Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6677|NT, like Mick Dundee

SVD at 2-5m...

Or any assault rifle on single shot (AK-47 and G3 are the best) for countersniping
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6709|Germany
I'm a flag defender,1 claymore at the flag,1 for my protection and me 300 meters away...

Since 1.2 my flag defends have skyrocketed.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6729|Riva, MD
I'm the kind that gets on the highest point of the map and snipes from there if it's an MEC map.  If it's a PLA map, I run around hunting for infantry.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-02-26 07:23:15)

section9
+9|6859|USA
Expert
J=MAN
+25|6670|OZ
Hmmm... I can best illustrate what kind of sniper I am by telling you what usually goes through my head when sniping:

"Right, here's a nice building - up we go" > "Now where are all those baddies?" > "Oooh, there's one! Sod! Missed him" > "There's another one - got him! But not in the head, and now he's run away - bother!" > "Yay! Kill damage assist - one point better than no points!" > "Bollocks! Boofheaded teammate just ran into my claymore! And punished me for it! Didn't know this server still had mine TK" > "Oh dear, knifed again! How embarrassing."

And THAT'S on a GOOD day.

Last edited by J=MAN (2006-02-26 08:28:58)

EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6664
A funny thing happened yesterday, I felt like playing different tactics and decided for short range sniping (probably 50m at a guess on Mashtuur), I was on the ground south of the mosque (which at the time was highly contested between teams). I got 30 kills and I was never found, surprised me somewhat. I even got a couple of snipers on the building roof to the east of the mosque.

I ran out of ammo.

When I was going to find a crate/ammo I got killed, too bad really. I had such a nice streak.

My problem is i'm still getting used to the L96, i'm so used to the M95 that i'm missing shots with the L96 that i'd hit with the M95 because of bullet drop. (aim a bit higher than target on long range sniping)
Ditto like I said earlier, hitting moving targets. That said i'm improving on that point with the L96.
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6790
evilmonkey do you know or have an idea of what is the distance where the bullets star to drop with the L96?, cause i haven't had many chances of trying out
just a couple of times in wake island and 3 days ago in dragon valley, i was sniping from hill village to woodyard and sudenly i hear a couple of shot hitting the ground next to me, then i turned around and a i saw a couple of snipers shoting at me from island farmhouse, I aim to the head and miss, then i aimed a bit over the head and i hit, but not head shot, i kill them both with out being hit, but i think if i were fighting with a skilled sniper the story might have been different.
[THC]_Phoenix
+0|6661|Munich City (Ger)
My favourised weapon is the L96A1 ... I love this one! Headshot --> dead. I alway go for headshots even on a distance of 30 meters for example. Of course i could hit him in the chest and switch to pistol (which i actually do very often in close quarter combat like karkand) but somehow headshots show more skill ^^. I love to camp, but its not that real camping with a fireplace, a tent and some beans ^^. I kill a few and when the're flying nades around my head I know its time to change my position. That's the point where you see if a sniper is a noob or has some skill. Switching between certain positions is DEADLY for the enemy, cuz the enemy knows that you're there and when he doesn't kill you he trys to take cover so you cant kill him. With changing positions you get some food for your gun everywhere
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6664

maton wrote:

evilmonkey do you know or have an idea of what is the distance where the bullets star to drop with the L96?
Good question, I personally think there is less bullet drop than the M95. However, because of the thin crosshairs it feels like more.

It's a case of getting used to it really, try doing long range sniping on a few servers. Get used to it, I find mashtuur & kubra are good maps to practice long range shooting.

You see, i'm REALLY used to bullet drop etc because the only real game where i've played a sniper consistently is in Operation Flashpoint where the bullet physics are ultra realistic. I got so used to it that when playing BF2 sniper rifles for the first time I was always aiming too high expecting my bullets to hit them dead center.

By the way, once more to plug...  I cannot stress just how good a game Operation Flashpoint is, although its netcode sucks something nasty.

I don't work for BIS. 
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6790
well, my biggest problem is that i rarely have the chance to get a long shot cause the way i play as sniper and when i had the long shot most the times i been carying the M95 and i'm so use to it that i don't have major problems with the shots.
well, i think i'll have to go exclusive with the L96 into a big map and snipe camp an enemy flag just to see the distance of the drop.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6664
Maton, the best way to experience bullet drop is to take a counter-sniping role. They're the most likely to be still so you can practice long range sniping on. Of course, any sniper worth his salt will bug out the moment he hears any bullets wizzing nearby, but then... there aren't a lot of good snipers out there.. 
v1l2u5
+1|6790
we should play a sniper only server, that was would be a blast.
nelson496
+3|6797
I like to find a good spot, place lots of claymore, shoot with rifle, aim for head.   Most of the time in close combat; upclose I would put you down.  Takes practice.  With the m24 I can hit targets easy.  With the L96, the same thing.  The m95 is good but not too good.  Some people just dont know how to use it.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6799|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
to me, the 96's drop as of now seems extremely close to that of the old 24 (1.12). I donot have enough time on the 96 to make an educated opinion , however, prematurly I find the drop is very close to it.
moose_rider
+30|6653|Puyallup, WA
I like to rush in close into the action with my l33t PKM...
Ballistix5
+36|6787|Forster NSW
I hate getting killed by snipers ><

But it sure is fun every once in a while
I have to Snipe for my clan somtimes and its allways interesting, I pick a building thats random with a ladder and a good vantage point and As well as Picking off people I try to cover some of my own guys If I can and spot things for them.

Last night there was 3 of our guys and one of those PKM nubs running behind them and I just fired at him madly to try and get him to duck.

Lotsa fun
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6790
i was trying the L96 bullet drop last night i was surprise how much it is, i was at wake island and i respawn at the small island and when i made my first shot i missed, even thoug the enemy was stading next to a tank (at the north shore of the main island), then i aimed a bit over the head and i got a hit signal, i killed him at the 3rd shot, after that started a sniping rampage only stoped by an enemy artyllery, i killed 15 guys i didn't get hit a single time by ALL the snipers that were at the main island.
belikeron
+-1|6645
Depends if its a fairly even game I like to be about 200 yards out from contested flags with an open view of the flag, since people love to dive over bunkers and hide on the flag side of the.....*boom* head shot. Also as i head out from a base one away from the "front lines" so to speak one contested back and will likely be the next hit if we get over run I lay my claymores around the flag, again for when people dive over the bunker to cap the flag, *boom*

If we are getting slaugtered, I stay about 50 yards back from our closest base to guard the flag.

My favorite map BAR NONE to be a sniper is kubra dam my god is awsome. Its the 2-3 bases north of the damn that are always hot, where as all the others are generally stable. So you find a nice secluded spot on the damn with very minmal traffic, surround yourself with claymores, and just more or less strafe the 3 bases and get people as they get too and frow.

From my experiance minus the people who are chopper whores the damn flag gets very little traffic.
Bf2specialforces
+1|6659

asbad wrote:

i used to be the sniper 1000m away, well really far away, dunno bout distance.

Im now becoming like the guy above me^
Constantly Planting claymores around enemy base, hoping to get the vet-explosives badge
i got my vet badge last saturday with claymores takes long time though so go on a high score server the rounds take like 1 hour
RSI_paratrooper
+2|6658
I have had my best rounds on SF: Warlord and Surge. On warlord if you are playing Brit you don't even need to prone or hide! Got my vet badge there without using the M95 or L96a1. The key to high sniper scores on these levels is: be on the loosing team. Why chase the enemy all over the map- let them come to you they will be so busy taking out the obvious targets they miss the hidden sniper for ages.

As for the standard maps, I have a good spot for when the yanks have been pushed back to TV station and are sniping from the roof or waiting for the chopper. They never seem to think to look there even though you would be perfectly visible without a scope (there is no cover).

Generally I like to snipe from well away from anywhere that a UAV is likely to be deployed. Also away from building roofs and the tops of mountains- as a sniper they are the very first places I check and as any other kit I check them as a matter of routine. I haven't been up a crane for over a month and then there is only one map I ever use the crane on as a) nobody seems to shoot for shit on that map b) there is nothing anywhere else on the map that gives the enemy a good angle to shoot me from. Unfortunately it still violates my aversion to UAV.

I only ever drop 2 clays- no point spamming them. I will drop more if someone runs over one and I've been resupplied. At the moment I'm not using the M95 or L96a1 because I'm focusing purely on headshots. It doesn't really matter what rifle you use if you aim for the head. The sound is less likely to attract unwanted attention too- I don't sound like a _1337_ sniper- must just be a n00b all part of the camoflage!

I am the sniper that spots before I shoot. That way if I die someone else knows where the enemy is going for the next 15 seconds.

Dalian plant is a great place to be a US sniper as a squad leader. There are a couple of awesome places to get hid from which you can cover a flag with fire, you can be a US spawn point and you can occasionally cap a nearby flag when the Chinese APC bugs out.
sfg-Ice__
+4|6665
I would call myself a sneaky sniper...I like to get close..I like to blow up barrels with people near em (doesn't give away my position with a hit indicator),  I like to cap the flags myself...I like nailing people in the head within 5meters...If you can do it with a sniper..i do it
[DR2nd]Dr.Smoov
+9|6714|North Kackalaka
It depends on what mood I am in.  Some nights I wanna get in the thick of it, so I combat snipe on Strike, US left path toward suburbs and back down to market or square.  If I have a good connection and my computer isn't acting up I can get in the high twentys easy.  But other times I to take it easy, so I defend the tv sation on Warlord from the balcony acrooss the street, high teens or low twentys, but I usually talk to my girlfreind at the same time. I agree with SinnFein it is a lot more fun to get it the hard way.  I never get tried of posting this link
http://www.dr2nd.com/forums/index.php?a … &id=19
and here is one to my stats.
http://www.bf2s.com/player/50233892/

Last edited by [DR2nd]Dr.Smoov (2006-02-28 21:44:56)

Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6764|Toronto, ON
Close range using the sniper kit because it improves my reflexes for other FPS'.
Alpha as fuck.
slash_clown
+9|6479|Australia

Nyte wrote:

Close range using the sniper kit because it improves my reflexes for other FPS'.
Wow! How many pages back in history did you find this dead thread?
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6764|Toronto, ON
"Looks at dead thread"

BUZZ
Clear!  Alright you're good to go!
Alpha as fuck.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard