wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6453|UK

Uzique wrote:

TF2 does have headshots with the only class that really matters; Sniper. It's a teamgame, and the focus is on achieving the objective and winning the round, not getting a great kill:death ratio- so all of your 'criticisms' of the shooting are irrelevant and also ridiculous. Ironsights, what? It's Team Fortress, not Americas Army or Battlefield 2. Accuracy doesn't matter because all of the guns are rocket launchers / shotguns / flamethrowers... why would you need 'accuracy' and control of spray with that? Completely irrelevant and furthermore, a useless criticism.

Your 'spam' comment I feel is made from public experience, and essentially Team Fortress 2 as a team game only comes into its element during proper team matches- so your comment is again rather ill-made.

Your examples of a Medic/Demoman being able to clear blocks and Engineer bases is actually a compliment to the games intrinsic requirement for teamwork and cooperation- although sadly 'teamwork' in publics doesn't really extend any further than Medic combos. This game is brilliant though... and no comparisons to games such as Battlefield 2 can detract from its simplistic brilliance. It is a must-have for any PC gamer, regardless of your personal opinion. I'd personally recommend that you seek a proper team and get playing with a bunch of serious players- you'll see the game in a different light
Uzique I was going to post the same thing probably not half as well written as yours though.

No headshots.
Weasel it's Team Fortress 2 not Battlefield 2

Running doesn't decrease accuracy.

Oh yeah and it answer to the original post Orange box is pretty worth it but with the exception of TF2 the games are short-lived. I only really play TF2 out of the Orange Box. If your a Half-Life 2 fan you might as well buy it to get along with the story, I think Portal probably has loads of community maps that people have made if you completed the game to keep you busy.

Crouching doesn't increase accuracy.

No aiming/ironsights etc.

Firing fully automatic doesn't decrease accuracy, the first shot is just as accurate as the 200th.
Go sniper and fire the sub-machine gun at a wall you will see some spread.

Healing with a medic isn't skillful either? If they made it hard no one would want to be a medic, it's not like the medigun has unlimited range. At least it's a process that takes some time in comparison to getting full health immediately in BF2 where people became pratically invincible if they stood on top of 50 medipacks.

Last edited by wah1188 (2008-07-04 13:10:37)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

The $40 is worth it for Portal alone. I play that game so much and love it (especially the Portal Flash Version mappack). I haven't played TF2 much though (like all of about 15 minutes).
weasel_thingo
+74|6319

wah1188 wrote:

-
Well do you say BF2 or most other FPS's (but for some reason you think BF2 is the only one with these things) would take more or less skill if they removed recoil, things that make an increase/decrease in accuracy and headshots?

Also a skilled CoD/BF/CS/whatever player should be able to play TF2 quite well the first time and won't take long to be good at it, I personnally don't see a person who has played TF2 only being that good at other FPS's at first.

Also yes, I know this is TF2 and not BF2, and my point is TF2 takes less skill that other FPS's.

Also with your quote here "TF2 does have headshots with the only class that really matters; Sniper. It's a teamgame, and the focus is on achieving the objective and winning the round, not getting a great kill:death ratio" Which is kind of my point, it doesn't take nearly as much skill as other games.

I could then continue with my point of TF2 not needing much team work even when not playing in publics, but you seem to think that;
demoman: oi medic, heal me.
medic: k
demoman then destroys most/all of the enemies defence, while the medic basically simply stands there, watching the back of the demoman at most.
is brilliance, amazing teamwork, and outstanding co-operation. So I honestly can't be bothered saying anything more past what I'm saying in this post.

With my spam comment, I was refering the the fact there is hardly/no proper recoil, so heavy really all you have to do is just aim at the target and hold the trigger, pyro is at times just spamming the flamethrower, demoman/soldier is just spamming explosives everywhere which people at times can't do much about as the maps are quite compact and the blast radius is quite large.

Also I do... well have played matches, but with TF2 being the game it is, I simply did not enjoy it as a good player isn't really rewarded for being good. And I have done the demoman/soldier thing, I have been the demoman/soldier, and I have been the medic, and not much teamwork was needed, and even forming a good defence/offence wasn't that hard to achieve either. I also lol at the fact that most TF2 players I have played with seem to think, that TF2 is all about public games, and that playing actual matches is not what the game is about, while you seem to say the game is all about teamwork, and then saying that you don't/won't get much teamwork in public games.

Anyways as I was saying, for me the games arn't that great, but the price is good though.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

weasel_thingo wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

-
Also with your quote here "TF2 does have headshots with the only class that really matters; Sniper. It's a teamgame, and the focus is on achieving the objective and winning the round, not getting a great kill:death ratio" Which is kind of my point, it doesn't take nearly as much skill as other games.

I could then continue with my point of TF2 not needing much team work even when not playing in publics, but you seem to think that;
demoman: oi medic, heal me.
medic: k
demoman then destroys most/all of the enemies defence, while the medic basically simply stands there, watching the back of the demoman at most.
is brilliance, amazing teamwork, and outstanding co-operation. So I honestly can't be bothered saying anything more past what I'm saying in this post..
You say you have played proper league-setup matches, so why do you spout this written idiocy?

Properly orchestrated pushes, rush tactics, defensive back-peddling etc... as a unit of 6 or 8 players it is far more dynamic and 'skill-based' than public play, or simple Medic combos. The Medic in matches is far more than someone that just "stands there, watching the back of the demoman". In fact is it the task of all Soldiers, Demos and Scouts/Pyros/Snipers to watch the Medic- as he is the keystone of each and every team. It's the medics job to keep an eye on everything, to call the shots, and to keep all team members aware of the other 8 guy's doings. When the medic is killed, then an aggressive advancement can be made... and the round develops. This is just scratching the surface and laying out a very basic framework for what the Medic class is used for in proper match scenarios-- all things that you demonstrably know nothing of. For a start, in no proper PCW / league-match are there even 'enemy defenses' to be found... and the level of play is far higher than the public standard of 'Hey you generate an Ubercharge, and we'll destroy all their sentries and simply win the round!'

Seeing as your definition of 'skill' seems to arise from ones solo-Rambo esque ability, most likely linked intrinsically to some arbitrary statistic such as kill:death ratio, then I "honestly can't be bothered saying more past what I'm saying in this post" (and what I have said in other posts)- you're too narrowminded, you haven't actually played TF2 properly, and you're stuck in a BF2/CoD4 mindset. Solo skill < Group skill in this game. End of the matter really, it's as simple as can be.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-07-04 21:21:44)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6735|FUCK UBISOFT

http://pwnage.tv/index.php?option=com_s … p;Itemid=2

watch some of the matches and say it doesn't take skill or teamwork.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard