Volatile
+252|6714|Sextupling in Empire

clogar wrote:

all my friends who drinks those protein shakes are skinny and not that strong, i don't think they help at all
Because:

A. They don't lift weights or have a working regement

B. They don't consume the other protein and carbs that they need.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC

Volatile wrote:

clogar wrote:

all my friends who drinks those protein shakes are skinny and not that strong, i don't think they help at all
Because:

They could also be hard-gainers like me... I lift and eat a lot but I haven't gotten super big or strong after about 4 months. I mean I know I'm not gonna look like Ahnold, and I HAVE gained some muscle / strength but not as much as I'd like.
Volatile

HurricaИe wrote:

Volatile wrote:

clogar wrote:

Because:

They could also be hard-gainers like me... I lift and eat a lot but I haven't gotten super big or strong after about 4 months. I mean I know I'm not gonna look like Ahnold, and I HAVE gained some muscle / strength but not as much as I'd like.
Yes, if you have a high metabolism it is hard to gain mass.

I'm under the impression though that it is possible to get good gains, but you have to take in food like there's no tomorrow. I used to know a guy that had a hell of a time bulking up, but once he kicked his eating into high gear(meals every 3 hours) he made significant gains.

Last edited by Volatile (2008-07-08 22:33:45)

Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6473|meh-land
I just took a couple of my dad's syringes, and then grind up meat really fine and inject it IM
helps build muscle
BlackKoala
+215|6335

clogar wrote:

They aren't miracle drinks.

They only work if you provide the bed for them to work on, meaning YOU have to lift hard enough and YOU have to tear down your muscles consistently.  If you don't, it's no different than digesting hundreds of calories.

I prefer the ON Whey, 5lb tubs I believe. I have Vanilla and Chocolate, and tend to mix them (taste better that way).
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6470|UK

BlackKoala wrote:

clogar wrote:

They aren't miracle drinks.

They only work if you provide the bed for them to work on, meaning YOU have to lift hard enough and YOU have to tear down your muscles consistently.  If you don't, it's no different than digesting hundreds of calories.

I prefer the ON Whey, 5lb tubs I believe. I have Vanilla and Chocolate, and tend to mix them (taste better that way).
Thank you BlackKoala! I would give you a website where you can get some nice deals on whey protein and other supplements your from the U.S and it would be useless .

Volatile wrote:

If you're tired of shitty tasting supplements, give EAS a try. Their products taste good and are loaded with vitamins, aminos, and stuff your body needs to turn you into a lean mean muthafucka.

It's not cheap though. 36 of their deluxe shakes will run you $100.
EAS are meant to be quite good.
Everything Chittydog is correct to my knowledge on top of that whey protein is more readily absorbed by your body and goes onto your muscles more than other forms.

Well most shakes I've taken only require like 300ml of water/milk just chug it down in one go, I have unflavoured it doesn't bother me too much.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6845|Kubra, Damn it!

Volatile wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Volatile wrote:

Because:

Yes, if you have a high metabolism it is hard to gain mass.

I'm under the impression though that it is possible to get good gains, but you have to take in food like there's no tomorrow. I used to know a guy that had a hell of a time bulking up, but once he kicked his eating into high gear(meals every 3 hours) he made significant gains.
Everyone is different. My workout buddy has a high metabolism and gains like crazy when he eats like crazy. I just get fat when I do that.

@whoever is nom-noming all the carbs. Be careful what you eat after a workout, you need good carbs like whole grains afterwards, but only in moderation. You digest carbs first so eating too much of them will keep the protein from getting to your muscles for a while. It is a good idea to eat carbs before your workout as well, but also add some protein and make sure it's around an hour and a half before you start. That way your stomach isn't diverting too much energy from your muscles. It also keeps you from hurling on the weights.

If you don't want/like protein shakes, beef is just as good in most cases. It's packed with protein and tastes fucking awesome. Watch the cut of beef you get cuz some are really fatty. Eating too much fat after a workout keeps you feeling full for too long and you may not eat again soon enough.

I mentioned the different types of protein before, here's a quick guideline to keep in mind:
Whey protein - the easiest to digest so it gets to your muscles the fastest. This will feed your muscles for 2-3 hours.
Casein protein (calcium caseinate) - takes longer to digest, good for bedtime. This will feed your muscles for 6-8 hours.

Your muscles will be healing for a day or so, so you need to keep up the protein for 24-36 hours after each workout. For the most effective delivery, drink a shake (or eat a steak) within 30 minutes of your workout. If it's close to bedtime, supplement with some casein. Otherwise, make another shake after 2 hours and just sip on it. Stretch it out for up to 3 hours. This makes sure you're giving your muscles a constant supply of protein to rebuild.
Mavik
+22|5786|Germany

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Try egg whites instead?
As far as I know, the yellow contains the larger part of protein of an egg.

[/smartassmode]  ;o)
Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6488| Texas

GodFather wrote:

GorillaKing798 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

I drink NitroTech shakes. The chocolate isn't bad at all.
I'm stuck wiht vanilla, it's all we've got around the house.

Just tried to chug the remaining half a cup and almost threw up half way through
I personally find that Vanilla is one of the best flavors to block the shitty protein flavor...

Try to consume very cold too... I usually do (when I used to drink them)

Half Bananna
Vanilla extract
Blueberrys
Yogurt (blueberry also)
and about 50g of protein
Ice.

I dont remember the amounts but id do about 2 cups of regular Wal-Mart brand yogurt

Tasty.
yup, that sounds about about as good as it gets.

I use Bananna flavored weight gainer with

Half Bananna
A couple Strawberries
Yogurt(vanilla)
Ice
sometimes orange juice (everyone says thats weird, but i think it tastes really good)
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6300|Éire
You think that tastes bad...i drink raw eggs after lifting weights! Now that's disgusting.

I use to mix 3 eggs with a banana and a strawberry Yop milkshake then blend it all up...it was still pretty disgusting!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6727|Riva, MD
My brother makes one with chocolate milk mix in it.  He usually has another just because it tastes so good.

I don't even need those, I don't work out and all I eat is protein anyway.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC
Yeah, if anyone wants cheap supplements:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

Shipping is pretty fast too.

@Braddock how could you do such a horrible thing I can only have my eggs hard-boiled or scrambled with light amounts of oil.

edit: Er, not oil but non-stick spray.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-07-09 08:58:57)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
Just have a nice big steak each day and shit loads of carbs. Much tastier.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC
I'd actually go for a deliciously prepared salmon if only because sometimes I get cuts of steak that are really tough and full of gristle and shit.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
get good cuts then
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC
I had an excellent cut on the 4th of July... NY Strip Steak... mmm

I think the gristly cuts are usually flank steaks
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6457|Chicago, IL
protein shakes are useless, most people get more than enough protein in their regular diet.

avoid sugars and saturated fats, skip the shakes
13rin
+977|6489

HurricaИe wrote:

Volatile wrote:

clogar wrote:

Because:

How old are you? If you are still young, your metabolism will eventually slow.  I was 160-180 thru High School.  At 6'4" I was skinny as a rail.  I ate whatever I wanted and lots of it.  I unfortunately kept those same eating habits, but added a steady diet of beer through the college years.  Sure I had stints of working out (even got 250 on the bench), but the muscle was hard earned and very easy lost.  After wife had kid, even that small bit of exercise went out the window.  Fast forward 5 year and I am simply out of shape.  Last December I blew out my back.  It was bad.  I couldn't move without the help of heavy pharmicutial aid.  I ballooned up to almost 250.  Clothes didn't fit anymore.  My face was bloated.  My body no longer chiseled now in the shape of a pear.  And I developed a perky set of man boobs.  Enough was enough.  I've changed lifestyle habits and exercise.  I will rehab my back and I will hit 250 again.  I've lost the eating all the time urges and over 26 pounds.  I've got another 20 to go...  Don't get in my boat.  You don't want the man boobs.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6845|Kubra, Damn it!

S.Lythberg wrote:

protein shakes are useless, most people get more than enough protein in their regular diet.
Not necessarily true, go read my two posts.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC

DBBrinson1 wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Volatile wrote:

Because:

How old are you? If you are still young, your metabolism will eventually slow.  I was 160-180 thru High School.  At 6'4" I was skinny as a rail.  I ate whatever I wanted and lots of it.  I unfortunately kept those same eating habits, but added a steady diet of beer through the college years.  Sure I had stints of working out (even got 250 on the bench), but the muscle was hard earned and very easy lost.  After wife had kid, even that small bit of exercise went out the window.  Fast forward 5 year and I am simply out of shape.  Last December I blew out my back.  It was bad.  I couldn't move without the help of heavy pharmicutial aid.  I ballooned up to almost 250.  Clothes didn't fit anymore.  My face was bloated.  My body no longer chiseled now in the shape of a pear.  And I developed a perky set of man boobs.  Enough was enough.  I've changed lifestyle habits and exercise.  I will rehab my back and I will hit 250 again.  I've lost the eating all the time urges and over 26 pounds.  I've got another 20 to go...  Don't get in my boat.  You don't want the man boobs.
Oh, I know. Believe me I'm working out, which is why I'm eating a lot, because otherwise I'm both hungry and not getting optimal nutrition for size and strength gains. I actually enjoy biking, so burning fat once I reach a good size (hell I don't even want to be that cut, tree-trunk arms are fine too ) won't be terrible.

And Lythberg, you'd be surprised. They recommend 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight if you're trying to get big while lifting. Certainly most of it should come from natural sources, but protein shakes (real ones, like ON, EAS, NitroTech, Muscle Milk) are good. Especially muscle milk, that's a meal replacement right there.

Heh, I like how I know a fair bit about nutrition but I don't necessarily look the part
HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6719|Germany
Beer.
Seriously.
Volatile

S.Lythberg wrote:

protein shakes are useless...
No.

Even if you decide to not ingest them, they are still useful as weapons.

Make a shake.

Let it sour for a few days.

Turkey baster inject into waterballons.

If I don't clean out my shake mixer for a couple days it is by far the worst smell ever. An it takes days before the smell comes out of the plastic.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC

Volatile wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

protein shakes are useless...
No.

Even if you decide to not ingest them, they are still useful as weapons.

Make a shake.

Let it sour for a few days.

Turkey baster inject into waterballons.

If I don't clean out my shake mixer for a couple days it is by far the worst smell ever. An it takes days before the smell comes out of the plastic.
I once let water sit in my water bottle (closed) in a somewhat warm room for a few days.

Oh god the smell.
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6124|Tampa, Florida
Mixed in some strawberries today with my normal mix, taste was still terrible but I got it down and chased it with some water. Going to pick up som Myoplex from EAS and see if it's any better.
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6629|Medford, WI

GorillaKing798 wrote:

Mixed in some strawberries today with my normal mix, taste was still terrible but I got it down and chased it with some water. Going to pick up som Myoplex from EAS and see if it's any better.
get whey protein from gnc, thats what I use, I have the chocolate flavor it tastes actually pretty good, and I have noticed a huge difference in my bench+squat+power clean from it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard