shadowcell_01
How 'bout dem Cowboys?
+45|6536|Flower Mound, TX
Okay so if me and my friends want to do some MINOR modding to our cars what are some good cheap things we can do?

We added an intake system already to an accent, a tiburon, next is a santa fe and a Mazda cx-7 turbo. (don't flame, if you have nothing nice to say no one here needs to hear it)

Here is the intake in the tiburon: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fKXaxf71TQ

The sound quality is horrible because it was taken on my camera phone.
i g
Banned
+876|5855|GA

neons. lots of them. rabbits too
gatorlova
Guess who!
+17|5987
rice tbh, but whatev, buy exhaust,headers,  turbo if you cant afford it
trippy982
+34|6389
Upgrade threads if you haven't.  Get a Carbon fiber hood for less weight.  I would recommend trading all your cars and get a WRX or something.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)
https://www.countryactivities.co.uk/acatalog/black_dice.jpg
VicktorVauhn
+319|6383|Southern California

shadowcell_01 wrote:

Okay so if me and my friends want to do some MINOR modding to our cars what are some good cheap things we can do?

We added an intake system already to an accent, a tiburon, next is a santa fe and a Mazda cx-7 turbo. (don't flame, if you have nothing nice to say no one here needs to hear it)

Here is the intake in the tiburon: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fKXaxf71TQ

The sound quality is horrible because it was taken on my camera phone.
really depends on what you wanna do with the car, and what you want to get out of it...

There is an old saying
Fast, Reliable, Cheap... Pick two.

If you want the car to handle, one of the greatest things you can do is buy good tires. Tires are the only keeping your car planted...any suspension or bracing stuff you can do is only there to optimize the tires and nothing you can do will make up for the fact that you have shit tires.
Be careful when listening to reviews of tires, with these more so than anything it is VERY important to look at the source... You can find people who think even the worst tires are amazing. Both the Hancook RS-2 and the Falken 615's are very good tires for the price, but you will end up sacrificing a bit of life.  Getting the tire pressure set well can also make a big difference.

Sway bars are a good idea... Adjustable if possible, even if nothing else set them both on med. till you really get a feel for it, then change the settings on one and see what happens. Remember what you had, and what you changed to, then go back again... try the different settings methodically changing one thing at a time. (well two don't only change one side unless your running ovals)

Springs and shocks aren't a bad idea either... However try and understand what they are and what they do. The spring and shock really need to work together. A stiffer spring on a soft shock can be worse then stock. The shocks job is to control the oscillations of the spring, to keep it from continuing to bounce when it hits a bump. Too soft a shock and the tire wont necessarily bounce, but the load on it wont be steady, and grip the tire can produce is direly related to the load on it. To stiff a shock will artificially raise the spring rate on compression, and lower it as the wheel rebounds.. I would rather have this then too soft a shock, but it still wont work as well. Point is the spring rate and shock need to work together. Adjustable shocks are very good in that they let you match the shock more closely to the spring, as well as adjust undsteer/oversteer... but you also get more ways to set it up wrong.

If you add an intake, try and add a heat shield. OEM air intakes don't pull air out of the engine bay for a reason hot air is less dense so there will be less of it per volume (meaning less fuel, less power)

Intakes really wont give you a ton, and a week later you may not even notice much difference... though results will vary from car to car and with the goals and cost of the stock system.

Its usually best to talk to people who work with the car you have, as different cars like different things.... but intake, header and exhaust is pretty standard for a reason.... even if you end up progressing beyond that they are things you will need anyways (well, the header would have to get changed out if you go turbo...but you could sell it and re-coupe some money...)

It is important though, not to go too cheap. While its nice to have things now don't just buy pointless cheap shit, or crappy ebay parts just to have a modded car... It really is worth it to save all the money you would spend on stuff that wont really help, and buy something bigger/better that is quality and will really make the difference.

Lastly, one of the most amazing things you can buy is practice. Spend that money on seat time... Find you local auto crosses or legal drag races and focus on really making YOU better.
Especially with autox its amazing the difference a GOOD driver can make. I have destroyed people in vipers, porsches, ect..ect.. just because I DIDN"T suck...Like wise I have been beat by some dude in a toyota solara because he was a good driver.
Find a legal venue... You would be surprised by the difference when you are in a safe environment when you can really push as much as you want. Hell the advice you will get from the better guys is probably worth it alone.... Be humble and listen.
Skill is a very hard thing to replace with bolt on parts.

Always always alway remember that 90% of "car guys" are huge fucking idiots who don't know shit, and just want to impress people with their bad ass penis car. Read as much as you can about cars, and try and learn to recognize/ignore these worthless people the best you can.
If at all possible take automotive classes at the local junior college... The one near me had a toyota sponsored program with classes on all the major systems of the car, take as many as possible it will really help.

trippy982 wrote:

Upgrade threads if you haven't.  Get a Carbon fiber hood for less weight.  I would recommend trading all your cars and get a WRX or something.
case in point... saving 20 pounds is not something you will notice unless you are already racing competitively... and if you were doing that you wouldn't be making this thead

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2008-07-05 22:20:39)

PspRpg-7
-
+961|6689

Topic title misleading. Was expecting transformers.
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5921|NY/CT

PspRpg-7 wrote:

Topic title misleading. Was expecting transformers.
lmao
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6725|Singapore
Drove this yesterday, guess the engine:p

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/Ev0/DSC00160.jpg
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6314|Orrstrayleea
Stall converter, and if your cars are auto; shift kit.
VicktorVauhn

Pea....Tear.....Griffen wrote:

Do you mean a high stall torque converter... there isn't really such a thing as a "stall converter"

and if you do, thats only for autos also...

But yeah, if you wanna go drag racing and own an auto these two FTW.
In all honesty autos are pretty damn good for drag... just stock econo car autos are fucking terrible.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2008-07-06 01:08:41)

shadowcell_01
How 'bout dem Cowboys?
It the car is an automatic, what can I do to help shift time since it still shifts.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6221|NSW, Australia

does anyone know a source to get a short shift kit for my 02 forester? ive googled but havent found anything that looks legit
c14u53w172
+31|5990|tomania
https://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7483/fuchsschwanzmn6.jpg
SealXo
+309|6527
remap your cars comps tbh
better milage and more power for like 2k, smartest thing my dad ever did
VicktorVauhn

shadowcell_01 wrote:

It the car is an automatic, what can I do to help shift time since it still shifts.

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Pea....Tear.....Griffen wrote:

Do you mean a high stall torque converter... there isn't really such a thing as a "stall converter"

and if you do, thats only for autos also...

But yeah, if you wanna go drag racing and own an auto these two FTW.
In all honesty autos are pretty damn good for drag... just stock econo car autos are fucking terrible.
Its one post above you asking that question man, if your not gonna take the time to read, pay attention and do some research of your own your not gonna get anything worth while done.
gatorlova
Guess who!
+17|5987

Ayumiz wrote:

Drove this yesterday, guess the engine:p

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/Ev0/DSC00160.jpg
h22, how was it?
shadowcell_01
How 'bout dem Cowboys?
Okay I found something else.

Is this worth it? It seems crazy to me but I have don't know for sure what I am lookin at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Tru … .m14.l1318
VicktorVauhn

No, just no....
Defiance
+438|6662

shadowcell_01 wrote:

Is this worth it? It seems crazy to me but I have don't know for sure what I am lookin at.

Sounds like a waste. It's one ebay for one, and it's a magical chip that will give you horsepower, fuel economy, AND prevent mechanical wear.

Ok, so you lean the fuel mixture a bit. Yeah, that might do it. But wait, why isn't this done by the fuel injection system already? Well, because it would increase the chance of stalls and exploding engines. Sort of.

In any case, it's a $10 too good to be true miracle item. It's the internet, don't trust it.
VicktorVauhn

Defiance wrote:

shadowcell_01 wrote:

Sounds like a waste. It's one ebay for one, and it's a magical chip that will give you horsepower, fuel economy, AND prevent mechanical wear.

Ok, so you lean the fuel mixture a bit. Yeah, that might do it. But wait, why isn't this done by the fuel injection system already? Well, because it would increase the chance of stalls and exploding engines. Sort of.

In any case, it's a $10 too good to be true miracle item. It's the internet, don't trust it.
Yeah this is pretty spot on... They do sell some resistor chips that are put in line to the MAF to change your fuel ratio, and they almost do something but eh...

Overall, automakers are spending so much money on R&D that it is ridiculous. If something works, they will do it with a couple exceptions:

It costs more then it is worth

It increases emissions

It decreases reliability

It decreases mpg

It decreases power

If something is said to work perfectly with regards to all those aspects, and it doesn't come stock on some car or another... its pretty much a lie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard