Poll

Do you think Speculation trading should be banned?

Yes33%33% - 5
No33%33% - 5
Maybe13%13% - 2
Other(Specify)20%20% - 3
Total: 15
David.P
Banned
+649|6245
Do you think Speculation trading should be banned?

EDIT: To clear up some misconceptions. I null voted on this because I have no opinion.

Last edited by David.P (2008-06-14 07:10:51)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina
It depends on the stock items you are speculating with.  Food and oil speculation should be banned or at least punished.  Other goods that don't affect your daily life so directly are ok.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Only communists want to ban speculation trading. Are you a communist David? Are you?

That said, trading based on food raises a few moral questions, but on the whole, no.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

ghettoperson wrote:

Only communists want to ban speculation trading. Are you a communist David? Are you?

That said, trading based on food raises a few moral questions, but on the whole, no.
In a perfect world you wouldn't need to ban anything.  But since food prices are getting higher and higher, and people are starving in a lot of countries, specially in Africa, you don't need to worsen the situation with people speculating with food stocks.  The same goes for oil, since every time oil increases its prices, that makes food prices more expensive.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
I think markets for pivotal finite commodities like oil need to be redesigned. It's too easy to rape the masses financially at the moment.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-06-14 06:42:16)

Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6154|Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

I think markets for pivotal finite commodities like oil need to be redesigned. It's too easy to rape the masses financially at the moment.
I think we should just let the rich people buy up commodities and control them and not allow a system where the average person can buy and sell without needing millions of dollars.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
I'm with David P, I think the free market is inherently evil - especially if it means Americans have to pay for stuff.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6200|NSW, Australia

i voted other because i dont know what it is?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
Other.  Not banned, but what can be purchased on margin should be adjusted perhaps.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone
About the only thing I think should be banned is the ability to sell something you don't own.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6436|Melbourne - Home of Football
No, let the invisible hand decide.
paul386
+22|6216
People typically love to find a scape goat to blame current economic difficulties on. They don't look at the real issue of the problem which is government regulation. When government regulation causes issues like this, it is illogical to think that even more government regulation will fix the issue.

"Let me end my talk by abusing slightly my status as an official representative of the Federal Reserve System. I would like to say to Milton and Anna: Regarding the Great Depression. You're right, we did it. We're very sorry." - Ben Bernanke, Chairman of the Federal Reserve

"Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government."
- Milton Friedman

"Most of the energy of political work is devoted to correcting the effects of mismanagement of government. "
- Milton Friedman
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6693|Eastern PA
The regulations need to be reinstated, but not banned outright.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina

paul386 wrote:

People typically love to find a scape goat to blame current economic difficulties on. They don't look at the real issue of the problem which is government regulation. When government regulation causes issues like this, it is illogical to think that even more government regulation will fix the issue.

"Let me end my talk by abusing slightly my status as an official representative of the Federal Reserve System. I would like to say to Milton and Anna: Regarding the Great Depression. You're right, we did it. We're very sorry." - Ben Bernanke, Chairman of the Federal Reserve

"Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government."
- Milton Friedman

"Most of the energy of political work is devoted to correcting the effects of mismanagement of government. "
- Milton Friedman
The Enron loophole is the majority of the reason why oil is so expensive right now.  It was a LACK of regulation that caused this.

Speculation should be regulated more strictly, not banned.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard