SealXo
+309|6546
I'd just llke to let everyone know about something I read about today. And that is the motor in  a prius needs nickel.

This nickel is mined in Sudbury, Ontario. After that it is shipped to China, where it is assembled, and then shipped back to the US.
Now nickel is very, very polluting. So if a prius costs much more more than a yaris which gets 33mpg while a Prius gets 43. so in the cars lifetime the savings of having a yaris is actually 3k less than a prius's savings would be.

So the way to go is get a yaris. That doesn't literally hurt the earth.

Im no hippie im a guzzler but this pisses me off.

Last edited by SealXo (2008-06-06 16:09:03)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France
I also heard that the prius uses as much gas as sedans if you are in a cold climate, but I heard that from a fellow texan who thinks if you drive a prius you have lots of other issues.

I'm sure we'll (aka toyota) will get it right eventually...ps. hurry up.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
so how is a H2 (1mpg) worse.

I don't get it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ReTox
+100|6509|State of RETOXification
Hydrogen is the future... if the oil companies ever let it happen.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum

ReTox wrote:

Not at the moment unfortunatly.

Lack of proper investment leaves it pretty wasteful (in terms of extraction/manufacture etc) - And the only filling station i've publically seen is in Berlin.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6660

Shame you look like even more of a cunt in a Hummer than a Prius really. And I thought it'd been known for quite a while that Prius's weren't anywhere near as environmentally friendly as they claimed.
SealXo
+309|6546

FatherTed wrote:

I don't get it.
The nickel mining needed for the motors is a very very polluting process.
More polluting than a hummer ever could be

I also dont know how hydrogen could work if it emits water vapor wouldnt that rise humitidy which rises global warming?

Last edited by SealXo (2008-06-06 16:31:03)

ReTox
+100|6509|State of RETOXification

FatherTed wrote:

ReTox wrote:

Lack of proper investment leaves it pretty wasteful (in terms of extraction/manufacture etc) - And the only filling station i've publically seen is in Berlin.
True but it isn't because of a lack of technology, it's there it just needs serious refinements and widespread acceptance. 

Oil is a finite resource, thus the less we have the more it will cost, which only benefits big oil.  Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.  I mean EVERYTHING is made from hydrogen.  It wouldn't shock me to find out big oil actively and aggressively "dissuades" hydrogen fuel cell advancement.

Last edited by ReTox (2008-06-06 16:32:03)

SealXo
+309|6546

ReTox wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

ReTox wrote:

True but it isn't because of a lack of technology, it's there it just needs serious refinements and widespread acceptance. 

Oil is a finite resource, thus the less we have the more it will cost, which only benefits big oil.  Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.  I mean EVERYTHING is made from hydrogen.  It wouldn't shock me to find out big oil actively and aggressively "dissuades" hydrogen fuel cell advancement.
Like I said above if hydrogen emits only "cool clean water vapor" then wouldnt that raise humidity?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
I prefer switching things over to electric cars myself....
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6346|Oregon
The idea that owning a Prius somehow makes you environmentally conscious is absurd to me. As a financial decision, it makes sense. I think you might save quite a bit of money in the long run... but thinking you're doing your part - or even part of your part to save the environment is just plain silly.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

ReTox wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

ReTox wrote:

Stop and think about your logic for a minute. If big oil energy companies are dependent on a finite resource, wouldn't it make sense for them to research other energy sources in order to guarantee their future? There is money to be made in the conversion of hydrogen into usable energy. Just like the majority of big oils profit comes from the refining process. I think you are forgetting what dictates the cost per barrel.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

ReTox wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Stop and think about your logic for a minute. If big oil energy companies are dependent on a finite resource, wouldn't it make sense for them to research other energy sources in order to guarantee their future? There is money to be made in the conversion of hydrogen into usable energy. Just like the majority of big oils profit comes from the refining process. I think you are forgetting what dictates the cost per barrel.
True...  for the most part, Big Oil has funded alternative energy methods to plan for the future, but it's also so that they can control when we actually switch to the next energy source.  Many oil alternatives are finite resources themselves or require expensive energy harnessing methods.
SoC./Omega
+122|6551|Omaha, Nebraska!
I saw something that said if we switched to electric cars, it would still cost the US the same amount of money as oil every year. Because, the batteries would run out, and you would get it replaced at a carwash type deal, where it would take out the old battery and put in the new one as you were slowly going along.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

ghettoperson wrote:

Shame you look like even more of a cunt in a Hummer than a Prius really. And I thought it'd been known for quite a while that Prius's Pious's weren't anywhere near as environmentally friendly as they claimed.
Fixed.
Turquoise
O Canada

SoC./Omega wrote:

I saw something that said if we switched to electric cars, it would still cost the US the same amount of money as oil every year. Because, the batteries would run out, and you would get it replaced at a carwash type deal, where it would take out the old battery and put in the new one as you were slowly going along.
That's completely wrong.  You don't change out batteries on electric cars until they go bad.  There are prototypes out now where you can plug them in while your car sits in your garage.

The only real concern with electric cars is that most batteries have some very environmentally unfriendly chemicals in them, so crashes would be messier than normal.  Aside from that, you have more electricity usage, which means more pollution from power plants, but if we move more towards plants that don't use coal or oil, then this is less of a concern.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

ReTox wrote:

True...  for the most part, Big Oil has funded alternative energy methods to plan for the future, but it's also so that they can control when we actually switch to the next energy source.  Many oil alternatives are finite resources themselves or require expensive energy harnessing methods.
Consider this. If the energy companies had more control it might actually benefit the consumer. Right now the biggest influence of cost is subject to a foreign conglomerate. Here in the states OPEC's practices would be punishable by law. There is little room for competitive pricing under the current system (the backbone of the free market). If US based companies had greater control over the supply of energy then each company would be subject to the Anti-trust/Pricing fixing laws currently in place.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SealXo
+309|6546

djphetal wrote:

The idea that owning a Prius somehow makes you environmentally conscious is absurd to me. As a financial decision, it makes sense. I think you might save quite a bit of money in the long run... but thinking you're doing your part - or even part of your part to save the environment is just plain silly.
You would save more money with a yaris over 100k miles by 5k$'s is the statistic i read.
While you would only save 3k with a prius because of the higher msrp.

Personally I say we suck the fuckers dry.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Consider this. If the energy companies had more control it might actually benefit the consumer. Right now the biggest influence of cost is subject to a foreign conglomerate. Here in the states OPEC's practices would be punishable by law. There is little room for competitive pricing under the current system (the backbone of the free market). If US based companies had greater control over the supply of energy then each company would be subject to the Anti-trust/Pricing fixing laws currently in place.
If we're specifically talking about OPEC's effects, then the fix is 2-fold.  Drill more here and build more refineries.  It's not about giving companies more control -- it's about opening up certain aspects of the market.  I figure you agree with those 2 initiatives anyway though.
The#1Spot
+105|6550|byah

SealXo wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I don't get it.

I also dont know how hydrogen could work if it emits water vapor wouldnt that rise humitidy which rises global warming?
Wow another global warming loser.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

If we're specifically talking about OPEC's effects, then the fix is 2-fold.  Drill more here and build more refineries.  It's not about giving companies more control -- it's about opening up certain aspects of the market.  I figure you agree with those 2 initiatives anyway though.
There is a reason the market isn't opening up. Do you think they don't want more supply? It also cost billions to build a refinery. Given the current political atmosphere and attitude towards oil why would an energy company invest that kind of money into a limited future? Nothing impacts the cost of fuel as much as the decisions of OPEC. This is a fact. To be competitive a company needs to be able to control it's expenses. Cheaper fuel will only come when the energy industry can compete amongst itself. Right now there is no competition. These are the basic rules of economics. The fundamental reasons for current price is fixed by foreign entities. Like I said, under current anti-trust laws this would not be possible in the states. I don't think I can write it out any simpler. I know the thought of giving a company more control is scary for you. But understand they will be waging a price war against each other to attract customers. This always benefits the market.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CloakedStarship
+76|6576
I'm not sure how many people care about the environment, i'm pretty sure that at this point, its just about saving money on gas.  I couldn't give a shit if a prius will save X amount of trees, if its gonna save me bundles on gas in the long term, then I'm game.
SealXo
+309|6546

The#1Spot wrote:

SealXo wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I don't get it.

Im intellectual.

I actually drive a 396 68 Camaross.

I go to ontario every summer and its the most beautiful place i have ever been. Its the only place I can get away. And sudbury is just a few hours away. So the last thing i want is ottawa valley to get fucked.

I mostly want to save some money because my car sure isnt gettin the job done.
edit: oh and if  i dont save money i wont be able to spend a grand on a airfare.

Last edited by SealXo (2008-06-06 17:45:52)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

I believe this has been mentioned before. Environmental groups refuse to look at what engineers have known for decades: there is an overall energy/pollution budget associated with every process that has to be taken into account. It's not like those batteries miracled themselves into existence...or into a car body or across the ocean or across the country.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada

The#1Spot wrote:

SealXo wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I don't get it.

Wow, another person willing to stick his head in the sand about something most of the scientific community is concerned about.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard