stratozyck
+35|6640
I have a "coworker" that is vehemently anti Bush, anti Iraq, etc... fine, no problem.  I wouldn't have done the Iraq thing either and I'm not about to nominate Bush for the all star great Presidents list. 

But what struck me was how ignorant she was.  This is her quote, almost exactly, "We're doing a horrible thing because we are nuking them practically every day."

Yup, read that again.  We're nuking Iraq every day.  When I said that only two nukes have ever been used in war since 1945, she looked at me like I was crazy and asked if I kept up with the news.  I wondered if I should ask her to point out Iraq, but that would just be more humiliation...

Oppose it, be for it, whatever... at least know what the heck a nuke is...  I may be wrong, did I miss a headline about nuclear weapons being used?

It reminded me of a conversation I had with one of my friends that is in law school.  He SERIOUSLY thought that we fought the UK and France in WWII.  Also, he couldn't even give ONE year in which we were involved in Vietnam.  He thought it was in the 1880s (!!!??).  Let me recap - law student, got through high school and college... didn't know who was invovled in WWII or even one year it was going on. 

Then there was the science teacher I had that insisted comets were balls of fire...

I read some study that said if you read one book a year you already read more than most people.  Romance novels don't count.  Also, it said if you read five books on any subject you will be in thet top 98% of the world in knowledge on that subject.  The bar is just set so low...

Anyone else have any examples of insane stupidity?  Don't give examples of people that disagree with you - I mean people that think Alabama is not in the US (saw that more than once).
too_money2007
+145|6316|Keller, Tx
I think you win with the WW2 guy... and shit, the nuke lady too. Those two are just too idiotic it isn't even funny. I can't really remember anything that qualifies as having a stupid friend say something amazingly stupid. I do have brain farts myself from time to time, so I might fall into that category at some point or another.

Ball of fire....????!
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

Well, I've seen nuked used as slang term, indicating that there was a serious ass kicking involved, but never heard anyone assume that we were literally using nuclear weapons.

Fighting the Brits in WWII, huh.  I think he's off on that by nearly 200 years on that one.  And fighting the French, well unless he uses fighting and liberating interchangeably, he missed the boat on that one as well.

Comets are balls of fire.  I'm sure glad I didn't go to your school.

Oh, and I know that Alabama is in the US, I only wished it wasn't. 

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2008-06-23 10:09:38)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire
My flatmate used to work in a bar in city centre Dublin that used to a big spot for American tourists and he had a couple of young American girls in, also law students as it happens. They actually broached the subject of politics and specifically the Iraq war, my friend reluctantly got involved and said that whatever the justifications of the Afghanistan war America had no right to invade Iraq, to which she replied..."well they deserve what they're getting for flying those planes into the twin towers"!

I kid you not.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6365|CA, USA
i like to employ the debate themself tactic with people like this.  Eg:  ask them an opinion and then let them justify it with what they believe are facts.  as much as you can, hold back on calling BS.  let them spew forth all the ideas that they have.  in some cases, the facts become contradictory and then they get frustrated and change the subject.  other times, you have so much ammunition that you can just refute things based on those points.

some people are more driven by emotion than logical thought.  i often see these frothy mouthed people complaining up and down using the same talking points as they see on TV - yet they don't really have a clue as to the back-story.  further, they also don't do anything to solve the problem or provide possible alternatives.  they just bitch and moan.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6455|Chicago, IL

a few out of context stats can convince most people of anything
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
My wifes car battery died and she thought it was because she hadn't changed her oil.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6365|CA, USA

Braddock wrote:

My flatmate used to work in a bar in city centre Dublin that used to a big spot for American tourists and he had a couple of young American girls in, also law students as it happens. They actually broached the subject of politics and specifically the Iraq war, my friend reluctantly got involved and said that whatever the justifications of the Afghanistan war America had no right to invade Iraq, to which she replied..."well they deserve what they're getting for flying those planes into the twin towers"!

I kid you not.
unfortunately many girls these days are clueless when it comes to what goes on in the world.  i'd wager that most women (at least in the US) are more in tune with social issues than political issues.  perhaps this has to do with the way they are raised.  The interest level is also a factor.  traditionally women were the nuturing role in a society and worried about the home.  men were the ones traditionally that hunted and acted as protectors.  perhaps this is so ingrained in our DNA.  although, i have found many type-a women personalities who are on top of things also.  way more than i am to boot!
icecold2510
+31|6302
I think you should defiantly ask her to point out Iraq on a map.

And ask her to print some news articles on nuking Iraq also.
Who cares about the humiliation when your that dumb?
stratozyck
+35|6640

Braddock wrote:

I kid you not.
Hah - but even that isn't INSANE stupidity.  Even though I don't think it was true, there were people trying to say Saddam had a hand in 9/11.  I don't like lawyers in general - they spend their time memorizing stuff that people literally made up (laws). 

Still, I don't think you should jump on the "Americans are stupid" bandwagon - I don't think that would be fair... but yeah living in America (and Alabama) I feel like there are people so blinded by stupidity.  I have met scientists who believe in Creationism still.  But I have also met a woman from India that teaches at a university that still believes in Communism.  So I don't think America has a monopoly on ignorance and faulty logic. 

I won't fault anyone that is ignorant and keeps quiet.  What gets me is people who always have opinions on things they never so much as googled (or wikiid sp?).  Also, if your a fast food worker I don't expect you to know where Brazil is. 

But my roomates girlfriend senior year of college that was a senior GEOGRAPHY major didn't know where Brazil is.  NOW THAT IS HILARIOUS. 

The school where I had the teacher that thought comets were balls of fire?  Supposedly one of the best public schools in the country.  I live in "Rocket City, USA" where there is the highest percentage of PhDs per capita than anywhere in the country.  I don't think her one mistake was a symptom of widespread poor teaching at my school - I had plenty that were just as good as she was bad. 

Really though, I bet there are ignorant Europeans too.  You guys are just too proud to admit it :-P

Or maybe you sent all your ignorant ones here... entirely plausible.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England

stratozyck wrote:

But my roomates girlfriend senior year of college that was a senior GEOGRAPHY major didn't know where Brazil is.  NOW THAT IS HILARIOUS.
Seriously?

lmfao

No fucking way.
stratozyck
+35|6640

ATG wrote:

My wifes car battery died and she thought it was because she hadn't changed her oil.
haha any idiot knows its because she forgot to put air in the tires!

I agree though women can be... erg sometimes.  I believe its because the pretty ones are used to everyone paying them attention and never disagreeing with them.  Their entire lives they get used to the idea that being pretty is enough (and it is really...). 

But I have met some girls that are on top of things (no pun intended heh).  And also Id say I've also met a lot of guys that aren't that much better than the stereotypical dumb hot chick.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

stratozyck wrote:

Seriously?

lmfao

No fucking way.
I've met someone who though North/South America was split in two because the map placed Russia and so on in the middle, and the east coast of the US was on the left side of the map and the west coast was on the right side.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England

stratozyck wrote:

Their entire lives they get used to the idea that being pretty is enough (and it is really...).  .
Agreed. It really is. Maybe less so outside of the West, and maybe less so in the US. But over here in Europe, for sure.
stratozyck
+35|6640

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

stratozyck wrote:

Seriously?

lmfao

No fucking way.
Haha yeah I can give you her facebook address... her and her husband are your posterchild for country bumpkins.  Both HAVE COLLEGE DEGREES and are absolute morons.  It made me realize that having a college degree means next to nothing because people like them keep getting them.  LOL thatd probably be harassment so I won't publish the address.

I once walked in on her husband playing Halo, and he was like, "look how great I am doing, I am playing online and I have 127 kills and no deaths."  Me: "Awesome, now why is the internet connection unplugged?"   I don't know if he was trying to pass himself off as good or really didn't know that he wasn't connected to a server and playing single player...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
I do recall someone in Wisconsin once asking me whether Ireland was off I-94. And another asking me if I would be taking the train back to Ireland (to be fair to him he was Amish).
SealXo
+309|6544

S.Lythberg wrote:

a few out of context stats can convince most people of anything
LOL
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6351|tropical regions of london
we did fight france in WW2
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6351|tropical regions of london
french people shot at americans, americans shot at french people.  thats all I see.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Nuking can apply to many things though, like sticking things in the microwave...

Anyway, a friend of mine, who just so happens to be a degree geographer, asked one day, "Is Madrid in Italy?" *facedesk*
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6455|Chicago, IL

ghettoperson wrote:

Nuking can apply to many things though, like sticking things in the microwave...

Anyway, a friend of mine, who just so happens to be a degree geographer, asked one day, "Is Madrid in Italy?" *facedesk*
if WWII had ended differently, It might have been...
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6365|CA, USA

stratozyck wrote:

I believe its because the pretty ones are used to everyone paying them attention and never disagreeing with them.  Their entire lives they get used to the idea that being pretty is enough (and it is really...).
this is the same problem i have with the Hollywood elite these days.  They spout out such crap from their mouths yet they are not necessarily the most clued in or indeed even educated.  Hollywood people tend to say whatever they want and the rest of the yes men that follow nod their heads in approval.  These yes men are afraid to buck the system because their golden goose will go elsewhere.  i mean it is so obvious. 

Further, this breeds diva-like behavior that is soooooo celebrated by the media these days.  our kids are watching TV and imitating what linds and paris are doing and emulating behavior like Real World and Bad Girls Club.  Each year, it gets worse and worse with the behavior because you want bigger ratings, right?  Hollywood is scum.  i can't remember the last time i went to the theater to watch a real good movie.  might have been black hawk down - and that was way long ago.

Also, it's like a complete blowjob fest at those stupid awards ceremonies - all the patting on the back and crap.  it's not like these people solve world problems.  they are actors.  they get paid to read lines. 

but this brings up an interesting point.  who's lines are they reading when they speak up in their private lives?  who's calling the real shots there?
syndicat111
+39|6687|UK
Worst experience was when I was talking with a friend about food, and I mention Lamb.  He turns around and says, "Isnt that a type of goat?"
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6191|Ireland

pierro wrote:

Amazingly they all look like liberals in the video.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6455|Chicago, IL

Lotta_Drool wrote:

pierro wrote:

Amazingly they all look like liberals in the video.
how many thousands of interviews did they cut out though?  I can answer all of those questions, and so can most of my friends, and most of the americans on BF2s...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard