SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6123|North Tonawanda, NY

HurricaИe wrote:

warhero1 wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Aye, but like I said I'm also leaning a lot towards computer science. I don't think I've got the math for engineering real fuckin' annoying that my performance in middle school has essentially affected my entire high school career.
That happened to me as well, I didn't do well on the algebra pre-test in Middle school so I couldn't take Algebra 1 in 8th grade, therefore couldn't take Calculus...
Tell me about it. Completely fuckin' ridiculous.
You do know that colleges will force you to take the math required for the major?

I laughed when you said you didn't have the math for engineering.  Of course you don't.  You're still in high school!  If you want to do engineering, your university will teach you the math, and they will teach you much more than your high school can.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

warhero1 wrote:

I know! It also screwed me up partially in college now.  I had to take College Algebra first semester and now Pre-calculus.  WTF I did this shit in high school...
What college are you going to?  If you got good grades on this stuff in high school, you could go talk to some department heads and try to test out of the classes.
warhero1
Eon8 failure:O
+12|6441

SenorToenails wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

warhero1 wrote:

That happened to me as well, I didn't do well on the algebra pre-test in Middle school so I couldn't take Algebra 1 in 8th grade, therefore couldn't take Calculus...
You do know that colleges will force you to take the math required for the major?

I laughed when you said you didn't have the math for engineering.  Of course you don't.  You're still in high school!  If you want to do engineering, your university will teach you the math, and they will teach you much more than your high school can.
Yeah Computer science requires a lot of math too, not so much as Engineering but still a few Calculus classes.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5954|Washington DC

SenorToenails wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

warhero1 wrote:

I know, it's just like... I fear that because I don't take as advanced math courses as others, that my application won't be as strong as others.
warhero1
+12|6441

SenorToenails wrote:

warhero1 wrote:

I know! It also screwed me up partially in college now.  I had to take College Algebra first semester and now Pre-calculus.  WTF I did this shit in high school...
What college are you going to?  If you got good grades on this stuff in high school, you could go talk to some department heads and try to test out of the classes.
I go to some shit private division 3 college in fayetteville, NC,  Methodist University.  Piece of crap tbh, $30,000 a year.  The biggest major is Pro Golf Management ffs. 

Yeah I could have tested out but taking algebra would refresh my memory.  It was an easy A though.  It's all good now, I wasn't going to double major if I can't graduate in 4 years.

Last edited by warhero1 (2008-06-11 20:56:36)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

HurricaИe wrote:

I know, it's just like... I fear that because I don't take as advanced math courses as others, that my application won't be as strong as others.
Don't look at it that way.  Get a well-rounded application and you'll get in somewhere nice.  Don't worry about the level of math you've taken as long as you continue to take math classes.

Where do you want to go to school?
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5954|Washington DC

SenorToenails wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Don't look at it that way.  Get a well-rounded application and you'll get in somewhere nice.  Don't worry about the level of math you've taken as long as you continue to take math classes.

Where do you want to go to school?
idk, this is just a working list... UMD College Park, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech (I visited there, it's awesome), gonna check out Rensselaer and maybe Uni of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign. Uni of Texas @ Austin would be cool as well, but I hear it's very tough for out of state applicants to get in cause everyone in Texas seems to apply there.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6563|USA
take APES. its a joke. seriously.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT
I heard it was more Al Gore inspired propaganda than an actual academic subject.
chaosdragon001
Whee
+53|6501|Los Angeles, California
I dunno, I took AP bio and it was fine.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6563|USA
nuk you're absolutely wrong. al gore is a retard who knows nothing about the environment. perhaps your school has a dumbfuck for a teacher, but its not propaganda at all. its literally about the environment, with only a little bit about how we're fucking it up.
Benzin
+576|5991
See what your Uni requires for a science in your degree field. If they need a lot of lab hours, go to AP Bio. I took it when I was in HS and it knocked out all 8 hours of lab and all 8 hours of class time that I needed for my IT degree, so it was pretty sweet. Plus, you're spreading a semester across a year. It's not that hard, TBH. I didn't study much for the AP test and got a 2.

Basically, you'll be expected to learn not only facts, but also how the different stuff interacts. For example, the multiple choice answers and the essays will give you a controlled situation and then a cell or a plant or whatever. Then they'll introduce something to change the situation (new temperature, deactivating a chromosome, new environment, etc.) and then based on the facts and relationships that you've learned about this stuff, you have to provide the outcome of the situation with the new variable.

It seems daunting, but if you can stay awake in class and at least study a bit at home, it's really not that bad.
SilentscoutIX
BF2s US Server Admin
+91|6380|Vancouver, BC, Canada
I LOVED AP Biology, it was infinitely more interesting and fun than the stuff I saw the regular kids doing.
I would highly recommend it, well... that's as long as you have a good teacher - which I did.
Benzin
+576|5991
BTW - if your class does labs outside of normal school hours, you BETTER go to them. Like SilentScout said, they're not only fun and interesting (if you like science shit, it's cool), but the labs will greatly help your studying and testing out. The labs all basically take exactly what you've learned, and then give you a physical form. Plus, they're easy and free bonus points!!!

Get a study partner who will also be your typical lab partner. Trying to do the class alone can be a bit tough and having a partner makes it a bit easier since you have two minds attacking a single problem. Just don't pick the class dunce.
warhero1
+12|6441

nukchebi0 wrote:

I heard it was more Al Gore inspired propaganda than an actual academic subject.
LOL that's exactly how my oceanography class was.  Every day the teacher would talk about Al Gore and Bush.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT

Ender2309 wrote:

nuk you're absolutely wrong. al gore is a retard who knows nothing about the environment. perhaps your school has a dumbfuck for a teacher, but its not propaganda at all. its literally about the environment, with only a little bit about how we're fucking it up.
Oh. I had heard from others that is was more concerned with our supposed negative impact than much else.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6456|meh-land

spasticus5 wrote:

take ap bio...that way we can compare notes on trackr haha   

but i have heard at my school that ap bio is just below the difficulty level of ap chem (which is insanely hard, supposedly)
ap chem is really easy, like, pretty much a joke

there's a lot of homework to lower your grade, but the only part that is even remotely difficult is calculating photon and electron emissions when atoms are excited, and even then it's mostly because i didn't bother to read most of the book

it's just all the hw

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard