Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France

lowing wrote:

Vilham wrote:

lowing wrote:

Wow, looking back and I can't seem to find anywhere where we were talking about constitutional rights! I thought we were talking about some fucked up kid that got emersed in a bullshit teeniebopper fantasy world called MYSPACE and killed herself over some BULLSHIT boyfriend she never even met in real life.........I had no idea we were discussing the constitution here.

Do tell, which ammendment cover the "right" not get your fuckin' feelings hurt??
I believe it is her right to have forms of communication with others without them being open to harassment, hence the law of harassment... all they did was remove the to someones face part of it.

Your allowed to hurt other peoples feelings, your not allow to harass them. Simple as, its been law for a long time, so I dont see what you are so surprised about.
Oh I see so now we are not talking about constitutional rights anymore, merely what you believe to be morally right. Well that is different.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I do not use MYSPACE but can you add and take away from your list of "friends"? Can you not "block" someone from seeing if you are online. Can you not refuse incoming messages from those you do not wish to talk to? Can you not delete those that are not your friends?

As an account holder she was in control of all of here "friends" and their communications..So if you ask me she exercised her "moral right" to communicate. She CHOSE to do so with idiots such as herself.
Very good point.  I would have liked to watch that trial.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK

lowing wrote:

Vilham wrote:

lowing wrote:

Wow, looking back and I can't seem to find anywhere where we were talking about constitutional rights! I thought we were talking about some fucked up kid that got emersed in a bullshit teeniebopper fantasy world called MYSPACE and killed herself over some BULLSHIT boyfriend she never even met in real life.........I had no idea we were discussing the constitution here.

Do tell, which ammendment cover the "right" not get your fuckin' feelings hurt??
I believe it is her right to have forms of communication with others without them being open to harassment, hence the law of harassment... all they did was remove the to someones face part of it.

Your allowed to hurt other peoples feelings, your not allow to harass them. Simple as, its been law for a long time, so I dont see what you are so surprised about.
Oh I see so now we are not talking about constitutional rights anymore, merely what you believe to be morally right. Well that is different.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I do not use MYSPACE but can you add and take away from your list of "friends"? Can you not "block" someone from seeing if you are online. Can you not refuse incoming messages from those you do not wish to talk to? Can you not delete those that are not your friends?

As an account holder she was in control of all of here "friends" and their communications..So if you ask me she exercised her "moral right" to communicate. She CHOSE to do so with idiots such as herself.
I agree that she should have removed this person from her friends list to stop the harassment, she could and should have done that, it still doesn't excuse the other person from harassing in the first place.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6140|North Tonawanda, NY

lowing wrote:

The point being she CHOSE to keep going back for more, she didn't even know "Josh" in real life and she killed herself over him? She could have very easily prevented all of it by just staying the fuck off of MYSPACE, or changing her profile and moving on

You can not be harrassed online when you have the ability to simply and LITERALLY click your way out of any situation. She was not a prisoner, she went where she knew she would be harrassed....all she had to do was not go there.
Right.  Blame the kid, not the adult.

Look at the entire course of events, not at what could/should have happened.

Friend's parent and company creates profile to fuck with the girl.
Girl grows attached to this invented boy.
Friend's mom begins campaign of harassment.
Girl hangs herself.

Yes, the girl should have stopped using MySpace.  She also shouldn't have hung herself.  But, the friend's mom went out of her way to harass that girl.  It was cold, calculated, and she KNEW she would cause harm this way.  That is the crime.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France

Vilham wrote:

I agree that she should have removed this person from her friends list to stop the harassment, she could and should have done that, it still doesn't excuse the other person from harassing in the first place.
And the bill clarified that issue because it added "internet stalking" to other kinds of stalking.  I think the lady still had her day in court right?  (not sure...vacation was good)  I don't think she got a free ride.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6484|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
I would turn off the PC..simple..no more bullying
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Is there always going to be some level of bullying?  Of course.  And everyone now and then a kid walking home from school will be kidnapped, brutally raped, and killed.  Fact of life.  But there should be a reasonable belief that it won't happen.  That is: the risk should (and can) be statistically insignificant.
I don't think it is possible to regulate the behaviour of children to the extent you think is possible.

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Leading someone to suicide generally goes well beyond stupid immaturity, and when it doesn't there's unlikely to be a custodial sentence.
How would some silly kid know that their actions would induce someone to top themselves? You seem to labour under a delusion that everyone is completely self-aware, thoughtful and calculating.

ZombieVampire! wrote:

But they're two sides of the same coin: you can't combat culture without legislating behaviour, nor can you effectively legislate behaviour without combating culture (a trap many authority figures fall into).
School authorities should regulate it - not the legal system of the nation. I can see all sorts of ridiculous claims and counterclaims of bullying arising from all manner of petulent children if you introduced such a thing.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-02 11:31:26)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK

Pug wrote:

Vilham wrote:

And the bill clarified that issue because it added "internet stalking" to other kinds of stalking.  I think the lady still had her day in court right?  (not sure...vacation was good)  I don't think she got a free ride.
I didnt say she did. Lowing was however saying she should of got a free ride.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

CameronPoe wrote:

How would some silly kid know that their actions would induce someone to top themselves? You seem to labour under a delusion that everyone is completely self-aware, thoughtful and calculating.
Her friend's mother was the one who harassed her, not some other kid.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

SenorToenails wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Her friend's mother was the one who harassed her, not some other kid.
Read back a few posts - I'm not addressing the actual incident at hand here - I'm addressing children bullying. It's kind of a derail.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

CameronPoe wrote:

Read back a few posts - I'm not addressing the actual incident at hand here - I'm addressing children bullying. It's kind of a derail.
Whoops!  My mistake.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Vilham wrote:

lowing wrote:

Vilham wrote:

If you  continually beat a hornets nest and continually get stung, who is at fault YOU or the hornets??
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
So according to you the girl was trying to anger this woman? Thats possibly the worst analogy ever. If you hit the hornets nest you are angering them by threatening them.

If anything the roles in your analogy should be reversed, the woman is the one attacking the hornets nest and its not surprise she went to court for it.
mikkel
+383|6611
They should focus their energy on legislating against terminal stupidity.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
Two things strike me in relation to this story:

1. Why would you add some stranger who randomly requested to be your friend? It's akin to taking sweets off a stranger.
2. Facebook has pretty rock-hard privacy settings. Use them.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-02 11:58:26)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Vilham wrote:

So according to you the girl was trying to anger this woman? Thats possibly the worst analogy ever. If you hit the hornets nest you are angering them by threatening them.

If anything the roles in your analogy should be reversed, the woman is the one attacking the hornets nest and its not surprise she went to court for it.
You are agreeing with me that this girl could have done a million and one things to prevent this, yet you still wanna blame the other party for it...Not sure I get that.

The internet is not a captive audiance, you can come and go as you please, this girl continue to go to a place where she knew she was going to be ridiculed )a hornets nest)

but you don't like my hornets analogy, then how about this one: Would you expect that a gay guy that dressed the stereotype , could walk into a country bar and NOT get harrassed? What would you tell the gay guy the second or third time he went back to the same bar and got harrassed? Personally, I would tell him to try a different bar more suitable to his life style....but I am sure that doesn't make any sense does it?

Last edited by lowing (2008-07-02 20:38:29)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
For the most part, I side with lowing on this topic.

What the adults did to this girl was very wrong, but also very legal (well, until the passage of this law in Missouri).

The parents of the girl should have been more attentive to the needs of this unstable child.  If she was known to be depressed, then internet access was probably a bad idea.

Again, I don't think you'll find many people willing to condone what these awful neighbors did, but if we go down this slippery slope of making verbal abuse online illegal....   Well, most of us at this forum will end up in jail.
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5965|Minnesota
everyday millions of mean things people say go unreported
FallenMorgan
+53|5924|Glendale, CA
Yeah, my friend recently told me she never liked me.  My online friend, that is.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6404|The Gem Saloon

FallenMorgan wrote:

Yeah, my friend recently told me she never liked me.  My online friend, that is.
better blog that shit!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6851|Cologne, Germany

lowing wrote:

Vilham wrote:

You are agreeing with me that this girl could have done a million and one things to prevent this, yet you still wanna blame the other party for it...Not sure I get that.

The internet is not a captive audiance, you can come and go as you please, this girl continue to go to a place where she knew she was going to be ridiculed )a hornets nest)

but you don't like my hornets analogy, then how about this one: Would you expect that a gay guy that dressed the stereotype , could walk into a country bar and NOT get harrassed? What would you tell the gay guy the second or third time he went back to the same bar and got harrassed? Personally, I would tell him to try a different bar more suitable to his life style....but I am sure that doesn't make any sense does it?
how was the girl supposed to know she was being set up, I ask you ? Sure, on the web, that's always a possibility, but with that mindset, you're not going to find many friends anywhere, regardless of the medium. Of course she could have done something to prevent this, but then you might just as well lock yourself into a dark room with no windows, cut all communication lines, and never talk to anybody else ever again.

When you're a teenager, sometimes your feelings will get hurt. That's just part of growing up, and not the issue here. Everyone has to deal with that. What you should not have to deal with, however, is other adults, their daugthers, and employees setting up a conspiracy to cause you emotional distress, intentionally.

And as it looks like, that's also the opinion of the Grand Jury, hence why they issued the idictment. Wether that will stand, or even go to trial, is a different issue, of course.

Today, social networks and IM's are legitimate tools of communication for teenagers, and I think it is only fitting that the already existing law against harassment was updated to inlcude those modern technologies.

Wether these tools are proper means to meet new people, and make friends in general, is a different issue. But they are out there, with millions of people using them, and I think they should enjoy the same protection from all sorts of harassment as the rest of us.

As I said before, I believe the difference between the so-called "virtual" reality and the "real" reality is mostly a constructed one anyway.
Those are real poeple sitting in front of their computers, with real feelings, and real emotions. Why anyone would apply different standards with regard to proper conduct is beyond me.

If I set up the same conspiracy, but instead of Myspace, I used regular written letters, or phone calls, wouldn't you say that's despicable, cruel and mean ? Would you not demand that I face some consequences for my actions ?
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5837

CameronPoe wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Is there always going to be some level of bullying?  Of course.  And everyone now and then a kid walking home from school will be kidnapped, brutally raped, and killed.  Fact of life.  But there should be a reasonable belief that it won't happen.  That is: the risk should (and can) be statistically insignificant.
I don't think it is possible to regulate the behaviour of children to the extent you think is possible.
Except that it is and we know that because schools which have seriously commited to anti-bullying policies have had great success.

CameronPoe wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Leading someone to suicide generally goes well beyond stupid immaturity, and when it doesn't there's unlikely to be a custodial sentence.
It's not an issuing of know that they'll end up suiciding, it's attempting to cause serious harm.  You wouldn't necessarily charge them for the deaths, but for the events leading to it.

CameronPoe wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

But they're two sides of the same coin: you can't combat culture without legislating behaviour, nor can you effectively legislate behaviour without combating culture (a trap many authority figures fall into).
School authorities should regulate it - not the legal system of the nation. I can see all sorts of ridiculous claims and counterclaims of bullying arising from all manner of petulent children if you introduced such a thing.
School authorities have no jurisdiction outside of school, and there are ridiculous legal claims and counterclaims all the time.  A robust legal system throws them out of court.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

Vilham wrote:

how was the girl supposed to know she was being set up, I ask you ? Sure, on the web, that's always a possibility, but with that mindset, you're not going to find many friends anywhere, regardless of the medium. Of course she could have done something to prevent this, but then you might just as well lock yourself into a dark room with no windows, cut all communication lines, and never talk to anybody else ever again.

When you're a teenager, sometimes your feelings will get hurt. That's just part of growing up, and not the issue here. Everyone has to deal with that. What you should not have to deal with, however, is other adults, their daugthers, and employees setting up a conspiracy to cause you emotional distress, intentionally.

And as it looks like, that's also the opinion of the Grand Jury, hence why they issued the idictment. Wether that will stand, or even go to trial, is a different issue, of course.

Today, social networks and IM's are legitimate tools of communication for teenagers, and I think it is only fitting that the already existing law against harassment was updated to inlcude those modern technologies.

Wether these tools are proper means to meet new people, and make friends in general, is a different issue. But they are out there, with millions of people using them, and I think they should enjoy the same protection from all sorts of harassment as the rest of us.

As I said before, I believe the difference between the so-called "virtual" reality and the "real" reality is mostly a constructed one anyway.
Those are real poeple sitting in front of their computers, with real feelings, and real emotions. Why anyone would apply different standards with regard to proper conduct is beyond me.

If I set up the same conspiracy, but instead of Myspace, I used regular written letters, or phone calls, wouldn't you say that's despicable, cruel and mean ? Would you not demand that I face some consequences for my actions ?
I think all of this internet fantasy socializing is destructive for teenagers, for a coupla reasons

1. No one wants to be who they really are, so on line they do not have to be. This leads to problems when the REAL you is interacting in REAL life, a teenager has no experience at it. Because they rarley need to be themselves.

2. It is a fantasy, nothing on the internet is real, it is an illusion. Something impressionable teenagers do not need when going through REAL life adolescence. It is hard enough in real life without adding the confusion of your fantasy world into the mix.

3. Teenagers need to LEARN REAL social interaction. My niece gets home from school and will spend HOURS on MYSPace and shit. Oh sure, she can type like a mother fucker, but real life eludes her.

I can promise you this, my sons will not be on MySpace or anything like it.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Except that it is and we know that because schools which have seriously commited to anti-bullying policies have had great success.
I did advocate school regulation of the issue.

ZombieVampire! wrote:

It's not an issuing of know that they'll end up suiciding, it's attempting to cause serious harm.  You wouldn't necessarily charge them for the deaths, but for the events leading to it.
And exactly what will you charge the hypothetical 12 year old perp for and what punishment will you mete out?

ZombieVampire! wrote:

School authorities have no jurisdiction outside of school, and there are ridiculous legal claims and counterclaims all the time.  A robust legal system throws them out of court.
Swamping the legal system with something that should be the domain of school discipline is not what we need. We need the legal system to deal with drugs pushers, murderers and rapists. We can't open up a second front of bureaucratic wastefulness akin to the lawsuit culture engulfing some nations. Laws don't tend to influence culture much. Marijuana smoking is rampant for instance. You can't deal with a prevailing culture very effectively using laws. It's like our fucking nanny state here in Ireland trying everything they can to dilute our drinking culture passing law after law.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-03 08:48:29)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
I was about to write out a large response to your last post lowing but read B.Schuss post and that's pretty much exactly what im trying to say.

Lowing I don't no where you get this idea that people generally use social networking sites to meet random people they don't even know. Most people use them to keep in contact with their friends, I for one don't have anyone on my facebook friends list that I haven't met in real life.

Last edited by Vilham (2008-07-03 09:22:29)

mrblonde666
Lykes The Mudkipz
+12|5998
if that becomes a crime i better move my ass to Canada. I have probably made quite a few kill themselves on x-box live.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard