Yes55%55% - 15
No14%14% - 4
Only when all of the lines are ridiculously long11%11% - 3
Never saw self checkout18%18% - 5
Total: 27
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6541|Boston, MA
The question is really pretty self explanatory. You knows those self checkout registers that you see at grocery stores? I'm assuming they're pretty popular, they're at all the grocery stores and some other stores here in and around Boston, MA. If you haven't seen them, they're registers where the customers use them so the store can play for a few less employees to work the registers for you.

The reason why I ask is earlier today I was at Home Depot and there was only one register open with a cashier and for some reason it had no cash in it so they couldn't give change out. I waited in line for a couple minutes already a few people back in the line with more people coming behind me. Meanwhile there were 2 self checkout registers that weren't even touched while all the customers waited patiently for a manager to bring cash out to the register. I was actually pretty stunned that nobody went to the self-checkouts. The guy at the register was kind of young and was probably thinking to himself, "Why don't they just use the self-checkouts?" Probably not realising that if we did, he probably wouldn't have a job.

Anyways, the reason why I ask is because I always see people going for them at grocery stores and now they're even having small computers that will scan stuff for you so you know how much youre paying before you get to the register and tell you where they are. Seems like they're trying to cut down on as many jobs as possible and I don't think the employees even realize that. For that exact reason, I refuse to use self-checkout and those little computers, I'll walk around and ask somebody for help if I need it instead of using their little computers. I'm curious as to how everybody else feels about these gadgets that a lot of stores seem to be bringing in to help the customers with convenience and help themselves with lower costs.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6164|what

I tried one yesterday. The wrong price came up for a pair of jeans I was buying, so had to call an attendant. She then tried to fix the problem by signing in and re-pricing the item. She didn't make it far past the login screen before the thing glitched and she ended up in an endless loop of sign in, re-price, sign in...

I then moved on to one of the registers. And noticed that soon after they placed an out of order sign on that machine.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Home
Section.80
+447|6859|Seattle, Washington, USA

Yeah, they're usually 10 items or less and I use them whenever possible. Way faster.
cablecopulate
+449|6749|Massachusetts.
Home Depot is fucking horrible. 9 times out of 10 I am there the only registers open are self-checkout. I hate self-checkout. If I have to do the work myself so you can save money, why are the prices not going down? Give me 1% off my total at least. A dollar off, something. Another thing that drives me nuts is when I go to the grocery story and they expect me to bag it. One of us is there getting paid to do that and it's not me.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

cablecopulate wrote:

Home Depot is fucking horrible. 9 times out of 10 I am there the only registers open are self-checkout. I hate self-checkout. If I have to do the work myself so you can save money, why are the prices not going down? Give me 1% off my total at least. A dollar off, something. Another thing that drives me nuts is when I go to the grocery story and they expect me to bag it. One of us is there getting paid to do that and it's not me.
Yeah, heaven forbid you have to bag your own groceries.
cablecopulate
+449|6749|Massachusetts.
It must because I don't do it.
Volatile
+252|6715|Sextupling in Empire

Yeah, I use them, but mostly because they're always open and are the fastest route to me being on my way.

Thank god they have these at walmart. Since most of the primates that scuffle around in that store lack the cognitive capacity to operate the checkout, I'm able to vacate the premises as quickly as possible. If I have to wait in line with these "people" that have an intelligence on par with that of an amoeba, I may not make it out alive.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5972|Washington DC

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

cablecopulate wrote:

Yeah, heaven forbid you have to bag your own groceries.
Usually the cashier is bagging them =/ I help them out with putting all the shit into the cart though.

I use self-checkout if it's not a giant purchase, because I'm too damned lazy to put it all into bags
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6377|California
I love the self checkout
Its faster and you don't have to put up with the bullshit
You can also bag your own shit
stop being a lazy ass
your already at the store
why not just bag it
fucking assholes

jk <3
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5972|Washington DC

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

I love the self checkout
stop being a lazy ass
why not just bag it
fucking assholes

jk <3
why bag it yourself when you can have minimum wage workers do it
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6450|King Of The Islands

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I tried one yesterday. The wrong price came up for a pair of jeans I was buying, so had to call an attendant. She then tried to fix the problem by signing in and re-pricing the item. She didn't make it far past the login screen before the thing glitched and she ended up in an endless loop of sign in, re-price, sign in...

I then moved on to one of the registers. And noticed that soon after they placed an out of order sign on that machine.
Ahhh, good on ya Reaper, ya broke it.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6377|California

HurricaИe wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

I love the self checkout
stop being a lazy ass
why not just bag it
fucking assholes

jk <3
because sometimes when they bag it, the product is squished cause of their horrible bagging.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6541|Boston, MA

HurricaИe wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

I love the self checkout
stop being a lazy ass
why not just bag it
fucking assholes

jk <3
And why use the self-checkout register when minimum wage workers can do that as well?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

cablecopulate wrote:

It must because I don't do it.
That's because you are a lazy whiner.
cablecopulate
+449|6749|Massachusetts.
If it's on the interweb it must be true.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6581|Portland, OR, USA

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

I love the self checkout
stop being a lazy ass
why not just bag it
fucking assholes

jk <3
because sometimes when they bag it, the product is squished cause of their horrible bagging.
horrible bagging eh?

I like the self checkout, I use it frequently
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

CommieChipmunk wrote:

So do I, mostly because I am super impatient.
HAi_gAIZ
See "i g"
+20|5783
i use whatever will be the fastest. there is always some dumb old lady that takes 10 minutes to figure out what to do
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6377|California

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Oh yeah that too! and its also kind of faster cause some times the new employess dont know where the label is..
aimless
+166|6136|Texas

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Oh yeah that too! and its also kind of faster cause some times the new employess dont know where the label is..
It's also the quickest way to free stuff.
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6166|Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't understand how you guys say they're fatser.

Maybe they have faster machines in the States, but in Canada, the voice speaks at the speed of a tranqualized voice, and it attempts to explain to me every single last bit, it's THISCLOSE to telling me what computer RAM is.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6159|San Antonio, Texas
I use it here in Texas, it's getting better from it's early prototypes in Vermont. It can be a pain with all of the 'wait for cashier assistance' messages, and I know it's there to stop thieves from leaving the store with merchandise they didn't scan. It'd be perfect in a perfect world, but in reality, it's a side choice if there's a line forming at the only register open with a slow cashier on it.

Sometimes, it's service without the attitude if it's a quick and easy trip for bread or eggs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard