internet.
- IMPORTANT: There is no counter-manouver to a manouver executed by the enemy (eg. Split-S countered by a Yo-Yo). Flying in combat is all about improvisation.
- Keep calm and dont lose focus. The moment you panick you will lose grasp of your surroundings and become disorientated.
- Don't use afterburner just to get there fast, use it only if absolutely necessary. You will find yourself out of afterburner at an inconvenient moment if you keep using it mindlessly.
- Practice flying on unranked servers before moving to real competition.
- Listen to some music that you like while flying, you'll find you fly better.
- Don't try to be a hero, be smart and stay safe.

Last edited by User007Gamer (2008-08-21 01:13:25)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon

Killya wrote:

advice from a jet whore....   

usually to cruise over UAV trailer very slowly for maximum wrench repair. 

Keep targeting on AA and switch to AG at last moment so the tank won't hear the alert beeps and take evasive action until it's too late.  after awhile you can even learn to bank and sling bombs sideways at targets that are trying to hide next to/under cover.
you're not much of a jet whore i guess... because its not the UAV trailer that repairs you, rather a smaller green rectangular building with an antenna on the side of it that does the repairing...

and if you are in a fighter, flying in AG mode does not set off the rwr in ground vehicles.  you should always fly in AG mode anyway since air targets will be alerted to your presence if you are in AA mode.

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-07-16 04:56:39)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard