Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6230|Brisneyland

wheels mag wrote:

A UK-based company says it’s developed a world-first system which captures vehicle exhaust gases and converts them back into fuel.

Origo Industries says its system captures CO2 emissions then lets you convert them into bio-oil which can then be used in your car or to power your home. We’re told the system uses algae in a “home unit” to do the trick. And, no, we don’t know any more than that. Yet.

The system bows at what’s said to be the UK’s largest green motor show, next week’s Green-Car-Guide Live! 2008, at Liverpool’s Arena and Convention Centre.
This is interesting and plausible in theory. Getting algae to make fuel may be a technology worth keeping an eye on. The article doesnt specify if the process produces petrol or diesel style fuel. Unfortunately we dont know the full story yet. Perhaps the inventors are scared of oil company hit men, or have already sold the technology to the oil companies.

source

Actually I have just found more. More details
It also seems that some companies have offered him obscene amounts of money ( and have tapped his phone). He used a diesel car in this experiment.

In some ways the system sounds too good to be true. If it works it could be the answer to many of our oil related problems.

Last edited by Burwhale the Avenger (2008-06-07 04:48:58)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina
I just hope he doesn't "disappear."  I can see a number of companies interested in giving him an ultimatum to work with them or else....
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
This may have been successful if it was invented in a country that isn't ruled by Oil corporations. But hey, there's still a small chance I guess. Don't hold your breath, but be thankful it wasn't invented in the US.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
Scenario:

A new product was released last year touted as a solution to the deepening oil crisis; bio-engineered algae designed to expedite the process of carbon fuel creation has mutated.
The ' Super Yeast ' bio-engineered to dramatically increase the rate of metabolic conversion of plant matter to oil has evolved into a mold generating machine covering all plant growth with thick green streamers of algae which break down into a synthetic type oil substance. Where once stood corn stalks a puddling pool of black oil bubbles.

Spoors of the algae spread airborne. The product design to turn waste product and plant material to fuel as now destroyed the South American rain forest, Canadian wheat fields and all farm land in between and threatens to spread world wide, destroying food crops and rice paddies.

Oil prices plummet to $2.50 per barrel. Mass starvation ensues and we all die.

See my sig.

Last edited by ATG (2008-06-07 11:21:41)

Turquoise
O Canada

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

This may have been successful if it was invented in a country that isn't ruled by Oil corporations. But hey, there's still a small chance I guess. Don't hold your breath, but be thankful it wasn't invented in the US.
The EU isn't exactly a non-corporate identity.  In certain ways, you could argue that an inventor like this one is less safe in Europe than here.

EDIT: *looks at ATG's post*  ...and I thought I was paranoid...

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-06-07 11:23:26)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6230|Escea

Anyone remember the guy who ran his car on water, this being that water that burned for some reason? I thought the Army was looking into what he had came up with to use in Hummers, what happened to him?
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6573|England

Thats pretty interesting. So, in theory then, you fill up your car with petrol, and then all the emissions it produces, gets converted and goes back to into your tank. So, would that mean that you would only have to fill up just 1 single time, for every car?

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

In some ways the system sounds too good to be true. If it works it could be the answer to many of our oil related problems.
And goodbye to the ME forever. They wont know whats hit them when we no longer want their oil.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Snake wrote:

Thats pretty interesting. So, in theory then, you fill up your car with petrol, and then all the emissions it produces, gets converted and goes back to into your tank. So, would that mean that you would only have to fill up just 1 single time, for every car?
I thought it said the produce would power your home?  Though I suppose they could work out some way of using it in car engines (all be it different from traditional combustian).  Assuming it was 100% I suppose you would be right.  I doubt that though.

I wouldnt mind high oil prices if the frequency of my visits to the gas station went down.

Martyn
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6647

Bell wrote:

Snake wrote:

I thought it said the produce would power your home?  Though I suppose they could work out some way of using it in car engines (all be it different from traditional combustian).  Assuming it was 100% I suppose you would be right.  I doubt that though.

I wouldnt mind high oil prices if the frequency of my visits to the gas station went down.

Martyn
Did you even read it? It said it could power your car and even your home.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

ThaReaper wrote:

Bell wrote:

Snake wrote:

Martyn
Did you even read it? It said it could power your car and even your home.
fixed just for u
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

I just hope he doesn't "disappear."  I can see a number of companies interested in giving him an ultimatum to work with them or else....
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That was such a good movie...  lol...  Michael Clayton rocked too....
Mugen
+19|6007

Snake wrote:

There's no perpetual motion.
Really don't know how it could power your car and -even- your home. Srsly wtf?
dill13
+67|6201

Mugen wrote:

Snake wrote:

There's no perpetual motion.
Really don't know how it could power your car and -even- your home. Srsly wtf?
I think its more like a more efficient turbo where the gas not completely burned in combustion is used to cause another rotation or you use less fuel after the first combustion maybe upping fuel economy by 50% or something in that ball park.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6230|Brisneyland
Yeah I am sure it just recycles some of your CO2 caught up in the exhaust filter. It would then be turned back into fuel by the algae ( energy would be going in at this point which means its not perpetual motion) which would be used in the car. I am sure that it wouldnt last forever. Nothing is 100% efficient. You would probably have to replace the diesel , or algae after a certain amount of cycles ( this is only an educated guess mind).

The ultimate would be if you could attach this system on your pre-existing car. I am really interested to see how this one turns out.
SoC./Omega
+122|6548|Omaha, Nebraska!
I'm just going to sit back and see what the major car companies do about this so called "global warming"
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6230|Brisneyland

Omega wrote:

I'm just going to sit back and see what the major car companies do about this so called "global warming"
I am not really sure what you are getting at here.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6573|England

Omega wrote:

I think what hes saying (correct me if Im wrong), is that there are already alternate fuels. Top Gear ran cars on both human and cow dung, and there was something in the news about 2 years ago that Oxford University came up with, where the car is powered by Hydrogen, and the only by-product was water.

With the oil companies having so much control, even with the amount of oil left in the world getting less and less every year, its hard to see any other type of fuel kick in properly. Oil companies will go bankrupt (piss off a lot of high-execs) and every petrol station in the country/world would have to be converted. Its a HUGE task to do something like that, and whilst its necessary, government dont want to enforce that for all the hassle it would create. Even if they did it, say, 1 county at a time, it means that people travelling from 1 county to another would get caught out at the pumps if they have to refuel.
Not only that, but you would have to have unilateral agreement from all car companies to include the way the new fuel is handled in the car into their engines.
And, lets say that it did go ahead, and was implemented in 2010, that means all new cars both this year, and in 2009, will become redundant. Unless they can be fitted out with new engines to take the new fuel...

At the end of the day, theres no financial incentive for government or the car companies to do this, as, if anything, they lose money unless we all get charged to use this new fuel method. Which would probably cause 'riots'.

Of course, this method in the OP still requires oil, but even that will have to be replaced at somepoint. Oil reserves will dry up at some time in the future, so the above will still apply to the extent of entirely new engines.
Its a huge task that we, as humanity, will have to face at some point. But, its one that governments, despite their "pro-green stances", are afraid of implementing because of the influence and power the oil companies have as well as the shear hassle involved. This would be the biggest change to our lives if it went ahead, but would also be quite subtle at the same time.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6115|Birmingham, UK

Snake wrote:

Omega wrote:

I think what hes saying (correct me if Im wrong), is that there are already alternate fuels. Top Gear ran cars on both human and cow dung, and there was something in the news about 2 years ago that Oxford University came up with, where the car is powered by Hydrogen, and the only by-product was water.
Hydrogen isn't used for a reason. Not the oil companies, its too hard to store safely without it exploding.

But i agree with the oil companies having too much control.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6573|England

SEREVENT wrote:

Snake wrote:

Hydrogen isn't used for a reason. Not the oil companies, its too hard to store safely without it exploding.

But i agree with the oil companies having too much control.
I believe it was Hydrogen anyway, Im quoting a news report from 2 years ago without the actual source as I cant find it!
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6230|Brisneyland
I would be interested to see how effective the method in the OP is , for the reason that Biodiesel would be a viable source of fuel for this method. Which means that internal combustion engines ( excluding hydrogen) would have an almost unlimited future. There is also a method of converting Coal seam gas to diesel that could feasibly provide diesel for centuries. Its arguable that the worlds sources of coal may not be large enough to supply the demand of the whole world, but it shows that we wont have to get rid of diesel cars for a very long time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX
People really should study thermodynamics before they get too excited about this kind of thing.
Hydrogen
Exhaust gas turned straight into fuel
Make all roads downhill
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6230|Brisneyland

dilbert wrote:

People really should study thermodynamics before they get too excited about this kind of thing.
Hydrogen
Exhaust gas turned straight into fuel
Make all roads downhill
Please elaborate on this.

Last edited by Burwhale the Avenger (2008-06-08 07:23:32)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC

Dilbert_X wrote:

Hydrogen
yeah i heard about the huge explosion at the BMW testing facilities, damn 760h!

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX
Please elaborate on this.
There is no free lunch in energy, you're not going to have a magic machine which turns exhaust gas back into fuel in a usable way, you're not going to be able to make all roads downhill either.
Energy needs to come from somewhere. The algae eating the CO2 need energy from somewhere to push the energetic ball back up the hill.
Assuming its the sun you need a lot of surface area and time to make the conversion.
Are you prepared to give over a tennis court to algae and wait a month to fill your tank? OK, I plucked the figures out of the air.

Hydrogen requires energy make it.
Want H2 from seawater? Build yourself a powerstation and a whole new energy storage and transportation infrastructure.

The energy density and convenience of oil is practically unbeatable, its energy which has been laid down and concentrated over millenia.
Its not going to
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard