jason85
Banned
+58|6010|Mesa, AZ
I feel that I have to say something, because everyone is so damn scared of big bad words written over the internet. The other night I was bored, going through some threads and saw one that interested me. The kid says that Sony and the PS3 fails. So I tell him he fails. I'm sorry, but to me, Sony is great. I'm sure many of you think the 360 or Wii is awesome. Good for you. I personally think they suck, but I keep quiet about, unless someone starts in on Sony. Now, I know how a lot of people on this site act, and they are going to talk crap about Sony just to piss me off, and go for it, it will show your maturity or lack thereof.

What I'd like to know is how, me, saying someone fails, suddenly has become a personal attack? Especially when in almost every thread I've ever been into on this site, people say the others fail. Its so pathetic, tbph. If something as minuscule as the word "fail" hurts you so badly that you feel the need to report it, life is going to get much, much more difficult for you. In the real world, people say far worse things, and I'd hate to see your reaction when someone flips you off in traffic, leans out the window and starts verbally berating you. If this is how you take the phrase "you fail", I wouldn't be surprised if you suicide bombed the angry driver.

But seriously, tell me if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just feeling particularly argumentative today, but I think this is just too much. If I had actually cursed the kid out, or called him some names or something, I'd see the mods point. I'd be fine with it too. But saying someone fails and having that be tantamount to calling someone a "gutter whore", for example, is nonsense.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6687|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
The world is full of internet warriors, its serious business according to all these photo's of cats and fat kids in army gear.

Sony dosent fail due to the companies success.

I dont have a ps3 I have a wii.

Life has more serious issues for you than worrying about whats happened with your "fail" incident.  Try not to let it bother you, just sit back and smile about it all, you'll be a better person for it.
Reciprocity
+721|6594|the dank(super) side of Oregon
bla bla bla
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6170|Vancouver | Canada
There is a huge amount of irony around here, I just can't pin-point it..
Reciprocity
+721|6594|the dank(super) side of Oregon
something around here is teh fail.  I know it.  i can taste it.
jason85
Banned
+58|6010|Mesa, AZ

1927 wrote:

The world is full of internet warriors, its serious business according to all these photo's of cats and fat kids in army gear.

Sony dosent fail due to the companies success.

I dont have a ps3 I have a wii.

Life has more serious issues for you than worrying about whats happened with your "fail" incident.  Try not to let it bother you, just sit back and smile about it all, you'll be a better person for it.
Like I said, maybe I just feel argumentative. I have been doing a lot better with trying to let things like this slide, but I guess the warning really annoyed me. The whole "I'm going to choose when to enforce rules and when not to" garbage that is so prevalent in the real world, I find, really stupid, especially on a website such as this, with mods that I think are generally decent guys.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6406|Southern California
Well as an honest answer to your question.... How is telling a person they are a failure NOT a personal attack?
Sure its a pretty stupid things to get worked up over, but you are still going from someones opinion about an object to making a judgment of that person.

Personally if you tell me "no you fail" I'll just think your dumb, but you are still making it about the other person... and technically putting them down.... that is what is considered a personal attack.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6243|NSW, Australia

i think ps3 is the best console, i dont have anything against the wii or xbox (except for its shocking reputation), but i dont argue and say the others are shit, they all sound fun
jason85
Banned
+58|6010|Mesa, AZ

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Well as an honest answer to your question.... How is telling a person they are a failure NOT a personal attack?
Sure its a pretty stupid things to get worked up over, but you are still going from someones opinion about an object to making a judgment of that person.

Personally if you tell me "no you fail" I'll just think your dumb, but you are still making it about the other person... and technically putting them down.... that is what is considered a personal attack.
Saying that someone fails, at this age is pretty much the same thing as using kindergarten cut downs. Its on the level of calling someone a "poo poo head". It may be a personal attack, in definition, but in BF2s "warning criteria" how is that even enough. If he is going to warn me for saying someone fails, he ought to warn every person on this site that has ever called someone a jerk, an idiot, an asshole, etc.

I could see if I had said he "failed at life" how that could be taken for more than what was meant, and how someone might take that hard or something. But saying that someone just "fails", especially in the context in which I used it, meant simply that I thought his statement sucked and I disagreed with him, nothing more. I mean, what next? Is the act of disagreement going to be regarded as a personal attack now?

Last edited by jason85 (2008-07-07 01:51:35)

GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6233|Phoenix, AZ

Reciprocity wrote:

what does fail taste like?
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6286
Honestly,why do you give a crap?Fuck emm,move on.Its the internet.

Edit:Its called constructive critisicm.Saying that someone fails without even GIVING a reason why he does so is like saying "Shut the fuck up,you are wrong,because I am right".

edit2:Are you having a go at the mods or just that particular person who reported you?

Last edited by Metal-Eater-GR (2008-07-07 02:10:16)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6507|N. Ireland
Everyone has a right to an opinion - it's just a fine line between harmless and insulting.

Personally, I can't see how "you fail" could be taken any other way than a harmless spur of the moment (opinion) joke. In contrast, I hate people who start rampantly swearing at you and won't shut up. And unfortunately, finding a server without those people is hard to find on most games. Even rFactor - I got into some guy's slipstream and made a wonderful move passed him, he had to brake and fall back. Instead of taking it like a man - he went and childishly started to swear and stop in gravel. And accelerate when he saw me in an attempt to hit me off so I would lose the race - for 6 laps before the race actually ended. I won. And he was really pissed.

I like no-swear servers but I also don't mind people expressing their opinions, but some people need to learn to take it like men and not like the little children they probably are.

GodFather wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

what does fail taste like?
Bit like SNAIL only slower
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6581|NYC / Hamburg

meh, let it go. Who cares if someone else on the internet doesn't like you and reports you?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6551|Long Island, New York
My question is: Why do people get SO FUCKING OVERREACTIVE over someone bashing something about the PS3? Whether it be MGS4, Sony itself, or the PS3. So he thinks Sony fails...so what? Big fucking deal! My usertitle's a perfect example, two people have already thrown hissy fits because of it. It's funny. I like Halo, and people bash Halo all the time, but do I give a shit? No. Get over it! Some people don't like the PS3. Some people don't like the 360. If someone said Microsoft fails and the 360 sucks (and I've gotten used to it with Sam...) then whatever, that's their opinion. Uneducated as it might be (and the same goes with someone saying Sony fails and the PS3 fail when neither certainly do), it's their right to say it - don't fucking throw a hissy fit about it.

And it's a freaking AWM. Most people here have like 20. Should you take it lightly? No, of course not. Should you make a thread about it bitching and moaning? No.

Edit: And you're just lucky you don't get called a fanboy simply for defending the console you prefer. I love both consoles (albeit the 360 a little bit more for it's software) and when I defend the 360, I get called a fanboy. That term is thrown around here like candy on halloween.

Nobody's saying you can't defend the PS3...I was just speaking generally.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-07-07 02:51:16)

Metal-Eater-GR
+490|6286
You care too much about your e-penis.Get over it.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6824|Nårvei

I don't get it why everyone must act like a bad ass on the internet, would you have answered "you fail" face to face with someone ? ... don't think so ... use the same courtesy on the net as IRL ... leave the bad ass comments and even the internet can be more enjoyable for everyone
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6514|so randum

Varegg wrote:

I don't get it why everyone must act like a bad ass on the internet
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

FatherTed wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Anybody can act hard behind their mates or in this case a monitor.
bennisboy
+829|6660|Poundland
I think people are missing the point of his reply. He was hardly trying to defend the console, it was basically just the same as replying with "no u". Hardly a personal attack.

Everyone gets AWMs for things that dont deserve it occasionally though
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6355|Atlanta, Georgia

Reciprocity wrote:

bla bla bla

DefCon-17 wrote:

There is a huge amount of irony around here, I just can't pin-point it..
Found it...

bennisboy wrote:

https://img363.imageshack.us/img363/523/llolyz6.png

Last edited by NeXuS4909 (2008-07-07 04:06:15)

Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6824|Nårvei

bennisboy wrote:

I think people are missing the point of his reply. He was hardly trying to defend the console, it was basically just the same as replying with "no u". Hardly a personal attack.

But nonetheless an unformative spamlike reply, if "no u" or "you fail" is all one can contribute to a thread that will get you an AWM ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6635|London, England
Who the fuck was the idiot that reported "you fail" as a personal attack. For fuck sake, that guy is a twat

and that's a personal attack you can shove up yer arse, you ladyboy

Ah but V-egg is right, I guess it is spam

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-07-07 04:07:01)

Madiz
is back
+26|6770
Send him this link text time: http://www.youfail.org/
https://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/Madiz991/signa.jpg
Metal-Eater-GR
+490|6286

1927 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Anybody can act hard behind their mates or in this case a monitor.
qft.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard