lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

chittydog wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/17/iraq.quran/index.html

CNN wrote:

The U.S. military on Saturday formally apologized to an Iraqi village after a soldier admitted using the Quran -- Islam's holy book -- for target practice.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond apologizes after a soldier admitted using the Quran for target practice.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond, commander of U.S. forces in Baghdad, apologized to the Radhwaniya tribe for the staff sergeant, who was a sniper section leader assigned to the headquarters of the 64th Armored Regiment. He also read a letter of apology by the shooter.

"I come before you here seeking your forgiveness," Hammand said to tribal leaders and others at the apology ceremony. "In the most humble manner I look in your eyes today and I say please forgive me and my soldiers."

Another military official kissed a Quran and presented it as "a humble gift" to the tribal leaders.

The shooter, whose name was not released, shot at a Quran on May 9, villagers said. The Quran used in the incident was discovered two days later, according to the military.

A tribal leader said "the criminal act by U.S. forces" took place at a shooting range at the Radhwaniya police station. After the shooters left, an Iraqi policeman found a target marked in the middle of the bullet-riddled Quran.

Copies of the pictures of the Quran obtained by CNN show multiple bullet holes and an expletive scrawled on one of its pages.

A military investigation found the shooter guilty and relieved him of duty; he will be redeployed to the United States for reassignment away from the 1st Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division, Hammond said.

"The actions of one soldier were nothing more than criminal behavior," he said in the apology. "I've come to this land to protect you, to support you -- not to harm you -- and the behavior of this soldier was nothing short of wrong and unacceptable."

Tribal leaders, dignitaries and local security officials attended the ceremony, while residents carried banners and chanted slogans, including "Yes, yes to the Quran" and "America out, out."
Come on. It's because of stuff like this that these people hate us. Regardless of your feelings, provoking them like that is not only pointless, it's completely counter-productive. What did he hope to accomplish? This is the equivalent of pissing on a bee hive after a bee stings you, it's just going to bring the whole colony after your ass.

I wouldn't say (as he did) that this was criminal behavior, but it's definitely stupid, dangerous and counter-productive. I hope he thinks long and hard about the ramifications of his actions and how many new recruits the insurgents will get from this.
This guy shot a book, they televise be-headings, murder and mutilate Americans and hang their bodies from a bridge. Yet this is where your/their outrage lies? Go figure.

Any chance that shooting that book was "provoked" by these actions and that these actions are what is "counter productive and pointless"? When was the public apology for these actions, or the outrage for that matter?
David.P
Banned
+649|6275

lowing wrote:

This guy shot a book, they televise be-headings, murder and mutilate Americans and hang their bodies from a bridge. Yet this is where your/their outrage lies? Go figure.

Any chance that shooting that book was "provoked" by these actions and that these actions are what is "counter productive and pointless"? When was the public apology for these actions, or the outrage for that matter?
It's Islam what do you expect?
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

lowing wrote:

We don't hold adults to the same standards as children.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

chittydog wrote:

Come on. It's because of stuff like this that these people hate us. Regardless of your feelings, provoking them like that is not only pointless, it's completely counter-productive.
At the same time, would anyone care if he shot a Book of Mormon?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Come on. It's because of stuff like this that these people hate us. Regardless of your feelings, provoking them like that is not only pointless, it's completely counter-productive.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh nope

and certainly a 4 star general wouldn't be apologizing for it, but then again, the Mormons wouldn't go around blowing up children in protest over it either. Gotta love Islam boy.....
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
Islam: we put the mental in fundamentalism.
zeidmaan
+234|6416|Vienna

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

It doesnt matter. What matters is that people all around him DO care that he shot the Quran. People that he fights shoulder to shoulder with DO care that he shot it. It was a stupid thing to do period. Its a war of propaganda and ideology and he took a step backwards.
I understand that he is in a different frame of mind than me (in my comfy chair). But going to a shared shooting ground, shooting up the Quran, writting "fucks yeah" or whatever and LEAVING IT THERE for Iraqis to find is just plain old stupid.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

zeidmaan wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

It doesnt matter. What matters is that people all around him DO care that he shot the Quran. People that he fights shoulder to shoulder with DO care that he shot it. It was a stupid thing to do period. Its a war of propaganda and ideology and he took a step backwards.
I understand that he is in a different frame of mind than me (in my comfy chair). But going to a shared shooting ground, shooting up the Quran, writting "fucks yeah" or whatever and LEAVING IT THERE for Iraqis to find is just plain old stupid.
That's a great post, except for one thing: I didn't say whether or not it mattered. It's kinda silly, agreed (recall the monkey slapping scene on 'Night at the Museum'), but there are some double-standards going on.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-05-28 18:41:14)

SoC./Omega
+122|6542|Omaha, Nebraska!
Dumb move.  He knows better, and the anger got to him. One thing is though, they don't need to broadcast this on the news or their website if their goal is to get people not to hate us and kill more innocent people.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky
https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/darthdilbert/Blog/2PlyKoran.gif
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6208

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I feel the people in the middle east need to see more of this.  Many of the people there are forced into Islam and with the war on, now would be a good time for people to lash back at that repressive belief system that causes the world so much grief.  Maybe if the US military went into Iraq with more of a " fuck you we bow to nobody's beliefs " and entered the Mosques, killed Al Sadar's Soldiers, executed defiant Clerics, and didn't show weakness when faced with religious intollerance it would have emboldened the local population to give the finger to the establishment that repressed them for centuries.

Fuck Islam, draw any cartoon you want and mention Mohamad by name.  Just because some uneducated desert tribes allow themselves to be repressed by it, this doesn't mean the whole world has too.  What the Military did just showed the people that they fear Islam and reinforced their belief that the US military are infidels who will bow before the will of Allah and be defeated.

The poor uneducated people of Iraq need jobs, freedom, and protection from Islamic Society, Islamic Laws, and Islamic Tribal Rule.
But its perfectly acceptable for them to burn bibles / flags / white people.
ExtremeSpy506
Code Red Pro Sniper Guy
+45|6639|Olympus Mons, Mars

S.Lythberg wrote:

eh, Muslims need to get over it.

It's just a bunch of paper after all, it's the message thats important, not the physical paper, why can't people ever understand this?
Yes, but that is wrong. It isn't just a 'bunch' of paper. It's THE ONLY WAY to actually GET the message. And you shoot at it? It's like shitting up an only program to save your computer from an all-out virus. Yes, there are millions of copies, but just shooting ONE of them is like destroying the message whole.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

ExtremeSpy506 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

eh, Muslims need to get over it.

It's just a bunch of paper after all, it's the message thats important, not the physical paper, why can't people ever understand this?
Yes, but that is wrong. It isn't just a 'bunch' of paper. It's THE ONLY WAY to actually GET the message. And you shoot at it? It's like shitting up an only program to save your computer from an all-out virus. Yes, there are millions of copies, but just shooting ONE of them is like destroying the message whole.
The Israelis better watch out...  Somebody's been burning Korans...  The Palestinians might attack them even more than normal...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/ … newssearch

Oh wait, they were burning New Testaments.  I guess that means we should expect some Christians to start beheading Israelis...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

SoC./Omega wrote:

Dumb move.  He knows better, and the anger got to him. One thing is though, they don't need to broadcast this on the news or their website if their goal is to get people not to hate us and kill more innocent people.
That's just it: bad news is good news.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard