imortal
+240|6657|Austin, TX
There is no 'golden bullet.'  There is no one, single thing that will solve all of our economic woes.  We need to completely reform the ENTIRE tax code.  We DO need to end cooperate welfare, while still making the US attractive enough that they do not just up and leave.  But we also need to end entitilement spending; more money is spent on entitlement spending each year than is spent on National Defense, the War on Terror, the Iraq War, and the entire budget for manning and maintaining all of the US embassies all over the world.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6684|Calgary

BN wrote:

nothing wrong with tax
You go Lenin 
paul386
+22|6237

logitech487 wrote:

.Whether Democrat or a Republican you will find these statistics enlightening and amazing.
  www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/151.html
Taxes under Clinton 1999                   Taxes under Bush 2008
Single making 30K - tax $8,400           Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $14,000         Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $23,250         Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K - tax $16,800       Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $21,000       Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $38,750     Married making 125K - tax $31,250   
Both democratic candidates will return to the higher tax rates
It is amazing how many people that fall into the categories above think Bush is screwing them and Bill Clinton was the greatest President ever. If Obama or Hillary are elected, they both say they will repeal the Bush tax cuts
Don't forget the hidden inflation tax (devaluation of the dollar through deficit spending) and the massive trouble Bush will cause future generations (which Obama or McCain will be no better about).
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

The Bush tax cuts DID increase tax revenues...but those went unrealized due to increased govt spending.

Obama has said he will offer tax incentives to companies that keep their operations in the US while increasing taxes on companies that ship their operations offshore. On the surface, not a bad idea but I'm wondering about the tariff-like appearance of that policy and the reciprocal implications.

If McCain actually goes through with his pork-barrel cuts, it won't make a huge difference in comparison to the cost of the wars, but it would hopefully set us up for a better budgetary process in the long run.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13rin
+977|6471

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Brinson, this will probably catch you off guard, but I agree with you.  A windfall profits tax on oil companies is NOT a good idea.  The solution to high gas prices is regulating the oil speculative market.
You may agree, but I fear it's for different reasons.  I want that hand let alone, while you want to add another just in a different place.
There is no invisible hand.  Sorry Adam Smith.

I read your post, and the link, and couldn't find where it says Obama wanted to implement (a larger) tax on gas.  Could you please point me to it?
It made the concept easy for you to understand.  You still missed the boat though.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Do you realize McCain has said similar things? He proposed a cap on salaries and regulating CEO pay. How very conservative of him.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

DBBrinson1 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

You may agree, but I fear it's for different reasons.  I want that hand let alone, while you want to add another just in a different place.

I read your post, and the link, and couldn't find where it says Obama wanted to implement (a larger) tax on gas.  Could you please point me to it?
It made the concept easy for you to understand.  You still missed the boat though.
What, that a raise on windfall taxes will raise gas prices?  There are so many other factors that contribute to an artificial rise in gas prices.  Let's talk about that before we start hypothesizing.

How about the lack of new refineries?  How about the government's willingness (borderline collaberations) to pay off the oil cartels?  Sorry, prophesies about a hypothetical rise in gas prices due to corporate brass passing the buck to the consumer to offset a proposed windfall tax isn't really something I am worried about.
13rin
+977|6471

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

What, that a raise on windfall taxes will raise gas prices?  There are so many other factors that contribute to an artificial rise in gas prices.  Let's talk about that before we start hypothesizing.

How about the lack of new refineries?  How about the government's willingness (borderline collaberations) to pay off the oil cartels?  Sorry, prophesies about a hypothetical rise in gas prices due to corporate brass passing the buck to the consumer to offset a proposed windfall tax isn't really something I am worried about.
Cool.  But this thread is about a hypothetical tax.  I'm illustrating that Obahma hasn't a clue.  When in doubt he reaches back and pitches... a tax.  What a surprise.

I'll give ya' a huge Hell Yea about the lack of refineries.  I just know the people to blame for that one too...  Please educate me though, how are we paying off oil cartels.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-06-10 10:56:47)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France

paul386 wrote:

logitech487 wrote:

.Whether Democrat or a Republican you will find these statistics enlightening and amazing.
It is amazing how many people that fall into the categories above think Bush is screwing them and Bill Clinton was the greatest President ever. If Obama or Hillary are elected, they both say they will repeal the Bush tax cuts
Don't forget the hidden inflation tax (devaluation of the dollar through deficit spending) and the massive trouble Bush will cause future generations (which Obama or McCain will be no better about).
From what I've heard, both the Republicans AND the Democrats are going to raise taxes, no matter who's elected.

I think a gas tax is a great idea...I can't wait to pay more for everything I buy at the store.
imortal
+240|6657|Austin, TX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Sorry, prophesies about a hypothetical rise in gas prices due to corporate brass passing the buck to the consumer to offset a proposed windfall tax isn't really something I am worried about.
Hypothetical? Well, strictly speaking, yes.  But do you actually doubt that it would happen?  All taxes on a corperation results in an increase in the cost of its goods or services.  By definition, it must.  The only other option is to keep the price the same, resulting in a loss of profits, and therefore, a lowering of its stock.  In order to keep the price of its stock up, it must keep profits up, so the cost of the tax is added to the cost of gasoline, to be paid by the consumer.

ALL corperate taxes are paid by the consumer, as we are the only income the corperation has.

***EDITED to fix a spelling error, but most likely missed more of them.***

Last edited by imortal (2008-06-10 11:20:06)

13rin
+977|6471

Pug wrote:

From what I've heard, both the Republicans AND the Democrats are going to raise taxes, no matter who's elected.

I think a gas tax is a great idea...I can't wait to pay more for everything I buy at the store.
Actually:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080610/D9176M8O0.html

The Republicans are filibustering as I type this.  Check the bottom of the article.  There was some relief killed by guess who...

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-06-10 11:15:19)

imortal
+240|6657|Austin, TX

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Pug wrote:

Actually:

The Republicans are filibustering as I type this.  Check the bottom of the article.  There was some relief killed by guess who...
You know, there is no actual definition given in the goverment as to what constitutes "price gouging?"
13rin
+977|6471

imortal wrote:

You know, there is no actual definition given in the goverment as to what constitutes "price gouging?"
That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Kmarion wrote:

Do you realize McCain has said similar things? He proposed a cap on salaries and regulating CEO pay. How very conservative of him.
Yea.  I had heard it.... grrrrr.  I didn't vote for McCain in the primary.

*edit @ imortal: me too & wives are good

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-06-10 11:24:16)

jay_courage
Alive in a sea of mediocre
+131|5951|Carnoustie
Raising gas (petrol) prices?????? you guys have no idea!! right now fuel in the UK is £1.20 a litre or $2.34 a litre at current exchange rates, its coming to the point that it makes more financially viable sense to stay at home and clam benefits
I Friggin Love The Nhs
Pug

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Pug wrote:

Actually:

The gas companies make 7% gross margin on oil revenue.

Gouging?
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6483|Menlo Park, CA

logitech487 wrote:

+1 for the post!

People are idiots!! I just got my nice tax break AND my stimulus check in the mail yesterday! To the tune of 2,000 bucks back! You think any Democraps want to give you your money back. . . . .  UMMMMM NO!! They think they and their cronies have all the answers and that government should take care of everything! They are out of their fucking minds!  I'm voting McCain cause he is a genuine guy, a maverick politician, a veteran, and champion of absolutely LESS government (he needs to work on his immigration policy badly). 

Obama is a classic liberal democrat who tows the company line and has ONE intention.  That intention is to go roll back to the old guard of Democrat policy and thats making the government take control of everything.  National fingerprinting. . . . ?? huh?? National mandated health care. . .  . . .? No thanks! Negotiating with Iran?. . . . . . are you high!! He is totally full of shit, wrapped up in a package of oration so people just buy into his crap.  Its absolutely insulting that the media give this asshole a free pass!  Oh yea and I almost forgot. . . . he WILL raise taxes higher than Bill Clinton GUARANTEED.
Pug
I thought about this for a bit.

Maybe the answer isn't to run out and tax the shit out of the everyone in the US indirectly whoops I meant the oil companies.

Maybe the answer is to break up these companies, aka enact the monopoly law.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6335|tropical regions of london
certain people would rather see the top corporations in this country conitnue to make a profit at the expense, not benefit, of the American people.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

fadedsteve wrote:

logitech487 wrote:

+1 for the post!

People are idiots!! I just got my nice tax break AND my stimulus check in the mail yesterday! To the tune of 2,000 bucks back! You think any Democraps want to give you your money back. . . . .  UMMMMM NO!! They think they and their cronies have all the answers and that government should take care of everything! They are out of their fucking minds!  I'm voting McCain cause he is a genuine guy, a maverick politician, a veteran, and champion of absolutely LESS government (he needs to work on his immigration policy badly). 

Obama is a classic liberal democrat who tows the company line and has ONE intention.  That intention is to go roll back to the old guard of Democrat policy and thats making the government take control of everything.  National fingerprinting. . . . ?? huh?? National mandated health care. . .  . . .? No thanks! Negotiating with Iran?. . . . . . are you high!! He is totally full of shit, wrapped up in a package of oration so people just buy into his crap.  Its absolutely insulting that the media give this asshole a free pass!  Oh yea and I almost forgot. . . . he WILL raise taxes higher than Bill Clinton GUARANTEED.
I swear, every time you post, it can make me laugh even when I'm feeling like total shit.
God Save the Queen
Banned
wait till he watches a movie so he could start another thread
Pug

God Save the Queen wrote:

certain people would rather see the top corporations in this country conitnue to make a profit at the expense, not benefit, of the American people.
yep, because corporations are evil since they provide jobs.

i hate working.  everyone should sing more instead.
God Save the Queen
Banned
no one said anything about corporations being evil
Pug
not evil?
God Save the Queen
Banned
are you?