Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6330

Watch this video. Not a single person they asked seemed to know jack shit about the elections...Now I'm just beginning to feel that the majority of our population is like this...

Is it only limited to this topic, or do you think people generally are this stupid about everything?

So how did it end up like this?

Why are people so damn dumb?

Is there any hope for prosperity in this nation?

Is there just so many people watching TV and FAUX News that is causing this?

If people don't have the power to reason and to criticize the government, then the government becomes the controlling force in a nation and will grant itself the right to do as it may please. We can not survive as individuals in this state.

So what next?
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY
I watched 2.5 minutes of that, and honestly, if I were on vacation and some jackass with a camera decided to grill me about political issues, I would not give him a clear answer either.  It appeared that none of the answers seemed good enough--if they picked an issue that they support, he kept asking for another.

If I had a camera and did that for "Favorite Foods", how many people would stammer and get flustered?  And if I edited the tape to only show the people who had no idea what they were talking about, I could try to show how Americans are ignorant or something.

I understand the point, and yes, many people really have no idea what the hell is going on, but these videos are not really proof of anything.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6647|Camoran's Paradise
I see nothing alarming.  Almost every person they talked to looked like ignorant college dropout.  On top of that, I'm sure they cut out a lot of people who were sensible and knowledgeable.  Besides, who goes looking for intelligent answers at a beach?
This kind of reminds me of that clipped BBC interview....

Last edited by Ganko_06 (2008-06-04 22:36:39)

Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708

SenorToenails wrote:

I watched 2.5 minutes of that, and honestly, if I were on vacation and some jackass with a camera decided to grill me about political issues, I would not give him a clear answer either.  It appeared that none of the answers seemed good enough--if they picked an issue that they support, he kept asking for another.

If I had a camera and did that for "Favorite Foods", how many people would stammer and get flustered?  And if I edited the tape to only show the people who had no idea what they were talking about, I could try to show how Americans are ignorant or something.

I understand the point, and yes, many people really have no idea what the hell is going on, but these videos are not really proof of anything.
QFT
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT
The amount of editing that is possible with a video negates its ability to prove a general trend.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6330

Ganko_06 wrote:

On top of that, I'm sure they cut out a lot of people who were sensible and knowledgeable. 
Then you have to ask though, what are the intentions of the people making the video? To completely make it appear that people are morons?

Wouldn't they throw in SOME good answers just to give credit to the general populous?

SenorToenails wrote:

I watched 2.5 minutes of that, and honestly, if I were on vacation and some jackass with a camera decided to grill me about political issues, I would not give him a clear answer either.
If I was approached on a beach where I was leisurely laying down bidding my time, why wouldn't I give a person some time to talk? Are you saying the people on the beach intentionally dumbed down their questions to get out of the interview so they can continue with their tan? Thats a joke.

SenorToenails wrote:

It appeared that none of the answers seemed good enough--if they picked an issue that they support, he kept asking for another.
An issue they support?? What person on there gave any indication of an issue they supported?? Name one!
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6687|United States of America
I don't even talk to my good friends about politics or the candidates outside of impartial news coverage. I certainly wouldn't talk to some stranger on a beach. It doesn't seem like the cameraman could answer any of the questions he's asking, though.

I'm amazed that I will talk policy and whatnot here, for that matter.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Ganko_06 wrote:

On top of that, I'm sure they cut out a lot of people who were sensible and knowledgeable. 
Then you have to ask though, what are the intentions of the people making the video? To completely make it appear that people are morons?

Wouldn't they throw in SOME good answers just to give credit to the general populous?
That might be the case. Since you don't know their agenda, you can't assume they would do something.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

Im_Dooomed wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

I watched 2.5 minutes of that, and honestly, if I were on vacation and some jackass with a camera decided to grill me about political issues, I would not give him a clear answer either.
If I was approached on a beach where I was leisurely laying down bidding my time, why wouldn't I give a person some time to talk? Are you saying the people on the beach intentionally dumbed down their questions to get out of the interview so they can continue with their tan? Thats a joke.
No, that's not what I mean.  What I mean is I would limit myself to short answers to get this jerkoff to go away.  When I go out to have fun, I don't want some asshole ruining my day with questions and a video camera.  There are other people like that in this world.

Im_Dooomed wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

It appeared that none of the answers seemed good enough--if they picked an issue that they support, he kept asking for another.
An issue they support?? What person on there gave any indication of an issue they supported?? Name one!
They asked that old guy, he said something like "defense of America".  Another guy said something to the effect of "Iraq, like he said".  They didn't show his conversation though.  I wonder why.  Regardless, after these responses, he asked "how about another issue?"
Volatile
+252|6706|Sextupling in Empire

Most Americans are ignorant, and would be more interested in American idol than who we're handing the fate of our nation over to.

I personally won't even be remotely interested in presidential race until a month before the elections. At that time I will look at each of the senators voting records and make my judgment then. I've learned that you can't possibly go by the word of any of those lying douchebags, so why waste your time watching debates filled with their meaningless babble.
Ratzinger
+43|6394|Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Watch this video. Not a single person they asked seemed to know jack shit about the elections...Now I'm just beginning to feel that the majority of our population is like this...

Is it only limited to this topic, or do you think people generally are this stupid about everything?

So how did it end up like this?

Why are people so damn dumb?

Is there any hope for prosperity in this nation?

Is there just so many people watching TV and FAUX News that is causing this?

If people don't have the power to reason and to criticize the government, then the government becomes the controlling force in a nation and will grant itself the right to do as it may please. We can not survive as individuals in this state.

So what next?
This revelation is the beginning of the end. You have just realised that the species is doomed. Have a nice day.
PureFodder
+225|6287
Don't trust these videos. Ask a hundred people from anywhere enough questions and you can create a wonderful montage of how dumb, or how intelligent they are depending upon what you want to show.

It's in both major parties interests to keep people unaware of their policies. If people were fully aware of all the issues and how all the candidates sat on those issues, chances are a third party would be elected.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
'Idiocracy' is a good film if you get the chance.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ
Compared to the videos where people are asked to point to Iran and they point to Australia, I'd say these folks were quite informed... Also, as pointed out by SenorToenails, the beach isn't really the best place to be asking about particular policies.
ƒ³
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

SenorToenails wrote:

If it's the same Clearwater Beach I know then chances are they have been drink all day in the sun at the tiki bars.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6724|Eastern PA

DrunkFace wrote:

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard