Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Long-Fall
4. Bend your knees. Possibly nothing is more important to surviving a fall (or simpler to do) than bending your knees. Research has shown that having one’s knees bent at impact can reduce the magnitude of impact forces 36-fold.

5. Relax. Relaxing during a long fall—especially as you near the ground—is easier said than done, but try anyway. If your muscles are tense, your body will transfer force more directly to your vital organs. Studies of long-fall survivors have shown that those who reported being relaxed suffered, on average, far less severe injuries than those who reported being panicked or tense. It has also been shown that people who jump intentionally and those who are intoxicated at the time of the fall have disproportionately higher survival rates than fall victims in general. While the reason for these higher survival rates is unclear, one likely explanation is that people who are drunk or who actually want to die may be more relaxed before and upon impact. One way to remain (relatively) calm is to focus on performing the steps and being aware of your body. Doing so gives you something else to think about besides impending death.

6. Land feet-first. No matter what height you fall from, you should always try to land on your feet. While landing feet-first concentrates the impact force on a small area, it also allows your feet and legs to absorb the worst of the impact. If you are in any other position, try to right yourself before you hit the ground (fortunately, attaining the feet-first position seems to be an instinctive reaction). Keep your feet and legs tightly together so that both your feet hit the ground at the same time.

7. Land on the balls of your feet! Point your toes slightly down before impact so that you will land on the balls of your feet. This will allow your lower body to more effectively absorb the impact.

8. Try to roll. This can absorb the impact greatly by moving your body's force across the ground instead of straight into it. Tuck your arm under your leg and roll your head towards your chest as soon as you hit the ground. Make sure you do not roll after you've 'bounced' off the ground once you've landed.

9. Protect your head on the bounce. When you fall from a great height onto land, you will usually bounce. Some people who survive the initial impact (often with a feet-first landing) suffer a fatal injury on their second impact. Cover your head with your arms. One technique for doing so is to put your arms on the sides of your head with your elbows facing forward (and projecting in front of your face) and your fingers laced behind your head or neck. This covers a large portion of your head, but obviously not all of it. If you have time to get an indication of which way you’re bouncing (and hence which part of your head you’re likely to hit), you can quickly adjust your arms to cover that part of your head.

10. Control the orientation of your body on the bounce. As you would expect, mortality is highest when the initial point of impact is the head. Mortality declines (in this order) when the point of impact is ventral (the front of the body), dorsal (back of the body), lateral (side of the body), and feet-first. Assuming you succeed in taking the brunt of the initial impact feet-first, you should try to control your body upon initial impact and during the bounce so that you land on your side or back on the second impact. Ideally, you should twist your hips to one side or the other immediately upon initial impact. At much lower velocities (such as those experienced with a proper parachute-assisted landing), this motion will help you distribute the force first through your legs, then through your buttocks and shoulder. In reality, you will be going as much as five or six times faster than you would with a parachute and your control over your body’s motion will be severely limited. The key is to stay aware of your body and your surroundings and, even in midair on the bounce, try to get your body to land first on your legs or side.

11. Get medical help immediately. With all the adrenaline flowing in response to your flight, you may not even feel injured upon landing. Even if you are not visibly injured, you may have sustained fractures or internal injuries that must be treated immediately. No matter how you’re feeling, get to a hospital as quickly as possible.

* If you land in a forest there is a chance you will get impaled on a tree or bush.
Sweet feathery jesus ^
Xbone Stormsurgezz
i g
Banned
+876|5857|GA

David.P wrote:

Duck and Cover.
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6148|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Meh, I['m off to bed, keep em comin tho.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6446|Ontario, Canada
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.
What will tell you to do you won't. In the split second you fall your subconcous will control you. USually putting your arms out.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum

S.Lythberg wrote:

step into it, and roll.
If you were to land on your feet, rigid, most of the bones from your hip downwards would just shatter - you'd possibly never walk again.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

FatherTed wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

step into it, and roll.
If you were to land on your feet, rigid, most of the bones from your hip downwards would just shatter - you'd possibly never walk again.
Relax and bend your knees.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
UUD40
+8|6364|San Diego, CA
Press 9...
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL

FatherTed wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

step into it, and roll.
not flat footed, straight kneed, or you'd send your femurs through your shoulders...

I meant feet (the ball, not heel) first, knees bent, and then fall forward, and roll.

It's very effective
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Land on your feet and make sure you bend your knees a whole lot and roll to absorb the impact.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6543|CH/BR - in UK

That just reminded me of the worst case scenario booklets. I had almost memorized two of them (don't know if there are more). Really interesting stuff. *looks for them*

-konfusion
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6107|Tampa, Florida

^^^Watch and take notes.
Hit the ground on the balls of your feet and roll, 20-25 feet is nothing serious I jump from my second story and practice parkour in my backyard, some of the pros jump 40+ feet and are unharmed.

Last edited by GorillaKing798 (2008-05-27 19:07:30)

twiistaaa
+87|6661|mexico
i don't know how much or how stupid they look but you could get some type of safety harness if the chance of you falling is so high.
Wallpaper
+303|5987|The pool

UUD40 wrote:

Press spam 9...
Hakei
Banned
+295|5988

twiistaaa wrote:

i don't know how much or how stupid they look but you could get some type of safety harness if the chance of you falling is so high.
Defeats the point.
imortal
+240|6658|Austin, TX

FatherTed wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

step into it, and roll.
Phah!  I saw a guy jump out of a 4th story window and land on his feet with his knees locked (he was trying to escape from a dozen people hell-bent on beating him within an inch of his life; lesser of two evils).  He did indeed shatter most of the bones in his feet and legs, but he still maganed to walk again after several weeks in the hospital and a year and a half of physical theropy.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5906|...

Dissipation of Force

When you fall and land on your feet (or your hands), the force is dispersed through two mechanisms:

Time:  By allowing a landing to occur over a longer period of time, force is more effectively spread out. Using a foot first fall as an example, time may be increased by landing on the feet, then compressing at the knees, the hips and even rolling onto the back. Imagine falling with your ankles, knees and hips locked. In this case, less landing time would equal much pain.

Surface Area:  By spreading the landing force over a greater surface area on the body, less chance of injury should also occur. This simple increase in surface area occurs as your feet flatten during compression and if or when you roll onto your side or back. Concentrating the landing force on a small area, such as a single foot or hand, greatly increases the chance of a snapping bone.

^I got this from a bouldering safety site...I think it explains landing from a significant(but not crazy high) height pretty well...so the longer your landing takes, the less  it hurts...if you know that now you may remember that as you fall as opposed to a step by step list of how to land...lol
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6305

Kmarion wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

step into it, and roll.
Relax and bend your knees.
Pray to god you get knocked out before you fall...

Episode of The Human Body, Pushing the limits! from the Discovery Channel.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6685|Calgary

Cheez wrote:

Just start running really fast as soon as you hit the ground.
hmmm watching Bugs Bunny again....................................
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6114|Punta Gorda,Florida
here the thing if you fall 20-25 ft you really dont have time to do nothing but hit the ground. thats the plain truth. i know as a roofer of over 17 yrs ive fallen off and through roofs. to many to count. 
if you fall feet 1st you most likely will land feet 1st and the force will make you hit the ground and roll a bit.  30 ft you will do about the same but will most likely break something, ankle,foot, blow out a knee.  the higher the fall the more time you have to plan your landing. shot falls under 25 ft you dont. you barley have time to react.
you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6385|Southern California
Swan-dive
imortal
+240|6658|Austin, TX

LOG wrote:

here the thing if you fall 20-25 ft you really dont have time to do nothing but hit the ground. thats the plain truth. i know as a roofer of over 17 yrs ive fallen off and through roofs. to many to count. 
if you fall feet 1st you most likely will land feet 1st and the force will make you hit the ground and roll a bit.  30 ft you will do about the same but will most likely break something, ankle,foot, blow out a knee.  the higher the fall the more time you have to plan your landing. shot falls under 25 ft you dont. you barley have time to react.
This is pretty true.  I know in the army, they train airborne troops to perform a PLF (Parachute Landing Fall) as a matter of course.  Try practicing how to fall for hours at a time.  It is mostly to build up reflexes and muscle memory, precisely because you do not always have time to think about what you are going to do.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5906|...

imortal wrote:

LOG wrote:

This is pretty true.  I know in the army, they train airborne troops to perform a PLF (Parachute Landing Fall) as a matter of course.  Try practicing how to fall for hours at a time.  It is mostly to build up reflexes and muscle memory, precisely because you do not always have time to think about what you are going to do.
this makes sense if the OP was is a situation in which he would ALWAYS be at risk of falling...but should you practice falling for hours if you might possibly one day be asked to help on the roof?...lol...
twiistaaa
+87|6661|mexico

Hakei wrote:

twiistaaa wrote:

Defeats the point.
well if hes going to hurt himself from something preventable and he is asking the best way to save himself, then i don't see how it would be pointless?

i doubt he is going to be able to do all the things people are telling him to do within the 1 second it will take him to hit the ground. especially if he is falling backwards, upside down or with tools in his hands.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6642
I just you'd have to do a parachute landing..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard